• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tratorn

Oct 25, 2017
Fully deserved scores for RDR2 and Astro Bot. :)
AC:O should be an 8 at least though. It's still a great OW game, even after playing RDR2.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I think its funny how EDGE carries themselves as a publication that prioritizes gameplay and tight controls . level design n such but then kinda have a soft spot for Rockstar games. Not that I mind , I think RDR 2 is the best game this year by far.

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
But have you played it?

It has control issues but once you tweak them and you become accustomed this game is one of the best of the generation, if not the best. Also, latest pages there are far less complaints and more people appreciating it.

^ What he said. A lot of people argue in review threads without even have the game. That said, it's a solid 9 for me, but each with their own. Some people like it more, others a bit less.

Great score for Astro Bot as well.

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
But have you played it?

It has control issues but once you tweak them and you become accustomed this game is one of the best of the generation, if not the best. Also, latest pages there are far less complaints and more people appreciating it.

I am sure I'll love it. I loved gta4 and gta 5 so this games seems right my alley. Unfortunately going trough a rough patch so can't spend cash on my hobbies at the moment

You know, different reviewers might have different preferences?

Yes different reviewer. Still most review of edge are like this. With few exceptions. Some people put huge emphasis on scores but also they can't make my decision just looking at the scores.

TheExecutive

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My issues with RDR2's controls disappeared when I changed the setting for dead zone to 0, acceleration up all the way, and look and aim sensitivity to around 75%. Shooting actually feels quite nice in the game.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
AC too low and RDR2 too high. In fact, I may have had my issues with AC but I think I appreciate more after the gameplay in Red Dead. Still, I respect Edge's opinions as usual.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
My issues with RDR2's controls disappeared when I changed the setting for dead zone to 0, acceleration up all the way, and look and aim sensitivity to around 75%. Shooting actually feels quite nice in the game.
Indeed, I was an total hater of the shooting controls in RDR2 but changing the deadzone and acceleration turned it all around for me. Playing with "free aim" actually works well in this game this way. It's just the default settings are really just that bad. This is probably the best protip anyone playing the game could get.

Cover game is Devil May Cry 5 by the way.

IMG_1797.JPG.e0b2e88fcaf157e9e129be7d69e58f0a.JPG

Courtesy of rllmukforum.

Very nice

Last edited:

Wise

Oct 27, 2017
Good scores. I still cannot understand all these 10/10 for RDR2. But it's their opinion and I respect it. I'm happy for Astrobot

Oct 27, 2017
RDR2 deserves that 10. As for gameplay, it has a deliberate philosophy throughout, so that is a matter of taste. I for one like the weightiness of all the games controls, it suits Arthur.

Boy Wander

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
UK
Just got my copy through the post and was about to make a thread.

Not surprised about the 10 for RDR2 given the glowing preview that they gave it.

Obra Dinn sounds like a really interesting premise. I selfishly hope it gets a console release as I'm not a PC gamer at all.

Evangelista

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
RDR 2 doesn`t deserve 10 and Odissey deserve at least 8.5

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Nice score for Astro Bot! I wonder if it's the highest score they've given for a VR only title.

I expected a 10 for RDR2 from their preview of the game. A great game, marred by clunky controls and glitches.

Oct 29, 2017
Im convinced anyone who scores AC: Odyssey under a 90 has their views too clouded to what the series was previously.

Odyssey is a mediocre to bad Assassins creed. It is an Excellent character Action RPG.

Gameplay wise its closer to Nier: Automata than AC: Unity.

It's hilarious when people post stuff like this. Irs gameplay is exactly like Origins but with parrying. The combat feels like complete shit. No weight to anything.

Bigjig

Jun 4, 2018

Yep, it feels like a completely different after messing around with the settings. Still don't know why they used the default settings that they did though

Gorgosh

Oct 26, 2017
RDR2's score confirms Edge doesn't rate games for their actual gameplay.
I like the gameplay in RDR2 and thought the gameplay in GTA5 was mediocore. I am not even a fan of Rockstar or GTA and still think RDR2 ist one of the best games of the generation and the gameplay is fine. Maybe the reviewer thought this too and could adapt to the controls better than other people.

LifeLine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Guess I gotta check out Obra Dinn. How was that other game by the dev of Her Story, I forget what it was called but it was based on some old movie or something.

Oct 29, 2017
RDR2's score confirms Edge doesn't rate games for their actual gameplay.

The gameplay is fine if you aren't blind and can see that the game has options for fine tuning your controls

RDR2's gameplay is fine. If Edge rated games for just their gameplay (which is silly that you'd even think that), Odyssey would have an even worse score.

kpaadet

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Reading rdr2 ot paints a different picture. It's a great experience but gameplay is not that good

This is why I never like edge that much. They don't have consistensy amount reviews.
Consistency? You are aware it's not a single person reviewing all those games right? Besides what consistency is expected for reviews other than giving a good score to a game they enjoy and a bad score to games they don't.

Oct 27, 2017
I actually agree with their scores for once. Well for the most part. RDR2 is a definite 10, and I'd say Odyssey is an 8 but I can get why it'd rate a 7.

Oct 29, 2017
Imagine if music magazines rated albums for anything else but the music itself.

Video gamed are unique in that come in various different forms. Some reviewers may like aspects of a game over another, which can lead to different opinions about things. Can you understand that? Games are not just about gameplay anymore.

Chalfonts

Banned
Apr 3, 2018
told you astro bot would score well

edge commends gameplay. They don't commend clunky, puerile, wannabe cinematic shit

there is no bias against sony