1. Eolz

Eolz
    Member OP

Super long feature in the latest issue of Edge (received today) about Toshihiro Nagoshi and his long career.
    Games covered are Virtua Racing, Daytona USA, Scud Race, Shenmue, Spikeout, Super Monkey Ball, F-Zero GX, Yakuza, Yakuza 6, and the new Yakuza. So I'm only covering a few bits, and really recommend getting the magazine for the full read.
    [​IMG]
    Super Monkey Ball:
    F-Zero GX:
    [​IMG]
    Yakuza (1):
    [​IMG]
    Ryu Ga Gotoku New Project:
    A lot more in the magazine for the other games.

2. Phantom Thief

Phantom Thief

So what's Nintendo's excuse for no new F-Zero then?!?

3. ILikeFeet

ILikeFeet

Criterion said no

4. The last time they tried to get a developer on it the offer was rejected

5. Gegz

Gegz

Nagoshi is a fucking boss. He's IRL Kiryu.

6. dragonflys545

dragonflys545

Gimme more Yakuza! I can't wait to see the new games gameplay hopefully by tgs.

7. Phantom Thief

Phantom Thief

Then go with someone else, get Codemasters' Evo to work on it. Get Sumo Digital. There isn't a shortage, lol.

8. Harpoon

Harpoon

Hasn't F-Zero GX often been claimed to have been a sales flop? It selling over a million sure as hell says otherwise!

9. SolidSnakex

SolidSnakex

He actually has said this before

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-08-24-yakuza-unlikely-on-xbox-360

10. Crayolan

Crayolan

Wait, F-Zero GX sold 1.5m? Is this new info? I've always heard the game bombed.

11. Eolz

Eolz
    Member OP

GBA games selling poorly and Miyamoto wanting to add something new to F-Zero I guess. And probably thinking that Mario Kart is enough anyway.
    I always thought it was below a million before this interview yeah.

12. Dreamboum

Dreamboum

I'm so excited about Shin Yakuza. The new lead looks like a badass. Too bad he has a similar backstory to Kiryu. I'd like to see someone who tries to rise into the rank of the Tojo clan, and get the family that Kiryu was never able to create.

13. Fucking hell, throw all the money at him for a new F-Zero, you cowards.

14. 830920

Still waiting on a true sequel to Super Monkey Ball 2!

15. Yukinari

Yukinari

Kind of a shame monkey ball had to basically die and be delegated to handheld and mobile.

16. linko9

linko9

Really curious what sort of changes he's talking about lol

17. legend166

legend166

Super Monkey Ball the GOAT made by 10 people.

18. Lindsay

Lindsay

People gotta remember that F-Zero GX was bomba bin prices real quick like. I'd doubt the majority of those 1.5 million copies were sold at full price.

As for Yakuza being made for adult japanese guys, wonder if it surprised him just how many other people which didn't fit that target demo took a shine to it.

19. Benzychenz

Benzychenz

Lmao that F-Zero quote is amazing. Sucks that we never got a new one after that though.

20. NeonZ

NeonZ

F-Zero did get several games after GX though... they were just for the GBA. What killed F-Zero was likely those GBA games.

21. Becks'

Becks'

I'll buy every Yakuza game he throws on PC, he earned my respect. Yakuza 0 is an incredible game.

22. Phantom Thief

Phantom Thief

For what it's worth, Hashino was super surprised at how popular Persona 5 was worldwide, so I imagine Nagoshi was too.

23. FrostyLemon

FrostyLemon
    Banned Member

24. Instro

Instro

That's super interesting about F-Zero GX sales, Nintendo has never officially provided them as far as I know, and thus it was assumed to be a sub million seller. I wonder why, that's a really solid number for a GC game.

25. Toxi

Toxi

1.5 million?! All my time on this forum and the last, people told me F-Zerp GX bombed into the core of the Earth.

26. Eolz

Eolz
    Member OP

Eh, in the interview he was happy with how it turned out.
    Years later it's more that he can't see where to go from this, and why people would want to play that when they can play Mario kart at 200cc.
    Edit: your first link is also not about GX, the GBA games were not developed by Nintendo.

27. FrostyLemon

FrostyLemon
    Banned Member

Changed it

28. yyr

yyr

Not to take away from an awesome achievement and a fantastic game, but Super Monkey Ball is first and foremost a port of the existing Monkey Ball arcade game. They added a few multiplayer modes and there you have it. So a 10-person team doesn't sound out of the question.

F-Zero GX/AX remains one of the most amazing racing games ever created and the fact that Nintendo doesn't even want to give us an HD version frustrates the heck out of me. I'm not sure whether I'm more upset about that or the fact that there's still no Ridge Racer 8 =\

29. NeonZ

NeonZ

F-Zero had two outsourced games after GX though (for a console with a much higher user base than the GameCube). And the series stopped after them. That comment isn't necessarily referencing GX...

30. xxbrothawizxx

xxbrothawizxx

I hope he'll get the chance to work with Nintendo again. We need a new Monkey Ball at least. I wish the Yakuza Wii U release wasn't in the way of having the older titles on Switch. Having 1-5 and the spin offs in portable form would be nice. So many other are finding success with the back catalog releases it's odd they haven't done too much.

The last game on a home console was 15 years ago...

Obviously they wanted a high quality production with who they were trying to tap, but Criterion could not be the only developer up to the task.

31. I just started playing Yakuza about a week ago and it’s one of the most entertaining games I’ve ever played...yakuza 0 that is.

I cannot wait to see where the story can even go after this game ends.

32. FrostyLemon

FrostyLemon
    Banned Member

Good point actually, I'm just assuming the secondary source knows more about the interview. Perhaps not.

33. F-Zero GX sold better than everyone believed.

A Switch version should do even better. Just hire Shin'en and that would even make it cheap to produce.

34. Barn

Barn

Wow. What an interview. Those F-Zero quotes are both amazing and heartbreaking.

35. ILikeFeet

ILikeFeet

despite what Nagoshi says, Nintendo doesn't list the game on their sales charts. I'm wondering if there's something we're missing here, maybe Nagoshi is incorrect?

36. Wrath Of Exodust

Wrath Of Exodust
    Banned Member

The immense sadness you feel when you remember that the last F-Zero game was tie-in for a crappy anime and ultimately killed the franchise.

37. NeonZ

NeonZ

You can see the original the interview here

https://ew.com/article/2007/05/08/man-who-made-mario-super/

Miyamoto doesn't mention the game, and the context doesn't make it clear, just that it was made by an outside development house, so it could be every single one including GX, or just the more recent 2004 one that's usually forgotten due to being a portable game.

38. Version 3.0

Version 3.0

That F-Zero number is surprising, and improbable. The last NPD leak I have, from Sep 2006, had it at 338k. The other regions were far lower. As of January 2005 (well over a year after its launch), Media-Create had it at just 80k, and the last number I have out of Europe was 99k.

Maybe Nintendo shipped 1.5 million? But even that would surprise me.

39. Baladium

Baladium

I’ve been saying for a while that Monster Games would be a perfect choice to handle a new F-Zero. Lots of racing game experience with their NASCAR releases plus previous collaborations with Nintendo including the Excite series on Wii. It’s too obvious.

“What do you want that we haven’t done before?”

Oh I dunno, there’s this thing called “online multiplayer”, Miyamoto, something F-Zero never got a chance to take advantage of since you abandoned the series far too soon. Oh, and I’m sure you’re just dying to shoehorn gimmicky motion controls into a futuristic racer like we saw in your futuristic space shooter with talking animals. Yes, just what on earth could they possibly add to a new F-Zero?! I’m drawing blanks here, guys!

40. ILikeFeet

ILikeFeet

given that it never showed up on nintendo's updated sales charts, I'm thinking Nagoshi got something wrong somewhere

41. Sebastopa

Sebastopa

Wait a moment WHAT!!!

F-Zero GX!? As in that famous GameCube bomba, actually sold 1.5M!!!?

This is a huge deal, why did Nintendo ignore sales numbers for that game in their reports?

42. Camjo-Z

Camjo-Z

Actually the last F-Zero game was an awesome sequel to GP Legend that ditched most of the anime stuff and had a track editor... but never left Japan :|

[​IMG]

43. PachaelD

PachaelD

Literally that, I'm afraid. If Nintendo won't change or make up their mind about it, they won't.

Still think the best thing to do is a Hokuto no Ken reskin like for F-Zero with equal parts Captain Falcon bounty hunting punching fools for a living and racing for his life against his usual rogues gallery like Samurai Goroh.

44. Instro

Instro

Could be some sort of mistranslation or typo I suppose. The 1.5m did strike me as out there.

45. Sebastopa

Sebastopa

Also very interesting to know that one of my favorite childhood games of all time was made by 10 people with limited time and budget. That's what i call talent, hell, even borderline wizardry.

46. FrostyLemon

FrostyLemon
    Banned Member

As much as I love the guy, sometimes things are just good as they are and don't need to be super innovative all the time. At this point I'd even just be happy with F-Zero GX remastered with online play, I'm worried what they might try and turn it into.

47. legend166

legend166

I vaguely remember seeing an NPD dump like 10 years ago on NeoGAF that had F-Zero GX at maybe 280k copies in the US.

To get to 1.5 million from there seems fairly far fetched.

48. fiendcode

fiendcode

So F-Zero GX was Nagoshi’s best selling game? Super Monkey Ball also did over 1m globally so that’d be his second best seller I assume. Interesting that he hit these sales heights on Gamecube and wasn’t able to replicate them on far more successful platforms like PS2, DS, PSP, Wii, 360, PS3, 3DS or PS4.

49. All I need is a new Monkey Ball game with some of that sweet HD Rumble support and a compilation of all the mini-games from one and two and I’ll be happy with the Switch’s game line-up for this generation.

50. Lindsay

Lindsay

I'd say maybe he's including AX sales figures... but the number of units of those made was prolly only ever in the 100's.

GX did get a Players Choice re-release in NA which is pretty odd. Anyone know what the requirements were to achieve the Players Choice label back then?