• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ohhthegore

Nov 25, 2017
Seeing Pig & Dan tonight. Not really feeling like going to the club, but I'll be alright once I get out there. Never been to this place before and I want to support Drumcode coming to Seattle :P

I usually don't get too excited about Drumcode but I saw them play at SPIN for a CRSSD afterparty and they blew me away that night

New to Era, just saw this thread -

Completely shocked to see folks talking positively about hardstyle/hardcore now. Not sure how I feel about these becoming more popular and mainstream, but I think my time in that scene has mostly passed by now anyways and my musical tastes are stagnating a bit. I personally still enjoy most of it, but generally prefer the 2007-10 period. Good times.

Back when I was super into hard dance, the genres were often derided as being shallow and ludicrous. Honestly, I can't make a solid argument against that point. But, it took what I loved about trance from the late 90's and turned it up to another level, and I've always enjoyed it for what it is.

Allow me to have my "old man yells at cloud" moment, though: my least favorite trend in hardstyle, apart from splitting into melodic and raw, is the move toward including more singing/vocals in the songs - even hardcore! Some of the vocals are cringeworthy to me...well, at least more so than they always have been, heh. Ok, old guy rant over.

Whatever the case, I suppose it will have its time in the spotlight for a while before folks move on to something different, just like all genres. It's just weird for me to see such acceptance now, I guess!

Apart from that, like the rest of the folks here, I listen to most of the styles of electronic music. The current techno scene is superb right now, I've been incredibly impressed by some of the newer music coming from over there. And I've gotten really into DJ Rush's sets, would be amazing to see him live!

Apologies for the rant-y tone of my first post! I'd love to talk more about hardstyle, hardcore, or any of the genres, really. Glad to have found this OT!

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
New to Era, just saw this thread -

Completely shocked to see folks talking positively about hardstyle/hardcore now. Not sure how I feel about these becoming more popular and mainstream, but I think my time in that scene has mostly passed by now anyways and my musical tastes are stagnating a bit. I personally still enjoy most of it, but generally prefer the 2007-10 period. Good times.

Back when I was super into hard dance, the genres were often derided as being shallow and ludicrous. Honestly, I can't make a solid argument against that point. But, it took what I loved about trance from the late 90's and turned it up to another level, and I've always enjoyed it for what it is.

Allow me to have my "old man yells at cloud" moment, though: my least favorite trend in hardstyle, apart from splitting into melodic and raw, is the move toward including more singing/vocals in the songs - even hardcore! Some of the vocals are cringeworthy to me...well, at least more so than they always have been, heh. Ok, old guy rant over.

Whatever the case, I suppose it will have its time in the spotlight for a while before folks move on to something different, just like all genres. It's just weird for me to see such acceptance now, I guess!

Apart from that, like the rest of the folks here, I listen to most of the styles of electronic music. The current techno scene is superb right now, I've been incredibly impressed by some of the newer music coming from over there. And I've gotten really into DJ Rush's sets, would be amazing to see him live!

Apologies for the rant-y tone of my first post! I'd love to talk more about hardstyle, hardcore, or any of the genres, really. Glad to have found this OT!

Welcome homie! There's some of us in here that likes the Hard Dance genre (I'm probably the only user in here that mainly listens to Hard Dance (mainly Hardstyle)). Been listening to Hardstyle since someone in here introduced me to a Wasted Penguinz track some years ago.

Well.... I'm still fairly new to scene (about 4 years now) but in regards to your Old Man Moment (nothing too bad about it TBH) it's the natural course for a scene to reach a broader audience. It has its ups and downs (which you know about yourself I'm assuming based on your post) but it has to do something to reach a broader audience. The scene will readjust itself soon since it doesn't seem like it's getting any bigger for EDM Festivals barring the usual suspects dropping Hard Dance at the end of their sets.

Seems like, based on the sets I've listened to (mainstream-wise), they're dropping more raw and harder tracks during the end of their sets so that's something. I was plenty surprised to hear Coone and Brennan Heart dropping some Raw lately, lol.

I do agree that the vocals and lyrics in the Hard Dance scene is cringey and (for me) corny and edgy, lol. Trying too hard to evoke emotions and shit 😆

Welcome homie! There's some of us in here that likes the Hard Dance genre (I'm probably the only user in here that mainly listens to Hard Dance (mainly Hardstyle)). Been listening to Hardstyle since someone in here introduced me to a Wasted Penguinz track some years ago.

Well.... I'm still fairly new to scene (about 4 years now) but in regards to your Old Man Moment (nothing too bad about it TBH) it's the natural course for a scene to reach a broader audience. It has its ups and downs (which you know about yourself I'm assuming based on your post) but it has to do something to reach a broader audience. The scene will readjust itself soon since it doesn't seem like it's getting any bigger for EDM Festivals barring the usual suspects dropping Hard Dance at the end of their sets.

Dude, nice!
I've been into it since about 2006, which was fairly rare for US back then.
Hardstyle really started to shift probably around 2013-14. It was time for me to realize that they wanted to reach a new audience, so it's all good.

I'm just always cautious of genres turning mainstream, then get driven into near extinction, ala dubstep, trance, etc. But there will always be a crowd that will stick with the genre through everything.
And there's always a little bit of snobbery I have for the "purity" of the genre, whatever that's supposed to mean, haha.

Just for the record, I dont judge folks for whatever styles you enjoy! Some genres and trends aren't for me...And some trends kind of annoy me, but that's my own problem to work with! The more varieties we discover and share, the better.

Just curious, what's everyone's history with Electronic/Dance music?
I first became interested as a kid in the mid-90s, with all the classic euro jams coming out. My first ever music purchase was a cassette of Eiffel 65 - Europop, which I still love. I then got a random Sven Väth two-set cd from Germany in the early 2000s, which I initially was not totally into, but I grew to enjoy diversity of techno he presented in his sets. Then it was on to trance, though I kinda missed the boat on that one, and after that, all the hard dance genres at once (including Jumpstyle!) around 06.
That's the short version. And I'm still slightly offended by Eminem saying nobody listens to techno. ;)

I'd totally like to find out other interesting stories and experiences here.

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
I'll be honest and say that I wasn't into what is known as "EDM" at all when I was growing up. It wasn't until I was a teenager that stayed up late watching [adult swim] that I had some kind of affinity towards Electronica and Lo-Fi Hip Hop or Chill-Out music. Their bumps that featured J Dilla and Boards of Canada were pivotal in pushing me towards the world of Electronic Dance Music.

I'm Asian American, Minnesota guy, and the racing scene was still big when I was growing up and I can't deny that Trance also had it's influence on me. I never really seeked it out but I had some kind of connection to the beats, melody, and the rhythm of Trance and Euro Dance. It was just something about driving around at night with a fast beat that made me feel some kind of way.

It didn't really start popping off until after I got into my early 20s (27 now still young!) where I started digging deeper into what is now called EDM. Being a young and dumb lad that had no direction, I was led to Monstercat and Proximity. Introduced to more genres and a better understanding of what is EDM. Started with "Prog" House aka Festival House, Big Room, a little Trap here and there, then somebody here recommended me a Wasted Penguinz track, felt something but was still into that Yellow Claw kind of Trap music with some Freestyle influences, and then it just started off from there.

Fast beats, hard beats.... Shit was crazy and eye opening. People go on about the sound of Hardstyle and how they can't handle it but that thought never popped into my head. I can hear where they're coming from but it just never happened to me. Once I found Hard Dance I honestly can't look back, lol. I can still appreciated the slower genres but nothing feels better than Hard Dance for me 😁

Speaking of techno, the new Kobosil set from Unpolished is some heat!

Oh, sweet mercy, that's delicious. I'm really new to newer "harder" sounds of techno, but I'm loving every second of what I hear from it.
I'm more used to minimal and the low-key 2000s stuff.
I wonder if the current popularity of hardstyle is driving the shift in sound? Or am I overstating the current popularity of hardstyle?

Also, are there any of the newer techno artists like this that make it down to SoCal?

Fast beats, hard beats.... Shit was crazy and eye opening. People go on about the sound of Hardstyle and how they can't handle it but that thought never popped into my head. I can hear where they're coming from but it just never happened to me. Once I found Hard Dance I honestly can't look back, lol. I can still appreciated the slower genres but nothing feels better than Hard Dance for me 😁

Yeah, that reaction you describe from others was fairly standard whenever I tried getting people into hardstyle. Also, at that time, dance music in general wasn't all that popular and EDM was not used as a descriptor, so you can imagine it was a bit of a stretch to go from little interest in dance to hardstyle.
If you ever need recommendations from the older days of hardstyle, let me know!

ohhthegore

Nov 25, 2017
I don't think the current popularity of hardstyle has much to do with whats going on with Techn, I think its just techno correcting itself. Pretty much what happened in the 90s was that people were making Techno harder and harder and thats pretty much how gabber music was made. Some purist decided to go in the total opposite direction and go super minimal with Techno and that became the wave for a long time. Eventually people started to get bored of that and start cranking the BPMs up and bringing back some of the bite of Techno. If you're interested in Techno shows in LA there's a promoter company called Synthetic Minds who usually bring the best stuff there. Just follow them of Facebook to keep up with their events. They bring all subgenres of Techno though so its not always only hard stuff

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I don't think it's because of the current popularity of Hardstyle. Music changes and evolves constantly and it doesn't necessarily mean something is directly influencing these changes.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
mainstream changes time to time. i remember like 12 years ago when everyone i talked to, they mentioned a happy hardcore as a go to track to play. then it went to electro, then dubstep aaand i went hiatus for years. now that im back i see trap and big room or whatever they call it. doesnt really matter what genre it is to me, as long as it sounds good ill listen. cant limit myself to one genre and think its god tier elite master race above all.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
mainstream changes time to time. i remember like 12 years ago when everyone i talked to, they mentioned a happy hardcore as a go to track to play. then it went to electro, then dubstep aaand i went hiatus for years. now that im back i see trap and big room or whatever they call it. doesnt really matter what genre it is to me, as long as it sounds good ill listen. cant limit myself to one genre and think its god tier elite master race above all.

Same here. I'm in for the ride, and while the dubstep phase was my personal favourite, I enjoyed the dnb madness before it, the trap after, even the big room period to an extent, and the future bass stuff is pretty cool too. As long as it's got a tight production and sounds good, it could even be electro polka for all I care, labels mean shit to me.

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
Shiiiiiiit..... I nearly forgot that it's that time of the year again. It's the beginning of festival season y'all. Ultra Miami is getting really close now and I hope it's a good one this year.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Got my Illenium red rocks tickets today. So excited! Porter sold out his festival and the additional second day in one day. Damn

Seems like we have some hardcore/gabber fans in here, so, just in case you all have not seen it yet, I wanted to share this absolute treasure trove of Gabber (and hardcore) history on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/gabbermanzion (NSFW)

Some awesome old footage of gabbers in the early 90s, tons of great old school Gabber music, Thunderdome tapes, the whole works. Probably the best collection of this type I've currently found on the internet, though if you don't understand some Dutch, it might detract a bit.

Start with the Thunderdome vids and explore from there. If you're super interested, the 3Doc Gabbers Nederland is interesting, but it's all in Dutch - the first part is worth looking through for the old hakken.

Last edited:

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
FYI:

https://miamimusicweek.com/

I work most of the week, but on my one day off, I have my eyes set on this:
square_Mark_Knight_presents_Toolroom_Live.jpg

This is also at the same venue, in another room:

I live in Broward, so it's about 45 minutes away.

Downside: I never manage to last until the wee hours, and I'm almost positive that's when Mark Knight comes on. :(

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
I don't know if any of you listen to Sirius, but their EDM channel took off all their best DJ sets and it really bums me out. :( They used to air Crystal Method, Oakenfold, Nicole Moudaber, Mark Knight, etc. When it became Diplo's, they took it all away. Blech.

The only good sets that stuck around are ASoT(they'd be crazy to ditch A State of Sundays) and Von Stroke's Birdhouse.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
I live in socal so I know I shouldn't complain...but goddammit I wish we had a Miami Music Week type thing here. Fuck!

And no, EDC week in Vegas doesn't count

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
I did some Watched threads cleaning lately and forgot about y'all. FeelsBadMan.

Here's Armin at Tomorrowland Winter Mainstage though
yes I know that some of y'all dislike mainstage Armin, lol.

Man..... Armin really don't know how to fist pump to Hardstyle, lol. It's not that hard 😂

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Not sure how much longer I can wait for Skrillex to release this ID. I've been listening to rips for years now, he keeps on playing newer and newer versions of the song live to this day, but the studio version is just not coming. Goddamn.

Nyx

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Can I post my own sets here? Been having lots of fun with my ''digital record crate'' and some new purchases on Beatport lately, so my 3rd mix in a short period of time.

George Hefner - Pannenkoekenmix

With Traktor Pro and a controller, no fancy stuff, just good music imo. :) Deephouse, techhouse.
Thanks for listening!

mr stroke

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
WMC here we come.

Flying out tomorrow

We were gonna do Ultra as that line up is fire, but fuck trying to get to Virgina Keys on day 1. Looks like a disaster

will be doing-

Thur-MK area 10 pool party

Fri-Moodzone w/ Moudaber

Sat-lay on the beach, maybe El Row w/ Claptone

Sun-Music On w/ Marco Carola + Tenaglia

ohhthegore

Nov 25, 2017
Neon Garden is a little better than last year. Anna, Lens, Chartlotte de Witte, and Len Faki all are pretty great. Adam Beyer is pretty fun too

cabelhigh

Nov 2, 2017
i really like the line-up.
It can take care of just about everything i like.
I'm interested to see what Mau5trap is going to do since its on the flyer for Saturday.
REALLY happy that no mana, i_o and purple haze are on the list. I can't wait

Yeah i_o threw down at Beyond, missed his set but caught it on YouTube and it looked amazing. I think I'm just hung up on the fact that so many of these names I *just* saw at Beyond this past weekend. A lot of the names on the Mau5trap ticket were there too.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017

This was definitely a gateway song for me and I'm sure many others growing up in the 90s.

also still a fucking BANGER

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
Above and Beyond tonight was..... Magical. Shit was good fam.

Edit: actually now that I'm thinking back to it..... It was aight. Could have been better.

Last edited:
I'd assume someone might be interested in excellent techno/electronic game soundtracks.

Has anyone heard of Art Styles: Light Trax? It has my personal favorite electronic soundtrack of any game, and one of the most cohesive soundtracks for electronic music I've heard in a game. The soundtrack probably isn't for everyone, but the mere fact that it exists still amazes me.

Keep in mind, this was a $5 WiiWare game.

Here are some samples, with the full OST on the actual channel:

There's also a great post on Reddit about the soundtrack, if anyone is interested.

Jadentheman

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I definitely prefer his live sets to a mix played from the laptop. There's just an extra oomph add when he able to get the drums, keyboard, guitar, etc. and do it all in real time. I would love to get an album using live instruments instead of just electronic beats and instrument samples. Though, it is incentive to go to a performance by him instead of just sitting at home listening to an album on Spotify.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
i am glad that adam beyer has his drumcode uploaded on mixcloud. this latest one with secret cinema has me in some type of groove.

mmm yes. (so excited to see him at edc - its been a mission for years to see this guy play. fuck. yes.)