• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean it's stupid to label an artist to one specific genre anyway. What kind of artists makes the same music over and over again? They can make music in vastly different styles and that's fine.

I don't feel that way. I can see that if we are talking about, sub sub genres and stuff to the point where more categorization becomes completely arbitrary but I don't think it's bad to differentiate between techno, dance, drum n bass, trance, hardcore, hardstyle, dubstep, house and trap. I mean like... if I ask someone to recommend me a great trance track and what they show me is hardstyle or trap, then this doesn't help at all.
And I love when people do experimentations and try to mix stuff from different styles, but labels don't hinder that. I like this track here a lot:

This is part dubstep, part trance (mostly up to 1:15) and I love it.

I can differentiate between something like dubstep, drum n bass, and house.

But House/Techno/Trance are all so similar to me. I believe its only the tempo that is largely the difference and trance can be more "epic" in scale if that makes sense.

I have no clue what hardcore/Hardstyle is. I think I have an idea of what trap is but its weird to put Big Wild and Troyboi in the same genre

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
But House/Techno/Trance are all so similar to me. I believe its only the tempo that is largely the difference and trance can be more "epic" in scale if that makes sense.
Trance is when you have melodic structures and breakdowns and climaxes. The tension and energy goes up and down in them.
House is more grounded and groovy and casually danceable.
Techno is when there are no chords and no notes and you listen to a bassdrum, hihat and clap for 8 minutes. /s
I have no clue what hardcore/Hardstyle is.
Hardcore is like techno except you turn up the volume to 20 out of 10, make the song way faster and play some distorted leads.
Hardstyle is a bit slower than hardcore and the bass drum is pitched (except early hardstyle) so it's not just: boom, boom, boom, but more like: boom, boom, beem, beem, badoom, doom, doom. lol

But what's more important than remembering all that stuff is that you just enjoy it.

ohhthegore

Nov 25, 2017

I have no clue what hardcore/Hardstyle is. I think I have an idea of what trap is but its weird to put Big Wild and Troyboi in the same genre

House- boots n cats n boots n cats
Techno- untz untz untz untz

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
I mean it's stupid to label an artist to one specific genre anyway. What kind of artists makes the same music over and over again? They can make music in vastly different styles and that's fine.

I don't feel that way. I can see that if we are talking about, sub sub genres and stuff to the point where more categorization becomes completely arbitrary but I don't think it's bad to differentiate between techno, dance, drum n bass, trance, hardcore, hardstyle, dubstep, house and trap. I mean like... if I ask someone to recommend me a great trance track and what they show me is hardstyle or trap, then this doesn't help at all.
And I love when people do experimentations and try to mix stuff from different styles, but labels don't hinder that. I like this track here a lot:

This is part dubstep, part trance (mostly up to 1:15) and I love it.

If you love trance and dubstep then look no further than Seven Lions if you haven't heard all of his stuff already. His rise to fame was making dubstep remixes on huge trance tracks and he's still at the top of his game imo

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

You really don't see the difference between this

and this

if you mix one of these on a set of the other one the ppl will not take it good lol

It's true though that more people keeps mixing both, and this is where the ellitism comes (something that I don't agree with).

Trance is when you have melodic structures and breakdowns and climaxes. The tension and energy goes up and down in them.
House is more grounded and groovy and casually danceable.
Techno is when there are no chords and no notes and you listen to a bassdrum, hihat and clap for 8 minutes. /s

Hardcore is like techno except you turn up the volume to 20 out of 10, make the song way faster and play some distorted leads.
Hardstyle is a bit slower than hardcore and the bass drum is pitched (except early hardstyle) so it's not just: boom, boom, boom, but more like: boom, boom, beem, beem, badoom, doom, doom. lol

But what's more important than remembering all that stuff is that you just enjoy it.

Isn't Hardcore just what Gabber was? basically this

It tends to be more melodic than techno, unless it changed a lot (don't listen to it since the Thrillseeka days lol)

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You really don't see the difference between this

and this

if you mix one of these on a set of the other one the ppl will not take it good lol

It's true though that more people keeps mixing both, and this is where the ellitism comes (something that I don't agree with).

Isn't Hardcore just what Gabber was? basically this

It tends to be more melodic than techno, unless it changed a lot (don't listen to it since the Thrillseeka days lol)

First one is trance right? I like it a lot better than the second lol.

But both kinda scratch that repetitive bop itch. Not usually my thing, but I did get roped into seeing Above and Beyond and a bunch of the Anjuna artists this weekend soooo....

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

But both kinda scratch that repetitive bop itch. Not usually my thing, but I did get roped into seeing Above and Beyond and a bunch of the Anjuna artists this weekend soooo....

yep, first is Trance. Above and Beyond are great IMO, it's not really like neither but their sets have a lot of variety and vocal tracks.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017

Be ready to get into your feels and make sure you read what a&b type on screen. You might smile ;)

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
Gabber is the first and then Hardcore. There are differences but Gabber has transformed into what is now called Hardcore. Dr. Peacock is Frenchcore. Frenchcore is just Hardcore but more uplifting and melodic instead of the usual edge associated with Hardcore.

Gabber is more associated with the culture and Hardcore is more associated with the music surrounding the culture of Gabber. Gabber, in music terms, is the older sounds of what we now call Hardcore too. It's rougher and tougher and can range from 160-200 bpm. Hardcore typically ranges from 170-200 and is still rough and tough but imo is more edgy.

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still indifferent to Happy and UK Hardcore. I do like me some cheese but sometimes it's a bit too cheesy for me. Same goes for Hardcore and Rawstyle but instead of cheesy it's the insane edge. Enough with the guns, killings, and supremacy.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Gabber is the first and then Hardcore. There are differences but Gabber has transformed into what is now called Hardcore. Dr. Peacock is Frenchcore. Frenchcore is just Hardcore but more uplifting and melodic instead of the usual edge associated with Hardcore.

Opps, tbf I don't know the guy, I saw the MoH label and remember it from when I used to listen to Hardcore (15?years ago lol) so I assumed it was just plain Hardcore. I remember it being pretty melodic, although it's true that it was starting to change into a more industrial sound.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Speaking of LAXX, he just released his first tune for 2019. Back to his legendary hybrid roots, but with a more modern twist, somewhat reminiscent of Eptic here and there. Lovely tune.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Holy fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck the Gorge was amazing.

Way too fucking hot but AMAZING.

I never really listened to Above and Beyond or the Anjuna guys before, but I am converted.

f620ytwpl7d31.jpg

I've seen countless pictures of the Gorge, and its hard not to get a good shot with how beautiful it is but you honestly don't appreciate the immense scale until you are there. They were doing helicopter tours of it and it was nuts seeing how small that helicopter got as it was descending down.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
"im sorry baaabbbeeeeeeyy, you were the sun and moon to meee
ill never get ovver youuuu
youll never get ovver meeeeeeeeeeee"

mm chills every time...
forever will always be a classic

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That hill is a goddamn liability too. Its a miracle people don't eat shit every 5 minutes lol

After the show the A&B guys did a bit of a speech and said they want to make this a Bi-Annual thing. I initially thought they meant twice a year but they later clarified they will be returning to the gorge 2021.

Not gonna lie, in the state my mind was in I was hyped because it was next year only to realize its in 2 years RIP

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
That hill is a goddamn liability too. Its a miracle people don't eat shit every 5 minutes lol

After the show the A&B guys did a bit of a speech and said they want to make this a Bi-Annual thing. I initially thought they meant twice a year but they later clarified they will be returning to the gorge 2021.

Not gonna lie, in the state my mind was in I was hyped because it was next year only to realize its in 2 years RIP
They are going to be at Red Rocks in September I believe. Another beautiful venue. I'd also recommend checking out Dreamstate if you're in Cali and enjoyed the music. Anjuna should be having their own stage this year.

ohhthegore

Nov 25, 2017
Nice to see Insomniac booking some good Techno for once, hopefully they continue this trend with their Secret Project lineup

EAV9B9GXsAAlJqU.jpg:large

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
Need to find out where the venue is for the Techno in Minneapolis. The bigger venues are all mainstream EDM stuff (Trap and Dubstep mainly).

Friend is a Trance addict so he's been looking up where and when Trance djs come here. Haven't really gone to many Trance shows here. A&B and Cosmic Gate are the only ones that I've been to.

ohhthegore

Nov 25, 2017
I don't do much Trance but I lovvvvvvve going to Dreamstate and staying at the Psytrance stage the whole time

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure my friend would love to go to Dreamstate. The dude loves Trance. I think my whole rave circle are Trance addicts lol.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
I used to be a trance addict...
Ferry corsten was my number 1
His track "beautiful" is an amazing journey that never gets old. Then seven lions remixed it and it push me through the sky.

But since then, nothing has drawn me back. I'll always Love trance though.. some very good memories w/ a&b at redrocks and etc.

Deleted member 12224

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I used to be a trance addict...
Ferry corsten was my number 1
His track "beautiful" is an amazing journey that never gets old. Then seven lions remixed it and it push me through the sky.

But since then, nothing has drawn me back. I'll always Love trance though.. some very good memories w/ a&b at redrocks and etc.
Check out this week's episode of A&B Group Therapy. It'll be up your alley. Hits all my nostalgia notes.

Above & Beyond - Group Therapy Radio 343 (Summer Special ...

Perpetuous Dream - Sound of Goodbye was the first trance like song I'd ever heard. Takes me way back to like 8th or 9th grade, finding it on Napster.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if anyone has ever had this experience.

I've only known Zhu for his big hits that would play on EDM radio stations or be remixed. Never gave him much of a listen beyond that.

He was at Roo when I was there but I think I ended up going to something else at the time.

I decided to just go to the artist page and give it a listen and....

now I'm kicking myself for missing his set. This music is right up my alley. And I have a very picky taste in EDM.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Planning to go to an event this weekend with Martin Garrix and Da Tweakaz among others. Anybody had the chance to check 'em out live? Good times? I saw some sets and they seem fun times, but big festivals are not really representative of how a smaller concert will play out.

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
Not at all. Garrix is supposed to be here this month and I'm trying to get my friends to go but nobody has said anything yet.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My biggest gripe is when they play a sample from some popular song and you're thinking "Oh shit this might be a cool remix" and then nothing changes except some crescendoing beats in the background leading to a drop, and the drop is just that shitty bass dubstep garbage disposal sound that has nothing to do with the original song.

But hey, at least the crowd sang along to old town road for a second there.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Nobody here really listens to future bass huh? Illeniums album came out which I love as well as the remix album for Dabin. So many feels

Also can't wait for dreamstate this year. Seven Lions psy set is going to be special

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
Nobody here really listens to future bass huh? Illeniums album came out which I love as well as the remix album for Dabin. So many feels

Also can't wait for dreamstate this year. Seven Lions psy set is going to be special
what exactly is future bass? like i really dont know what to put songs into what genre anymore lol.
illenium can range from feeeeells to a little bit o headbang according to what i witness. dabin is cool. their whole crew are very talented musicians as i think they all play an instrument? correct me if im wrong.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
what exactly is future bass? like i really dont know what to put songs into what genre anymore lol.
illenium can range from feeeeells to a little bit o headbang according to what i witness. dabin is cool. their whole crew are very talented musicians as i think they all play an instrument? correct me if im wrong.
Illenium plays drums, Dabin guitar, and Said the Sky piano. They call themselves the sad boy band lol and are doing it one last time for his new album tour.

Future bass is kinda broad I guess. It's mostly a specific style of sound in the drop that you can hear in like every dabin song and most Illenium. He plays mostly future bass with feels which is why I love him, but he does throw in some heavy dubstep once in a while too haha.

Like, I'm pretty sure this is future bass..

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If thats what future bass is, its likely my gf's favorite genre. And she's the one that kind of thrust me into the EDM scene, albeit I've gravitated toward a different style.

Her fav artist of all time is Seven Lions and loves illenium as well. Alison Wonderland is a recent fav too.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
That's what confuses me. It's future bass but thrown out there from a trap channel.
I feel like illenium, sander, nghtmre, seven lions, San Holo, dreoloe, just a gent, dabin, said the sky and some others are very similar.
Holo kind of a tangent off them and the same with Alison.

But illenium is super popular with right now with three back to back red Rock shows. It's three nights in a row and I think they are all sold out.

Which leads me to the alchemy tour from seven lions. That looks interesting!!!

DMczaf

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas, NV
That's what confuses me. It's future bass but thrown out there from a trap channel.
I feel like illenium, sander, nghtmre, seven lions, San Holo, dreoloe, just a gent, dabin, said the sky and some others are very similar.
Holo kind of a tangent off them and the same with Alison.

But illenium is super popular with right now with three back to back red Rock shows. It's three nights in a row and I think they are all sold out.

Which leads me to the alchemy tour from seven lions. That looks interesting!!!

I went to the Alchemy tour stop in Long Beach

I HIGHLY fucking recommend it.