• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Aomber

Aomber

Oct 25, 2017
Beantown
Before I get into that, I just wanna point out that Porter Robinson was vehemently against electronic dance music not too long ago. The things that he's doing in this track are exactly the things he criticized in several interviews. Interesting how he did that right at the time of promoting Worlds, but you don't hear him saying the same things with this new Virtual Self material. Also want to point out he has continued to not just play, but headline EDM events consistently under Porter Robinson.

As for the track itself, I can't say I'm really the biggest fan. This is the second track I've heard from this project that i haven't found to be particularly unique - I can see what he was trying to go for with a couple sounds being inspired from video game sounds and what not, but the usage context isn't new, everything heard here has been done before in this format of dance music. Coming from Porter that's unimpressive. I gotta be honest too, I'm getting tired of Porter's mixing. Both Porter and Madeon are known for slamming the dynamics of their tracks, which can and does work sometimes, but sonically there are other tracks down this style especially recently that just have a lot more space and impact. Several aspects of the mix feel underwater to me.

Do you have Spotify Aomber? if yes, is there a way you can make a playlist and share it so we (I) can follow and keep up with new tracks you enjoy/find? ;)

listening to Yotto - North right now and i am loving it!
I do, but my spotify uses my IRL name, and to be honest I doubt you guys would find it that interesting right now. Most of my recent playlist additions are songs I'm analyzing for production reasons

DMczaf

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas, NV
I went to the Horizon Tour with Seven Lions, Kill The Noise and Tritonal last Saturday

Las Vegas is a very trap and dubstep driven town, so to say Tritonal lost the crowd is an understatement lol

Seven Lions debuted a new song "Calling You Home" and did a psytrance remix of Sun and Moon !!

not my video

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
I see that Monstercat has also joined in on the Psy Trance train:

Slander - Superhuman (Gammer Remix) [Feat. Eric Leva]

It's not a bad song. It lacks some oomf in the beginning though. The second drop is where the Festival Psy Trance ie what alot of people are doing now in terms of "Psy Trance" kicks in. After some more listens, this song would be better if it was a Psy Style track instead of a Hard Psy Trance track. The beginning is really weak and Gammer should have used a Hardstyle climax and kept the bpm high throughout and into a Psy Style drop/climax like this:

Sub Zero Project - The Project the first drop/climax.

Gammer should have flipped the formula and opened with a Hardstyle/Happy Hardcore climax and ended the song with a Psy Style drop/anti-climax.

Oh yeah! For those waiting on Headhunterz and Wildstylez, guess what released today?!

Project One - EP I

Last edited:

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
i forgot to talk about my experience with Deadmau5 at Redrocks here in CO last month.

Amazing. I enjoyed this show so much. I loved the cube and just about everything. No Mana opening up for him was so goood. I love plenty of his tracks but seeing him play in person was icing on the cake. I want to relive that night (too bad redrocks closes at 12am because of the people who live nearby lol)

what reminded me to talk about that night is because im listening to some no mana now :P

OP
OP
Aomber

Aomber

Oct 25, 2017
Beantown

It's not a bad song. It lacks some oomf in the beginning though. The second drop is where the Festival Psy Trance ie what alot of people are doing now in terms of "Psy Trance" kicks in. After some more listens, this song would be better if it was a Psy Style track instead of a Hard Psy Trance track. The beginning is really weak and Gammer should have used a Hardstyle climax and kept the bpm high throughout and into a Psy Style drop/climax like this:

Gammer should have flipped the formula and opened with a Hardstyle/Happy Hardcore climax and ended the song with a Psy Style drop/anti-climax.

Oh yeah! For those waiting on Headhunterz and Wildstylez, guess what released today?!

Project One - EP I
Yeah that Slander remix is all over the place. It starts off as some cheesy EDM intro, then goes into a hardstyle pre-drop/chorus followed by a psytrance drop. Feels like the producer was trying to fit too many styles into one track and it sounds like he doesn't know what he really wanted it to be. We talked about this enough before but Monstercat really does have some weird release choices.

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
That's honestly the only Monstercat's release I've listened to in about 8-9 months. They literally have nothing that interests me now because of how inconsistent their quality of releases have been. Way too many unknowns who are trying to be way too experimental for the sake of being experimental. We've been through this before, but Monstercat is literally a EDM producer's baby step towards either greatness or mediocrity. When they reach that point of their career, they either release full and better complete tracks on another label or continue experimenting for the sake of experimenting.

Now I'm off to listen to the new Project One EP.

OP
OP
Aomber

Aomber

Oct 25, 2017
Beantown
Porter Robinson announces show as Virtual Self in Brooklyn

Ntlmnx6.png

i forgot to talk about my experience with Deadmau5 at Redrocks here in CO last month.

Amazing. I enjoyed this show so much. I loved the cube and just about everything. No Mana opening up for him was so goood. I love plenty of his tracks but seeing him play in person was icing on the cake. I want to relive that night (too bad redrocks closes at 12am because of the people who live nearby lol)

what reminded me to talk about that night is because im listening to some no mana now :P
Yeah his new show is great, I saw him in NYC earlier this year both in concert and for an afterparty at Output. Great couple of days & a lot of great music.

Last edited:

thermopyle

Nov 8, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Anyone going to Tchami this Saturday in LA? Still think it's BS that it's basically going to be a b2b that's only 2 hours long so they can go play an afterparty in the OC.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

Project One - EP I

First track reminds me that Psy Trance tracks are literally starting to blend all together to me. You know that techno set that seems like it's 1 hour long track? Psy Trance is almost there to me lol (I would still lose my shit in a live Psy trance set... but well, I lose my shit in almost anything EDM related live set lol).

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
First track reminds me that Psy Trance tracks are literally starting to blend all together to me. You know that techno set that seems like it's 1 hour long track? Psy Trance is almost there to me lol (I would still lose my shit in a live Psy trance set... but well, I lose my shit in almost anything EDM related live set lol).

From what I can gather via the Internet (Reddit and, ugh, YouTube comments), the Psy Trance we are hearing now is nothing like "actual" Psy Trance..... Well, history is repeating itself now, I guess. Time for the usual shuffle again, lol. THAT'S not Progressive House, THIS is Progressive House!! It's not even the fans fault because the industry just merges a genre into another one.....

It's going to be a fun time again, I suppose, lol.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
From what I can gather via the Internet (Reddit and, ugh, YouTube comments), the Psy Trance we are hearing now is nothing like "actual" Psy Trance..... Well, history is repeating itself now, I guess. Time for the usual shuffle again, lol. THAT'S not Progressive House, THIS is Progressive House!! It's not even the fans fault because the industry just merges a genre into another one.....

It's going to be a fun time again, I suppose, lol.

Yeah this is true, I mean, in my days I remember this was considered PsyTrance

although now everyone would tell you this is just trance. And maybe before that psy was different... so yeah, styles keep changing.

Right now everyone knows psytrance for that Vini Vici-like style. Everyone does that same fast beat that change to a more "jumping" like one.

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
I can definitely hear what influences what is considered Psy Trance currently in that song Ferrs. I agree with you on the Vini Vici stuff, too. They are the mainstream Festival Psy Trance guys so of course plenty of people in the industry will try and replicate it within their own scene *cough* Bigroom and Hardstyle *cough*

I have no issue with it besides the eventual backlash from actual fans and festival fans. There's no need for both fanbase to go at each other like what I described above because there's room for everybody. The more people hear and learn what is Psy Trance, the better. If somebody is actually interested in the music they will dig deeper.

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
Code Black & Crisis Era - Beat Cannon

Pretty cool track and mix of three genres: Psy Trance, Rawstyle, and Synth Wave. Obviously not full mixes of Psy Trance and Synth Wave, but the closest it'll get to still remain a Rawstyle track.

Speaking of Crisis Era:

Yellow Claw - City on Lockdown (feat. Juicy J & Lil Debbie) [Crisis Era Remix]

Yellow Claw - Do You Like Bass (Crisis Era Remix)

I think Crisis Era has always been the odd ones out from the Hardstyle scene. They've always been experimenting, I think, and trying to make Hardstyle sound different.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
Well, just started my layway plan for edc lv! This will be my first edc and it appears ill be going solo because..... Wife is a cheater and we'll be divorced soon and i dropped s lot of friends over the years due to putting family first and bla bla bla..

Anyway.. anyone have tips on hotels, what to bring, etc.etc. i go to shows in denver but never a big ass festival like this. !!!! Eeeeeek!!

OP
OP
Aomber

Aomber

Oct 25, 2017
Beantown
Well, just started my layway plan for edc lv! This will be my first edc and it appears ill be going solo because..... Wife is a cheater and we'll be divorced soon and i dropped s lot of friends over the years due to putting family first and bla bla bla..

Anyway.. anyone have tips on hotels, what to bring, etc.etc. i go to shows in denver but never a big ass festival like this. !!!! Eeeeeek!!
Really sorry to hear that man. Best of vibes your way, enjoy your time at EDC.

As for hotels, it depends a lot on what you're doing in Vegas. If you're going just for the festival and want to grab a bus to the circuit grounds, you can pretty much get any hotel you want as long as it's in range of a bus stop - some are busier than others so you might want to research that. The other thing to consider is if you're going for a couple of days before/after the festival whether you want to go to any club events, it's pretty easy to get to any club wherever you are but if there's a couple clubs that are in the same area that might be a factor. For example you wouldn't want to stay in the Wynn/Encore if you'll only be going to clubs at the MGM since they're on opposite sides of the strip.

Personally I've stayed in The Mirage and The Bellagio. The former being not too cheap/not too expensive, with the latter being on the upper end of Vegas hotels. Both are great options for being in the middle of everything, I like that they're classy without being gimmicky, and they're also not too big in size being easy to navigate. It's worth mentioning they are both busy hotels, which isn't for everyone, but personally when I go to Vegas I look for that craziness.

I'll add a disclaimer that when I stayed at The Mirage for EDC I went to the Luxor bus stop since that was the closest one, and that was definitely not a fun experience. However - there's an entirely new company running the bus system this coming year that's supposed to be particularly good at running events like this, so it's likely to be very different.

Last edited:

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
Thank you so much!! The mirage sounds good. This year is 3 days and idk if i can hang haha. Hopefully i find others from CO and i can get a little crew or something.

So what about accessories? Camel backs for water and...

OP
OP
Aomber

Aomber

Oct 25, 2017
Beantown
Thank you so much!! The mirage sounds good. This year is 3 days and idk if i can hang haha. Hopefully i find others from CO and i can get a little crew or something.

So what about accessories? Camel backs for water and...
Oops forgot to add that to my last post. Yeah, Camelbak is the main thing, and also a comfortable pair of shoes. Nothing too nice though since they're likely to not be in the best condition after the festival.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
Oops forgot to add that to my last post. Yeah, Camelbak is the main thing, and also a comfortable pair of shoes. Nothing too nice though since they're likely to not be in the best condition after the festival.

Okay. Cool cool. What are your thoughts on Rio all-suite? Its a bit cheaper; mirage 279 and rio is 149

OP
OP
Aomber

Aomber

Oct 25, 2017
Beantown
Okay. Cool cool. What are your thoughts on Rio all-suite? Its a bit cheaper; mirage 279 and rio is 149
I've never been to the Rio but I've heard it's decent. I have passed by it thought, worth noting that it's very much off the strip and stands pretty much by itself. If you're going just for the festival it'll probably be fine - but if you wanna see Vegas itself, it's not walking distance to the strip, you would have to cab it or something.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
I've never been to the Rio but I've heard it's decent. I have passed by it thought, worth noting that it's very much off the strip and stands pretty much by itself. If you're going just for the festival it'll probably be fine - but if you wanna see Vegas itself, it's not walking distance to the strip, you would have to cab it or something.

Ok awesome. Thanks for your input!! I'll probably take about it again when it's gets closer haha

mr stroke

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Finally going to make it to WMC, got the time off work and flights booked! Been a bucket list item for me for years. Now trying to decide if we should go to Ultra

mr stroke

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

don't worry about "solo" i would bet there are a bunch of EDM GAFers going ;)
(including my self who is being pressured to go again by a friend lol)

Sai

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
must die on friday was pretty good. i was disappointed that he didn't play a single track from his LP but he's a good DJ and played a lot of good shit anyways, and the show was still hype.

next show is this wednesday! RL Grime!!!

OP
OP
Aomber

Aomber

Oct 25, 2017
Beantown
A decade since Daft Punk's Alive 2007. Watch the full show. https://vimeo.com/241561262

---------------------------------

Been revisiting some Charli XCX music and this song/EP has grown on me. It's produced by PC Music's SOPHIE and I gotta be honest, I really didn't like this when I first heard it around release. Time passed and the weirdness has grown on me, has a weird way of sounding shitty and good at the same time hahaha

That being said, it's definitely not for everyone. SOPHIE has a really strange sound, there's still some stuff I'm not the biggest fan of.

SOPHIE original:

Last edited:

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
the prices for the camping is crazy! 1200 for a pod that fits 2 people, but of course that is for 3 days straight including a lot of amenities. if i was balling id to that though..

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
'Sup, guys. Just found this thread and thought I would share the classic funky house playlist I made that I'm pretty chuffed with. It's heavily influenced by the stuff they were playing in Vauxhall a while ago before clubbing in London died. :(

https://open.spotify.com/user/ivorbiguns/playlist/2A6a7xZcauZXPFmJKVxwPI

Also this old school psytrance one in case anyone is into that:

https://open.spotify.com/user/ivorbiguns/playlist/5BsdQbnWC5r8fLKNh8Hkli

This is mainly the stuff from when I was in varsity in Cape Town and going to all the parties there.

Let me know if this is not appropriate to share!

OP
OP
Aomber

Aomber

Oct 25, 2017
Beantown

Pretty good EP, quite different from the usual Prydz sound which I can get down with. Trippleton is my favorite of the bunch.

'Sup, guys. Just found this thread and thought I would share the classic funky house playlist I made that I'm pretty chuffed with. It's heavily influenced by the stuff they were playing in Vauxhall a while ago before clubbing in London died. :(

https://open.spotify.com/user/ivorbiguns/playlist/2A6a7xZcauZXPFmJKVxwPI

Also this old school psytrance one in case anyone is into that:

https://open.spotify.com/user/ivorbiguns/playlist/5BsdQbnWC5r8fLKNh8Hkli

This is mainly the stuff from when I was in varsity in Cape Town and going to all the parties there.

Let me know if this is not appropriate to share!
Oh for sure this is 100% appropriate, like I said in the OP we're really loose with what EDM means in here. Basically if it's electronic and you can dance to it in some form it belongs in here :D thanks for sharing!

tiesto

Oct 27, 2017
Long Island, NY
Yeah this is true, I mean, in my days I remember this was considered PsyTrance

although now everyone would tell you this is just trance. And maybe before that psy was different... so yeah, styles keep changing.

Right now everyone knows psytrance for that Vini Vici-like style. Everyone does that same fast beat that change to a more "jumping" like one.

Believe it or not, I never heard the original version of this song! Tiesto's remix was a big tune for me back in the day, though definitely much more traditional/Dutch trance than psy:

I just d/led the EP, I think Spanish Delight is my favorite out of all the tracks on the release...

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
Next Wednesday its Marcus Schulz and then on Saturday its San holo, just a gent and droeloe* (I always spell their name wrong)

Pretty excited.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Believe it or not, I never heard the original version of this song! Tiesto's remix was a big tune for me back in the day, though definitely much more traditional/Dutch trance than psy:

ah, really? The original version was in Tiestos' In Search of Sunrise vol.1 CD. (love that album, btw !)

Sai

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
A decade since Daft Punk's Alive 2007. Watch the full show. https://vimeo.com/241561262

---------------------------------

Been revisiting some Charli XCX music and this song/EP has grown on me. It's produced by PC Music's SOPHIE and I gotta be honest, I really didn't like this when I first heard it around release. Time passed and the weirdness has grown on me, has a weird way of sounding shitty and good at the same time hahaha

That being said, it's definitely not for everyone. SOPHIE has a really strange sound, there's still a lot of his stuff I"m not the biggest fan of.

SOPHIE original:

I'm soooooo glad you're getting into SOPHIE now. They definitely have a pretty unique vision and sound, but their shit is soooooooo killed. VYZEE is absolutely one of my favorites! They put on a killer live show/DJ set too!

OP
OP
Aomber

Aomber

Oct 25, 2017
Beantown
I'm soooooo glad you're getting into SOPHIE now. They definitely have a pretty unique vision and sound, but their shit is soooooooo killed. VYZEE is absolutely one of my favorites! They put on a killer live show/DJ set too!
Yeah it's an acquired taste there's no question about it. Anyway I found this boiler room set from a few years ago, will have to check it out more later today

Also I apologize if it looked like I was making gender assumptions in my original post, what I said before was just based on what I'd read previously on the internet, but after seeing your post and reading an article that was my mistake. Just wanted to be clear on that and I edited that post.

Last edited: