• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Thats really surprising. I honesty still expected the male audience to be way bigger.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
I hope that this, alongside Nintendo's higher than average numbers of female stuff, starts reflecting on their software output more.

Last edited:

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
I don't know what this post is insinuating but I'd like you to know it can easily be read as wanting to "snap" women out of gaming spaces. I read it that way, and I'm a man.

Good on the Switch. I hope they continue to attract fans for a good amount of time to come. I've had nothing but positive experiences with my system, barring a few Joy Con oddities.

ETA: I had a total Agahnim's Hat/Head slash Black Omen Tower/Ship moment here where I got something in my head one way and needed additional possible context explained (thanks SuperFakerBros ), because I've largely only seen people use this picture/moment to depict wiping out half of (insert thing here). The other image with a knife, posted further down in this thread by Neoxon is the one I've seen used to depict "balance".

Drax, is that you? You are unable to catch that thing that flew over your head?

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
I'm honestly surprised the ratio became so balanced given 2018 release schedule.
Is it the Pokemon Let's go effect? I don't think smash has attracted so many more female players than male ones...
System was harder to get in the first year so probably more male core gamer that pre-ordered and secured their console.

In 2018 it was available everywhere and more bundles catering to a broader market were released. It makes sense.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I hope Nintendo that this, alongside Nintendo's higher than average numbers of female stuff, starts reflecting on their software output more.
Nintendo gets high females ratios because their software appeals to females in the 1st place. pokemon, animal crossing, aswell a games that specifically sets out to target them like style savvy gets alot of female gamers. Even more core games gets alot of females, for instance the reason Link looks so pretty and attractive is to appease them.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
If it's really this even, then I got to wonder if this will become the first system where the female ratio is actually higher once Animal Crossing drops, at least temporarily.
Nintendo gets high females ratios because their software appeals to females in the 1st place. pokemon, animal crossing, aswell a games that specifically sets out to target them like style savvy gets alot of female gamers. Even more core games gets alot of females, for instance the reason Link looks so pretty and attractive is to appease them.
I know, but why rest on the laurels?

Nintendo stands to profit immensely if they can continue to get more and more women into their console's userbase.

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm more surprised the PS4 and especially X1 demographic is anywhere close to 50/50. Definitely a lot more games aimed at the typical 'male hardcore' like military shooters in there.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If it's really this even, then I got to wonder if this will become the first system where the female ratio is actually higher once Animal Crossing drops, at least temporarily.

Nintendo stands to profit immensely if they can continue to get more and more women into their console's userbase.
It's never really bad to have more i guess.
I'm more surprised the PS4 and especially X1 demographic is anywhere close to 50/50. Definitely a lot more games aimed at the typical 'male hardcore' like military shooters in there.
for a long while if you wanted anything that wasent on a portable you'd have to get a PS4 or atleast settle on a XB1, thats not to say that there arent girls who dont appreciate the shootbangs from time to time.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France

Yoshi, AC and Pokemon this year will do the job. Fire emblem has a huge female userbase too.

And they still have style savvy, rythm heaven, Mario maker, etc. Lots of IPs that cater to this demographic.

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
for those saying a 55/45 being hard to see, think about it for a moment. on avrage fps players, exclude overwatch/fortnite, tend to be male players, female players tend to fall towards rpgs/sing player. also, they on avrages are far less likly to go to online forums like this one b/c of harassment. yes 55/45 is totaly belivable.

Grug

Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo are kicking so many goals right now.

It's a great thing for the industry.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Anecdotally, this rings true for the people I know who have a Switch and is also pretty even for PS4/Xbox which seems to have a similar ratio

As other have said, excellent for the industry.

Kivvi

Jun 25, 2018
This is hard to believe. I mean, if it's true great, finally more girls that play but still... there's a catch somewhere, especially on the ps4/XBone numbers.
What is the ratio here on Era for example?

Oct 29, 2017
Good news. That's a much healthier demographic split than during the first year. Very impressive that Nintendo managed to broaden the Switch's demographics so early on in its life!

Shame that they didn't seem to track anyone younger than 18. The loss of the child demographic is Nintendo's (and the game industry's as a whole) biggest problem right now...

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
My family is three switches, one male and two females. Soon to be four switches, one male and three females :)
I think it bodes very well for the games that will be released on it with that demographic.

Nobody can claim in good faith that a female protag will not sell for instance even if that has been debunked so many times now (hi Horizon).

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I have a Switch and my girlfriend has a Switch so their numbers check out.

In all seriousness, this is very good news. The ratio was very lopsided at the beginning and had me worried that it would affect Nintendo's software output negatively.

Tito

Oct 28, 2017
That's incredible. Stardew Valley, Mario Kart and Pokemon doing their job.

Animal Crossing is going to be insane this holiday season.

Yoshi should do well too, Good Feel games are popular with the girls at my house.

ghostship

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The 50/50 on Switch is also hard to believe. It would be cool if true, but it's pretty surprising. Also, early adopters genre split data (70-30) is not in line with Nintendo's data on April 17 (90-10) nor October 17 (86-11).

Bear in mind potential differences in data collection methods. Nintendo's figures come from asking "what is the age and gender of the person in your household who had the strongest desire to purchase Nintendo Switch?", a question that excludes all but one individual in multi-player households.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Bear in mind potential differences in data collection methods. Nintendo's figures come from asking "what is the age and gender of the person in your household who had the strongest desire to purchase Nintendo Switch?", a question that excludes all but one individual in multi-player households.

Yes, you are right and I'm not saying this data is wrong. But it's difficult to make an assessment without knowing which methods they used to obtain the data. For example, they totally ignored the existence of under 18 users, so does it mean that the data comes from who buys the console?. That would mean a mother buying a Switch for her son would wrongly count as a female user. We don't really know, that's what I meant.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Can we finally finish with the narrative of "Nintendo should not make X game because demography is Y"?

Precisely for that reason different games are launched, to appeal to different demographics.

Deleted member 31092

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Nook is gonna bath in money again this year

tom-nook-moneyjpg.jpeg

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know what this post is insinuating but I'd like you to know it can easily be read as wanting to "snap" women out of gaming spaces. I read it that way, and I'm a man.
In your defence, I've never seen the film so I read it in a similar way since i only know of the wiping away 50% meme when it comes to Thanos (well that and dropping the cosmic cube). I was very much like "What the nani?"

Marvel peeps need to realise not everyone knows their inside jokes. This is a videogame board rather than a comics board after all.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
I'm waiting for a good translation of Nintendo's recent investor Q&A, because it had some incredibly interesting information about the gender composition of Nintendo's studios that should be discussed.
I don't see anything related to gender in the Japanese Q&A... but maybe it's because of a lack of vocabulary for me.

Madison

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lima, Peru
Wow, 50/50 in the US, thats pretty impressive.

I am worried though because that means that women are invading videogames and we might not be safe.

yeah im joking if you cant tell

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
I'm starting to get a lot of comments towards this report on the 50:50 gender ratio, and they are saying they are skeptical of the data obtained. They feel that the data isn't genuine, as (according to them) Nintendo don't outright hand out data such as demographic genders. Any insights on how to explain this to them?

Nook is gonna bath in money again this year
tom-nook-moneyjpg.jpeg

I see you enjoyed my profile account...

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
That younger demographic means we can finally put to bed the myth that Nintendo only caters to it's 'faithful' fanbase right? Since the largest demographic there would have been at most 7 when the gamecube released.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
That younger demographic means we can finally put to bed the myth that Nintendo only caters to it's 'faithful' fanbase right? Since the largest demographic there would have been at most 7 when the gamecube released.
Actually, the younger demographic (age less than 18 years old) were excluded from this gender ratio data report.

Does anyone know why though? Or is this because the children or young teenagers under the age of 18 don't have legal consent to be part of the report/survey?

Heon

Oct 25, 2017
It's the PS4 / Xbox gender split numbers that throw all their numbers into question.

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
Do Switch owners under 18 not exist? Does my niece not exist?

Bizarre methodology of polling.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
That's really impressive. This were very skewed early on, surprised it equalized so quickly even with the great success it's seen.

I imagine AC is going to be an even bigger monster seller than previously expected. FE hopefully as well too.

Also give us a BotW sequel starring Zelda in the Sacred Realm like a Zelda version of Alice in Wonderland.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
It's the PS4 / Xbox gender split numbers that throw all their numbers into question.
Yes, the numbers are now being questioned (by other commenters on Reddit, of course).

If only NPD Group would reveal how the numbers are calculated, otherwise, people would start to distrust the numbers being reported.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
That's incredible. Stardew Valley, Mario Kart and Pokemon doing their job.

Animal Crossing is going to be insane this holiday season.

Yoshi should do well too, Good Feel games are popular with the girls at my house.

I think it's much more than that. The favourite switch games for my wife are bayonetta, diablo 3 and the binding of isaac.

But I think Animal Crossing will be a hit both with her and my daughters.