• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
ad0f45_6cbeee8aff4244e2ae04c7be39302a16~mv2.jpg

ad0f45_d3b94bd3ca5a4ba582a1b38c1bf48d5b~mv2.jpg

The early demographic for the Switch was heavily skewed, with males accounting for 70% of the of the player base. Over time this has shifted over to an almost 50/50 split between males and females, much more in line with what you would expect from console player bases from the PS4 and Xbox One. In fact, the Switch skews slightly more towards females than either of the other two consoles, which have averaged a 55% male split. Ages for initial Switch owners skewed towards people in their mid-twenties to mid-thirties. Later, demographics would begin to skew both younger and older, suggesting that families and younger people (with little disposable income) were not as quick to adopt the platform right away.

Worth noting, this 50/50 split has been achieved before Animal Crossing has even launched, so that female ratio should get even higher by year's end.

There's a lot more in the article including money spent on gaming and the top five games played by Nintendo Switch owners, well worth a read.

https://www.eedar.com/eedar-blog/2018-q4-round-up

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't want to put it all in the OP because you should really click the link, but another incredibly interesting stat is the top 5 most played games on any platform by Nintendo Switch owners:

ad0f45_b91d575a9bd845b892673ca02f8d7c72~mv2.jpg

Definitely has started to shift to more family friendly games!

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit, there is no better time for animal crossing and new gen pokemon, the sales are gonna explode

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how fast that ratio evened out after a certain raccoon appeared at his desk.

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know what this post is insinuating but I'd like you to know it can easily be read as wanting to "snap" women out of gaming spaces. I read it that way, and I'm a man.

Good on the Switch. I hope they continue to attract fans for a good amount of time to come. I've had nothing but positive experiences with my system, barring a few Joy Con oddities.

ETA: I had a total Agahnim's Hat/Head slash Black Omen Tower/Ship moment here where I got something in my head one way and needed additional possible context explained (thanks SuperFakerBros ), because I've largely only seen people use this picture/moment to depict wiping out half of (insert thing here). The other image with a knife, posted further down in this thread by Neoxon is the one I've seen used to depict "balance".

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
I don't know what this post is insinuating but I'd like you to know it can easily be read as wanting to "snap" women out of gaming spaces. I read it that way, and I'm a man.

Good on the Switch. I hope they continue to attract fans for a good amount of time to come. I've had nothing but positive experiences with my system, barring a few Joy Con oddities.
It was insinuating that it's balanced, as all things should be

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
NICE!

50-50 split in gender is actually very very good.

Actually, it's even rare nowadays. I wondered if Xbox and PS4 have 50-50 gender ratio splits?

Lozjam

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
Like I said: The Wii generation is really putting in some work here. People who grew up with the Wii are finally coming back.

This is great strides for more diversity in gaming though!

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, thanks.

Gee, I don't know, because they're neatly divided into halves and Thanos wanted to "snap" half away into nothingness?
Oh, I didn't know you were responding to that. I thought you meant OP., you should add the quote in your post. Even still, it's a very famous meme/reference to get what that meant.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Like I said: The Wii generation is really putting in some work here. People who grew up with the Wii are finally coming back.

This is great strides for more diversity in gaming though!
To an extent, but it's definitely not going nearly full wii demo and a lot more just people either getting into gaming recently or getting back into gaming/nintendo from before.

Oct 28, 2017
Oh, I didn't know you were responding to that. I thought you meant OP., you should add the quote in your post. Even still, it's a very famous meme/reference to get what that meant.
Yeah, I deleted the image without putting a space or anything, so the forum ate the quote. That's my bad. The image posted is during the actual "snap" event though. Or the part where's he's wistfully talking about doing it. I've only watched it once, but I think there are probably better images or memes to depict "balance".

Deleted member 3700

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, this is an incredibly healthy demographics. Once Animal Crossing drops, even more women / girls will buy one.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Thanos derailing threads again lol.

Back on topic. That's very even number. Wow!

Lozjam

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
To an extent, but it's definitely not going nearly full wii demo and a lot more just people either getting into gaming recently or getting back into gaming/nintendo from before.
No, but the majority of the people who own the Switch, that 18-24 range. Those people were kids, and they were 5-11 years old when the Wii came out. For the younger portion of that demographic, the Wii was their first home console due to parents getting it because of the fad. However, the kids were likely the ones playing core Nintendo IPs, hence why the Switch is doing so well with that exact demographic.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
it's probably closer to 70/30 , fake gamer dudes don't even play games they just complain about shit on forums

choodi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia

And people say outrage culture doesn't exist...

Boomasoona

Feb 3, 2019
Are these demographics for people who bought during the quarter, or what the total user base was like during that quarter. If it's the latter I'm surprised it got to 50:50 so quickly. Not surprised with that 18-24 age demographic. The Wii/DS kids generation is powerful.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Are these demographics for people who bought during the quarter, or what the total user base was like during that quarter. If it's the latter I'm surprised it got to 50:50 so quickly. Not surprised with that 18-24 age demographic. The Wii/DS kids generation is powerful.
Went from 80:20 (Nintendo IR PPT) to 70:30 (in OP) to 50:50 (in OP). LTD.

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
Gee, I don't know, because they're neatly divided into halves and Thanos wanted to "snap" half away into nothingness?
Yo, dawg, I'm as pro-feminist and equality and progressive as I can get with a Y chromosome, but I think you're stretching things just a skooooooooooooosh here.

"Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar." --Sigmund Freud

Amaterasu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Fuckin' hell...
Some people are just looking to be outraged.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
I'm honestly surprised the ratio became so balanced given 2018 release schedule.
Is it the Pokemon Let's go effect? I don't think smash has attracted so many more female players than male ones...

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
I'm glad we can now retire that one chart from like 2 weeks after launch that showed a heavy male lean that people were still using to argue that women don't play on Switch.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
This, and finding out that apparently its 55/45 on the other consoles is comforting.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
I'm waiting for a good translation of Nintendo's recent investor Q&A, because it had some incredibly interesting information about the gender composition of Nintendo's studios that should be discussed.