• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
These two are probably the most famous mad scientist in gaming

Between the two of them who is the better villain? Who does their role better, who has better creations and a much more impact on their franchises

Bunzy

Banned
Nov 1, 2018
You know, they both kind of have different strategies. I'll give Wily a point because the dude makes some hard enemies for his nemesis but then again I got to give a point to my man Eggy. Robotinik is really living that fuck it we'll do it live mentality when fighting sonic, boy gets in there and gets his hands dirty in most of the battles.

Also both are gigantic dumb shits. Let's take Wily for example, here is a guy who creates a robot like leaf man or electric man. He does realize he can just make a robot who has all these abilities right? I mean not only does it create weaker enemies but damn, his r&d budget is probably more inefficient in spending then the US military's

Last edited:

nbnt

Oct 26, 2017
One looks unique and instantly recognizable, the other is just an old dude in a lab coat. There's no comparison here.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
I dunno. Eggman keeps unleashing and harnessing these elemental beings of destruction, which is a point in his favor, but he always loses control, nearly destroying the earth, which is a point against him. Though he did come pretty close to world domination in SA2.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Eggman has that Sauron "I don't want to cure cancer, I want to turn people into dinosaurs" energy with wanting to make animals power this machines.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Eggman. Dude blew up part of the moon and was close to accomplishing his goals far more than Wily has.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
Hmm...my vote would probably have to go to Wily, in the end.

As powerful as Eggman's multiple creations are, and then there's Metal Sonic that could possibly keep up with Bass and/or Zero with the way it can "Copy Biodata", as well? Bass, and especially Zero, seem to be much better performing combat robots with superior destructive power, to boot. And don't need extra power sources (see: Chaos Emeralds or better) to do the job, either.

And Eggman has never, at least in the games, produced anything quite as devastating as the Maverick Virus would be. Shoot, even the Roboenza alone from MM10 could wreck shop on Eggman's side.

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
Gotta agree with Zero being a pretty big accomplishment for Wily. Then again would many of the problems in X's timeline exists without the Zero/Maverick virus infecting Sigma and turning him Maverick? Also Zero's existence led to Omega's existence, leading to even more problems.

Eggman. Dude blew up part of the moon and was close to accomplishing his goals far more than Wily has.

Uh Zero and the Maverick/Zero Virus lead to a ton of shit going down in X's timeline including the Elf Wars.

I do like that Battle Network Universe's Wily eventually became a good guy.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think Eggman's got the stronger bots overall. Wily didn't even make all of the robot masters. He stole some of them

Also none of them have jack shit on Sonic
e8aa90799c4f6fb6dcc4d8a146acc2a1.jpg

Without Zero, Wily doesn't really have anything

Psyrgery

Nov 7, 2017
Eggmans got the bots, is smart and is FASTER than Sonic even if he's overweight.

Plus he's played by Jim Carrey in the movie.

Wily is a nobody compared to him.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Honestly, the only thing that kept Eggman from outright winning in SA2 was the fact that his grandfather was even more batshit insane than he was.

Wily really only has Zero as a major point in his favor, though Zero's existence alone led to the Maverick Wars in the X series, the Eurasia incident in X5, and (more indirectly) the Elf Wars, which I think killed like over half the human population on the planet or something?

Eggman is probably the better villain but I'd say Wily has the bloodier legacy.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Plus Wily's never won. The Maverick Virus was some good post-mortem revenge but that's about it. Eggman's beaten Sonic on multiple occasions, and in Sonic SatAM he's actually taken over the planet.

And I know the Death Battle gave the win to Zero over Metal by scaling Zero to Mega Man and scaling Mega Man to Quickman, but Quickman is slow as shit compared to Sonic (in the scan I posted above, Sonic fought multiple robot masters and intercepted Quickman in the time it took him to cross about 20 feet) and Metal can keep pace with him in normal form. Sonic had to go Super and needed Tails and Knuckles help to beat Metal at full power

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
Zero is barely a point in Wily's favor since he only managed to create Zero after accidentally creating Bass. And even then, Zero had a programming flaw that made him refuse to obey orders, which is why Wily sealed him up in the first place.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Wily's deeds outright ended humanity.

Then again, Eggaman brought out a deity that split the Earth in pieces.

Hard to say.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Also. Wily making Zero is not a point in his favor. He ended up becoming a good guy, the exact opposite of what Wily wanted.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Zero is barely a point in Wily's favor since he only managed to create Zero after accidentally creating Bass. And even then, Zero had a programming flaw that made him refuse to obey orders, which is why Wily sealed him up in the first place.
Technically Metal has a similar flaw but Metal is also an evil genius so I'll still give that point to Eggman

TwinBahamut

Jun 8, 2018
Dr. Wily is easily the better villain. He builds the cooler death machines, has the armies of fun Robot Masters, and has a huge ripple effect on hundreds of years of in-game history. Unlike Robotnik, who gets supplanted by other villains all the time, Wily almost never gets upstaged by other villains.

And if you add a lot of small comments and inferences in the games and combine them with Wily's portrayals in things like the Megamix manga, he is actually a complex and interesting villain. He wants to rule the world and detests Dr. Light, but at the same time he genuinely likes robots and values their independence and free will. This contradiction is what leads him to create Zero, a robot created for revenge who was nonetheless capable of both protecting the world and defying humanity to save reploids. He's a great character when used well.

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
Wily was still able to exist in someway in the X timeline too, despite being dead. It's been hinted multiple times he was working with Sigma, through both Serges and Isoc.

Look at this suave man. Eggman has never looked this fly.

Dec 2, 2017
I think Eggman's got the stronger bots overall. Wily didn't even make all of the robot masters. He stole some of them

Also none of them have jack shit on Sonic
e8aa90799c4f6fb6dcc4d8a146acc2a1.jpg

Without Zero, Wily doesn't really have anything
Yeah, this image is bullshit. There's no way he's one-shotting all those guys. There should be rings flying all over the place there.

All of Eggman's contraptions get wrecked by having a small animal jump on them repeatedly, he's straight trash. The only thing Eggman has going for him in this fight is his mean bean machine.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
In Unleashed he fragmented the planet, and in Generations he appears to have broken reality.

He didn't do that "on his own", though. If you're going to dock Wily points because "it's not always his creations", then certainly similar applies to Eggman.

The Eclipse Cannon that blew up the moon? That was his Grandpa's pet project for revenge.
Unleashed? His efforts to siphon off the Super Sonic and the Chaos Emerald's energy awoke Dark Gaia, who really was the culprit for the planet's splintering.
Chaos was a vengeful deity that he unsealed.
Time Eater was a time-space deity he "discovered" after his funland in space got destroyed.

And so forth, and so on.

Also. Wily making Zero is not a point in his favor. He ended up becoming a good guy, the exact opposite of what Wily wanted.

You have to remember, though. Perhaps even more than world domination, what was more important to Wily's petty ass was proving his superiority to Light and his creations. A thing that Zero achieved by being arguably the "superior hunter" over X.

If we chose to abide by Isoc (who probably was another Wily proxy), then Wily was just proud that Zero consistently has proved himself "the strongest robot".

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
He didn't do that "on his own", though. If you're going to dock Wily points because "it's not always his creations", then certainly similar applies to Eggman.

The Eclipse Cannon that blew up the moon? That was his Grandpa's pet project for revenge.
Unleashed? His efforts to siphon off the Super Sonic and the Chaos Emerald's energy awoke Dark Gaia, who really was the culprit for the planet's splintering.
Time Eater was a time-space deity he "discovered" after his funland in space got destroyed.

And so forth, and so on.
Death Egg 1 and 2. He attached a laser to the 2nd one, then blew up a cluster of stars as a show of force.

Last edited:

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
I have to agree Wily has the bloodier legacy, Eggman has the swag though with them SA era theme songs {shout out to the arrangement they did in Shadow's game).

Buzzth

Jan 15, 2018
Japan
Come on, it's Dr. Robotnik and it isn't even close.

"BEHOOOOOLD MY FLOATING MASTERPIECE THE EGG CARRIERRRR"

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Eggman for sure. The things he's accomplished, the sheer scale of what he creates and in comparison to Wily he's simply a far more brilliant scientist.

Wily is theft of Dr. Light's collaborations, his inventions, and scale of his brilliance are limited to crime and anarchy. Eggman in comparison can have world governments, other worlds, and even whole dimensions under his control in mere feats.

The only thing Wily has above Eggman is that he has killed or was the reason many people have died. Though it could be argued Eggman has killed many people off-screen or whatever being that he convinces to work under him has killed. (Metal Sonic, Chaos, Shadow, ect).

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
Better at their job:

Eggman has managed to completely screw over his archenemy and overrun the world in his absence more than once, on top of changing his fundamental scheme up pretty regularly.

Wily can't manage to lock Mega Man down at all, and for all that he keeps trying different fronts and scapegoats to throw off suspicion, never caught on to the fact that building or stealing eight robot masters and a skull fortress just doesn't work until just before he died. A version of him in the future who actually did capture Mega Man decided to send him back in time to kill the original with a pogo stick, which did not end well.

Eggman has a bad track record with meddling with forces beyond his understanding and needing his archenemy to clean up his mess, while Wily only had it happen once.

Eggman has the better sense of style, though Wily's shown recent signs of improvement.

Point to Eggman for being the more effective and creative villain overall.

Better creations:

Both of them built evil doppelgangers who got sick of their creator's shit and rebelled, though Eggman got his back under control after the first time.

Wily eventually built another super powerful evil doppelganger who was legitimately a generation ahead, but he never got used properly and wound up becoming the world's greatest hero and best friend of Wily's archrival's final creation, and eventually brought about his dream instead of Wily's own.

Point to Eggman for his creations not undermining his entire legacy in a fit of supreme dramatic irony.

Biggest impact:

Eggman's long term impact on the Sonic universe is hard to measure because we're never going to see it, but it's hard to imagine him being content to let a superweapon carry on his dirty work after his death. He's a hands on kind of guy who needs to revel in the glory of victory himself or it doesn't count. Once he croaks, that'll eventually be the end of it.

Wily's ultimate robot spent centuries affecting the course of the world long after his creator vanished from memory, while his ultimate virus did the same from the other side, causing centuries of fear, terror, madness, and directly contributed to at least one global apocalypse that wound up almost killing off humanity.

Point to Wily for playing the long game, even it wound up with one half of his scheme fighting the other half.

Last edited:

Rhete

Oct 27, 2017
Enemies in the Sonic games are speedbumps that are dispatched in one hit. Eggman frequently puts himself in harms way by building mechanisms that he has to operate himself to fight Sonic with. Wily on the other hand creates entire armies of threatening robots, lietenants in the form of the Robot Masters, massive mechanical castles to protect himself, and when all that fails, only then does he attack MegaMan directly in his own contraption, which usually has 2 or 3 forms to boot. I think Wily is better at what he does.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017

And so forth, and so on.

You have to remember, though. Perhaps even more than world domination, what was more important to Wily's petty ass was proving his superiority to Light and his creations. A thing that Zero achieved by being arguably the "superior hunter" over X.

If we chose to abide by Isoc (who probably was another Wily proxy), then Wily was just proud that Zero consistently has proved himself "the strongest robot".

That's really debatable. Canonically speaking, X is still the "hero" of his series. He starts out inferior to Zero but becomes the hero of the world before too long. Zero and Axl are well respected, but never get that type of legacy in the X series. X also has the "infinite potential" thing said right in his name. He can getting stronger Infinitely, i don't think any other character has been described like that.

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Eggman, cause he is smart enough to not let himself go in the pursue of knowledge. He does enough cardio to not only keep up with Sonic, but also in short bursts outrun him.

tumblr_inline_nrwnuwl0ps1r5eal6_500.gif

Also, was handpicked to be an olympic athlete for multiple years.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think if Eggman actually wanted the Earth completely gone, it'd be gone by now. Whenever it gets to the point where the earth's actually going to be obliterated he typically ends up saving it because he wants to rule the planet, not destroy it (which doesn't make a ton of sense during parts of Sonic Adventure 2 but whatever)
Enemies in the Sonic games are speedbumps that are dispatched in one hit. Eggman frequently puts himself in harms way by building mechanisms that he has to operate himself to fight Sonic with. Wily on the other hand creates entire armies of threatening robots, lietenants in the form of the Robot Masters, massive mechanical castles to protect himself, and when all that fails, only then does he attack MegaMan directly in his own contraption, which usually has 2 or 3 forms to boot. I think Wily is better at what he does.
But he loses. Like every single time. Eggman's won a small handful of times. Also, to Sonic, government-funded mechs are speedbumps.
Eegman, cause he is smart enough to not let himself go in the pursue of knowledge. He does enough cardio to not only keep up with Sonic, but also in short bursts outrun him.

tumblr_inline_nrwnuwl0ps1r5eal6_500.gif

Also, was handpicked to be an olympic athlete in multiple years.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Gerald's more despicable than both of them, though.

Literally goes "You took away my granddaughter and my research, so I'll nuke your planet." right in front of a firing squad.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Gerald's more despicable than both of them, though.

Literally goes "You took away my granddaughter and my research, so I'll nuke your planet." right in front of a firing squad.
At least Eggman's usually bluffing with his planet-busting weapons (I mean they work but he wants the planet to still be there). Gerald was straight up gonna do it.

Also he teamed up with the space devil to make Shadow

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think if Eggman actually wanted the Earth completely gone, it'd be gone by now. Whenever it gets to the point where the earth's actually going to be obliterated he typically ends up saving it because he wants to rule the planet, not destroy it (which doesn't make a ton of sense during parts of Sonic Adventure 2 but whatever)

But he loses. Like every single time. Eggman's won a small handful of times. Also, to Sonic, government-funded mechs are speedbumps.

This.

If Eggman WANTED to destroy everything like a maniacal mustache-twirling bad guy he could. But Eggman desires to rule, to be worshipped and praised. He knows he's the smartest man in the universe and he has proved that on countless occasions. Eggman is a tyrant. Wiley is apocalyptic.

Moose the Fattest Cat

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Eggman is the more developed character

Eggman builds the most eccentric machines

Eggman has more style

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
At least Eggman's usually bluffing with his planet-busting weapons (I mean they work but he wants the planet to still be there). Gerald was straight up gonna do it.

Also he teamed up with the space devil to make Shadow

Exactly. His grandfather was more devious and twisted than he could ever be.

Shadow backtracking on that was just stupid. Let a character be morally despicable.