• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 28, 2017
Nabih al-Wahsh, an Egyptian layer, made the statement below during a panel show which was debating on prostitution.
Nabih al-Wahsh, a prominent conservative, made the controversial comments during a TV panel show discussion debating a draft law on prostitution.

"Are you happy when you see a girl walking down the street with half of her behind showing?" the lawyer said on Al-Assema earlier this month.

He added: "I say that when a girl walks about like that, it is a patriotic duty to sexually harass her and a national duty to rape her."

There has been outcry from Egypt's National Council for Women, which said it would be filing a complaint against the layer.

This isn't a new thought in Egypt with:
A 2008 study found that 83 per cent of Egyptian women said they had been sexually harassed and 53 per cent of men blamed women for "bringing it on themselves".

This is a disgusting view to have about women who live or are visiting the country, and can even wear clothes they want (especially considering how hot the weather can get there)

How do people still have this opinion today? And is there still a lot of people that still have these opinions?

Link(Independent.co.uk)

FireSafetyBear

Banned for use of an alt-account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Unfortunately this is a view everywhere in the world.

I read countless times on articles from people who say "maybe if that child wasn't at that part" "maybe she shouldn't have wore a skirt" "maybe she shouldn't have drink alone with them".

Victim blaming 101.

Not Asleep

Oct 25, 2017
Wtf. I literally cannot compose a meaningful sentence about how I feel about the "patriotic duty to rape" because I'm screaming incoherently in my head. I'm just posting to register a highly negative reaction to this quote.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
"I think it's every mans duty to force any woman and claim her body for your own because I and no other man can and should be expected to control themselves."

It's already frightening anyway but replace rape with murder and this same dude would be disgusted at the very idea that killing should be a person's duty basically if they personally feel their victim is a juicy enough target.

ntropy

Oct 27, 2017

I read countless times on articles from people who say "maybe if that child wasn't at that part" "maybe she shouldn't have wore a skirt" "maybe she shouldn't have drink alone with them".

Victim blaming 101.
you are equating duty with tactless suggestion.

Deleted member 9971

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah this is not Ancient Egypt anymore or Primal times. What a crazy dude, how can anyone think like that in this modern day and age.

Taurus Silver

Big ol' Nerd
Oct 29, 2017
Damn, a woman deserves to be raped for wearing revealing clothing? Maybe men who think like this deserve to be castrated.

Sarcastico

Oct 27, 2017
Disgusting human garbage.

EDIT: At first I thought they may have exaggerated the translation, but nope, those were his exact words!

Deleted member 8117

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There's no news here. As an Egyptian, I can assure you that's what at least 70% of egyptian men believe. And I'm being nice with the 70% estimation.

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
An Egyptian friend of mine recently had to go back there because her visa wasn't renewed. Seeing stuff like this makes me genuinely worry for her safety. Fuck this disgusting sack of shit.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Holy shit. That's pure evil. You do hear victim blaming of the sort in other modern cultures which get shut down pretty quickly thankfully but that is beyond extreme.

Felt

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
From building the world's tallest building 4,000 years ago using ingenious technology and thousands of peoples' united efforts to this...

Hindle

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah this is not Ancient Egypt anymore or Primal times. What a crazy dude, how can anyone think like that in this modern day and age.

Your mistake is thinking this guys mindset is modern. It' still very medieval. He doesn't exist in our times and neither does this region.

Luxorek

Oct 25, 2017
Poland
What an animal. No wonder female tourists are discouraged from going anywhere beyond the hotel compounds.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Women are whores who can only be kept in line with random acts of sexual violence, and men are uncontrollable beasts who administer the sexual violence. What kind of fucking world view is this?

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017

Victim blaming 101.
There's a pretty big gulf of difference with that kind of victim blaming and "it's men's duty to rape women who dress in revealing clothing" type of thinking. One is a misguided & dumb way of looking at the issue, the other is advocating for rape.

Carfo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Victim blaming 101.

Yes except it's more prevalent in conservative Islamic countries due to the nature of the Quaran and how they interpret it. Take a look at the responses here--no one would ever agree with what the lawyer said, but apparently in Egypt, half the posts here would be in agreement.

Oct 25, 2017
Monumentally depressing. As a guy it really bums me out to read things like this, how can people still have so little compassion for others in this day and age. Literal savage, deserves a lifetime of solitude.

Deleted member 19003

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hoping he gets a lot of backlash, but considering the region. Hell, who am i kidding, it's not just the region, it's worldwide. Even the US is complicit with pussygrabber in chief voted in.

Monogatari

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Conservative Islamic values help instigate this kind of thinking. Until you uproot that with modern European Enlightenment values, you will inevtiably get these abhorrent views.

Sections of Turkish society are regressing to this kind of behaviour thanks to the political atmosphere there.

From building the world's tallest building 4,000 years ago using ingenious technology and thousands of peoples' united efforts to this...

Ancient Egypt was very backwards as well...

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is horrific.

I can't even fathom a day to day life surrounded by people who would think this, particularly if I was a Woman.
And Egypt is supposed to be one of the more developped/ civilized countries in the region I believe...