• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Smitch

Unshakable Resolve
Apr 21, 2022

View: https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1587513793663434752?cxt=HHwWgIC8tczY_YcsAAAA

View: https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1587515910046220288
www.bloomberg.com

Embracer Group Shuts Down Montreal Video Game Studio

Onoma, the maker of Hitman Go, will close up shop.
The move appears to be part of a larger cost-cutting initiative. Eidos Montreal has reduced the scope of one unannounced project and will cancel another one, the people said. The company also plans to work with Microsoft Corp. to help develop some games, including one in the Fable franchise.

HeavenlyE

Oct 27, 2017
This is a continuation right, they regularly helped Microsoft while part of SE or am I thinking of a different studio

nvm that was Crystal Dynamics

Aeroucn

Oct 27, 2017
Wait so Embracer renamed the studio a few weeks ago and now they shut it down?? wtf lol

CubeApple76

Jan 20, 2021
This is a continuation right, they regularly helped Microsoft while part of SE or am I thinking of a different studio
Probably thinking of Crystal Dynamics which is helping on Perfect Dark. But I think this is fairly standard either way - most AAA games have co-developers that have certain parts of the game handed off to.

Frieza

Oct 25, 2017
Is it a new Fable game separate from the one Playground is working on? Or were they trying to be a support studio?

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
Why didn't Xbox just buy Crystal Dynamics and Eidos Montreal?

they were sold after activision acquisition.

Well, now you have Game Pass so the games don't necessarily have to be a mega success. If anything, smaller side games are perfect for GP.
it's not that old

www.youtube.com

Fable Fortune Review

Fable Fortune has some novel ideas that put a new spin on gameplay that's familiar to CCG fans, but is lacking polish and some basic features.Subscribe to IG...

it's a hearthstone clone lol

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
Square Enix didn't sell their trove of IP and studios for a particularly high price, but MS was caught up in ABK is the main reason.

Studio and talent up keep matters. Especially Crystal Dynamics, they are an expensive studio. I'm sure ABK acquisition had another hand in it, of course.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
it's not that old

www.youtube.com

Fable Fortune Review

Fable Fortune has some novel ideas that put a new spin on gameplay that's familiar to CCG fans, but is lacking polish and some basic features.Subscribe to IG...

it's a hearthstone clone lol
I feel like releasing a side game 8 years after the last mainline game is a bit silly. If this "side game" coincides with the big Fable game, then it would probably be more successful.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Ok, that was confusing. So it was basically Square Enix's former Montreal-based studio that made mobile games that was shut down. Too bad, since they made some excellent stuff (Tomb Rider Go, Hitman Go, Deus Ex Go, Hitman Sniper). Hopefully the Tomb Raider, Space Invaders and Avatar games continue and Eidos Montreal.

Oct 25, 2017
That reads like they are helping with Fable and other games, not there being multiple Fable games. Could be Perfect Dark like CD.

Shoot

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's really likely that Microsoft would have bought these studios if their hands weren't tied with ABK.

MadeULook

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Washington State
I know it is likely because they had their hands full with ABK, but it is still so weird MS didn't end up with these studios. Seemed like the natural conclusion.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
At this point, I'm not sure why Embracer doesn't just sell the studios to Microsoft (and keep the IPs). It's sounds like they're partnering with Xbox on up to three games. That's a lot of resources dedicated to stuff you don't own.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
At this point, I'm not sure why Embracer doesn't just sell the studios to Microsoft (and keep the IPs). It's sounds like they're partnering with Xbox on up to three games. That's a lot of resources dedicated to stuff you don't own.
why would Embracer sell the studio that is the modern herald for the Deus Ex IP (that they own)? And I'm not sure MS would want to buy a studio without IP to go with it.

Desodeset

May 31, 2019
Sofia, Bulgaria

People are speculating too much. But let's be realistic. Both CD and Eidos are over 500 devs and their projects are most likely in pre-production. That's a lot of free devs and they must be kept busy. As far as i remember, Naughty Dog were in similar situation after the release of TLOU2 and that was one of the reasons why they took over The Last of Us Part 1 development.

On the other hand Microsoft seems to have a lot of troubles with their studios recently and they need some AAA experience.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
jschreier Are you able to corroborate this working with Compulsion Games on Project Midnight rumor from some twitter rando? As part of the plural "games" being co-developed with Xbox? Seems to make the most sense as they are in the same city, but yeah. Thanks

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
I mean it's also just a good way to keep your staff on payroll. New IP take awhile to shift into full production, this helps them avoid layoffs

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
It seems pretty clear with this info along with CD working with Xbox on Perfect Dark that if it weren't for the Activision-Blizzard merger, Xbox absolutely would've bought Eidos from SE.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully helping out with other projects doesn't stretch them too thin to make Deus Ex as good as possible. That series deserves its moment.

I'd imagine it's nice to be able to have otherwise idle devs work on external projects while the next internal project is revving up. At least they're not completely tied down to platform exclusives.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
MS not buying EM and CD was surprising when both studios are co-working with them on various titles.

Under Embracer they are not going to get a massive budget so they'll end up being support studios

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
On the other hand Microsoft seems to have a lot of troubles with their studios recently and they need some AAA experience.
That's an over exaggeration to say the least, especially applying this to Playground of all studios. You have less than a handful out of 23 having an issue, to pretend like it's some XGS wide issue is misleading. The reality is that co-development and outsourcing studios are hard to get currently and come at a higher premium, so the difference in cost isn't as wide and the availability is limited. So contracting these experienced AAA studios when they have lulls in their production, makes a ton of sense in the same way you shift members between internal studios when they're free.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
also, another insider mentions Project Midnight (Compulsion Games) as one of the games that eidos is helping with

View: https://twitter.com/eXtas1stv/status/1587516187465826304

Can't wait to see what this actually turns into, the concept art was other there in the best way possible.
2keiuRJbN5mzmSRFBGi9NS.jpg

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Hmmm, absolutely no clue how fable is going to turn out....seems like it has been in dev for a while without anything shown...

InRainbows: Lots of games announced, very little shown, lots of stories about rebooting, external support, etc.