• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Chrno

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks to a new interview, the man behind One Piece has revealed his ending has yet to be uncovered… and he'll go to great lengths to ensure his final chapter surprises everyone.

Recently, the artist spoke with Fuji TV about One Piece when the network filmed a special about his eclectic home. It was there Eiichiro Oda was asked if he knows how his manga will end, and the artist said he's known about it for decades.

According to Anime News Network, Oda began refining his ending after it came to him in college. Fuji TV went on to ask how the artist would react if a fan were to correctly guess the ending he's got in mind. Stubborn, Oda said he would have to change his ending if that were to happen, so it seems he is confident that no one will figure out where the Straw Hats will end up.

When asked if the treasure was really something immaterial like family bonds, Oda said that was not the case.

"No, I hate that kind of thing," the artist stressed.

"That's like the ending of The Wizard of Oz, which I watched when I was a kid. Adventuring that long, and having the adventure itself be the treasure, is really dissatisfying. Those kinds of stories are impossible. It feels like, 'I've gone on this long adventure, so give me the treasure!'"

In the same article, Oda stated that the series would end with just over 100 volumes. If that's true, I'd say we have 2 years~ to go.

Edit: As a lot of people here mentioned, Oda is usually very tongue-in-cheek during interviews that include the remaining length of the series. I'd take the "little over 100 volumes" with a grain of salt.

Source

Last edited:

John Dope

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He's been pretty consistent over the years when this question is brought up and I'm just happy we are reassured that it's not some corny treasure like power of friendships or bonds or bullshit like that. I still think we have ~5 years left though simply because the man can't help himself when he goes to new arcs and wants to draw everything that comes to his genius brain

Oct 25, 2017
Oda already confirmed before that the actual One Piece is NOT "the friends we made along the way" or some crap like that. He's right to hate that trope.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
These articles always baffle me. Like, why do they act like "knowing the ending in advance" is special, when it's literally one of the very first things us writers actually think about?

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
There was another article where Oda stated that the series would end with just over 100 volumes.. If that's true, I'd say we have 2 years~ to go.

Yeah, that's not happening unless wano is the second from last arc, lol. Even if that is the case, whole cake island took almost two full years alone and I don't see why wano and the following arc would be that much shorter

Oct 25, 2017
These articles always baffle me. Like, why do they act like "knowing the ending in advance" is special, when it's literally one of the very first things us writers actually think about?

You would be surprised at how many manga artists don't have an ending in mind when they start.
*cough*Kubo*cough*

fertygo

Oct 25, 2017
I actually gonna surprised if most mangaka especially battle shounen in popular publication have time to think ahead for the ending.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
lol, when he says "just over 100 volumes", he probably means like 30 or so more volumes.

I doubt Wano will even end in the 100th volume. Oda is known for extending stories more than he expected.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
One Piece is probably ending in the next 10 years or so. Wano is gonna be long and we still have Elbaf to cover.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I saw that it was a mistranslation and he's actually saying that it won't be done in 100 volumes.

Oct 25, 2017
The latest volume released in Japan was 91. It's not ending anytime soon.
Along with Wano set to be a fairly long arc (it's something Oda wanted to do for years), there's still elements like Elbaf, the Void Century, the final Road Poneglyph, the truth of the World Government, the great war that Whitebeard foresaw before his death...

The series won't end when Luffy finds the treasure, that would just be the start of endgame.

OP
OP
Chrno

Chrno

Oct 25, 2017
I saw that it was a mistranslation and he's actually saying that it won't be done in 100 volumes.

1492811419846.png

here's hoping.

Kreed

The Negro Historian
Oct 25, 2017

Many Manga readers seem to be under the impression that authors "wing it" when it comes to writing their stories and are often impressed when authors do simple things like foreshadowing or show any sort of sign that their story has been planned in advance.

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017
I expect when we DO finally reach the last arc, it'll be a Naruto style 3-year war affair.

Only difference is I don't think it will be a fight in one place like Naruto, it most definitely will have multiple fights at different islands between different factions.

One piece world is massive, I trust Oda to show it during the final war.

GameShrink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I still kind of buy the whole "One Piece is a revolutionary weapon hidden away by the civilization that was destroyed by the Celestial Dragons before they became the WG" theory, and that One Piece's endgame will be a rehash of the Whitebeard arc where Luffy brings together all of his allies for a final assault on Marine HQ.

The "memories" of the actual straw hats that have been passed down through generations of great pirates are what unlock this weapon, and those with the "Will of D" are descendents of that destroyed civilization who have the ability to access those memories.

It's not a new theory, but I also wouldn't actually expect Oda to be aware of what the community is guessing, busy as he is.

Oct 26, 2017
In the same article, Oda stated that the series would end with just over 100 volumes.. If that's true, I'd say we have 2 years~ to go.

Source

Come on. You (and anyone has been following these kind of statements from Oda for the past ten-ish years) should know it's intentionally vague, tongue-in-cheek, and underestimated.

Where the manga is right now, no way in hell can the story conclude in 2 years. That's laughable.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Part of me kinda want to see the "real treasure are the friends that we made in the way" as the payoff for this 20 years epic story

AlsoZ

Oct 29, 2017
You would be surprised at how many manga artists don't have an ending in mind when they start.
*cough*Kubo*cough*
Not only do most fresh manga artists (who aren't leaving the story to someone else) not know if their manga will even make it past a volume or two before getting axed, they also have to be able to extend the story to any length if success demands it, while having to deal with editors influencing decisions to make things more marketable. And all that while working on an inhumane schedule that barely leaves time for thinking about the story.

Oda's unprecedented success gives him a lot of leeway with the magazine.

jayu26

Oct 25, 2017
Evidently, not all manga writers/artists think about it or have one set in stone like Oda. And that's why the fact that his ending has not changed despite all these years and additions to the Mythology is refreshing.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Normally Oda's full of it when it comes to how long there is to go, but it does feel now that we're getting to endgame, so this is probably his first ever estimate that I believe.

Deleted member 2699

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That might be true starting out, but its clear that most long form fiction (TV, comics, anime, video games) are kinda just made up as they go along.

Horp

Nov 16, 2017
One piece is a cake, but you can only take one piece.
In that way it's recursive and breaks the reality.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That might be true starting out, but its clear that most long form fiction (TV, comics, anime, video games) are kind just made up as they go along.

the problem is that you have no idea how long it will last so you end up going to different places where your original ending doesn't really fit anymore.

barit

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
The latest volume released in Japan was 91. It's not ending anytime soon.
Along with Wano set to be a fairly long arc (it's something Oda wanted to do for years), there's still elements like Elbaf, the Void Century, the final Road Poneglyph, the truth of the World Government, the great war that Whitebeard foresaw before his death...

The series won't end when Luffy finds the treasure, that would just be the start of endgame.

Don't forget Blackbeard. He will probably get his own big arc and I guess he will be the final boss.

Deleted member 2699

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the problem is that you have no idea how long it will last so you end up going to different places where your original ending doesn't really fit anymore.
That's definitely part of it. Maybe a work becomes more popular than expected, and goes on for years longer than the creator intended. Maybe it gets canceled midway through and they are forced to cobble together an ending based off of half-finished story arcs. Maybe a minor character or plot point becomes unexpectedly popular, and the author changes elements of the story to put greater emphasis on those. Long-form story telling is incredibly hard to do as there are so many opportunities for things to go off the rails along the way.

That's what makes One Piece so impressive. It's been in publication for over 20 years, and while I'm sure changes have been made along the way it's clear that Oda has had a pretty consistent vision of where the story is going this entire time.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Come on. You (and anyone has been following these kind of statements from Oda for the past ten-ish years) should know it's intentionally vague, tongue-in-cheek, and underestimated.

Where the manga is right now, no way in hell can the story conclude in 2 years. That's laughable.

Yeah. OP feels like its barely past half-way to its conclusion. The more I read, the bigger the world seems to get and we still don't have anywhere near the full picture.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a time machine and Luffy becomes Gol.D.Roger. No it doesn't need to make sense, no it doesn't matter there would be a myriad of plot holes, yes it would be a satisfying ending to the series.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. OP feels like its barely past half-way to its conclusion. The more I read, the bigger the world seems to get and we still don't have anywhere near the full picture.
Nah, I feel like the story is just about the enter the final act. No way it's only 2 years left, but I could easily see 5 or so.

Chojin

Oct 26, 2017
I'm telling you its a swimsuit that lets Devil Fruit eaters swim. Its in the title.

Deleted member 46958

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
You know I've been meaning to get back to One Piece. I told myself I would when it ended.

However, I'm exhausted of shonen. Yet, I still feel it would be worth picking up where I left off. Can anyone vouch for the series' quality?

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know I've been meaning to get back to One Piece. I told myself I would when it ended.

However, I'm exhausted of shonen. Yet, I still feel it would be worth picking up where I left off. Can anyone vouch for the series' quality?
I think Vol 90, which isn't released outside of Japan yet, is arguably the best single volume in the series.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

i cant stop at the fact that you wrote "us writers"

i dont know why i found it so funny