• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
I'm on episode 50ish. So if I have 2 years to catch up....730 days.....about 1827492 episodes left to watch....I don't think I'm gonna make it in time.

JK-Money

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I literally started, I think if it is going to end soon Ill pick it up then knowing that its over and I dont have to play catch up and go at my own pace.

Joule

Nov 19, 2017
I'm on episode 50ish. So if I have 2 years to catch up....730 days.....about 1827492 episodes left to watch....I don't think I'm gonna make it in time.
Only watch up to Marineford (500 ish) then switch to the manga. Early on, the OP anime delivered about 2 chapters per episode. Now, they get through 7-8 pages of a chapter per episode. Absolutely abysmal.

EDIT:

Look at Dressrosa, lol:

L5rYcXP.png

In an ideal world it should be around 50 episodes

Last edited:

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Holy moly. Any clue why it slowed down so much? Did they catch up with manga or something?

Yes. They've had this issue since about ep 260. Around 290 is probably the worst, thought current anime is pretty close.

The issue is that there is an episode of the anime practically every week, while oda needs rest sometimes so there's not always a manga chapter every week. Plus you really need at least 1.5 manga chapters per episode. They try to compensate with filler arcs and padding out episodes, but it doesn't work well a lot of the time.

Joule

Nov 19, 2017
Holy moly. Any clue why it slowed down so much? Did they catch up with manga or something?
They get too close to the manga so they have to stretch out the episodes as much as they can. Here is an accurate representation of what you can expect from current One Piece anime:

Yes. They've had this issue since about ep 260. Around 290 is probably the worst, thought current anime is pretty close.

The issue is that there is an episode on the anime practically every week, while oda needs rest sometimes. Plus you really need at least 1.5 manga chapters per episode. They try to compensate with filler arcs and padding out episodes, but it doesn't work well a lot of the time.
The anime was pretty much 1 episode per chapter until after marineford

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The issue is that there is an episode of the anime practically every week, while oda needs rest sometimes so there's not always a manga chapter every week. Plus you really need at least 1.5 manga chapters per episode. They try to compensate with filler arcs and padding out episodes, but it doesn't work well a lot of the time.
1.5?
They need to make 3 chapters into one episode

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
You'll all still got another 10 years.

I'm still going with the final chapter being Luffy getting old and being executed the same way Roger did, ushering in another golden age.

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
They get too close to the manga so they have to stretch out the episodes as much as they can. Here is an accurate representation of what you can expect from current One Piece anime:

Only thing missing in that video are your constant flashbacks
Flashback of two episodes ago.

Seiez

Oct 29, 2017
I guess he has the perk of having the most successful manga of all time to be granted the ability to write how he wants the story to progress.

He has a very good world structure and things pay off years later. Most mangas are written very short sided.

Most artists don't have the ability to do how they envision. The publishing house has a lot of say about the general plot.

I remember a toriyama interview, in which he stated that he wrote from chapter to chapter and his editor had a lot of swaying power. This was the reason why we had basically three villains during the cell arc.

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Many Manga readers seem to be under the impression that authors "wing it" when it comes to writing their stories and are often impressed when authors do simple things like foreshadowing or show any sort of sign that their story has been planned in advance.

Toriyama didn't even have Android 17 and 18 in mind when he began the Android/Cell arc, nevermind Cell.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Likely one of the more reassuring things about One Piece is that Oda always mentions that hes had the ending in mind for a long time now. Some people could easily say some of the massive arcs nowadays are stalling for time but I believe Oda sees everything as a valuable part when it comes to expanding the world.

Zynn

Jan 5, 2018
I've been reading this for 15 years. It's like an old friend. I wonder how I will feel when it's finally over...

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Many Manga readers seem to be under the impression that authors "wing it" when it comes to writing their stories and are often impressed when authors do simple things like foreshadowing or show any sort of sign that their story has been planned in advance.

That's the thing though, you can still wing it, and know the ending. The emotional highs are usually the first things that come to you when writing a story. The journey is the really hard part about writing a story.

Oct 27, 2017
One piece is a devil fruit that gives you control over all other devil fruit users. Piece....of fruit. Luffy finds it but decides to destroy it instead of consuming it like the bad guy would

I actually haven't read one piece yet, just the first 3 chapters

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Is it true that MAJOR SPOILERS
Luffy and a lot of the main cast is currently dead?

I heard that for a friend and it kinda turned me off from actually reading the manga.

Slim

Banned
Sep 24, 2018
I'm glad Oda won't go for that friendship bs. As for the ending, it's probably 7-10 years left of the manga.

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017

I heard that for a friend and it kinda turned me off from actually reading the manga.
lol your friend is messing with you. And no, it's not a spoiler. The Strawhats are very alive.

The manga does feel like it's setting up pieces for the end, but it's definitely a ways out. I think even 5 years is a bit generous with how much they still need to address really.

Syntsui

Oct 25, 2017
Just over 100 chapters is less than 3 years of releases. I'm not mentally prepared for this.

TickleMeElbow

Oct 31, 2017
I saw that on TV.

My take away from it was that his house is incredibly dope. It's like a whimsical wonderland. Dude has a functioning mini train ride in one of the rooms lol.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

There's also the issue of Oda taking a regular break about once every four weeks for the past few years after he got hospitalized one time, so that messes with the anime's pacing even more. This could theoretically be solved with seasonal breaks or even filler arcs, but neither seems likely to happen anytime soon

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
These articles always baffle me. Like, why do they act like "knowing the ending in advance" is special, when it's literally one of the very first things us writers actually think about?

because battle shonens can inch forward one arc at a time. power creep is a hell of a drug.

their boat sank in the last chapter of an arc. it was just a melodramatic fakeout and they reunited lots of people almost immediately.there have been a couple permanent deaths across the run of the manga but no they didn't actually murder everyone in chapter 800

Kreed

The Negro Historian
Oct 25, 2017
That's the thing though, you can still wing it, and know the ending. The emotional highs are usually the first things that come to you when writing a story. The journey is the really hard part about writing a story.

Right, at a minimum as an author you have an "outline" of your story in regards to where it's going, even if it's just from having to pitch your story to a publisher to get published. Of course authors in manga "change" things, as ZealousD gave an example of here...

Toriyama didn't even have Android 17 and 18 in mind when he began the Android/Cell arc, nevermind Cell.

...whether it be from editor suggestions/etc... But the way some manga fans get impressed simply by things like introducing a character that was hinted at in previous books/comics in a series, it comes off as readers thinking authors don't plan anything at all/every story is written chapter to chapter and an author that does any form of planning is "amazing".

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Seems like we'll be reaching the endgame once Wano wraps up. It's gonna be a long endgame though.

crimzonflame

Oct 25, 2017
Considering Gol D Roger found the actual One Piece, I dont know why people thought it would be an actual physical treasure.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
because battle shonens can inch forward one arc at a time. power creep is a hell of a drug.

their boat sank in the last chapter of an arc. it was just a melodramatic fakeout and they reunited lots of people almost immediately.there have been a couple permanent deaths across the run of the manga but no they didn't actually murder everyone in chapter 800

The power levels mean nothing to where Oda wants to take the story though. "The One Piece is this, and Luffy finds it when he's old after a long journey and is, himself, a Pirate King" is an Ending that really doesn't need anything else behind it, other than him knowing the goal of his MC's journey.

Obviously things change along the way and the stuff gets more detailed, but that's not at all exclusive to what I've been saying.

cHaotix

Oct 25, 2017
No, I don't think they have ever meet.

Mangaka wise Oda is close too:
Kishimoto (Naruto), Toriyama (Dragon Ball) and Inoue (Slam Dunk, Vagabond)

There are others but these are the three he seemingly closest too.
Ah, add Miura and Togashi and you have the GOATS.
Maybe not Kishimoto though

I'm of the camp that we're still about 5+ years out. There's still so much more to cover, and then you factor in the monthly breaks plus Jump holidays, there's no way it wraps up in ~80 chapters. I expect another 250 chapters at a minimum to send it off at Oda's standard.