• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
No, I don't think they have ever meet.

Mangaka wise Oda is close too:
Kishimoto (Naruto), Toriyama (Dragon Ball) and Inoue (Slam Dunk, Vagabond)

There are others but these are the three he seemingly closest too.

What? Wasn't Mashima like an assistant or something to Oda?

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
The power levels mean nothing to where Oda wants to take the story though. "The One Piece is this, and Luffy finds it when he's old after a long journey and is, himself, a Pirate King" is an Ending that really doesn't need anything else behind it, other than him knowing the goal of his MC's journey.

Obviously things change along the way and the stuff gets more detailed, but that's not at all exclusive to what I've been saying.
ohhhh no i was thinking about how people like kubo could manage to flounder their way through a multi-year series without considering the ending.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Naruto becomes Hokage and has a kid!" is a pretty easy and obvious ending to pick though. For Bleach I agree, but Kubo isn't a writer, just someone who can draw cool pictures and thought he could drop a story.

I mean, yeah, but that's pretty basic.

The path to that ending and the details concerning it often change as the story evolves, so it's nice to hear a writer at this point has one mostly solidified. Nobody is shocked "Luffy gets One Piece" or whatever is already in Oda's mind.

What? Wasn't Mashima like an assistant or something to Oda?

2kHTTF3.png

No, Mashima never worked for Jump.

lupianwolf

Oct 27, 2017
Other than their introductions I hope Franky and Brook have an emotional arc in the series(which given their backstories they probably will). They just feel like they're there and haven't done much.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
ohhhh no i was thinking about how people like kubo could manage to flounder their way through a multi-year series without considering the ending.

Of course, exceptions make the rule.

I mean, yeah, but that's pretty basic.

The path to that ending and the details concerning it often change as the story evolves, so it's nice to hear a writer at this point has one mostly solidified. Nobody is shocked "Luffy gets One Piece" or whatever is already in Oda's mind.

Of course it's basic, it evolves during where you actually flesh out the story. But normally where it goes is one of the easiest and most helpful things to think of when you actually write a story.

Well...no, no it's not. Plenty of people start without an ending in mind.

Well, yeah, it's exactly that way. It's a basic writing trope that most writers know the beginning and ending to a journey.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
5-7 more years, that's it. After Wano, will probably be 2 more arcs, with 100 chapters each more or less, ending it likely on 1200. Blackbeard, Shanks and the Admirals will probably be key characters in the final arc, so they won't get their own.

Eh, Naoki Urasawa and Inio Asano are both way more talented both at writing and art. Oda just has 1 good shonen manga.

Also, Satoshi Mizukami

...maybe not on the art part tho.

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, that's not happening unless wano is the second from last arc, lol. Even if that is the case, whole cake island took almost two full years alone and I don't see why wano and the following arc would be that much shorter

Plus Luffy is nowhere near high enough on the food chain to be a credible candidate as Pirate King yet. The press may be calling him the Fifth Emperor, but considering how Kaidou just gave him the business and he doesn't actually command his "armada" he still has a ways to go.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
No way in hell this ends in 2-3 years, Wano is only getting started and considering WCI already lasted around or longer than that, and considering there are at least 1-2 major arcs before the final saga, which itself considering its going to tie together the whole OP is going to be the longest one yet, i really can't see this being any shorter than 6-7 years imo.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone predicting there being less than 10 years to go is mighty bold

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
Glad to know the treasure will actually be something, because I would've been angry if it was something lame like an ideology, lol.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
In the same article, Oda stated that the series would end with just over 100 volumes.. If that's true, I'd say we have 2 years~ to go.

Source
That means we are really dang close to the end. This coming from a guy that has been reading weekly since Thriller Bark, back in the mid-to-high 300s. I'm nowhere near ready for the thought that One Piece is ending.

OP
OP
Chrno

Chrno

Oct 25, 2017
That means we are really dang close to the end. This coming from a guy that has been reading weekly since Thriller Bark, back in the mid-to-high 300s. I'm nowhere near ready for the thought that One Piece is ending.

as a lot of people here mentioned, Oda is usually very tongue-in-cheek during interviews that include the remaining length of the series.

I bet we have at least another 4-5 years to go.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
These articles always baffle me. Like, why do they act like "knowing the ending in advance" is special, when it's literally one of the very first things us writers actually think about?
It's not necessarily standard for manga, especially considering it's weekly or monthly and there's no real guarantee the work will be popular enough to last or even get picked up. At best, they have a path, plan, and ending in mind, but it's more than likely that at most they have a concept they can use as a guiding point towards an end game.

Furisu

Poutine on the Ritz
Dec 5, 2018
One Piece is probably going to outlive most of WSJ current lineup.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
It's not necessarily standard for manga, especially considering it's weekly or monthly and there's no real guarantee the work will be popular enough to last or even get picked up. At best, they have a path, plan, and ending in mind, but it's more than likely that at most they have a concept they can use as a guiding point towards an end game.

Well, granted, it's more a thing for storyline manga, and not Shounen Manga, still nothing I'd ever feign any surprise for.

sappyday

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like there needs to be two major arcs and maybe one small arc after Wano. I predict the series ending in 2027.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Yea it's been pretty clear these last few years that One Piece has started entering the end game. I've made my thoughts clear on the matter in the One Piece OT as to what I think is going to happen after Wano. So I just gotta wonder if we will get two more big arcs. Or one big arc and a few smaller ones to end the story.

Oct 25, 2017
I stopped watching a little way into when they are on that stupid elephant.
This story going anywhere? Honestly, this thing is getting so predictable.
Luffy saves another community from some asshole.
I feel like skipping these arcs to just get to the point between arcs. It seems like that's the only place where actual story happens.

Also doesn't help I've been spoiled by good animating anime lately.

I feel like skipping these arcs to just get to the point between arcs. It seems like that's the only place where actual story happens.

Read the manga, and get to WCI

Techno

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Don't worry, Luffy about to get bodied soon.

psynergyadept

Oct 26, 2017
Can you imagine if the ending was "The treasure was the journey" bullshit? Would instantly be riots in the streets!!!

Machine Law

Oct 26, 2017
It will not end soon. The lore he has built with this series is amazing and there's a lot we have heard about and still not seen.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
Fuji TV went on to ask how the artist would react if a fan were to correctly guess the ending he's got in mind. Stubborn, Oda said he would have to change his ending if that were to happen, so it seems he is confident that no one will figure out where the Straw Hats will end up.
Jeph Loeb is that you?

KingM

Oct 28, 2017

Yes, if you were to refer to villains as bosses in a video game Luffy will be fighting the 3rd or 4th from the end this arc u less some new world power gets introduced. And the animes pace is terrible.

Monkey D.

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I love his attitude towards the One Piece being friendship or some other bullshit.

No, It's a fucking treasure!
Luffy doesnt care for money.

I think the treasure will be something different for everybody. Luffy will be pirate king. Sanji will have all the fish etc from all the seas to cook. Zorro will be the best sword fighter etc.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Luffy doesnt care for money.

I think the treasure will be something different for everybody. Luffy will be pirate king. Sanji will have all the fish etc from all the seas to cook. Zorro will be the best sword fighter etc.

This sounding mighty Wizards of Oz like

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
It might not be a treasure in the sense of monetary value but it'll have some type of value. We can confirm the One Piece is an object in the very least.