• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
"Another shitty open world"?

Where did I miss that they showed off what the open world was gonna be like in this game?

How do people already know it's gonna suck?

I don't enjoy open worlds as a general rule. There are very, very few exceptions (Spider-Man, Just Cause 2, MGSV) to that rule, and I don't think From will be able to join that very small list because what makes an open world enjoyable to me is the ability to either A) do incredibly stupid things in the world or B) traverse the world in non-standard and entertaining ways rather than riding a horse or car around ad nauseum.

Sid

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
"Another shitty open world"?

Where did I miss that they showed off what the open world was gonna be like in this game?

How do people already know it's gonna suck?
With every other AAA release being open world this gen and how most of those games ended up being so dull and boring as shit I think people have a pre conceived notion of it, which in Elden Ring's case is wrong IMO.

Last edited:

Wiibomb

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
when they say they are doing their take of open world I can only imagine something similar to Dark Souls, more like open area and not the western take of open world.

I don't see them doing a full blown open world.

Also at this point I feel gamescom is too soon for them showing it, now I'm thinking more TGS

Okapi

May 31, 2019
I also believe we'll get some gameplay at Gamescom/TGS but I thought there would be more E3 interviews then the 2-3 we had so far.

Res

Oct 25, 2017
Ign should have asked if there was multiplayer. It seems likely, but I'd still like confirmation

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
when they say they are doing their take of open world I can only imagine something similar to Dark Souls, more like open area and not the western take of open world.

I don't see them doing a full blown open world.

Also at this point I feel gamescom is too soon for them showing it, now I'm thinking more TGS

There's supposed to be horse riding so it's gonna be more open than Dark Souls. Doesn't have to be as open as most open worlds this gen though.

Wiibomb

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
didn't miyazaki already confirmed online multimplayer similar to DS on the interview? I thought I already read that from him.

There's supposed to be horse riding so it's gonna be more open than Dark Souls. Doesn't have to be as open as most open worlds this gen though.

I mean, we heard that sure but that could mean just a bigger firelink shrine lol. I'm not so sure even if the horse riding is confirmed.

Teuthex

May 31, 2019
Seeing the news about horse riding and the wide open world, I have been thinking that the Scotland/UK thing could be taken more literally: perhaps that is what the landscape looks like? Scotland is pretty cold and bleak looking, with dramatic sea cliffs and ruins rising from the landscape. In many ways, it resembles the quintessential fantasy landscape, but It also has qualities that are quite specific that more generalised 'fantasylands' lack.

naamloos-181.jpg

fingal-s-cave.jpg

ruins-in-the-scottish-borders.jpg

H3111205001_461.JPG

8087821803_3214a4dafa_b.jpg

38163710402_4a260f8cc0_b.jpg

Bonus Berserk/Scotland connection: the entrance to the cave of the Sea God seems to be inspired by Fingal's cave
images

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
I'm hoping for a very desolated open-world.

While traversing it you see some small ruins in the distance that don't appear meaningful, but you decide to go check on them anyway and among the rubble there are some stairs that lead underground and you think "I wonder where this will lead, probably a small basement or something"... and then there's a huge fucking structure underground and you are like oooooohhhhhhhh Elden Ring.

Lmao best post. Also you are basically describing Dark Souls 1.

Jellycrackers

Oct 25, 2017
Someone tried to recreate the trailer theme. Pretty good attempt

Not too bad, just makes me wish I had the free time to do that stuff again! I remade the first Halo 4 soundtrack reveal that was in the background of a vidoc back in the day. But nowadays I feel super guilty when I open up my DAW and don't work on something that could make me money!

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
Seeing the news about horse riding and the wide open world, I have been thinking that the Scotland/UK thing could be taken more literally: perhaps that is what the landscape looks like? Scotland is pretty cold and bleak looking, with dramatic sea cliffs and ruins rising from the landscape. In many ways, it resembles the quintessential fantasy landscape, but It also has qualities that are quite specific that more generalised 'fantasylands' lack.

naamloos-181.jpg

fingal-s-cave.jpg

H3111205001_461.JPG

Bonus Berserk/Scotland connection: the entrance to the cave of the Sea God seems to be inspired by Fingal's cave
images

Yessss that's exactly what I'm hoping for. Plus some druid inspired magic and/or class, but it seems more like knights and gods.

I've gotta go visit Scotland though. Added to the list.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
From reddit, one of those fanfics? It's a long one. Tons of info and ideas directly from this thread.

So I'm leaking it :

(Sorry for my rough english)
- Blending of mythologies (as always within FS) : Norse and Celtics inspired. Actually it leans more towards Norse for the characterisation of gods...
- The sunset scenery from the CGI trailer is directly inspired from the Ragnarok in Norse Mythology in which gods battle against Giants and Loki style opponent. It's a short version from the CGI intro of the game. Ring got shattered and pushed the world to an end, the Ragnarok, where most people died. Some gods remained and are fighting for the control of the world.
- The lancer is a Valkyrie, a Fenrir Knight that battles with wolves. Valkyries can mount wolves.
- Day and night cycle and weather (only rainy or sunny though...) play a role in your adventure, and can affect the player negatively. The Sun is more than ever worshipped and can be a threat. Some Kingdoms do not have a Weather system. They have a set weather like snow for example.
- The world is structured like Demon's Souls with the stones, but linked and open world. Each Kingdom has a different Rune stone. The ruler of the Kingdom draws its power from it. Imagine Shadow of Colussus type of open world, but larger with point of interest scattered through the world.
- Lots of archeology through a procedurally generated caves and underground mines.
- Some Rune stones are fragmented within the world. Those fragments are usually held by powerfull ennemies or hidden. They grant bonuses when equipped.
- Prepare yourself to see a LOT of the initial ideas from Dark Souls 3 implemented here. Sunburn, solar and moon eclipses. The game uses the light system and day/night cycle to reveal hidden entrance (a bit like in Indiana Jones).
- Giant Snake from Sekiro was only an appetizer here.
- Lots of gameplay elements seen in Sekiro reused : Diving, hiding, jumping. Though not as developped as in Sekiro. No grapple. Expect sea, lakes and rivers. Even underground.
- Havok used in puzzles.
- Class system is more proeminent than before. Depending on your starting class and race, some paths might be more preferable than others. Each race have a special ability.
- Skill trees. Though still getting tweaked. Might use fragments of rune stone (speculating here)
- Herbs scattered throught the world, used as an item or to craft potions to enhance the player or reduce stats to the ennemy. Basically an alternative to magic for low INT classes.
- Gameplay feeling is variable depending on your attributes and race. But Souls used as a base.
- Weapons still have a moveset. Skills might be independant and would rely on weapon type. Still getting tweak.
- Selecting your race also select your Kingdom and the starting area.
- Online will be interesting, you can defend your Kingdom against other players invading it. Much more seamless, no indication from the interface.
- World tendency, more like Kingdom tendency. Each time a player is defeating the ruler of your Kingdom, it goes toward "bad" tendency. I say "Bad" as it is not black or white. the Kingdom and its ruler just become less powerful. You can empower your Kingdom by beating other Kingdom ruler (which give you access to their Stone Rune), or by finding fragmented runes in caves and mines (less powerful). You can of course accept to betray your Kingdom and ally with another. Needs an offering.
- Offering limbs like in the trailer. War is actually ritualised and worshipped. So the defeated ennemies become sacrifices. You get a limb from players defeated which you can offer to your god/ruler.

Eh, getting tired here. Maybe more later.
Reddit

Baloota

May 12, 2018
Egypt
From reddit, one of those fanfics? It's a long one. Tons of info and ideas directly from this thread.
Reddit

World tendency, more like Kingdom tendency. Each time a player is defeating the ruler of your Kingdom, it goes toward "bad" tendency. I say "Bad" as it is not black or white. the Kingdom and its ruler just become less powerful. You can empower your Kingdom by beating other Kingdom ruler (which give you access to their Stone Rune), or by finding fragmented runes in caves and mines (less powerful). You can of course accept to betray your Kingdom and ally with another. Needs an offering.
I want this.

serdarkny

Nov 10, 2018
I think he shut down the rumors saying that it's completely norse mythos. I don't think we should completely rule it out it could still have elements from it. That leak sounds like it combined previous 4chan rumours with Omni's posts into a fanfic, I don't buy it yet.

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017

naamloos-181.jpg

fingal-s-cave.jpg

H3111205001_461.JPG

images

Just a quick post to say thanks for realising that Scotland is not just the Highlands and Islands - the third picture down of Melrose Abbey in the Scottish Borders made me a very happy person. The only other time - I think - the Scottish Borders has been mentioned in games is that there's an area of GTA 5 called Hawick which is a small Scottish town in the Borders.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
Did press get a behind closed doors gameplay reveal this time?
Not that I know.

They were really banking on this reveal to thrive on the Miyazaki x Martin collab announcement, it seems. Shame about that part getting leaked. Imagine expecting a FROM game this E3 and after "Miyazaki" you get "Martin". Bam.

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
So the rumored pre E3 event by bamco was real in the end? If so, what was it? Code vein? Tales?

I hope they let at least the press play this at gamescom apart from showing gameplay or a gameplay trailer so we get info and impressions too, but yes, it's clear there's nothing more than speculation until then at the earliest.

Dec 1, 2017
Does anyone know what is going on with this IGN exclusive interview from E3? It seems like its broken up into really small snippets, each one ending with a request to tune in for more info later. Is it not all available in one place so I know that I've seen everything?

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
These "leaks" are getting really tiresome.
It's as though everyone thinks they can get a little bit of the limelight by calling their post a "leak" rather than simply "speculation".
That post above reads like a mish-mash of everything rumoured so far, with a little help from the minimal info gleamed from E3 interviews. And the worst thing is, they use that official info to promote their own bland, unimaginative ideas, working it in so it all seems organic and believable. It's pretty pathetic.

Seriously, these people need to stop trying so hard. All this name dropping and referencing existing mythology or Norse/Celtic folklore is so lame. From never dumps that stuff in their games as-is, and even if there was some inspiration, that sort of info would probably never make its way far enough down the food chain to be picked up by some bottom-feeding 4chan lurking staffer.

Basically, fuck off "leakers", whether you legitimately know something or not.
Just stfu and let the devs/pubs/games speak for themselves. No one will know who you are, or care about you, or give a shit about what you said once the game is out. So please just go away.

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
These "leaks" are getting really tiresome.
It's as though everyone thinks they can get a little bit of the limelight by calling their post a "leak" rather than simply "speculation".
That post above reads like a mish-mash of everything rumoured so far, with a little help from the minimal info gleamed from E3 interviews. And the worst thing is, they use that official info to promote their own bland, unimaginative ideas, working it in so it all seems organic and believable. It's pretty pathetic.

Seriously, these people need to stop trying so hard. All this name dropping and referencing existing mythology or Norse/Celtic folklore is so lame. From never dumps that stuff in their games as-is, and even if there was some inspiration, that sort of info would probably never make its way far enough down the food chain to be picked up by some bottom-feeding 4chan lurking staffer.

Basically, fuck off "leakers", whether you legitimately know something or not.
Just stfu and let the devs/pubs/games speak for themselves. No one will know who you are, or care about you, or give a shit about what you said once the game is out. So please just go away.
relax

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
That leak sounds like they took Omni's word spaghetti, all the posts from people trying to decipher it and then taking various other bits from all the other past leaks plus the Deracine tidbit to make it into one whole thing.

Nice touch on using past gameplay elements and sticking those in, it's what From do all the time but it would have been so easy to come up with crazy stuff sucker people in....and made the leak more interesting.

Not that I know.

They were really banking on this reveal to thrive on the Miyazaki x Martin collab announcement, it seems. Shame about that part getting leaked. Imagine expecting a FROM game this E3 and after "Miyazaki" you get "Martin". Bam.
Yeah. Thinking about it now, seeing those 2 suddenly come up in a E3 trailer reel would have blown everyone's collective minds.

On that note, I just realized why I (and so many other people) was disappointed at the reveal was we were expecting something more from the actual reveal after a week of teases leading up to the show but for From and Bamco, it would have been the first time we would have known about the game so in that sense just putting out a CG trailer first made more sense.

The expectation of hoping to see more than a CG trailer was not warranted, is what I mean to say.

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
I don't understand this idea that minds being blown in a conference (which is followed by a bunch of other trailers) offers better visibility for the game than a leak that was reported everywhere and came out with plenty of time in advance letting people fully process it. I feel like proper studies need to be done on this, I really can't see leaks as being a bad thing for the developer.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
I don't understand this idea that minds being blown in a conference (which is followed by a bunch of other trailers) offers better visibility for the game than a leak that was reported everywhere and came out with plenty of time in advance letting people fully process it. I feel like proper studies need to be done on this, I really can't see leaks as being a bad thing for the developer.

I guess the counter point would be cases where there is a lot of buzz/hype around a product that dissipates by the time the product actually arrives. If leaks are before a product is ready to be shown, it could lead to this happening. Mind you this is far from exclusive to leaks and happens with many non-leaked products so who knows.

amprainy

May 31, 2019
I sort of wish I hadn't known anything about the game before watching the trailer. Personally, I was a bit disappointed at the end of it since we didn't really get any concrete details other than confirmation of the actual collaboration, but that's partly on me since hype may have gotten the best of me and I was expecting more. Still a great reveal, but that name drop at the beginning would have made me legit shook if I hadn't known it was already happening.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.