• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Just watched the video by Vaati, he also hopes the combat is more like Sekiro than Souls and I can't disagree with that. It's hard to go back to Souls now.

By the way, do we know what engine they are on?

What would that mean, though? Forcing a reliance on parries at the expense of everything else?

I think a lot of the big Soulsborne youtubers are just on a contact high from Sekiro and don't realize how Sekiro's format wouldn't really lend itself well to a more RPG-oriented action game.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
What would that mean, though? Forcing a reliance on parries at the expense of everything else?

I think a lot of the big Soulsborne youtubers are just on a contact high from Sekiro and don't realize how Sekiro's format wouldn't really lend itself well to a more RPG-oriented action game.

Not sure what Vaati means with it, but I am mostly talking about the attacks. The smoothness of it all, how fast you use your sword, the dodging etc.

hideousarmor

May 9, 2019
I think the general idea is that in sekiro's combat system we had more actions avaliable to us on the fly, both offensive and defensive and some even adding a level functionality beyong just damage output, while in souls/bb you had infinite combinations of loadouts to choose from but they were all limited to 2-4 attack options and the usual roll/ movement

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
I just hope the 'posture' bar becomes the norm now,throw away the poise stat and replace it with that system.
Same about how the enemy's health is handled with the red points,i thought that was an excellent idea.

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
I just hope the 'posture' bar becomes the norm now,throw away the poise stat and replace it with that system.
Same about how the enemy's health is handled with the red points,i thought that was an excellent idea.
Gear should effect the bar though, it makes no sense for someone with high strength and heavy armor to stagger as easily as a magic user wearing cloth.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

Nah, the multiple health gauges thing is really not something I want to see leave Sekiro. Especially considering Sekiro didn't even stick to it that often after a while and started finding ways to "surprise" players with an extra gauge.

It was thematically appropriate there, but it would really not be beneficial in a more RPG-style game.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
Just watched the video by Vaati, he also hopes the combat is more like Sekiro than Souls and I can't disagree with that. It's hard to go back to Souls now.

By the way, do we know what engine they are on?

I feel the combat should be dynamic and play into what type of character you are building but maybe that's asking a lot. Playing a character wearing heavy armor with a greatsword should obviously not be able to traverse and swing the sword as fast as Sekiro. There's also magic users so they have to figure something out there.

I would actually love if there were set classes with unique move-sets and gameplay mechanics. I never felt the classes in Souls were interesting and what you picked really didn't matter in the end. It was obviously a design choice to give player as much freedom as possible but sacrificing the uniqueness of each class.

Playing as let say a Knight you are stripped of the ability to jump and move slower overall. Instead you can wield heavy greatswords and have a more sturdy and powerful horse or something.
c62e57dec708d22a75292a672d8e45bb.jpg

And then you have something like a Rogue where you have the ability to jump, dash and stealth past grunt mobs.
2e7525dce08dc22a4945b437ff075598.jpg

All of these set classes stats can of course be modified and their fashion customized but with some core gameplay elements unique to them like the jump or dash.

In the end they will probably stick with the souls formula of you creating a blank slate character and just let you go nuts.

As for the engine I'm almost certain it's the same engine used for Sekiro.

Last edited:

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Best case scenario for me is if the game have crazy weapons like we saw in Bloodborne and also parries that feel more satisfying than the shield ones in Souls games, making the enemies stagger so you can get a hit in instead of opening them up for a riposte/visceral attack, making the combat more fluid like in Sekiro.

I know they mention Dark Souls as being the most similar title to this new game, but I hope it doesn't feel too similar since Souls combat is probably my least favorite compared to Bloodborne and Sekiro.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
I feel the combat should be dynamic and play into what type of character you are building but maybe that's asking a lot. Playing a character wearing heavy armor with a greatsword should obviously not be able to traverse and swing the sword as fast as Sekiro. There's also magic users so they have to figure something out there.

I would actually love if there were set classes with unique move-sets and gameplay mechanics. I never felt the classes in Souls were interesting and what you picked really didn't matter in the end. It was obviously a design choice to give player as much freedom as possible but sacrificing the uniqueness of each class.

Playing as let say a Knight you are stripped of the ability to jump and move slower overall. But instead you can wield heavy greatswords and have a more sturdy and powerful horse or something.
c62e57dec708d22a75292a672d8e45bb.jpg

And then you have something like a Rogue where you have the ability to jump, dash and stealth past grunt mobs.
2e7525dce08dc22a4945b437ff075598.jpg

All of these set classes stats can of course be modified and their fashion customized but with some core gameplay elements unique to them like the jump or dash. In the end they will probably stick with the souls formula of you creating a blank slate character and just let you go nuts.

As for the engine I'm almost certain it's the same engine used for Sekiro.

I like those ideas actually. Where's the art from?

As for engine, I thought I had read somewhere it was UE4 but I'm probably thinking of a totally different game.

serdarkny

Nov 10, 2018
Since it's pretty likely that we will have great freedom in the order of areas/bosses we choose to tackle do you guys think the enemies will scale with your level? I wonder how they're going to do the balancing.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
Since it's pretty likely that we will have great freedom in the order of areas/bosses we choose to tackle do you guys think the enemies will scale with your level? I wonder how they're going to do the balancing.

I'm hoping enemies will spawn randomly, and as you level, different and more difficult enemies will appear. How many of an enemy in an area you defeat could also be a factor in enemy strength. It has always bothered me in the souls series that you can easily memorize exact enemy locations. Having more randomized placements would bring much more replayability to the game.

Oct 26, 2017
To start, could mean mounted combat.

Now I'm thinking about mounts what the hell, will there be different horses you can ride? Maybe it's like breath of the wild where they roam the landscape, so many questions...
Might mean ranged combat is more integral.

Both good guesses. Someone on reddit also mentioned to me Breath of the Wild in the sense that there are different ways to tackle enemies from different directions. I gotta play that game.

Art are just random grabs from Google. They used UE4 for their VR game Déraciné. I would be pleasantly surprised if this was UE4 for such a big game.

The Italian journalist that commented on this game a while back mentioned it was not UE4, and that it might not be "fully" open world due to From engine's limitations.

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
Both good guesses. Someone on reddit also mentioned to me Breath of the Wild in the sense that there are different ways to tackle enemies from different directions. I gotta play that game.

The Italian journalist that commented on this game a while back mentioned it was not UE4, and that it might not be "fully" open world due to From engine's limitations.

I thought the codename for Bloodborne was Project Beast

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure how I feel about the classes being more static instead of you being whatever you want based on gear and stats.

I feel like one set of abilities will end up being inherently superior and making all the others useless.

How many people nowadays even waste their time with mid and fat rolls in DS1? We just remove pieces of armor until we have enough Equip Load for our desired fashion souls set. If playing as Rogue is the only way to have the fastest rolls, all the other classes become immediately useless, as far as I'm concerned.

PVP would also influence the balancing decisions, so the Knight could end up even slower and more of a pain in the ass to traverse the world for PVE if in a 1-on-1 situation against other players that class is still a bit too fast for its shortcomings.

Res

Oct 25, 2017
No, seems Miyazaki is just giving some interviews with a few details about the game.

Hopefully at Gamescom. Geoff Keighley has a new show on August 19 to open things up, it would be cool if it were there with a gameplay trailer (and then a stage demo).

Huh, details do seem a little more scant compared to previous years. No release window, no in-game screenshots, and lack of closed doors showing which means no gameplay impressions. 2 months until gamescom

Oct 25, 2017

That seems like speculation on their part. If they were told about it years ago, I doubt they would have that kind of information. Maybe that was the idea at the start, but evolved during development. Though, I do suspect similarly, that the map will have a good bit of structure, while allowing you to go where you want.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Huh, details do seem a little more scant compared to previous years. No release window, no in-game screenshots, and lack of closed doors showing which means no gameplay impressions. 2 months until gamescom
Ehh I was under the impression the game is at least a year or two out and so they have nothing to show at this E3, not even a closed doors demo

KiLAM

Jan 25, 2018
Some more info about GRRM and Fromsoft collaboration-
-FromSoftware approached Martin for a meeting, but Miyazaki originally did not expect that Martin would be willing to meet him so easily.
"When we sat down together, it clicked right away. I proposed to make a game together, and he said yes. I was really surprised by how smoothly it all went."
-When they first met, Martin was already aware of Dark Souls.
-The collaboration started by Miyazaki explaining Elden Ring's main theme. With a mutual understanding of the game's concept, Miyazaki wrote the main story while Martin is responsible for the world's mythology. That means that in typical FromSoftware fashion, the player will be able to unravel Martin's backstory through fragments of environmental storytelling. Be sure to read all those item descriptions!
-Martin is not involved in the writing of Elden Ring's main story, because Miyazaki believes the format of video game could have limited the potential of his storytelling. According to Miyazaki, both the main story and Martin's lore are heavily influenced by each other

Link

Oct 25, 2017
-FromSoftware approached Martin for a meeting, but Miyazaki originally did not expect that Martin would be willing to meet him so easily.
"When we sat down together, it clicked right away. I proposed to make a game together, and he said yes. I was really surprised by how smoothly it all went."
-The collaboration started by Miyazaki explaining Elden Ring's main theme. With a mutual understanding of the game's concept, Miyazaki wrote the main story while Martin is responsible for the world's mythology. That means that in typical FromSoftware fashion, the player will be able to unravel Martin's backstory through fragments of environmental storytelling. Be sure to read all those item descriptions!
-Martin is not involved in the writing of Elden Ring's main story, because Miyazaki believes the format of video game could have limited the potential of his storytelling. According to Miyazaki, both the main story and Martin's lore are heavily influenced by each other

Link
GOAT potential right here.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
-With a mutual understanding of the game's concept, Miyazaki wrote the main story while Martin is responsible for the world's mythology. That means that in typical FromSoftware fashion, the player will be able to unravel Martin's backstory through fragments of environmental storytelling.
Link

Perfection. Nice to have confirmation he's getting back to his weird, abstract, minimalist style of storytelling. It's visual and atmospheric and leaves a deeper impression than 95% of video game storytelling does even though I probably won't pick up or connect all the intricate details the first time through.

Wiibomb

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I always had the thought sekiro wouldn't have DLC.

Not sure why, but even if I considered it part of the souls because of the many things it burrowed, I still think it was finished, there just nothing else they mentioned enough to make a DLC out of. May be, may be with tomoe, but still she's mentioned very few times and we already know her role.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
guys they just announced the official artworks for sekiro
Guess there wont be DLC after all...Unless they release something prior to august 2nd
Instabuy

Link
Sounds great.

Hokey

Oct 29, 2017
Fromsoft's games are so perfect for me that this collaboration has me kinda worried because as much as I liked GOT I really prefer the dark fantasy works/designs of From more than anything else in the world. The only saving grace for me atm is that even after working with Activision their vision was not diluted in any way so that gives me hope that this will follow suit.

Narco

Oct 27, 2017
Sekiro DLC would have been announced by now. Seems like the focus is on ER now.

It could have been like 2015 though:
- March : Bloodborne release.
- E3 : Dark Souls III announcement.
- TGS : Bloodborne DLC announcement.

But the official artworks releasing so early is not a good sign indeed.

Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Link

Ha, I find it kinda funny Martin actually knew what Dark Souls was. I kind of felt he'd have a Roger Ebert-esque view of videogames and thus would be unaware of the real gems.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
ELDEN RING IS CLOSER TO DARK SOULS THAN SEKIRO OR BLOODBORNE

- The narrative in Elden Ring will be told in the same way as Dark Souls known for it's vague stories and emphasis on environmental storytelling.

- The collaboration with Martin seems to indicate that Miyazaki is experimenting with the way he wants to tell stories in his games even more.

- With a vast open world environment, Miyazaki believes that exploration in Elden Ring will be more extensive than before, which creates opportunity for deeper story development.

- Miyazaki does believe that both the world and NPCs in Elden Ring have more appeal than in his previous works.

- Since the main character is customizable by the player, Elden Ring's story will be more about the world setting rather than depicting the journey of the main character as an individual.

- While the main character has no distinct personality, Miyazaki and his team have learned to create more relatable, deep NPC characters after working on Sekiro and Déraciné. Moreover, Miyazaki mentions that the world's mythology conceived by Martin has naturally allowed for more dramatic characters.

- Gameplay-wise, Miyazaki describes his new game as a souls-like game in a more open environment.

Source: IGN

M O
A P
G U
N S
U
M

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
shaping up as a Dark Souls spiritual reboot, for lack of a better term.

which is a good thing, i want more Dark Souls but at the same time wanted the slate mostly swiped clean. guess i'm getting my wish

Slick Butter

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, coiled blade? Fire? Something rings a bell here...
visions of bonfire

shaping up as a Dark Souls spiritual reboot, for lack of a better term.

which is a good thing, i want more Dark Souls but at the same time wanted the slate mostly swiped clean. guess i'm getting my wish
that's what I've been thinking. I think there will be plenty of all-new stuff and lots of stuff based on mechanics and things they've learned from developing Bloodborne, and maybe some things from Sekiro, but I was thinking this will end up seeming like a re-imagining of Dark Souls in many places.

Slick Butter

Oct 25, 2017
Elden Ring is listed with Sekiro and Metal Wolf Chaos XD under 2019 on FROM's website.
I don't expect it this year at all, but if it did release this year I would be sooo soohappy, assuming it wasn't rushed out

Status
Not open for further replies.