• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
From reddit, one of those fanfics? It's a long one. Tons of info and ideas directly from this thread.

Reddit

th

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand this idea that minds being blown in a conference (which is followed by a bunch of other trailers) offers better visibility for the game than a leak that was reported everywhere and came out with plenty of time in advance letting people fully process it. I feel like proper studies need to be done on this, I really can't see leaks as being a bad thing for the developer.
Idk if that was directed at me but that was not the point I was making, at all.

Happi3st

Jun 3, 2019
The EldenRing has already been confirmed in an interview with Miyazaki to not be an actual ring and more a underlying concept (like hollowing), so this leak is pretty obviously fake if the leaker thinks the ring is an actual object. Also, from Omni's post hinting that the game will be underground and the trailer just straight up saying that the sky burns you, I doubt there's a meaningful weather cycle or any real outside elements.

Oct 29, 2017
These "leaks" are getting really tiresome.
It's as though everyone thinks they can get a little bit of the limelight by calling their post a "leak" rather than simply "speculation".
That post above reads like a mish-mash of everything rumoured so far, with a little help from the minimal info gleamed from E3 interviews. And the worst thing is, they use that official info to promote their own bland, unimaginative ideas, working it in so it all seems organic and believable. It's pretty pathetic.

Seriously, these people need to stop trying so hard. All this name dropping and referencing existing mythology or Norse/Celtic folklore is so lame. From never dumps that stuff in their games as-is, and even if there was some inspiration, that sort of info would probably never make its way far enough down the food chain to be picked up by some bottom-feeding 4chan lurking staffer.

Basically, fuck off "leakers", whether you legitimately know something or not.
Just stfu and let the devs/pubs/games speak for themselves. No one will know who you are, or care about you, or give a shit about what you said once the game is out. So please just go away.

Take a break from the internet, please. For your own sake.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
Just going by google translate, horse riding gets mentioned again. And Sekiro's NPCs being more fleshed out characters to interact with will also be reflected in elden ring. He'd rather let the Myth that Martin wrote be experienced through the game than release what he wrote as a novel but it's undecided yet. Since there is so much stuff From and Miyazaki are writting themselves to allude and hint at the myth, i don't think the novel will ever get out in public.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
Here is a low effort attempt with some of it. Hopefully the translated version releases soon.

- Elden Ring is developed in a game field that is much larger than previous titles and some gameplay aspects will change naturally as a result of that.

- In addition to the complex and interconnected dungeons there is an open field between these points of interest.

- There were three main reasons for going with a more open world approach.
1. To show the story and the world on a larger scale.
2. To increase the depth and feeling of exploration.
3. To make the battles more open.

- Horse is used for traversal and you can battle while riding it.

- With having wider areas, they hope to expand on the ways you can approach enemies/bosses. He name-dropped BotW and how the environment can be used to defeat enemies. Edit (unclear if it's the author of the article or Miyazaki name dropping BotW)

- Following the same structure of telling the lore as in Souls but on a bigger scale. There may be side quests that don't involve any type of battling.

- (unclear here) They are not including high populated towns and villages cause the game is already a big enough challenge for them to tackle. They are focusing on their strengths and high density towns isn't one of them. The game will stick to classic FROM levels (dungeons, ruins, castles).

- While they take inspiration from different open world games, this is FROM's own unique take on it. They are trying to be as authentic and original as possible without being too influenced by other works.

- Main story by Miyazaki.

Last edited:

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks Masagiwa !

I wonder how making the battles more open will work in the wider environments when the souls combat is pretty close, close quarters, with more reduced mobility than Sekiro and the hindrance of stamina to run a lot around enemies. Maybe it just refers to encounter design and approaching the same encounter from different paths.

keidakennedy

Nov 2, 2017
United Kingdom, England
Here is a low effort attempt with some of it. Hopefully the translated version releases soon.

- Elden Ring is developed in a game field that is much larger than previous titles and some gameplay aspects will change naturally as a result of that.

- In addition to the complex and interconnected dungeons there is an open field between these points of interest.

- With having wider areas, they hope to expand on the ways you can approach enemies/bosses. He name-dropped BotW and how the environment can be used to defeat enemies.

- Following the same structure of telling the lore as in Souls but on a bigger scale. There may be side quests that don't involve any type of battling.

- (unclear here) They are not including high populated towns and villages cause the game is already a big enough challenge for them to tackle. They are focusing on their strengths and high density towns isn't one of them. The game will stick to classic FROM levels (dungeons, ruins, castles).

- While they take inspiration from different open world games, this is FROM's own unique take on it. They are trying to be as authentic and original as possible without being too influenced by other works.

All of this sounds super exciting! I can't wait!
Really interested to see what the horse combat will be like, as not a lot of games nail it.

Oghuz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

- With having wider areas, they hope to expand on the ways you can approach enemies/bosses. He name-dropped BotW and how the environment can be used to defeat enemies.

I'm loving the sound of all of this. This gonna be good :)

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
Thanks Masagiwa !

I wonder how making the battles more open will work in the wider environments when the souls combat is pretty close, close quarters, with more reduced mobility than Sekiro and the hindrance of stamina to run a lot around enemies. Maybe it just refers to encounter design and approaching the same encounter from different paths.

It sounds like they are accounting for this when he mentions that changes will come naturally due to it being more open.

I'm thinking the game will have combat scenarios both in tight small corridors and rooms (in ruins, dungeons, castles) while the open field is maybe where you fight the bigger enemies, especially if you can battle while mounted.

Respawn

Dec 5, 2017

I like the sound of this. Thanks!

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
First thing about this game that I'm not so sure about. Personally not a fan of this kind of systemic approach to combat of BOTW and MGSV.

Yeah don't quote me on that part. Google translate make it sound like it's more how you approach each encounter differently just like Adryuu mentioned. Japanese to English translations can be messed up easily. Waiting for the English version.

Here is that part in google translate.
As an example of the change to the game due to the map becoming wider, "ELDEN RING" can be moved by riding on a horse, and incorporates action and battle while riding. Although "DRAK SOULS" where it is important to move around in a narrow area, the range of tactics will be greatly expanded in a wide area even with similar systems, and many new situations will emerge. Following the basics of 3D Zelda's battle system, "The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild" has also made possible various tactics, such as using the environment and attracting enemies, as it has become open world. In "ELDEN RING", I hope that Seoul-like gameplay will achieve the same kind of evolution.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah don't quote me on that part. Google translate make it sound like it's more how you approach each encounter differently just like Adryuu mentioned. Japanese to English translations can be messed up easily. Waiting for the English version.

It does sound less worrying to me. Feels like they want to expand approaches while still keeping the same formula. We'll see.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

...This game's gonna fuck me up isn't it

convo

Oct 25, 2017

Is the Zelda quote from Miyazaki himself or the author of the article? It doesn't come through in the google translate. Like a editorial remark about a recent japanese game that went open world.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
Wonder how long they intend the game to be. The other games are 50+ hours so I can especially understand why they don't feel the need to start crafting whole towns also when the game is going to be even bigger. Which is fine with me, give me that pure dungeon crawling and exploration goodness.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX

this is hype

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
Is the Zelda quote from Miyazaki himself or the author of the article? It doesn't come through in the google translate. Like a editorial remark about a recent japanese game that went open world.

I don't know. That's a pretty vital part as well. Is it Miyazaki hoping that the game will evolve in that way or the author of the article?

We can at least take away from the part above it that he want's some of the battles to be more open.
Miyazaki said that there were three main aims as the reason for adopting a large field. To show the story and the world on a larger scale, to increase freedom and depth of search, and to make the battle more open.

GameShrink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

- With having wider areas, they hope to expand on the ways you can approach enemies/bosses. He name-dropped BotW and how the environment can be used to defeat enemies. Edit (unclear if it's the author of the article or Miyazaki name dropping BotW)

This all sounds great. I especially like the part about From playing to their strengths and not feeling pressure to incorporate every typical open world feature.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

Barf.

This is a shame. I wouldn't expect some kind of mega-city, but at least one or two settlements that aren't completely drained of life would be nice to see. Maybe next gen.

Muntaner

May 12, 2018
I'm curious to know if they dropped their usual engine (Dark Souls franchise, Sekiro) and tried to do a big-ass game with UE or something.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
There's a ton of Martin stuff in there that I'm not even going to attempt translating. I don't want to butcher it.

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds mighty fine. The end of this gen is gonna be fire with this, Cyberpunk, Death Stranding, TLoU2, WD Legion, DOOM Eternal and Control.

But this is my most wanted game by far.

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
(unclear here) They are not including high populated towns and villages cause the game is already a big enough challenge for them to tackle. They are focusing on their strengths and high density towns isn't one of them. The game will stick to classic FROM levels (dungeons, ruins, castles).
I respect them for being honest.

Spaceroast

Oct 30, 2017
This is really doing things with my imagination right now. Picture a current gen, FROMsoft take on a Shadow of the Colossus style barren, desolate, ruined open world setting. That's something that's not done often enough, and it's not easy to really nail that atmosphere; yet I feel like these guys are the absolute best fit to create it and I can't wait to see what they do.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
This is really doing things with my imagination right now. Picture a current gen, FROMsoft take on a Shadow of the Colossus style barren, desolate, ruined open world setting. That's something that's not done often enough, and it's not easy to really nail that atmosphere; yet I feel like these guys are the absolute best fit to create it and I can't wait to see what they do.

I feel like most open worlds are barren and desolate, though. That's kind of the defining feature of the genre...

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.

Mounted combat, called it, I wonder what he means by "using the environment"

Oct 25, 2017
It's already such an amazing feeling to see previous and future areas in the distance when exploring other places in Souls games, imagine seeing that shit getting closer in real time while traversing the overworld. That would be incredible, if that's how it actually works.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It's really hard nailing an open world game for sure. I don't mind them being a bit barren if they ooze atmosphere and if the traversal between points of interests isn't too bad.

It just really needs to be incredibly fast to get from place to place. Nothing makes a game lose any sense of fun like having to sit on a damn horse or in a car for five minutes between interesting things.

And I'll be blunt, there has never been satisfying horseback combat in any game. It's always...woof.

Rogue Agent

Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind empty spots in an open world where I can use them as a point to survey where I should go next. BOTW did this really well. I doubt if it'll be massive open world here, anyway. I'm more looking forward to the landmarks such as castles, caves, etc.

Tiggleton

Banned
Apr 25, 2019
This is a shame. I wouldn't expect some kind of mega-city, but at least one or two settlements that aren't completely drained of life would be nice to see. Maybe next gen.

A problem I've always had with Soulsborne is how unlived-in the worlds feel. As settings for video games they're awesome but its hard to get into all this lore when I can't imagine living there.
Was hoping this game would fix this. At least we get some towns.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
It just really needs to be incredibly fast to get from place to place. Nothing makes a game lose any sense of fun like having to sit on a damn horse or in a car for five minutes between interesting things.

And I'll be blunt, there has never been satisfying horseback combat in any game. It's always...woof.

It's a problem for me in some open world games that are just too damn big that you end up wanting to fast travel all the time.

I like the idea of jumping off your horse into a plunging attack kind of stuff. I just hope it's more than sitting on your horse and flailing around your sword or spear with R1.

I might be missing something but this interview had no mentions of online components (pvp, coop).

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
A problem I've always had with Soulsborne is how unlived-in the worlds feel. As settings for video games they're awesome but its hard to get into all this lore when I can't imagine living there.
Was hoping this game would fix this. At least we get some towns.

Yharnam was the closest I think From ever got to making their world feel like a place that actually exists and could have at one point supported life. I was at least hoping this game would feel more like an actual world and less like the husk of one, but I guess we'll see if they buck the trend.

It's a problem for me in some open world games that are just too damn big that you end up wanting to fast travel all the time.

I like the idea of jumping off your horse into a plunging attack kind of stuff. I just hope it's more than sitting on your horse and flailing around your sword or spear with R1.

I might be missing something but this interview had no mentions of online components (pvp, coop).

Yup. I'm okay with long rides if there's a thematic or narrative reason for it (RDR2 does this a couple of times) but oftentimes if I want to go do a thing I don't want five to ten minutes of horseback riding getting in the way of me doing that thing. RDR2 also does that a couple of times and it was maddening.

Status
Not open for further replies.