• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hideousarmor

May 9, 2019
Exciting news, cant wait for the final translation!

To me the BOTW reference makes a lot of sense and I could see it being directly referenced by miyazaki.
Considering both this and how Omni talked about how he "couldnt wait to see what kind of crazy/fun things people would do with the new systems", it really males me think we'll get some simulation systems similar to those in botw

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That interview essentially gave us nothing new but horse riding combat and then just rehashed a lot of the other stuff weve gotten. Womp.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
"Personally, a world that is happy and bright is something that just doesn't feel realistic to me. It may sound like I have a trauma or something."
Lmao

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Here it is, the English version.

https://nordic.ign.com/bloodborne/2...-evolution-of-dark-souls-says-creator-e3-2019

BotW references were the author's not Miyazaki's words it seems.

The Martin part is interesting, now we know exactly what kind of involvement he had with this project. Sounds really cool.

Instead of creating Elden Ring's main story, Martin wrote about a time long before the era the player actually explores.
(...)
"The player will be able to learn about Martin's mythology through exploration,"

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
The Martin part is interesting, now we know exactly what kind of involvement he had with this project. Sounds really cool.
Reminds me of how Michael Kirkbride chose to focus on the creation story while working on Morrowind, and that ended up being one of the most appealing, if not the most appealing, aspects of the series.

Wiibomb

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't get hyped on the BotW quote... it might get the wrong idea on people, From is mainly focused on telling stories, the zelda team on making gameplay.

I feel they have vastly different approches to games

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
I wouldn't get hyped on the BotW quote... it might get the wrong idea on people, From is mainly focused on telling stories, the zelda team on making gameplay.

It's actually really hard to tell even in the English version but the BotW qoute is from the person who wrote the article rather than Miyazaki.

Fullmetallad

Jun 1, 2019
Nice to see from the interview ''Miyazaki compared the mythology that Martin wrote for Elden Ring to that of the dungeon master's handbook in a tabletop RPG.'' echoing what Omni has said to us.

Oct 25, 2017
Here it is, the English version.

https://nordic.ign.com/bloodborne/2...-evolution-of-dark-souls-says-creator-e3-2019

BotW references were the author's not Miyazaki's words it seems.
Great read as usual! I love reading this man talking about his games. <3

That's not very accurate at all. Story usually comes last in their development process, and this interview further reiterates that with Miyazaki saying he didn't want to create a storydriven game, and that was one of the motivations to having Martin working on the mythology instead, so he can keep his style of storytelling that doesn't get in the way of gameplay while still using Martin's writing.

amprainy

May 31, 2019
Very exciting interview and really tells us the essence of what the game is about. Excited for Miyazaki for what seems to be a dream project for him, like his own Fighting Fantasy.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Im a little dissapointed with less of a traditional story and more hidden hidden lore of Dark Souls.

With George they could have created some funny , entertaining cutscenes, instead i won't expect much different than DS, personally i was hopping for a more balanced approach.

Everything else sounds great

Deleted member 2229

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
The novelization thing was what i was reffering to a couple weeks ago that I wasn't sure I could talk about. I understand the concern about revealing the secrets, but as a fan of both From and GRRM It would be nice to have that story in my collection as its own book and I'm sure there are other fans that feel the same way. So here's to hoping it makes it out there in some form.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
I wanted a few towns/cities here and there to make the world feel more alive and not the usual apocalyptic kind of scenario we've come to expect from them. It's a shame, but I understand them not wanting to add stuff like this when they're (seemingly) already doing plenty of things that are new to them and, potentially, game-changing.

I just hope the world isn't that fucked up even with the ring broken and the weird skies we saw in the CG trailer. As in, I'd like there to be some functioning kingdoms and the like even if we don't get to see them.

It seems like the trailer was a shortened version of the CG intro, right? I guess that might be the era Martin wrote about.

I wonder how different the game's setting will be (admittedly, we can't really make up much with regards to the environments in the teaser).

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
The novelization thing was what i was reffering to a couple weeks ago that I wasn't sure I could talk about. I understand the concern about revealing the secrets, but as a fan of both From and GRRM It would be nice to have that story in my collection as its own book and I'm sure there are other fans that feel the same way. So here's to hoping it makes it out there in some form.
Wait so could you clarify?

The mythology that GRRM wrote was going to be the basis for a new novel of his? Or did he create the mythology with From and afterwards consider making it a novel?

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
I would eat a book, but i get Miyazaki the plot was done for a game first and support it, actual story would be little compared to the backstory, and books full of backstory don't always make good books

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I would eat a book, but i get Miyazaki the plot was done for a game first and support it, actual story would be little compared to the backstory, and books full of backstory don't always make good books

Yeah. Lore is good when it supports an existing narrative. Lore on its own is rarely something worth reading for its own sake. I don't think Martin wrote a whole book and then let Miyazaki build a world out of that, he likely designed the world and came up with certain vignettes and story fragments that could be seeded within said world.

Deleted member 2229

Oct 25, 2017
Wait so could you clarify?

The mythology that GRRM wrote was going to be the basis for a new novel of his? Or did he create the mythology with From and afterwards consider making it a novel?
Neither, it's its own thing in collaberation with Fromsoft. What he wrote is essentially a short story, which is used as the basis for the mythology/lore. Im saying I would like said story to be released in some form. But Miyazaki has concerns about releasing it (as stated in the interview) because he's afraid of letting all the world's secrets out in a straightforward manner. Which I understand. But I think it would be cool for fans to own a book or physical version of said story regardless. Given that it was written by GRRM.

SpacyJa

Banned
May 18, 2019
"While for Elden Ring we are going back to Western fantasy, the game's themes are very different from our previous works, which means that beauty, justice, and strength will be different once again. That difference has a big impact on our games as a whole."

I wonder what does it mean in terms of the story. Will it be less dark than Souls and Bloodborne?

The tabletop thing in interview as well. Did your post refer to this?

Deleted member 3058

Oct 25, 2017
These "leaks" are getting really tiresome.
It's as though everyone thinks they can get a little bit of the limelight by calling their post a "leak" rather than simply "speculation".
That post above reads like a mish-mash of everything rumoured so far, with a little help from the minimal info gleamed from E3 interviews. And the worst thing is, they use that official info to promote their own bland, unimaginative ideas, working it in so it all seems organic and believable. It's pretty pathetic.

Seriously, these people need to stop trying so hard. All this name dropping and referencing existing mythology or Norse/Celtic folklore is so lame. From never dumps that stuff in their games as-is, and even if there was some inspiration, that sort of info would probably never make its way far enough down the food chain to be picked up by some bottom-feeding 4chan lurking staffer.

Basically, fuck off "leakers", whether you legitimately know something or not.
Just stfu and let the devs/pubs/games speak for themselves. No one will know who you are, or care about you, or give a shit about what you said once the game is out. So please just go away.
You have my axe.

Oct 25, 2017
My worry is less about secrets, but it killing some of the lore discussions that are so much fun in From games. Instead of presenting your thoughts and asking what does everyone think, you'll just look up what the Bible says to know it for sure.

Their whole storytelling method suddenly feels pointless if there's a compilation of facts to consult.

Wiibomb

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Neither, it's its own thing in collaberation with Fromsoft. What he wrote is essentially a short story, which is used as the basis for the mythology/lore. Im saying I would like said story to be released in some form. But Miyazaki has concerns about releasing it (as stated in the interview) because he's afraid of letting all the world's secrets out in a straightforward manner. Which I understand. But I think it would be cool for fans to own a book or physical version of said story regardless. Given that it was written by GRRM.

I get miyazaki..

one of the main reasons from games are so well regarded is how eveything in their narratives are told through the game itself and not a piece of paper and even more than that it's the mystic about specific details. We will never know the nameless king past name, and all the details of his fall are in obscurity, we never saw what lady maria saw back then when she decided to abandon her rakuyo , most of the things in the from games have to be implied by they gameplay elements and some item descriptions.

That paper could very well give away a lot of what it could make it special like Dark Souls. I suppose those papers are mostly about specific tales of the gods or something higher above the plane of the world of the player since GRRM wrote only the mythos, but even that might give too much away.

Wiibomb

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Great read as usual! I love reading this man talking about his games. <3

That's not very accurate at all. Story usually comes last in their development process, and this interview further reiterates that with Miyazaki saying he didn't want to create a storydriven game, and that was one of the motivations to having Martin working on the mythology instead, so he can keep his style of storytelling that doesn't get in the way of gameplay while still using Martin's writing.

what I meant is that From really focuses on telling something on everything they do on gameplay, every little detail in DS, BB and I even think sekiro, contributes to tell something, every item found decribes a little part of this enigmatic world, BotW just.... makes fun gameplay, really really fun gameplay, but they are not trying to tell any narrative when you use a shield for skateboarding. They have different approches.

Slick Butter

Oct 25, 2017
"While for Elden Ring we are going back to Western fantasy, the game's themes are very different from our previous works, which means that beauty, justice, and strength will be different once again. That difference has a big impact on our games as a whole."

I wonder what does it mean in terms of the story. Will it be less dark than Souls and Bloodborne?
I think the game will be quite dark like their previous projects, but maybe it will be more hopeful than the whole world-ending theme of despair and hopelessness that Souls had.

Oct 25, 2017
what I meant is that From really focuses on telling something on everything they do on gameplay, every little detail in DS, BB and I even think sekiro, contributes to tell something, every item found decribes a little part of this enigmatic world, BotW just.... makes fun gameplay, really really fun gameplay, but they are not trying to tell any narrative when you use a shield for skateboarding. They have different approches.
Ahh, I see. Yeah, you're completely right.

Mar 11, 2019
My worry is less about secrets, but it killing some of the lore discussions that are so much fun in From games. Instead of presenting your thoughts and asking what does everyone think, you'll just look up what the Bible says to know it for sure.

Their whole storytelling method suddenly feels pointless if there's a compilation of facts to consult.
Yes I agree, but I think that is also implied by Miyazaki with things being a secret or not being very clear with room for speculation (which is a fun part about their games), until further story/lore is discovered upon finding secrets or progressing through the story.

Oct 25, 2017

This makes no sense. From's games are highly gameplay driven with the storytelling never getting in the way of it.

Edit: nevermind, saw your explanation.

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
This is why I'm so excited for an open world. The way From presents their stories and narrative will make scouring every part of the world worth it. If you're big into the lore you'll have to take your time and explore if you ever want to get the full picture. And I'm down for that.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure I'm looking forward to the performance problems that will come from FromSoft making an open world game. Here's hoping they finally put some effort into fixing their engine. Do they understand how frame pacing works? FromSoft pls, you're so godlike at everything else!

Yog-Sothoth

Oct 1, 2018
So Martin's involvement is in lore and world building... which From already did masterfully?

I thought having Martín meant a story with character development, twists, etc. Not something From is already great at.

Oct 29, 2017
i am really excited for the exploration in this. Traversing a empty field and finding unexpected stuff, can't wait to see how they do all this.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
So Martin's involvement is in lore and world building... which From already did masterfully?

I thought having Martín meant a story with character development, twists, etc. Not something From is already great at.
Yeah, i was hlping for that too :^(

But still, we should wait to see more of the actual game before making any judgments, previous two From games were a bit weak on the lore maybe George will give Ring a good kick

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
Martin's lore and world-building obliterates anything by FromSoft.

Eh, I was never super impressed by Martin's writing. It's pretty straightforward high fantasy based on the history of the British isles and a "medieval times were gritty and stuff" bent. His world-building didn't seem particularly groundbreaking to me.

Last edited:

Deleted member 984

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Their lore is okay but nothing on what GRRM does. Layers on layers with books specifically on the lore. That's his strongest element as a writer.

Res

Oct 25, 2017
Martin's lore and world-building obliterates anything by FromSoft.

Imo in terms of video games, From is one of the top in terms of lore. It will be interesting to see how Martin's mythos will be carried over, and I do have confidence it will turn out fine seeing how excited Miyazaki is

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Eh, I was never super impressed by Martin's writing. It's pretty straightforward high fantasy based on the history of the British isles and a "medieval times were gritty and stuff" bent. His world-building didn't seem particularly groundbreaking to me.
Oh dear.
I refuse to believe that anyone who has read his books would say this, because it's beyond ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.