• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Eh, I was never super impressed by Martin's writing. It's pretty straightforward high fantasy based on the history of the British isles and a "medieval times were gritty and stuff" bent. His world-building didn't seem particularly groundbreaking to me.

Yeah...no, this really isn't the case. GAME OF THRONES (the TV show) boils it down to that for a TV audience, but the worldbuilding in the actual novels and supplemental books is absolutely phenomenal.

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
Oh dear.
I refuse to believe that anyone who has read his books would say this, because it's beyond ridiculous.

I've only read a portion of the books. He's certainly an accomplished novelist, I'm not denying that. But when people keep on comparing his world-building to that of Tolkien, I just don't see it. Where Tolkien invented an entirely alien world that felt thoroughly embedded in its own mythological and historical context, the world of ASOIAF is largely a transparent pastiche of Earth, with a mythos that builds on common fantasy tropes since Tolkien. His appeal seems to stem more from the political intrigue and characterizations and less from the lore itself.

Ladioss

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Eh, I was never super impressed by Martin's writing. It's pretty straightforward high fantasy based on the history of the British isles and a "medieval times were gritty and stuff" bent. His world-building didn't seem particularly groundbreaking to me.

Not just British - The Accursed Kings were a pretty big inspiration for him too, apparently.

As for the world-building, to each his or her own... but I would kill to see a From game based on settings such as Glorantha, Tekumel or Harn.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
People just listing authors and what they wish to exist is pretty pedantic. I also could be spouting how they should just throw that fantasy shit in the trash and just do Sci-fi games inspired by Blame! and other Tsutomu Nihei works.That is a waste of emotional energy, i am looking forward to what Miyazaki can dream up and Martin is simply an inspiration for him and his team. Then you have the genre lovers dunking on people as to what the actual high form of literature really is and that makes you sound as annoying as hardcore git gud folks except being elitist about books.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It looks to be a winning formula but people should not forget Kingdoms of Amalur was also written by R.A.Salvatore, and the story presented (though detailed) was nothing to write home about.

Of course this combo is literally x100 times better and experienced than that product, but let's wait and see if Martin chops elevates the gaming medium or too much reliance or overconfidence of their story genius could hog down the experience. I mean Bloodborne story presentation was amazing and I would be ok if it is in the same vein. Anything better and I am ready to have my mind blown.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
It looks to be a winning formula but people should not forget Kingdoms of Amalur was also written by R.A.Salvatore, and the story presented (though detailed) was nothing to write home about.

Of course this combo is literally x100 times better and experienced than that product, but let's wait and see if Martin chops elevates the gaming medium or too much reliance or overconfidence of their story genius could hog down the experience. I mean Bloodborne story presentation was amazing and I would be ok if it is in the same vein. Anything better and I am ready to have my mind blown.
Martin isn't gonna write the item descriptions or Character dialogue, he wrote the myth as the base of the world that happened long ago.
Instead of creating Elden Ring's main story, Martin wrote about a time long before the era the player actually explores. Miyazaki gave two reasons for why he wanted Martin to write Elden Ring's mythology, rather than the main story.

Askherserenity

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I've only read a portion of the books. He's certainly an accomplished novelist, I'm not denying that. But when people keep on comparing his world-building to that of Tolkien, I just don't see it. Where Tolkien invented an entirely alien world that felt thoroughly embedded in its own mythological and historical context, the world of ASOIAF is largely a transparent pastiche of Earth, with a mythos that builds on common fantasy tropes since Tolkien. His appeal seems to stem more from the political intrigue and characterizations and less from the lore itself.

Did you just read like...half of GoT? I'm not sure how anyone can say this.

Most of what makes ASoIaF IS the lore and it's fucking vast and in my opinion, really well done. You can get completely lost in that lore hole.

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
People just listing authors and what they wish to exist is pretty pedantic. I also could be spouting how they should just throw that fantasy shit in the trash and just do Sci-fi games inspired by Blame! and other Tsutomu Nihei works.That is a waste of emotional energy, i am looking forward to what Miyazaki can dream up and Martin is simply an inspiration for him and his team. Then you have the genre lovers dunking on people as to what the actual high form of literature really is and that makes you sound as annoying as hardcore git gud folks except being elitist about books.
Facts.
Did you just read like...half of GoT? I'm not sure how anyone can say this.

Most of what makes ASoIaF IS the lore and it's fucking vast and in my opinion, really well done. You can get completely lost in that lore hole.
Yeah I dont know how anyone can sit there and say ASoIAF lore isnt anything to write home about. I've only read the first book and skimmed a bunch of wiki shit and its pretty vast and very interesting stuff.

The simple fact that Miyazaki is beyond excited about what theyve created lets me know we're in for a treat.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Martin isn't gonna write the item descriptions or Character dialogue, he wrote the myth as the base of the world that happened long ago.
I am also obviously taking about the overarching background story, not the way that story is decided to be told (like with Bloodborne item description), but I am glad the present story will still be handled by Miyazaki. I am expecting the "insight" kind of genius with how they merged gameplay with the story if two big names are working on this.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
I am also obviously taking about the overarching background story, not the way that story is decided to be told (like with Bloodborne item description), but I am glad the present story will still be handled by Miyazaki. I am expecting the "insight" kind of genius with how they merged gameplay with the story if two big names are working on this.
The story beats and conclusion can be whatever they feel like without asking for permission on Martin's part, I believe they'll do what they think will be cool. Working out the inner workings of the myth itself can be done like any souls game except with more space to explore and finding stuff in.

Oct 25, 2017
Never read anything by GRRM, and only intend to read Fevre Dream because of Miyazaki's recommendation. I don't care how good he is or isn't, all I care about is that Miyazaki is a fan and thrilled to be working with him. This is all I need.

Can't fucking wait to see what an extra inspired Miyazaki is capable of.

Teuthex

May 31, 2019
I think that with a lore bible by GRRM, they will probably be able to have a more coherent mythos that can be pieced together without as many contradictions and vestigial dead ends as the lore of the Souls series, many of which I think come from the way the games were made. Miyazaki also sounds excited to essentially 'adapt' the lore that Martin wrote. He can focus on how the mystery presented, not what it actually is. GRRM will also have enjoyed working on it because it wasn't TWOW.

Never read anything by GRRM, and only intend to read Fevre Dream because of Miyazaki's recommendation. I don't care how good he is or isn't, all I care about is that Miyazaki is a fan and thrilled to be working with him. This is all I need.

Can't fucking wait to see what an extra inspired Miyazaki is capable of.

I also read it on Miyazaki's recommendation. It's a weird little tale and very different from his ASOIAF stuff. I quite liked it too which was nice, because while I will watch almost anything with Vampires in it, I am pickier about the vampire books I read. Too many hours wasted on Twilight after friend lent me them, lol.

Oct 25, 2017
I also read it on Miyazaki's recommendation. It's a weird little tale and very different from his ASOIAF stuff. I quite liked it too which was nice, because while I will watch almost anything with Vampires in it, I am pickier about the vampire books I read. Too many hours wasted on Twilight after friend lent me them, lol.
"weird little tale" sounds exactly like what Miyazaki would enjoy, hahaha.

Teuthex

May 31, 2019
"weird little tale" sounds exactly like what Miyazaki would enjoy, hahaha.
That, and I think he also has a thing for vampires and gothic horror going by Bloodborne, lol.

One of the things I have discovered from reading these recent interviews is that Miyazaki is often most inspired by media outside of gaming, which is a good thing. So many games I think reference mainly other games in their looks and their storytelling, with maybe an excursion into D&D for RPGs. Miyazaki seems inspired by books and graphic novels the way Kojima is inspired by cinema.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
"Storytelling in video games – at least the way we do it at FromSoftware – comes with a lot of restrictions for the writer. I didn't think it was a good idea to have Martin write within those restrictions. By having him write about a time the player isn't directly involved in, he is free to unleash his creativity in the way he likes. Furthermore, as FromSoftware we didn't want to create a more linear and storydriven experience for Elden Ring. Both issues could be solved by having Martin write about the world's history instead."

It's pretty amazing how well Miyazaki understands game development, game design, and the approach to storytelling in his medium.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
That loud horn at the end....we Call of Dutty now, boys.

Sounds so much different than the trailer. Almost feels like something a marching band would play or maybe even something from a WOW trailer.

hideousarmor

May 9, 2019
Game is coming early 2020 boys, thats a fact!!!
Love that the music feels way more dynamic in that teaser, esp compared to the more usual dark souls-y wall of sound approach that was present in the e3 trailer. Reminds me of how varied the music in sekiro felt. I hope here we get a healthy mix of both styles.
Having said that, i too find that horn at the end of the trailer a bit off lol

Last edited:

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
"Storytelling in video games – at least the way we do it at FromSoftware – comes with a lot of restrictions for the writer. I didn't think it was a good idea to have Martin write within those restrictions. By having him write about a time the player isn't directly involved in, he is free to unleash his creativity in the way he likes. Furthermore, as FromSoftware we didn't want to create a more linear and storydriven experience for Elden Ring. Both issues could be solved by having Martin write about the world's history instead."
It's pretty amazing how well Miyazaki understands game development, game design, and the approach to storytelling in his medium.

They should have just hired a famous painter or something to come up with concept art and design the overworld because I don't see how you take advantage of Martin's skills as a writer while silencing him and preventing him from using written or spoken word to convey that to you.

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Holy shit, get a grip.

I have one. How do you think Martin's writing talents will be put to use in this game? I mean, are we assuming that the game will feature something more than the very limited dialogue and item descriptions that we've seen in other Souls games? From the interviews we've heard it doesn't seem that way. Of course they also take advantage of environmental storytelling and while that has been cleverly implemented in the past, it's also gotten a bit stale as it went deeper into the Dark Souls series and it's also quite limited as a means of conveying something meaningful. Seems to me that this will be much more of a gradual iteration on the Dark Souls formula and Martin's involvement is more akin to Chris Avellone's involvement in the various projects his name has been attached to over the past few years. I guess I just have to adjust my expectations downward.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I have one. How do you think Martin's writing talents will be put to use in this game? I mean, are we assuming that the game will feature something more than the very limited dialogue and item descriptions that we've seen in other Souls games? From the interviews we've heard it doesn't seem that way. Of course they also take advantage of environmental storytelling and while that has been cleverly implemented in the past, it's also gotten a bit stale as it went deeper into the Dark Souls series and it's also quite limited as a means of conveying something meaningful. Seems to me that this will be much more of a gradual iteration on the Dark Souls formula and Martin's involvement is more akin to Chris Avellone's involvement in the various projects his name has been attached to over the past few years. I guess I just have to adjust my expectations downward.
None of that means they are "silencing" or "preventing" him.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
From the little I've seen of GoT, Martin excels at wortldbuilding and there's been previous discussion of some very interesting places in the GOT world. Ideas like those could very well be integrated into Elden Ring.

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
From the little I've seen of GoT, Martin excels at wortldbuilding and there's been previous discussion of some very interesting places in the GOT world. Ideas like those could very well be integrated into Elden Ring.

I mean, there are some really interesting places in the broader overworld of Song of Ice and Fire. Asshai is a super mysterious and interesting place for example, the Gods Eye is fascinating, there are plenty of other examples and George's writing is filled with countless potential prophecies, theories and explanations for different things and one of his greatest strengths is how he defies fantasy tropes in very unexpected ways. This is all born out in his writing though, and certainly as I said there are clever ways to either provoke more questions or answer them through environmental storytelling I just feel like his hands will be tied working in a lot of ways with From Software in how they choose to tell their stories.

Oct 26, 2017

They should have just hired a famous painter or something to come up with concept art and design the overworld because I don't see how you take advantage of Martin's skills as a writer while silencing him and preventing him from using written or spoken word to convey that to you.

My favourite part about this is that the thing you've quoted specifically said they didn't want to restrict his writing.

Status
Not open for further replies.