• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
Bloodborne, Dark Souls III and Sekiro all had their first public demo at Gamescom.

If Elden Ring is not there this time, I hope it will be at TGS at least (which is like 1 month later).
We had nothing but a teaser for Sekiro and then we had to wait for like 6 months until we saw actual gameplay. Dunno how it'll be for elden ring, but I'm not expecting to see anything until next year at least

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
This. It's much more predictable when you get something in game. This was 100% cgi
We had nothing but a teaser for Sekiro and then we had to wait for like 6 months until we saw actual gameplay. Dunno how it'll be for elden ring, but I'm not expecting to see anything until next year at least
Except the Sekiro teaser was ten seconds long and didn't even have the name. It's very bad comparison. This trailer was much longer, showed more, and gave the title. Dark Souls 3 was announced with the same format of trailer and we got gameplay two months later.

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully we'll see it in action in the next months, but everytime I see a CG trailer I don't expect the final product to be out anytime soon.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Hopefully we'll see it in action in the next months, but everytime I see a CG trailer I don't expect the final product to be out anytime soon.

It's just standard FROM PR. Same happened with Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3. CG Only trailer at E3, Gameplay at Gamescom.

Also probably a Network Test later this year if this has online.

What-ok

Dec 13, 2017
PDX OR
It's just standard FROM PR. Same happened with Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3. CG Only trailer at E3, Gameplay at Gamescom.

Also probably a Network Test later this year if this has online.
I think online is happening since this will be multiplayer or I think I read that it was.
I'm also hoping for anything news worthy by August Gamescon. (^=

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Again, this is the kind of mentality that gets everyone riled up and up in arms making petitions. Don't expect anything. Let the game come out when it's ready

I'm not expecting anything, I'm just saying what FROM always does. FROM always releases in March/April, due to their own reasons. I don't care if the game is late 2020 or 2021, I'm just saying what they have been doing since Dark Souls 2, because it's a hint on what they will do.

Deleted member 56752

Banned
May 15, 2019
I'm not expecting anything, I'm just saying what FROM always does. FROM always releases in March/April, due to their own reasons. I don't care if the game is late 2020 or 2021, I'm just saying what they have been doing since Dark Souls 2, because it's a hint on what they will do.
Ok. I'm sorry my man! Hype/expectations always worry me

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
Ahhh. I thought there was something new to discuss.....I guess not. 😥

Except the Sekiro teaser was ten seconds long and didn't even have the name. It's very bad comparison. This trailer was much longer, showed more, and gave the title. Dark Souls 3 was announced with the same format of trailer and we got gameplay two months later.
I seem to recall DS3 getting some kind of in game screen shot before any gameplay reveal. IIRC the game was leaked by some youtube place called The Know and images got leaked of the game but the actual gameplay reveal itself came much later, after E3.

All the footage was from the build that had sacrifice mechanic still WIP so idk if that counts but you could clearly see Outer Lothric Castle and Gundyr in a darkish room.

Idk if that counts as breaking the mould of Fromsoft release patterns but Elden ring follows Sekiro's more closely(minus a useless 3 sec tease ) than DS3. DS3 got something in game to leak which meant it was later along in development at least. Regardless, I think ER should be a lock for 2020 either way.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
So Martin's involvement is in lore and world building... which From already did masterfully?

I thought having Martín meant a story with character development, twists, etc. Not something From is already great at.
Martin's "involvement" is going to be minimal I assume. From probably sent him some notes to check.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Where are people getting it from that it's definitely releasing next year in March/April? You might be setting yourself up for disappointment.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
If they are going to do this game right, it should be a nextgen launch title, whenever that ends up being. Hamstring it to last gen is exactly why they had to pair back DS2.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Where are people getting it from that it's definitely releasing next year in March/April? You might be setting yourself up for disappointment.

No one is saying it's def releasing in March/April, just that it's what FROM has been doing since DS2, so it has the most chances to happen again.

If they are going to do this game right, it should be a nextgen launch title, whenever that ends up being. Hamstring it to last gen is exactly why they had to pair back DS2.

But it's already announced for PS4 and One. They'll may do a 60 fps next gen version like SOTFS but that's it.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
DS2 turned out like it did probably due to the development issues more than hardware, probably.

Besides, idk if From could have waited for the next gen specs to come in before starting work, could end up with the same situation as DS2 if they just took a shot in the dark and started work when no finalized specs where confirmed first. This game must be close to 2 years if not longer in development by now, idk if it was feasible for them to wait that long.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
DS2 turned out like it did probably due to the development issues more than hardware, probably.

Besides, idk if From could have waited for the next gen specs to come in before starting work, could end up with the same situation as DS2 if they just took a shot in the dark and started work when no finalized specs where confirmed first. This game must be close to 2 years if not longer in development by now, idk if it was feasible for them to wait that long.

Game started development in 2017, after DS3 DLC got finished.

JoJo'sDentCo

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Never read anything by GRRM, and only intend to read Fevre Dream because of Miyazaki's recommendation. I don't care how good he is or isn't, all I care about is that Miyazaki is a fan and thrilled to be working with him. This is all I need.

Can't fucking wait to see what an extra inspired Miyazaki is capable of.
The audio book has an excellent narrator if you like audio books. I just listened to it - my first GRRM book and it made me a true believer. I absolutely loved the book.

Axelon

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
Hello guys, I've been lurking for ages, and by ages I mean years. But since From games are very important to me and Elden Ring seems to be a real magnum opus (as Omni says) I decided to register an account. I'd like this thread to be more lively and while I know you are all seeking more actual news we all have speculation so far, at least until gamescom. But my two cents on this game are (imo, just speculation)
- It will release in the usual march/april window of next year
- Celtic/Finnish and bits of Norse vibes
- Trying to decipher Omni's hype bomb a bit more because I'm sure it hides more clues
- I'd like Omni to be more active here, I mean, granted he has his own life and stuff to do but here we are thirsty for more insight

Kismet

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
I tired of dark fantasy. That's why I haven't played Dark Souls 3 yet.

But I'm still interested in this one, if it's a bit more different than the Souls games..

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
I think an interview already confirmed that Martin did the general world background and lore and Miyazaki and co have done the game narrative in that world.

Seems like a good deal tbh.

Interview with Martin recently had him state he had "consulted" on a video game project during a trip. It didn't really sound like he was there long or that heavily involved really. He didn't say anything about writing but to just say he consulted sounds like he just gave some notes and discussed the world with FROM, I doubt he created the entire world lore.

Axelon

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
Interview with Martin recently had him state he had "consulted" on a video game project during a trip. It didn't really sound like he was there long or that heavily involved really. He didn't say anything about writing but to just say he consulted sounds like he just gave some notes and discussed the world with FROM, I doubt he created the entire world lore.
What I understood from the interviews is that he wrote the story prior to what is gonna happen in the game. This makes sense with Miyazaki saying they didn't want to give him a limiting work to do, so they preferred to give him something he could have more freedom to create, thus events previous to the present story, which coincides to lorebuilding I guess?

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
That was I think straight from his blog. Anyone that thinks GRRM wrote some long-form lore document is deluding themselves.

takriel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From really needs to stop that CGI reveal nonsense. You are a company best known for gameplay. Then why not do a gameplay reveal?

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
What I understood from the interviews is that he wrote the story prior to what is gonna happen in the game. This makes sense with Miyazaki saying they didn't want to give him a limiting work to do, so they preferred to give him something he could have more freedom to create, thus events previous to the present story, which coincides to lorebuilding I guess?

I imagine they had alot of design already in place, artwork and ideas, and had Martin come up with a basic background for the universe. But I don't expect much else than his world ideas for lore, I'm sure most of the writing is being done by From themselves while they get to slap on Martin's name all over the marketing.

Axelon

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
That was I think straight from his blog. Anyone that thinks GRRM wrote some long-form lore document is deluding themselves.
Have you read that they are considering publishing a book of what Martin wrote about this game, haven't you? Not saying you can't be right but I'm just reading the facts.
From really needs to stop that CGI reveal nonsense. You are a company best known for gameplay. Then why not do a gameplay reveal?
You totally have a point. What hyped me most was the music because I'm sure it will be in the actual game. Still if we had a gameplay we wouldn't be here talking how much we long for one at gamescom.

GameShrink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I've actually gone back and rewatched the CGI trailer a lot. I'm glad that From hints at their worlds and stories before showing gameplay.

It's very different from when military shooters or established franchises use CGI, because we already know what those games look and play like. With From, everything is for the sake of building atmosphere and mystery.

Deleted member 2229

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Omnipotent , why have you abandonned us?
1DA26D6CA688696920A887C0A768E6BCC95E5534

also yes I am busy in life and whatnot

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing to leak since even the stuff he leaked has not been validated yet cause we ended up getting nothing but a CG trailer. I doubt Omni is going to continue leaking stuff after the real reveal when Souls fans probably prefer to go in blind for the most part. Maybe drop some morsels here and there to whet appetites but nothing substantial I don't think.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
The rest is up to Bandai/FROM to reveal. Omni blessed us with the giant post and some legendary threads up to this point.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

The interpretation I got was that George wrote a short story that kind of set up the background lore for the setting and then Miyazaki and co. took that and used it as their initial lore bible to build the game world off of.

Whirlpool

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

There was a tweet from Jason Schreier where someone posted a list of potential games for 2020, and he said that from what he heard, all of them were coming first half of 2020. That, along with From Software's usual release windows around March makes it pretty likely.

But of course, things could always change.

Shit, Ninja'd.

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
It's almost a shame really, this could be From's best game yet and it has to compete with all of these heavy hitters.

ASilentProtagonist

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
It's almost a shame really, this could be From's best game yet and it has to compete with all of these heavy hitters.

I think the impact will be negligible at best. Fromsoftware is a big league dev at this point with a very passionate fanbase that will be there day 1 for their products. The return to Dark Fantasy, open world, ARPG, and GRRM, I wouldn't be shocked if Elden Ring breaks records for Fromsoftware, and surpasses Sekiro's fastest selling record for the company. Bandai Namco will probably push the marketing to maximum.

D9rbobxWkAA-rzU.jpg%3Alarge

2 million copies in 10 days for a new IP, action title with very little marketing from Activision pre-launch. https://www.pcgamesn.com/sekiro-shadows-die-twice/sekiro-steam-sales

Last edited:

Axelon

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
I don't think you have to worry. Sure stuff can get pushed but I think Elden Ring is targeting current gen with a possible DSII SotFS like re-release on next gen consoles.

UjPLamX.jpg
Nice to know, thanks.

People who really care will still buy it at launch. Casuls will follow. Maybe it won't have the best sales in the first couple of weeks but in the long run it could turn out to be one of the best hits of 2020.

Your journey is just beginning
And a very slow start it is then

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.