• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
It it just me who is fucking hype at the concept of From taking from all their past game experience and knowledge and putting it into this game??? i cant wait

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
They would be crazy to release this late 2020 unless its a cross-gen game. If this comes out in November as a PS5/XNext launch title then I can see that happening.

They released Dark Souls II when PS4 and Xbone were released on previous gen hardware. It's not so crazy they do it again, especially if the new platforms are cross-compatible with older ones.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
They released Dark Souls II when PS4 and Xbone were released on previous gen hardware. It's not so crazy they do it again, especially if the new platforms are cross-compatible with older ones.
You are absolutely right. I also forgot these new systems are supposed to be backwards compatible. God I rather it be a cross-gen game since you know they would just make a remastered version to take advantage of the newer hardware.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Omni, I've always appreciated your presence in these threads and you're a good guy.

It it just me who is fucking hype at the concept of From taking from all their past game experience and knowledge and putting it into this game??? i cant wait

Literally everything, including stuff like this, has me hyped to the moon about this game. I am "excited" as in "looking forward" to a number of games coming soon or next year, but by far, but this is the game I'm like, having emotions about. Souls games have created some of the most magical, impactful experiences in gaming to me, and FROM's best work is always the exciting new things they can do to build on what they've learned before.

Demon's Souls just showed this immense creativity and atmosphere that puts me in awe with great lore to back it up.

Dark Souls was a masterclass of world design, both thematic and technical, that some how managed to have great pacing without harming the freedom to explore the world at your own discretion.

And Bloodborne is just, I honestly don't know how to describe it. The presentation is on another level, probably helped by having that Sony money lol. The mastery with which it unravels its mystery and yet never quite tells you all the answers, keeping you on the hook while just inundating you with shockingly well designed, iconic enemies, locals, and bosses, and then just slathering you in probably the best music in a FROM SOFTWARE game, it's just. It's an experience I'd kill to relive. Ahh I love it.

And I haven't even gotten to Sekiro, but I imagine if I can get over the differences in how combat works, I'll probably love it very much as well. I've just had so much in gaming just completely take over lately.

Dec 26, 2017
Firelink Shrine
Omni, I've always appreciated your presence in these threads and you're a good guy.

Literally everything, including stuff like this, has me hyped to the moon about this game. I am "excited" as in "looking forward" to a number of games coming soon or next year, but by far, but this is the game I'm like, having emotions about. Souls games have created some of the most magical, impactful experiences in gaming to me, and FROM's best work is always the exciting new things they can do to build on what they've learned before.

Demon's Souls just showed this immense creativity and atmosphere that puts me in awe with great lore to back it up.

Dark Souls was a masterclass of world design, both thematic and technical, that some how managed to have great pacing without harming the freedom to explore the world at your own discretion.

And Bloodborne is just, I honestly don't know how to describe it. The presentation is on another level, probably helped by having that Sony money lol. The mastery with which it unravels its mystery and yet never quite tells you all the answers, keeping you on the hook while just inundating you with shockingly well designed, iconic enemies, locals, and bosses, and then just slathering you in probably the best music in a FROM SOFTWARE game, it's just. It's an experience I'd kill to relive. Ahh I love it.

And I haven't even gotten to Sekiro, but I imagine if I can get over the differences in how combat works, I'll probably love it very much as well. I've just had so much in gaming just completely take over lately.
Sekiro has the best combat in any FROM game.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
If you take the first letter from every sentence of Omni's message, there's a secret Elden Ring messa....... I kid, kid!

Seriously though, Omni is fab and it sucks some people can't just chill, never thought they'd be bothering him outside of this place too, sheesh.
We as fans want info now, now, now but I respect what he says about how developers view leaks.

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
Hey, Omni. I think you clearly get the worst part of all this. We may hunger for more info but at the end of the day the game is far away to some degree and we can't get new info every fucking day... But you had to decide to get far from discussion (not only about the game, but away from the whole community) so you have clearly lost a lot more than us... And it's partly our fault.

I've only interacted with you a bit in this thread and very little outside, but I think you're a wonderful poster overall and respect a lot your stance about how to be an insider who likes to have us engaged. I hope your issues with the community and your status get sorted out and you can get someday enough auto control to come back and discuss whatever, even if you stop hinting From games completely.

I don't even know if you'll read this but be well!

Now about the game, oh Elden Ring, I really hope we get to know more about you in two weeks time and that it means having a full media/info blowout because the game is coming in a matter of a few months. Otherwise, please stay silent until a couple months before release, kthxbye.

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
They not showing anything more for some time doesn't have to mean the game isn't ready soon. It wouldn't be the first time the marketing period for a game is short. And I hope for that, wether it starts now or in several months time. I'd like that for every game, in fact.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
Yup, not surprised. Remember a couple of people giving him shit for that long post he made in the leak thread cause he didn't come out and spell shit straight. I thought it was clever to do it like that; be super vague and flowery so that you don't get tripped up and reveal too much and also cover your ass at the same time.

Like always with these things, it's all fun and games until someone catches feelings. Hope Omni returns with a Vince McMahon style entrance when we finally get that Elden Ring blowout.

Omni walking back into Era in 2020:
FluffyIncompleteAmericanpainthorse-small.gif

They would be crazy to release this late 2020 unless its a cross-gen game. If this comes out in November as a PS5/XNext launch title then I can see that happening.
I could actually see them doing another Sony exclusive as their first true next gen game as a way to ease them into the next console cycle. Share the burden with someone else and slowly get themselves up to get ready for next gen.

Just a guess but I think if they are working on a rumoured Armored Core game then that's probably not gonna happen unless that too it somehow for current gen. At least not the first next gen Fromsoft game being an exclusive, they could still do one with Sony regardless.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
You are absolutely right. I also forgot these new systems are supposed to be backwards compatible. God I rather it be a cross-gen game since you know they would just make a remastered version to take advantage of the newer hardware.

There would probably be patches. I could easily see Elden Ring launching on PS4, X1 and PC at the same time as PS5 and Scarlett, and the PS4 and X1 versions would simply get 4K 60fps patches. There's your cross-gen, and I think it would be very successful.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
471771847092862996.png

He's gonna be back sooner.
I am the last person that wants a From exclusive, trust me. I have not even owned a console, nevermind a Sony console since the PS2 so if possible I want all their games to be multiplatform but Sony has some pull or leverage with From and From are happy to oblige from time to time so it won't be that crazy to me.

I guess deep down I am just trying to brace myself for that (in my mind) inevitable exclusive. Its just easier this way.

Deleted member 31133

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017

Yeah, this game has cross-gen written all over it. Just like DS2 got a re-release on the PS4 and XB1. If this is the case, then I'll be waiting for the PS5 version.

ASilentProtagonist

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017

Absolutely. I think this will be their next masterpiece.

"There are many definitions to the term "open world," and I might not be phrasing it correctly, but we have simply tried our own approach to a game with a large, open field to play in."

Miyazaki ignoring industry trends, and making the game he wants to make. Also making it clear that they are making a game that only Fromsoftware can truly make. Got a feeling we'll have multiple gameplay mechanics we've never seen before. Game is going to be a big deal.

D8qzJ7VUwAAC9LM.jpg%3Alarge

Jan 11, 2018

MickZan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Sekiro is amazing. It's a bit different but the DNA is there. For me From games are all about overcoming difficult challenges and this game has it all.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
I really hope this releases day one on next gen consoles. I don't care if it's a cross gen game with some added bells and whistles on next gen consoles but having a big hitter like this on your brand new console on day one is huge.

Zelda BotW releasing day one on the Switch was huge.
Halo releasing on the original Xbox on day one was huge.
Elden Ring on day one would be on the same scale as the two games above.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno.

Has switch gotten ports of dark souls 3 and Sekiro?
I think those are more likely before elden ring.
We'll see, but I don't see it happening.
Their console ports are pretty bad as is. DS a game from 2011 barely runs on the Switch. Elden Ring is said to be bigger and more complex than even Sekiro so yeah I'd doubt that's happening.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
I kinda hope From tackles a world that feels lived in, like a classical town? Where people go on about their daily lives.

Oct 25, 2017
Personally, I don't see the appeal, seems like just being different for the sake of being different.

I get the idea of seeing a lived in world for once, but what that means to the actual experience of playing the game, outside of just window dressing stuff, is that we now have either a bunch of meaningless fluff, or way too much shit to pay attention to and keep track of.

I rather enjoy the fewer but more meaningful encounters with NPCs, where almost every line is worth analyzing at least a little bit. Random NPCs doing random tasks and repeating lines only become memorable because of how often they repeat them, breaking the illusion. Lines in Souls become memorable because of the unique style of writing and acting, and how much thought we put into each line to understand more of the world.

Variety is good, of course, but I'm not convinced it would be worth it. I'd rather just play other games if I want to see a lived in world.

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
i for once love games that bring bleak and isolation for my feelings.

FromSoft are one of the best in this regard and i would not change at all hehe

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There is countless books and media where a society exists and you still can convey a sense of dread.
I'm talking videogames though. Creating atmosphere in a videogame isn't the same as in a book or movies. The only thing I can see is a town or city full of sick people that are all on the brink of insanity.
But even then, it's not the same thing.

I liked the approach of having some very unique NPCs like in Bloodborne or Souls games over what you are proposing.
It only makes sense that only few people survive in such a harsh environment, and it makes for better writing and interactions, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.