• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
Dishonored series does a good job of making really bleak atmosphere without removing people completely. They even do environmental story telling really well to sell the desperation in the people and their lives caused by the people that rule over them.

Wiibomb

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm so sad and angry about the Onmi situation, he is such a good person just judging from what I've see him post, really wished there was a way for him to post without getting harrased about inside info, but now there is no turning back. Hope you are well Onmi, put yourself always first in these situations.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
I booted up Sekiro again and... as long as this is nothing like Sekiro I am excited.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
If there's no trailer the TGAs then I don't know when is the next time we see it. E3?

PS5/Scarlett reveal might be a possibility, the games featured there will have a huge coverage. If not then yeah, we'll most likely have to wait for E3 rip ⚰

Personally, I don't see the appeal, seems like just being different for the sake of being different.

I get the idea of seeing a lived in world for once, but what that means to the actual experience of playing the game, outside of just window dressing stuff, is that we now have either a bunch of meaningless fluff, or way too much shit to pay attention to and keep track of.

I rather enjoy the fewer but more meaningful encounters with NPCs, where almost every line is worth analyzing at least a little bit. Random NPCs doing random tasks and repeating lines only become memorable because of how often they repeat them, breaking the illusion. Lines in Souls become memorable because of the unique style of writing and acting, and how much thought we put into each line to understand more of the world.

Variety is good, of course, but I'm not convinced it would be worth it. I'd rather just play other games if I want to see a lived in world.

This. The last thing I want in From games are meaningless npcs filling up the world.

ASilentProtagonist

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Throwback to this thread lol

Can I plz get a source on that artwork?! Its gorgeous

Kalen B

You just know there is going to be at least one dark fantasy city like Anor Londo we'll be able to fully explore in Elden Ring lol. Miyazaki loves his larger than life fantasy locations.

ce8c68c703fb4dfad8429438ba5874da.jpg
31f6cafe46bb00740a84b08c14943ac5.jpg

Omni seemed to hint at underground exploration as well. The Aos Sí - " A supernatural race, they are said to live underground in fairy mounds, or in an invisible world"

3e4f98a25f816d716dd8ffbd7b2603c3.jpg
DwqSqRMWkAIfD5H.jpg

Last edited:

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Block/deflect is life itself. I just hope were not fatrolling into eternity. Rolling needs to stop.

I don't mind having to block/deflect here and there, but I can barely "Tenchu" my way through these baddies in Sekiro. That's what I really hoped Sekiro was going to be like, but most if not all of this attacks are constantly blocked.

🙏

Rolling in all directions is so dumb.

You better run though, I can hear the rolling defense force coming.

Oh man, I recently saw this video among others where people get owned in ugly ways in Souls games. But so damn funny though.

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
🙏

Rolling in all directions is so dumb.

You better run though, I can hear the rolling defense force coming.

ctdOsda.gif

I mean I don't see the reason to take away mechanics when the other is there. I mean with no rolling you don't have the hilarity that is fat rolling or as that gif show death by roll, god I love this series.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I just want to say that I really enjoy Omni's posts here. I love that they are cryptic; it just makes the wait (and the hype) more fun, you know? And if making his posts cryptic allows him to stay out of legal trouble, as well as prevents official news channels from picking up what he shares are bumming out the devs who worked hard on the game, then I'm all for it!

Master_Funk

Oct 25, 2017
I love the movement and manoeuvrability in Sekiro so I hope they don't go back to the very limited movement options from earlier games. Please keep the jump button and something like the grappling and I'm good.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Dark souls world building and character build options, Sekiros fluid combat and traversal, Bloodbornes creepy atmosphere and weapon variety.

Jingo

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Elden ring was announced as a game for this generation right? Cause the next is right around the corner.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
Hope the combat is similar though. The slow methodical approach is outdated imo. They have shown with Bloodborne and Sekiro that fast paced fluid combat is what they excel at.
Gonna have to hit you with a negatory on that, partner. I still like my slow, heavy builds too much to give that up. Playing Nioh just proved to me that From are the only ones that can do that kind of gameplay justice while keeping combat relatively pacy. It just feels better when they do it.

Of course we don't know if "heavy" even exists in ER but I'd be bummed if we lost that.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I doubt very much there will be the grappling like Sekiro - that seems situational to the setting of being a ninja. But if there's horse riding then that means quicker traversal. From Soft have always been good with verticality in level design so I'm not worried about that, maybe climbing would be a welcome addition without the hookshot zipping about of Sekiro.

Ahh dreaming.... :)

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hope the combat is similar though. The slow methodical approach is outdated imo. They have shown with Bloodborne and Sekiro that fast paced fluid combat is what they excel at.
Block/deflect is life itself. I just hope were not fatrolling into eternity. Rolling needs to stop.

Yup I hate seeing those rolls after playing BB and Sekiro. And hoping ER doesn't go too deep in the weight management. The only aspect I truly hate in Souls, testing which armor to play on with such a punishing gameplay.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Yup I hate seeing those rolls after playing BB and Sekiro. And hoping ER doesn't go too deep in the weight management. The only aspect I truly hate in Souls, testing which armor to play on with such a punishing gameplay.
Seeing as how this is supposed to be their most rpg game yet I'm sure armor weight and shiel classes and so on will deffo be in.

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Personally, I don't see the appeal, seems like just being different for the sake of being different.

I get the idea of seeing a lived in world for once, but what that means to the actual experience of playing the game, outside of just window dressing stuff, is that we now have either a bunch of meaningless fluff, or way too much shit to pay attention to and keep track of.

I rather enjoy the fewer but more meaningful encounters with NPCs, where almost every line is worth analyzing at least a little bit. Random NPCs doing random tasks and repeating lines only become memorable because of how often they repeat them, breaking the illusion. Lines in Souls become memorable because of the unique style of writing and acting, and how much thought we put into each line to understand more of the world.

Variety is good, of course, but I'm not convinced it would be worth it. I'd rather just play other games if I want to see a lived in world.
I completely agree with this.

Slick Butter

Oct 25, 2017
I just hope there's real good variety in general. While I personally like it, I get what some are saying about not wanting more roly-poly Dark Souls combat. I want some real different ways to play, including fairly standard Souls combat. There should be viable options to be a deflecting jumping superquick ninja, a swordsman who's light on their feet, or a heavily armored knight with a greatshield, and some things in between, as well as more variety within whatever schools of magic they have. That's what I would want

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
I'm curious what the difficulty of this one will be like. From's games are all pretty hardcore skewing, but with George R. R. Martin attached and a dark fantasy setting, they may be going more mainstream given how big GoT is.

What do people think? Guaranteed, at least the hardest mode will rival From's most frustrating delights, but will additional modes/QOL/etc. be added to try and widen the audience?

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
What I'd like to see is your choices in build making a difference. So if you go big hulking knight with a greatshield, then you've chosen defense over agility. You can't flip around dodging everything because of your giant armour. Your backstab animation maybe is just a hilt bash or something and a player who goes with a speedy/sneaky does more damage on a crit with their dagger or a rapier. That kind of thing.
If you choose a path to go down, make those choices matter. Whilst Souls has build variety, you can still roll around like an acrobat in hulking armour and stick a 7 foot sword straight through someone's guts and have them get up like it was nothing.

Good build variety to me means decision paths that make a difference and you can't "do everything".

I'm curious what the difficulty of this one will be like. From's games are all pretty hardcore skewing, but with George R. R. Martin attached and a dark fantasy setting, they may be going more mainstream given how big GoT is.

What do people think? Guaranteed, at least the hardest mode will rival From's most frustrating delights, but will additional modes/QOL/etc. be added to try and widen the audience?
I'm certain they've already in interviews around the trailer reveal to expect more of the same in terms of challenge level.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Well From has covered some grounds. BB was Souls-easy and Sekiro probably too hard, so I gotta believe seeing how DS3 changed after BB that they will absolutely nail the difficulty curve in ER. I have to believe.

Edit : Even if they don't what am I gonna do. Not play it? lol that's not happening.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany

they won´t go mainstream difficulty wise, they want to provide a challenge also for seasoned players. should be clear by now.

"world full of danger and threats"

Well From has covered some grounds. BB was Souls-easy and Sekiro probably too hard, so I gotta believe seeing how DS3 changed after BB that they will absolutely nail the difficulty curve in ER. I have to believe.

Edit : Even if they don't what am I gonna do. Not play it? lol that's not happening.

Sekiro wasn´t "too hard" it was just like a rhythm game which many people didn´t understand. once you got the rhythm timing down on the parries it is in fact not hard at all.

lucancel

Oct 30, 2017
Italy
Challenge for veterans could be granted with few optional bosses imho and this should help getting newcomers.
Maybe myiazaki will realise It when he will try to play the game for shorter times after having his baby son...

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I hope the "difficulty" is the same as Souls. Just give players more options to deal with enemies and give players mobility options to get the hell out if things go wrong. I want a fresh new world to roam around and get bodied while doing so.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
If I don't yell "Fuck off, Miyazaki" at least two or three times the game is too easy and needs to be patched.

Status
Not open for further replies.