• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RevengeTaken

Banned
Aug 12, 2018
FromSoftware's Hidetaka Miyazaki, director of Dark Souls, Bloodborne, and Sekiro, sits down with IGN to tell you what to expect from his new game Elden Ring.
elden-ring-official-screenshot.jpg

Elden Ring's announcement trailer shown off at E3 2019's Xbox Briefing had honestly left me clueless. The most noteworthy aspect was, of course, the fact that Elden Ring's world is being created as a collaboration between Miyazaki and A Song of Ice and Fire author George R.R. Martin. But besides that, all I understood was that the "Elden Ring" had been shattered… by somebody or something?

It almost felt like the narrator's words "I doubt you could even imagine it" were addressed to me personally.
What Kind of Game Is Elden Ring?
Luckily, Miyazaki was not the secretive soul master I had imagined him to be. He was open and friendly and seemed eager to tell me all about his new game and the meaning behind the Elden Ring.

"Elden Ring is a third-person action RPG with a fantasy setting," he said. "The gameplay is not so far from Dark Souls. That doesn't mean that the gameplay will be identical, but you could say that Elden Ring belongs to the same genre."

Genre-wise, the same can be said for Bloodborne and Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, two of Miyazaki's more recent works. However, both titles brought a lot of fresh elements to the table. Bloodborne allowed the player to snatch back lost health with a quick counterattack, had transformable weapons and introduced firearms to counter an enemy's attack. Sekiro came with a unique sword fighting system focused on parrying attacks, literally brought exploration to new heights with a grappling hook and the ability to jump, and fundamentally changed the flow of battle by getting rid of the stamina gauge.

But according to Miyazaki, Elden Ring goes beyond simply bringing new twists to the formula. By adding larger and more open environments, he believes that the game will evolve on a larger scale.

"With a larger world, new systems and action mechanics inevitably become necessary," he said. "In that sense, I think that Elden Ring is a more natural evolution of Dark Souls."
more

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
If it's an evolution like how Dark Souls was to Demon's Souls, and Demon's Souls to King's Field, I am super in.

I mean I was already in, but this sounds like it's the in the same exact avenue of what I want.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
ok. well show us some gameplay then?

as it stands right now i'm not really interested. haven't really seen anything and what i've seen is kinda boring.

OP
OP
RevengeTaken

RevengeTaken

Banned
Aug 12, 2018
If it's an evolution like how Dark Souls was to Demon's Souls, and Demon's Souls to King's Field, I am super in.

I mean I was already in, but this sounds like it's the in the same exact avenue of what I want.
Dark Souls was pretty much the same compared to Demon's Souls! i think he's saying expect something like Sekiro in larger scale than DS :/!

Blizzcut

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
The more that it has ties to "Souls" genre it will unequivocally push me away from this game entirely. Which is unfortunate because the trailer looked really promising.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
One area I hope they evolve is the NPC's. Having static NPC's just spewing dialogue is getting old now. They really need to up the interaction and overall feel of the NPC's in the world. Also, enough with the ruined desolate worlds, have them lived in at least and flesh out the world, not just shambling monsters ready to kill. From's world building is amazing but at least show the slow degrading of the world, not just in cryptic lore items that hint about the past. Show it happening! Damn, those some time travel in if you must!

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
One area I hope they evolve is the NPC's. Having static NPC's just spewing dialogue is getting old now. They really need to up the interaction and overall feel of the NPC's in the world. Also, enough with the ruined desolate worlds, have them lived in at least and flesh out the world, not just shambling monsters ready to kill. From's world building is amazing but at least show the slow degrading of the world, not just in cryptic lore items that hint about the past. Show it happening! Damn, those some time travel in if you must!
He addresses both of those in the interview

Mendoza

Oct 29, 2017
Columbus
From.
They use to be so much more daring with IPs and now it's just the same shit but "evolved"
I'm so fucking baffled with this statement. You mean like "daring with IPs" like Chromehound? Or Deracine? Was Sekiro not evolved enough for you?
I'm trying to understand what you're saying here. We literally know nothing about this game other than it's an open world 3rd person action rpg game that will probably be hard. Is that your problem? It's another 3rd person action rpg game that will probably be hard?

Deleted member 4292

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Most of their stuff pre-Dark Souls hasn't been successful. Their new formula works, and it's still fresh with each entry.
I'm so fucking baffled with this statement. You mean like "daring with IPs" like Chromehound? Or Deracine? Was Sekiro not evolved enough for you?
I'm trying to understand what you're saying here. We literally know nothing about this game other than it's an open world 3rd person action rpg game that will probably be hard. Is that your problem? It's another 3rd person action rpg game that will probably be hard?
I'd rather them go creative on a lower/mid budget title and get creative like they did with Lost Kingdoms.

Bearwolf

Oct 27, 2017
Interested in what new mechanics they will introduce. Horse combat pretty much blows in every game that I've played with it in it, but maybe they will do something new.

What-ok

Dec 13, 2017
PDX OR
The slow drip of info and interviews on this game is torture. Hope we get some gameplay or a screen shot soon.

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
From.
They use to be so much more daring with IPs and now it's just the same shit but "evolved"

I mean to be fair, Sekiro is quite different in focus and I've seen many not liking it.
I loved it.

I also recommend Déraciné just because I love the atmosphere so much in that one. I hope we'll get something similar one day in the adventure genre (despite further VR plans on hold sadly - a King's Field VR style game could have been cool).

FusedAtoms

Jul 21, 2018
That opening paragraph is quite dumb but its IGN lol

I'm hoping for some cool machine type stuff with the weapons or gear like bloodborne and sekiro had , the lady with the fake arm in the trailer gives me hope