• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
No exaggeration: Defiled Watchdog made me put my fist through a coffee table. That fight took me sixteen days of bloody torture to beat. Then I got to Defiled Amygdala and was like "okay, no more of this shit". Never did end up beating Queen Yharnam because of that - she's the only trophy in vanilla BB I never got.

Lol. Idk how many people really got to the end there. I did manage to get all the way to Yharnam and beat her also. I didn't think Amygdala was as bad as Watchdog but I can see why you'd tap out there.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Lol. Idk how many people really got to the end there. I did manage to get all the way to Yharnam and beat her also. I didn't think Amygdala was as based as Watchdog but I can see why you'd tap out there.

Yeah, Amy wasn't as hard as the puppo, I was just so fucking burned out from my experiences fighting said pup that when something else came out that I could play, I just immediately pivoted to that, hah.

The funniest part of all: I killed Orphan of Kos in the DLC on my second try. I am making no illusions about my skill here: it was absolutely blind luck.

ry-dog

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really hoping there are difficulty levels. I just want to enjoy their worlds and combat, without needing the reflexes of a normal human.

Ravio-li

Dec 24, 2018
To be honest, while I would like to see a return to Yharnam, I would rather see new Settings with the Souls-formula. I feel both Dark Souls 2 and 3 were a bit weaker when they needed to fit in the Lore of the first game, instead of doing their own thing.

Instead of a Bloodborne-Sequel with Souls-gameplay, I would rather revisit that world with different mechanics. A Thief1/2 style stealth game! Go full horror with it.

Can't hold my excitement for Elden Ring! I think after the first trailer I will stop reading any infos and go in blind.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Amy wasn't as hard as the puppo, I was just so fucking burned out from my experiences fighting said pup that when something else came out that I could play, I just immediately pivoted to that, hah.

The funniest part of all: I killed Orphan of Kos in the DLC on my second try. I am making no illusions about my skill here: it was absolutely blind luck.

You play the DLC on NG or NG+? Orphan doesn't really get crazy until NG+ imo

One of my best gaming achievements is besting it on NG+6

Teuthex

May 31, 2019
My favorite part of DS3 was coming along with my friend as a Purplebro and constantly teasing him into thinking I would betray him, only to not actually betray him, then turning around and killing his ass at the most comedic moment possible.
If I had tried that with my friend I think they would never have played with me again, haha.

I do hope that this game expands on the covenant system or something similar, maybe with some more quests and stuff, rather than just grinding out the 30 invader kills for Dark Moon Blade (or more realistically, 100's of silver knights).

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
To be honest, while I would like to see a return to Yharnam, I would rather see new Settings with the Souls-formula. I feel both Dark Souls 2 and 3 were a bit weaker when they needed to fit in the Lore of the first game, instead of doing their own thing.

Instead of a Bloodborne-Sequel with Souls-gameplay, I would rather revisit that world with different mechanics. A Thief1/2 style stealth game! Go full horror with it.

Can't hold my excitement for Elden Ring! I think after the first trailer I will stop reading any infos and go in blind.

I think the biggest flaw of both Dark Souls 2 and 3 was the insistence on setting the whole story around linking the fire (again) both times. It felt like the Souls world could've been taken in a bunch of different directions after the end of DS1 but in both sequels it was just "everything reset, everything sucks again, re-link the fire so we can do this all over again in four years".

Taking the Souls formula and divorcing it entirely from the First Flame concept while keeping a similar visual style does have potential, at least. I may be down on this game because I'm tired of fighting knights with increasingly impractical armor, but at least it's not Dark Souls 4: Link The Flame Harderer.

You play the DLC on NG or NG+? Orphan doesn't really get crazy until NG+ imo

One of my best gaming achievements is besting it on NG+6

I did the DLC on the same save file as my initial playthrough, so it was either NG+ or NG++. Can't remember which.

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
More of something good is bad?
Lol. If Tarantino was a gamer:

1992 Reservoir Dogs
1994 Pulp Fiction
1996 Pulp Fiction 2
1998 Pulp Fiction 3
2000 Pulp Fiction 4
2004 Pulp Fiction V
2006 Pulp Fiction Origin
2008 Pulp Fiction Resurrection
2010 Pulp Fiction Rebooted 1
2012 Pulp Fiction Rebooted 2
2013 Pulp Fiction Rebooted 3
2014 Pulp Fiction (rebooted again but no new name)
2017 Pulp Fiction 2
2019 Inglourious Basterds (120 pages Era thread of irate gamers)

Many of you are so conservative when it comes to openness to experience. There are five ridiculously samey games with a lot of very good DLC already available, all of which released within 7 years or so. Surely, that's enough? Hell, it's too much if anything. Remember how DaS3 got a lukewarm-ish response, despite being a fantastic game, largely because everybody'd gotten tired of the formula?

Oct 25, 2017
I think the biggest flaw of both Dark Souls 2 and 3 was the insistence on setting the whole story around linking the fire (again) both times. It felt like the Souls world could've been taken in a bunch of different directions after the end of DS1 but in both sequels it was just "everything reset, everything sucks again, re-link the fire so we can do this all over again in four years".

Taking the Souls formula and divorcing it entirely from the First Flame concept while keeping a similar visual style does have potential, at least. I may be down on this game because I'm tired of fighting knights with increasingly impractical armor, but at least it's not Dark Souls 4: Link The Flame Harderer.

I did the DLC on the same save file as my initial playthrough, so it was either NG+ or NG++. Can't remember which.

Um what pray tell in BB is practical lol?
Don't weaken your own arguments

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
I love BB, even more than sekiro (and I fucking love sekiro), but come on, how can anyone say they like from and not be so fucking excited for something new

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
If I had tried that with my friend I think they would never have played with me again, haha.

I do hope that this game expands on the covenant system or something similar, maybe with some more quests and stuff, rather than just grinding out the 30 invader kills for Dark Moon Blade (or more realistically, 100's of silver knights).

He was so mad at me. The funny part is that any time I betrayed him, it always came AFTER we unlocked a shortcut. I may have been murdering his ass, but I wasn't going to do it without ensuring he was able to make actual progress. I'm not a monster, after all.

Um what pray tell in BB is practical lol?
Don't weaken your own arguments

That wasn't a comparison to Bloodborne. I'm just saying that they've made so many variants of "guy in armor" in the four Souls games that in order to make them visually distinguishable from each other, they've been making said armor more and more impractical and silly looking. I'm just tired of fighting knights.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
I wonder if this is what From's so called A-team was working on, Sekiro was great, but didn't quite seem like their main project after Bloodborne.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
I wonder if this is what From's so called A-team was working on, Sekiro was great, but didn't quite seem like their main project after Bloodborne.

I really don't think they have set A-team or B-team. I'm pretty sure staff is allocated individually to each project based on expertise. A lot of the Bloodborne leads were on Sekiro actually. They share a lot of resources between projects and also outsource a ton.

ShiningBash

Oct 29, 2017
The further this game is from anything Dark Souls, the more intrigued I will be. Except for the soundtrack. Whoever composes for those games should be the first hire.

Neoraxis

Nov 27, 2017
I have a feeling that this game will be different from the usual souls brutal gameplay and will be more casual.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Amazed by Souls fans who hated Sekiro. Equally amazed at those who thought Sekiro was 'something different' - it was a variation on a theme, but I think Sekiro was still very much on brand for From Soft.

Oct 25, 2017
Sekiro was made by the Bloodborne leads, actually. The co-director is even Bloodborne's Lead Game Designer.

Please don't perpetuate this nonsense
I think that's a good thing, actually. This game will be so huge that it will "redeem" the "B Team" in a lot of people's eyes, especially those who were disappointed with Sekiro.

Better than pretending there isn't a difference is to be equally as excited to any of their projects.

Amazed by Souls fans who hated Sekiro. Equally amazed at those who thought Sekiro was 'something different' - it was a variation on a theme, but I think Sekiro was still very much on brand for From Soft.
Yeah, I agree. When people list all of the reasons why Sekiro isn't a Souls game, I agree with every single one of them. But at the end of the day, if I ask someone how they rank the Souls games, I also want to know where Sekiro falls in, and if they don't list it, I'll follow up with that question.

It can't be replaced by "From Games", because I don't care how Enchanted Arms ranks to them compared to Souls, it can't be replaced by "Modern From Games", or even "Miyazaki Games", because I don't care how they rank Déraciné, if they played it.

So, at the end of the day, as much as I do think it's very different, I still would include Sekiro in the same package.

Oct 25, 2017
Sekiro was made by the Bloodborne leads, actually. The co-director is even Bloodborne's Lead Game Designer.

I think that's a good thing, actually. This game will be so huge that it will "redeem" the "B Team" in a lot of people's eyes, especially those who were disappointed with Sekiro.

Better than pretending there isn't a difference is to be equally as excited to any of their projects.

But as a poster above said, it's just two teams with interchangeable personnel.

The A team, B team mindset makes it seem like one is superior to the other.

Oct 25, 2017
Meaning what, exactly? I'm just saying that everyone always worries that every FromSoft game is going to be the one that goes FULL CASUAL and they never do that.
Yeah, this happens every single time. And while I do think their games some times do go on the easy side, it's never "casualized" in the way people fear. They still provide the same core experience. The quality of a Souls game isn't determined by how many times I die, after all, and Bloodborne is my favorite even though I think it's on the easy side.

I wouldn't trade it killing me many more times for it having a map, for example. The difficulty of the series is overrated.

It's only in the DLCs that I really need the difficulty, because I'm already used to the main game, it being the same level of difficulty results in it being actually much easier for anyone who was playing from day one.

Oct 25, 2017
But as a poster above said, it's just two teams with interchangeable personnel.

The A team, B team mindset makes it seem like one is superior to the other.
I agree, but that superiority being dispelled is more important than just pretending the difference in project leads doesn't change anything. Of course it does.

Like, JoJo Vento Aureo was made by a B Team, and everyone was worried at first, but it's SO FUCKING GOOD, and it has such high production values that I want that team making every part now. Let the A Team handle other projects. I'm more interested in knowing who's responsible for each title than pretending it's all the same thing.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this happens every single time. And while I do think their games some times do go on the easy side, it's never "casualized" in the way people fear. They still provide the same core experience. The quality of a Souls game isn't determined by how many times I die, after all, and Bloodborne is my favorite even though I think it's on the easy side.

I wouldn't trade it killing me many more times for it having a map, for example. The difficulty of the series is overrated.

It's only in the DLCs that I really need the difficulty, because I'm already used to the main game, it being the same level of difficulty results in it being actually much easier for anyone who was playing from day one.

Sekiro's DLC is gonna make my butthole clench. Can't wait.

Been playing without Kuro's Chatm for a while now to perfect my parry timings

Oct 25, 2017
I agree, but that superiority being dispelled is more important than just pretending the difference in project leads doesn't change anything. Of course it does.

Like, JoJo Vento Aureo was made by a B Team, and everyone was worried at first, but it's SO FUCKING GOOD, and it has such high production values that I want that team making every part now. Let the A Team handle other projects. I'm more interested in knowing who's responsible for each title than pretending it's all the same thing.

I think we are saying the same thing. Two teams do exist. A and B. However the nomenclature does not imply superiority of one over the other which is the sentiment that you usually see

Oct 25, 2017
Actually, I never thought about it, but I wonder if part of the reason people have this different perception of "A Team and B Team" has to do with where they're from, and how schools rank students there. We don't use a letter system here, so to me A and B are very much neutral, and just refer to which one came first.

But if you're used to letter grades, then it obviously makes you think about quality.

Maybe the standard should have been "Team 1" and "Team 2", but now everyone's used to A and B to refer to things like that.

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo
i fucking hate it when one or two incredible games pop up near the end of a console's lifecycle and make me think I should buy one...

nope, nope nope nope...going to build that PC, going to build that PC... i can wait to play this on PC.....

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
The underappreciation of Sekiro in this thread is kind of a shame. Sword battles have never felt this gratifying (with all the sparks flying and sound effects).

Tomoe DLC please...
a battle where Isshin was nearly killed means a lot after experiencing what he can do. Get ready for five phases!

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
i fucking hate it when one or two incredible games pop up near the end of a console's lifecycle and make me think I should buy one...

nope, nope nope nope...going to build that PC, going to build that PC... i can wait to play this on PC.....
I'm guessing this is an autumn 2020 title with gameplay revealed in spring. You should be getting native next-gen console versions of it.

Oct 25, 2017
Actually, I never thought about it, but I wonder if part of the reason people have this different perception of "A Team and B Team" has to do with where they're from, and how schools rank students there. We don't use a letter system here, so to me A and B are very much neutral, and just refer to which one came first.

But if you're used to letter grades, then it obviously makes you think about quality.

Maybe the standard should have been "Team 1" and "Team 2", but now everyone's used to A and B to refer to things like that.

It has to do with DS2. Nonsense considering that the BB leads made Sekiro which BB fans in this very thread did not like.

I say again to fans clamoring for BB2. Don't be so sure that you would like a sequel to BB.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

The term "B Team" has a negative connotation associated with it because the phrase "B Team" is negative. It's saying the people in that team are the backups, the second stringers, the phase-2s.

I doubt From actually refers to their second team as their B Team, but even if they did, the connotation is likely different in Japan than it is in the US. I don't think it has anything to do with school grading, though - it's more a descriptor of order than quality.

Oct 25, 2017
The term "B Team" has a negative connotation associated with it because the phrase "B Team" is negative. It's saying the people in that team are the backups, the second stringers, the phase-2s.

I doubt From actually refers to their second team as their B Team, but even if they did, the connotation is likely different in Japan than it is in the US. I don't think it has anything to do with school grading, though - it's more a descriptor of order than quality.
I would imagine they refer to it by projects internally, so this is the GR team and Hamatani's team was the NTC team. And they shift every time a new project is about to start, because people go help in other projects and end up not returning later. I imagine a bunch of Sekiro people went straight to Armored Core, for example, and instead of returning when the Sekiro team starts working on a new game, they'll stay there and the Elden Ring people will go help them instead.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I would imagine they refer to it by projects internally, so this is the GR team and Hamatani's team was the NTC team. And they shift every time a new project is about to start, because people go help in other projects and end up not returning later. I imagine a bunch of Sekiro people went straight to Armored Core, for example, and instead of returning when the Sekiro team starts working on a new game, they'll stay there and the Elden Ring people will go help them instead.

Sounds logical, yeah.

It has to do with DS2. Nonsense considering that the BB leads made Sekiro which BB fans in this very thread did not like.

I say again to fans clamoring for BB2. Don't be so sure that you would like a sequel to BB.

As long as a sequel to BB had player customization and co-op, what would be the problem? It might not be as good or as unique as the first game was, but that's fine, sequels rarely surpass their progenitors. If they completely changed the structure of the game or gutted out the RPG elements, that would be a problem, and that would defeat the point of even making a sequel.

Status
Not open for further replies.