Elden Ring leaked (From Software, Miyazaki x George R.R Martin, X1/PS4/PC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GC-

Oct 25, 2017
Or you know they wanted to have the ability to market a game with his name on it. They pay him 1 million to consult on some minor things -> they get to plaster his face on every marketing add and the box art -> they sell a lot of more copies.

Not saying it’s the case here but it’s exactly how it works in LOTS of other places. Celebrity whine is basically someone putting there name on an already available whine and take a few % of the earnings. Same with everything endorsed by a celebrity.
His name is attached to almost everything anyway and at least with a FS game if it’s not one of their best it’s still going to be better than average,

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
I expect a teaser at E3, but I think there's a small chance we'll see actual gameplay, since the game was leaked and the surprise was ruined.

GC-

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I bet he’s involved in the world building and lore. Say whatever you want about GoT but the world building is grade A fantastic.
GoT not so much but A Song of Ice and Fire it’s far beyond what is necessary but also the best part of the books. There are multiple books that aren’t part of the main series that support it.

Leplutorius

Oct 28, 2017
A weave of golden rings, four circles that make up a triquetra in their center. The logo of the new project by From Software recovers a symbol of Nordic origin, and clearly reaffirms the already anticipated Celtic influences: thus the whispered Progetto Rune becomes Elden Ring.
At first glance Elden might seem like an archaic and obsolete English verb, which means "to grow old". Instead, it is more likely to come from the Old Norse "eld", which is then the fire, natural or alchemic. Or - by substitution - the bonfire, which in Miyazaki's iconography has a particular value.
A circle of fire is also the one that traps the Valkyrie Brunilde, daughter of Odin.
On the other hand, the triquetra symbolizes the mother goddess (because everything that generates life is the mother) and the union of the elements.
Waiting to know what will be the creative contribution of George R.R. Martin, the new project from From Software starts to unravel. And make us dream.
Thank you for this post.
I come here for stuff like this.

DmckPower

Feb 1, 2018
This is probably going to be their first AA game using Unreal Engine. Hopefully no more frame pacing problems.
Some people actually still consider FromSoft flagship titles to be "AA" and that From are bad at tech ?

I bet these ideas would persist even if Kevin Feige asked them to make a game lol

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
I expect a teaser at E3, but I think there's a small chance we'll see actual gameplay, since the game was leaked and the surprise was ruined.
oh noes, the surprise was ruined! lol, where is the difference, the "rumor" of this game was out for weeks now, where smoke is fire.

do you think they go like "yeah, lets show em gameplay because the surprise was ruined!" the marketing will still show what they wanted to show which will be a CGI Trailer at best. everybody, please be excited for yet another non gameplay reveal teaser video.

GameShrink

Oct 29, 2017
For Sekiro, we got a tease at The Game Awards and a proper gameplay reveal at E3. I expect the opposite will be true here, and we'll be waiting on gameplay until either TGS or The Game Awards 2019.

Although, the leaks thus far have included gameplay descriptions, which wasn't true at all in the leadup to the "Shadows Die Twice" teaser.

What-ok

Dec 13, 2017
PDX OR
Can’t wait to see something. Anything.

Edit* I’m excited for a new challenge. I imagine it will be typical From difficulty and if there are indeed summons than there is easy mode for whomever needs a little help.

Last edited:

GC-

Oct 25, 2017
If someone from FS happens to be reading check out the Vorhh trilogy. That trilogy would fit FS very well.

finalflame

Product Management
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Ha, I get it. But it would be a shame for all that creative to be gated by the typical FromSoftware approach. Maybe a "skip this battle" option for those who just don't have the time or patience.
I think the Soulsborne games did it well: summoning is basically the difficulty crutch. I'd welcome the summoning/PVP system returning :D

Teuthex

May 31, 2019
Nice theory but I doubt From Software needs to stoop to that level. They aren't some little known joe shmoe game developer.
No, but also consider: From Software’s games and ASOIAF already have quite a bit of crossover appeal. GRRM’s involvement might be a way of getting people who were otherwise turned off by the game’s perceived difficulty to give it a try. While many people try the Souls games and find them too hard, others (like myself: it was the new-gen doldrums of 2014, and it was free on Games with Gold) just need the right incentive to give them a try.
And while having the name of one of the most famous living fantasy authors on the box is a good marketing move, this old interview from 2012 gives another possible reason:

What about Game Of Thrones?
Hidetaka Miyazaki
I really love it. I’ve always been such a huge fan of George R.R. Martin that it overwhelms me. His approach to fantasy is kind of like the Romance Of Three Kingdoms, the Chinese historical-political drama, which I’m a fan of as well. The political elements are a lot of fun, and the drama is done really well too.
Ryan Morris (Dark Souls translator) He bought the Game Of Thrones Blu-ray in Vegas! The TV drama hasn’t been translated to Japanese yet.

Political drama is obviously harder to pull off in a game, as it’s less action-orientated.
HM
There are different types of fantasy, ones that are better told in games and others that would be better in a drama. That political human drama – the relationships between people and stuff – is better suited to a book. I don’t think it would be possible to tell that story with a game, or at least I wouldn’t want to attempt it.

Miyazaki seems to just be a big fan of fantasy as a genre, and if you could collaborate with one of your favourite authors, why wouldn’t you?

GC-

Oct 25, 2017
GrrM is big on lovecraft, the song of ice and fire books are actually very lovecraftian, especially with Euron Grayjoy, something the show never really touched upon.
Where? In what I think you are referring to that’s reaching a bit, no more lovecraft than standard 1700s -1800’s adventure novel.

the whole visited a different continent and seen things nobody else had. It’s how nearly all Lovecraft stories start to tedium but that was a very popular theme where the whole unexplored world full of mysteries was a big draw for many readers from Africa to South America, the orient, etc.

Nightflyers and the other stories set in that universe then sure but not a song of ice and fire.

Last edited:

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
oh noes, the surprise was ruined! lol, where is the difference, the "rumor" of this game was out for weeks now, where smoke is fire.

do you think they go like "yeah, lets show em gameplay because the surprise was ruined!" the marketing will still show what they wanted to show which will be a CGI Trailer at best. everybody, please be excited for yet another non gameplay reveal teaser video.
I 've got credible sources that say they are cancelling the game now that the surprise was ruined

Gbraga

Oct 25, 2017
No, but also consider: From Software’s games and ASOIAF already have quite a bit of crossover appeal. GRRM’s involvement might be a way of getting people who were otherwise turned off by the game’s perceived difficulty to give it a try. While many people try the Souls games and find them too hard, others (like myself: it was the new-gen doldrums of 2014, and it was free on Games with Gold) just need the right incentive to give them a try.
And while having the name of one of the most famous living fantasy authors on the box is a good marketing move, this old interview from 2012 gives another possible reason:

Miyazaki seems to just be a big fan of fantasy as a genre, and if you could collaborate with one of your favourite authors, why wouldn’t you?
This is so cool. Even if GRRM's involvement isn't that big, just the fact that Miyazaki got to work with someone he greatly admires is awesome. I was also really happy for him receiving his lifetime achievement award from two of his biggest inspirations.

He's living the dream, well deserved.

Res

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone have a link to that original thread when the grrm rumor first came up? I can't find it anymore, and I'm assuming it was moved

Edit: NVM, found it

Last edited:

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Ha, I get it. But it would be a shame for all that creative to be gated by the typical FromSoftware approach. Maybe a "skip this battle" option for those who just don't have the time or patience.
you can also not play it then, how about that? If its not for you its not for you! go watch a lets play of it and give a good streamer a new viewer. FromSoftware is perfectly happy to purely cater to their hardcore fans which is obvious since they have hardly wavered in their approach since Demon Souls.

Teuthex

May 31, 2019
This is so cool. Even if GRRM's involvement isn't that big, just the fact that Miyazaki got to work with someone he greatly admires is awesome. I was also really happy for him receiving his lifetime achievement award from two of his biggest inspirations.

He's living the dream, well deserved.
It would probably be really exciting, and he might be hoping to learn something new about storytelling from GRRM. In a recent interview, he talked about wanting to make a game with a big story like RDR2 someday, but noted that it wouldn’t work so well with his current approach (the details of the story comes last after the levels and setpieces are done, which interestingly, is much like how action movies like John Wick and Mission Impossible are written).

Maybe with GRRM’s involvement, Elden Ring is a step in the direction of a more involved narrative.

PrimeBeef

Oct 27, 2017
Can someone help me find this game I know GRRM had a hand in writing. This game easily came out over 10 maybe 15 years ago. It was a 3D PC RPG. IIRC, the box had a skeleton or a skull, now that I think of it maybe a wizard on the cover. I was shit. It played like shit, the story was shit. But I remember it had his name on it obviously to get people lie me to buy it.

Gbraga

Oct 25, 2017
It would probably be really exciting, and he might be hoping to learn something new about storytelling from GRRM. In a recent interview, he talked about wanting to make a game with a big story like RDR2 someday, but noted that it wouldn’t work so well with his current approach (the details of the story comes last after the levels and setpieces are done, which interestingly, is much like how action movies like John Wick and Mission Impossible are written).

Maybe with GRRM’s involvement, Elden Ring is a step in the direction of a more involved narrative.
I hope not, lmao.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
the whole point is that its hard.
If that’s the case then how come nobody ever shuts up about how great the lore is? Difficulty for difficulty’s sake is boring as hell. If you don’t want the game to be easier than whatever, but basically all the praise of their games contradicts your argument here. There’s a lot more to it.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
If that’s the case then how come nobody ever shuts up about how great the lore is? Difficulty for difficulty’s sake is boring as hell. If you don’t want the game to be easier than whatever, but basically all the praise of their games contradicts your argument here. There’s a lot more to it.
Difficulty for difficulty's sake is not the point or the idea of Souls games and anyone who tells you it is has no idea what they're talking about. Don't worry about those posts.

bakuretsu

Nov 30, 2017

That article is pretty misleading. Check my post in the related topic:

mon_mignon

Jun 11, 2018
Seeing the comments on the difficulty of FROM games here and I really hope that GRRM’s involvement encourages more people to give them a chance while the level of challenge stays consistent.

I consider myself pretty bad at games in general, and these ones can be frustrating at times. But they really are not impossible and the feeling of accomplishment and catharsis is one of the things that I think really makes them special. There’s a lot of other great stuff out there to play if that isn’t your thing.

Rogue Agent

Oct 25, 2017
I know that we haven't seen the game yet but I hope there's something like the Master Key as an optional starting item. I really appreciated that because it made Dark Souls a more free-er experience than normal, even though it invited a lot of danger.

Slick Butter

Oct 25, 2017
I know that we haven't seen the game yet but I hope there's something like the Master Key as an optional starting item. I really appreciated that because it made Dark Souls a more free-er experience than normal, even though it invited a lot of danger.
I hope doors are only ever merely locked and not only openable from a single side

Teuthex

May 31, 2019
I imagine that there will need to be a few baby steps between the Souls games and RDR2/TW3, haha. Like sidequests that you can complete without needing a wiki for a start. I enjoyed the more traditional story and the cutscenes in Sekiro, but I would love to feel a bit more attached to the supporting cast.
That article is pretty misleading. Check my post in the related topic:
Translated stuff is always frustrating like that. If Miyazaki does want to create a game with a bigger ensemble cast and coherent interrelated histories, teaming up with GRRM makes quite a bit of sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.