• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 28, 2017
Or you know they wanted to have the ability to market a game with his name on it. They pay him 1 million to consult on some minor things -> they get to plaster his face on every marketing add and the box art -> they sell a lot of more copies.

Not saying it's the case here but it's exactly how it works in LOTS of other places. Celebrity whine is basically someone putting there name on an already available whine and take a few % of the earnings. Same with everything endorsed by a celebrity.
My name is commander shepard and this is my favorite store on the citadel.

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019
Or you know they wanted to have the ability to market a game with his name on it. They pay him 1 million to consult on some minor things -> they get to plaster his face on every marketing add and the box art -> they sell a lot of more copies.

Not saying it's the case here but it's exactly how it works in LOTS of other places. Celebrity whine is basically someone putting there name on an already available whine and take a few % of the earnings. Same with everything endorsed by a celebrity.

Nice theory but I doubt From Software needs to stoop to that level. They aren't some little known joe shmoe game developer.

Pharaoh

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Man, if the reveal is CG only it will be so disappointing. I'm hoping for at least a gameplay trailer but a gameplay demo would be even better.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
You probably have to wait until August for gameplay. Hopefully enough content in the trailer to keep us speculating.

Dec 8, 2018
Nice theory but I doubt From Software needs to stoop to that level. They aren't some little known joe shmoe game developer.

They are a company. Companies exist to earn money and if they see one way of doing that is to hire a celebrity to increase their earnings they will do it. Why do you think basically every AAA game nowadays not only use well known game celebrities but actual Hollywood actors? They don't give two fucks about what level they have to stoop to if a name on a box will perhaps double their income.

Res

Oct 25, 2017
Activision did something right by having their reveal of Sekiro consisting of just gameplay

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017

Finally someome who gets it

AzureFlame

Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait

giphy.webp

Deleted member 984

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

His name is attached to almost everything anyway and at least with a FS game if it's not one of their best it's still going to be better than average,

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
I expect a teaser at E3, but I think there's a small chance we'll see actual gameplay, since the game was leaked and the surprise was ruined.

Deleted member 984

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I bet he's involved in the world building and lore. Say whatever you want about GoT but the world building is grade A fantastic.

GoT not so much but A Song of Ice and Fire it's far beyond what is necessary but also the best part of the books. There are multiple books that aren't part of the main series that support it.

Leplutorius

Oct 28, 2017
A weave of golden rings, four circles that make up a triquetra in their center. The logo of the new project by From Software recovers a symbol of Nordic origin, and clearly reaffirms the already anticipated Celtic influences: thus the whispered Progetto Rune becomes Elden Ring.
At first glance Elden might seem like an archaic and obsolete English verb, which means "to grow old". Instead, it is more likely to come from the Old Norse "eld", which is then the fire, natural or alchemic. Or - by substitution - the bonfire, which in Miyazaki's iconography has a particular value.
A circle of fire is also the one that traps the Valkyrie Brunilde, daughter of Odin.
On the other hand, the triquetra symbolizes the mother goddess (because everything that generates life is the mother) and the union of the elements.
Waiting to know what will be the creative contribution of George R.R. Martin, the new project from From Software starts to unravel. And make us dream.
fb_img_1559977207494g3kq4.jpg
Thank you for this post.
I come here for stuff like this.

DmckPower

Feb 1, 2018
This is probably going to be their first AA game using Unreal Engine. Hopefully no more frame pacing problems.

Some people actually still consider FromSoft flagship titles to be "AA" and that From are bad at tech ?

I bet these ideas would persist even if Kevin Feige asked them to make a game lol

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
I expect a teaser at E3, but I think there's a small chance we'll see actual gameplay, since the game was leaked and the surprise was ruined.

oh noes, the surprise was ruined! lol, where is the difference, the "rumor" of this game was out for weeks now, where smoke is fire.

do you think they go like "yeah, lets show em gameplay because the surprise was ruined!" the marketing will still show what they wanted to show which will be a CGI Trailer at best. everybody, please be excited for yet another non gameplay reveal teaser video.

GameShrink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
For Sekiro, we got a tease at The Game Awards and a proper gameplay reveal at E3. I expect the opposite will be true here, and we'll be waiting on gameplay until either TGS or The Game Awards 2019.

Although, the leaks thus far have included gameplay descriptions, which wasn't true at all in the leadup to the "Shadows Die Twice" teaser.

What-ok

Dec 13, 2017
PDX OR
Can't wait to see something. Anything.

Edit* I'm excited for a new challenge. I imagine it will be typical From difficulty and if there are indeed summons than there is easy mode for whomever needs a little help.

Last edited:

Deleted member 984

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If someone from FS happens to be reading check out the Vorhh trilogy. That trilogy would fit FS very well.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ha, I get it. But it would be a shame for all that creative to be gated by the typical FromSoftware approach. Maybe a "skip this battle" option for those who just don't have the time or patience.
I think the Soulsborne games did it well: summoning is basically the difficulty crutch. I'd welcome the summoning/PVP system returning :D

Teuthex

May 31, 2019
No, but also consider: From Software's games and ASOIAF already have quite a bit of crossover appeal. GRRM's involvement might be a way of getting people who were otherwise turned off by the game's perceived difficulty to give it a try. While many people try the Souls games and find them too hard, others (like myself: it was the new-gen doldrums of 2014, and it was free on Games with Gold) just need the right incentive to give them a try.
And while having the name of one of the most famous living fantasy authors on the box is a good marketing move, this old interview from 2012 gives another possible reason:

What about Game Of Thrones?
Hidetaka Miyazaki
I really love it. I've always been such a huge fan of George R.R. Martin that it overwhelms me. His approach to fantasy is kind of like the Romance Of Three Kingdoms, the Chinese historical-political drama, which I'm a fan of as well. The political elements are a lot of fun, and the drama is done really well too.
Ryan Morris (Dark Souls translator) He bought the Game Of Thrones Blu-ray in Vegas! The TV drama hasn't been translated to Japanese yet.

Political drama is obviously harder to pull off in a game, as it's less action-orientated.
HM
There are different types of fantasy, ones that are better told in games and others that would be better in a drama. That political human drama – the relationships between people and stuff – is better suited to a book. I don't think it would be possible to tell that story with a game, or at least I wouldn't want to attempt it.

Miyazaki seems to just be a big fan of fantasy as a genre, and if you could collaborate with one of your favourite authors, why wouldn't you?

Deleted member 984

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
GrrM is big on lovecraft, the song of ice and fire books are actually very lovecraftian, especially with Euron Grayjoy, something the show never really touched upon.

Where? In what I think you are referring to that's reaching a bit, no more lovecraft than standard 1700s -1800's adventure novel.

the whole visited a different continent and seen things nobody else had. It's how nearly all Lovecraft stories start to tedium but that was a very popular theme where the whole unexplored world full of mysteries was a big draw for many readers from Africa to South America, the orient, etc.

Nightflyers and the other stories set in that universe then sure but not a song of ice and fire.

Last edited:

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
oh noes, the surprise was ruined! lol, where is the difference, the "rumor" of this game was out for weeks now, where smoke is fire.

do you think they go like "yeah, lets show em gameplay because the surprise was ruined!" the marketing will still show what they wanted to show which will be a CGI Trailer at best. everybody, please be excited for yet another non gameplay reveal teaser video.

I 've got credible sources that say they are cancelling the game now that the surprise was ruined

Oct 25, 2017
No, but also consider: From Software's games and ASOIAF already have quite a bit of crossover appeal. GRRM's involvement might be a way of getting people who were otherwise turned off by the game's perceived difficulty to give it a try. While many people try the Souls games and find them too hard, others (like myself: it was the new-gen doldrums of 2014, and it was free on Games with Gold) just need the right incentive to give them a try.
And while having the name of one of the most famous living fantasy authors on the box is a good marketing move, this old interview from 2012 gives another possible reason:

Miyazaki seems to just be a big fan of fantasy as a genre, and if you could collaborate with one of your favourite authors, why wouldn't you?
This is so cool. Even if GRRM's involvement isn't that big, just the fact that Miyazaki got to work with someone he greatly admires is awesome. I was also really happy for him receiving his lifetime achievement award from two of his biggest inspirations.

He's living the dream, well deserved.

Res

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone have a link to that original thread when the grrm rumor first came up? I can't find it anymore, and I'm assuming it was moved

Edit: NVM, found it

Last edited:

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Ha, I get it. But it would be a shame for all that creative to be gated by the typical FromSoftware approach. Maybe a "skip this battle" option for those who just don't have the time or patience.
you can also not play it then, how about that? If its not for you its not for you! go watch a lets play of it and give a good streamer a new viewer. FromSoftware is perfectly happy to purely cater to their hardcore fans which is obvious since they have hardly wavered in their approach since Demon Souls.

Status
Not open for further replies.