• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Teuthex

May 31, 2019
This is so cool. Even if GRRM's involvement isn't that big, just the fact that Miyazaki got to work with someone he greatly admires is awesome. I was also really happy for him receiving his lifetime achievement award from two of his biggest inspirations.

He's living the dream, well deserved.

It would probably be really exciting, and he might be hoping to learn something new about storytelling from GRRM. In a recent interview, he talked about wanting to make a game with a big story like RDR2 someday, but noted that it wouldn't work so well with his current approach (the details of the story comes last after the levels and setpieces are done, which interestingly, is much like how action movies like John Wick and Mission Impossible are written).

Maybe with GRRM's involvement, Elden Ring is a step in the direction of a more involved narrative.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can someone help me find this game I know GRRM had a hand in writing. This game easily came out over 10 maybe 15 years ago. It was a 3D PC RPG. IIRC, the box had a skeleton or a skull, now that I think of it maybe a wizard on the cover. I was shit. It played like shit, the story was shit. But I remember it had his name on it obviously to get people lie me to buy it.

Oct 25, 2017
It would probably be really exciting, and he might be hoping to learn something new about storytelling from GRRM. In a recent interview, he talked about wanting to make a game with a big story like RDR2 someday, but noted that it wouldn't work so well with his current approach (the details of the story comes last after the levels and setpieces are done, which interestingly, is much like how action movies like John Wick and Mission Impossible are written).

Maybe with GRRM's involvement, Elden Ring is a step in the direction of a more involved narrative.
I hope not, lmao.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
the whole point is that its hard.

If that's the case then how come nobody ever shuts up about how great the lore is? Difficulty for difficulty's sake is boring as hell. If you don't want the game to be easier than whatever, but basically all the praise of their games contradicts your argument here. There's a lot more to it.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
If that's the case then how come nobody ever shuts up about how great the lore is? Difficulty for difficulty's sake is boring as hell. If you don't want the game to be easier than whatever, but basically all the praise of their games contradicts your argument here. There's a lot more to it.
Difficulty for difficulty's sake is not the point or the idea of Souls games and anyone who tells you it is has no idea what they're talking about. Don't worry about those posts.

bakuretsu

Nov 30, 2017

That article is pretty misleading. Check my post in the related topic:

knight_cream

Jun 11, 2018
NYC
Seeing the comments on the difficulty of FROM games here and I really hope that GRRM's involvement encourages more people to give them a chance while the level of challenge stays consistent.

I consider myself pretty bad at games in general, and these ones can be frustrating at times. But they really are not impossible and the feeling of accomplishment and catharsis is one of the things that I think really makes them special. There's a lot of other great stuff out there to play if that isn't your thing.

Rogue Agent

Oct 25, 2017
I know that we haven't seen the game yet but I hope there's something like the Master Key as an optional starting item. I really appreciated that because it made Dark Souls a more free-er experience than normal, even though it invited a lot of danger.

Slick Butter

Oct 25, 2017
I know that we haven't seen the game yet but I hope there's something like the Master Key as an optional starting item. I really appreciated that because it made Dark Souls a more free-er experience than normal, even though it invited a lot of danger.
I hope doors are only ever merely locked and not only openable from a single side

Teuthex

May 31, 2019
I imagine that there will need to be a few baby steps between the Souls games and RDR2/TW3, haha. Like sidequests that you can complete without needing a wiki for a start. I enjoyed the more traditional story and the cutscenes in Sekiro, but I would love to feel a bit more attached to the supporting cast.
Translated stuff is always frustrating like that. If Miyazaki does want to create a game with a bigger ensemble cast and coherent interrelated histories, teaming up with GRRM makes quite a bit of sense.

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
I hope doors are only ever merely locked and not only openable from a single side

Ya know, this is one of those things that are easy to overlook but have a huge impact on the sense of discovery and exploration in a level. Psychologically, the moment you see a door that says "does not open from this side" your mind will go 'oh thats a shortcut'. Especially if you're accustomed to these games like a lot of us are. In a way it diminishes the effect of finding the shortcut because you predicted the door would be one earlier.

However, when the door simply says Locked, your mind could go 1. Shortcut, 2. I need a key, 3. Maybe I just cant open it. And so when you return to the door and it was a shortcut you weren't already primed for it being option 1 and it can still feel like a genuine discovery. Same for if the door actually needs a Key.

I hope someone at From is reading this lol.

ced

Oct 27, 2017
Ya know, this is one of those things that are easy to overlook but have a huge impact on the sense of discovery and exploration in a level. Psychologically, the moment you see a door that says "does not open from this side" your mind will go 'oh thats a shortcut'. Especially if you're accustomed to these games like a lot of us are. In a way it diminishes the effect of finding the shortcut because you predicted the door would be one earlier.

However, when the door simply says Locked, your mind could go 1. Shortcut, 2. I need a key, 3. Maybe I just cant open it. And so when you return to the door and it was a shortcut you weren't already primed for it being option 1 and it can still feel like a genuine discovery. Same for if the door actually needs a Key.

I've never thought about it that way but you've got a great point

What-ok

Dec 13, 2017
PDX OR

I like this. Locked is sufficient and if there is a door that only opens from "the other side" don't have a prompt at all since it's not relevant until the other side is discovered anyway. (;

Jamaro

Oct 27, 2017

Never once thought about this, but I couldn't agree more.

Zelda

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How is it possible that From just released Sekiro and is already about to announce a brand new game? Do they have multiple teams working on multiple projects? Did their B team or their A team work on Sekiro?

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
How is it possible that From just released Sekiro and is already about to announce a brand new game? Do they have multiple teams working on multiple projects? Did their B team or their A team work on Sekiro?

The devs likely shuffle all over the place as games go from pre-production to full production, I doubt there's an "A" team and a "B"" team. From must have a lot of employees working there, that much is certain.

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017

People forget that DS2/3 and BB all released within a year from each other(14/15/16). Its been 3 years since DS3. Plenty of time to dev 2 games. Crap, I wouldn't be surprised to see BB2 in 2021 with asset reuse.

Oct 27, 2017

They're incredibly efficient and they reuse a lot of assets and animations. I believe they've also been using the same engine since Demon's Souls for their games.

Slick Butter

Oct 25, 2017

This is basically what I've thought about it. Though, I don't *really* have a huge problem with it, but once you've played a modern FROM game (technically you don't even have to have played one! but it probably goes mostly unnoticed by new players.), you just know that "does not open from this side" == you will be returning here later, and this is the shortcut back.
Not that that's a terrible thing, but I would appreciate it if they kept it vague and mysterious!

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Can someone help me find this game I know GRRM had a hand in writing. This game easily came out over 10 maybe 15 years ago. It was a 3D PC RPG. IIRC, the box had a skeleton or a skull, now that I think of it maybe a wizard on the cover. I was shit. It played like shit, the story was shit. But I remember it had his name on it obviously to get people lie me to buy it.
Try this thread https://www.resetera.com/threads/games-you-remember-names-you-dont.1239/

That said, I'm pretty sure you are mistaken, and that GRRM had no involvement (beyond being tangentially linked to copyrights stuff for various Game of Thrones games) in video games ever before this one. You might be thinking of a different author.

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
This is basically what I've thought about it. Though, I don't *really* have a huge problem with it, but once you've played a modern FROM game (technically you don't even have to have played one! but it probably goes mostly unnoticed by new players.), you just know that "does not open from this side" == you will be returning here later, and this is the shortcut back.
Not that that's a terrible thing, but I would appreciate it if they kept it vague and mysterious!
I agree completely!

Oct 25, 2017
I think getting rid of the "does not open from this side" prompt is an artificial solution to this. More inventive level design is the real answer.

Instead of just hiding what the purpose of that door is, if it'll come back here or if you'll explore that side later when you find a key, they need more creative shortcuts like the elevator connecting Undead Parish to Firelink Shrine. The way it's not even there but instead leads you to a hidden stash at first, but then becomes that shortcut that blows everyone's mind is so good.

And the "does not open from this side" gates can even be used to great effect when you don't see the shortcut coming, even though you were looking for it. Knowing that gate back in Iosefka's Clinic would eventually open did not prepare anyone for the way we reach it later on.

I wouldn't mind that message being changed to "Locked", but I think it'd be a very cheap solution that doesn't address the real issue, which is is the lack of Firelink Elevator tier shortcuts since Dark Souls 1.

RustyNails

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I hope we see more than just a bullshit teaser like we did for Sekiro for the first time that had people guessing wtf is going on for a year.

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
I think getting rid of the "does not open from this side" prompt is an artificial solution to this. More inventive level design is the real answer.

Instead of just hiding what the purpose of that door is, if it'll come back here or if you'll explore that side later when you find a key, they need more creative shortcuts like the elevator connecting Undead Parish to Firelink Shrine. The way it's not even there but instead leads you to a hidden stash at first, but then becomes that shortcut that blows everyone's mind is so good.

And the "does not open from this side" gates can even be used to great effect when you don't see the shortcut coming, even though you were looking for it. Knowing that gate back in Iosefka's Clinic would eventually open did not prepare anyone for the way we reach it later on.

I wouldn't mind that message being changed to "Locked", but I think it'd be a very cheap solution that doesn't address the real issue, which is is the lack of Firelink Elevator tier shortcuts since Dark Souls 1.
I agree but I also feel that Dark Souls 1's overall world design made this an easier thing to pull off. We had to trade near complete interconnection for larger individual levels. IDK if they could pull it off again without making the connections feel nonsensical. Take a look at the Palace to Shrine shortcut in Sekiro for an example.

Oct 25, 2017
I agree but I also feel that Dark Souls 1's overall world design made this an easier thing to pull off. We had to trade near complete interconnection for larger individual levels. IDK if they could pull it off again without making the connections feel nonsensical. Take a look at the Palace to Shrine shortcut in Sekiro for an example.
Man, if what's keeping us from Dark Souls 1 world design is the size of the levels, I'll make that trade any time.

Dark Souls 3 levels did feel a bit too big at times, imo.

Only Sekiro can't make that trade, because the main character is way too fast and would fly through Lordran in seconds. But for the more grounded games? I'll take that world design any day.

DmckPower

Feb 1, 2018

The biggest reason why exploring Dark Souls 1 feels good is the lack of fast travel.

This is a design choice that FROM has very consistently decided against.

It doesn't matter how good the level design is, if the whole game is broken into bite sized chunks due to checkpoints.

I don't expect them to ever go back to that design either because fast travel is becoming more prevalent with each new game.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This game is going to be so good, I can feel it.

Slime

Oct 25, 2017
So if the Souls games were spiritual successors to King's Field, is this a spiritual successor to Eternal Ring (for some reason)??

It obviously won't be (ER was itself basically a King's Field successor) but I just wanted an excuse for posting this

q63Vgz2.jpg

Ruruja

Oct 25, 2017
So if the Souls games were spiritual successors to King's Field, is this a spiritual successor to Eternal Ring (for some reason)??

It obviously won't be (ER was itself basically a King's Field successor) but I just wanted an excuse for posting this

q63Vgz2.jpg

I really hated that game. Worst game I ever bought.

Status
Not open for further replies.