• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

killuglypop

Jan 9, 2020
Looks great, not gonna moan about cross-gen performance when there's hardly a PS5 in stock. Gatekeeping sucks, this will be my PS4 swan song

Dr. Doom

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Kind of wish From Software did something different to the same boring Soulsborne formula.

Also, this looks pretty bad.

Dec 6, 2017
US
I'll wait for actual official gameplay to form an opinion. This clip looks pretty crappy besides the beautiful skybox to me really. The grass, trees and ground in general look bad. If it wasn't From I'd probably trash this.

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
Everything that follows in your post seems to contradict that, though. Or are you specifically talking about the Xbox One version (which I don't know if we've seen)? What we've been shown from later builds already looks better than Dark Souls 3, and I doubt it was faked.
There is only so much a developer can do to make a next gen version of this look meaningfully better when you are beholden to 10 year old hardware as a baseline.

I understand it will look better, but confuse it for not being obviously cross gen and probably worse than Dark Souls 3 on PC?

But we can gladly revisit this if the PC version miraculously doesn't look like an obvious cross gen game. I'd love to be wrong.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
I understand it will look better, but confuse it for not being obviously cross gen and probably worse than Dark Souls 3 on PC?
Those two statements together would make more sense to me if cross-gen meant with an earlier generation, not the current situation. I would just be very surprised if the game saw a drastic downgrade from the trailers we have seen so far.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
Those two statements together would make more sense to me if cross-gen meant with an earlier generation, not the current situation. I would just be very surprised if the game saw a drastic downgrade from the trailers we have seen so far.
It wouldn't necessarily be a drastic downgrade.
The thing about open-world games is, their visual fidelity is often pretty different from region to region because of lack of attention/resources/time--or the location simply is more performance intensive than the others, so the visuals are worse. Some parts of the game might look like in the trailer, and some parts of the game might look very very rough like in the leaked video. Linear games are usually much more visually consistent than open world ones. Open-world games have to look good from every angle and distance, which isn't easy to accomplish, especially if it's the studio's first attempt at open world.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Reposting for a new day

Jumping
Crafting
Stealth
Improved archery
Horse riding
Horse combat (apparently preferred against bigger enemies)
Open world full of hidden dungeons and npcs that give context on the story
more ending than other souls games some of which are probably influenced by those npcs
Dynamic Weather
Day/Night cycle which changes enemy positions and behavior
Wildlife you can hunt for mats
Skill system that isn't tied to weapons anymore
Largest variety of weapons and armor and probably magic
Roaming enemies as well, colossal monsters in the open world
Massive underground area that interconnects pretty much the whole map

Sounds like enough new stuff to me no?

Nov 1, 2017
Reposting for a new day

Jumping
Crafting
Stealth
Improved archery
Horse riding
more ending than other souls games some of which are probably influenced by those npcs
Dynamic Weather

Nah the walk animation in this leak is recycled, TOO FORMULAIC FROMSOFTWARE IS CREATIVELY BANKRUPT

For real though the largest variety of weapons and armor? Holy shit

Rickert

Jan 13, 2021
Reposting for a new day

Jumping
Crafting
Stealth
Improved archery
Horse riding
Dynamic Weather

Noooo, you rull and attack!!! It's the same game!!!!!!!!

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
I think it looks fine. It's not like a tiny clip that's little more than a GIF is really going to capture the details anyway. Methinks it will look a bit better on a 4K display, even if they don't actually change anything.

serdarkny

Nov 10, 2018
It wouldn't necessarily be a drastic downgrade.
The thing about open-world games is, their visual fidelity is often pretty different from region to region because of lack of attention/resources/time--or the location simply is more performance intensive than the others, so the visuals are worse. Some parts of the game might look like in the trailer, and some parts of the game might look very very rough like in the leaked video. Linear games are usually much more visually consistent than open world ones. Open-world games have to look good from every angle and distance, which isn't easy to accomplish, especially if it's the studio's first attempt at open world.
On top of all that, the leak takes place in the middle of the day under bright sunlight which makes lack of detail stick out even more.

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
The disconnect here is that you seem to think the trailers we have seen look good, visually, whereas I think they look pretty middling and very much like a last gen game visually…this gameplay just being a continuation of that sense.

Like I said, I'm still day one, just wish that I didn't have to wait til probably 2026 to see a true Elden Ring that is next gen.

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
Fromsoft loves bullshots. Here's some from before DS3 released.
Dark-Souls-III-Screenshot-3.jpg

137249-games-review-dark-souls-3-review-image1-t9o4hek6l3.jpg

dark-souls-3-screenshot-2.jpg

? That's what Dark Souls III looks like. Actually it looks better than that on PC. Or is that your point? It's hard to detect sarcasm in this thread with so many terrible takes. Like this one:

The funny part of this list is that it's got Ubisoft formula written all over it, I heard that's "wearing thin" though.

bob1001

▲ Legend ▲
May 7, 2020
I get this is Xbox one and developer mode, and From, but this is pretty bad.

Im not expecting Demons Souls, but this looks like a downgrade from Dark Souls 3, which was one of my fear's with this being cross gen(other being the old hardware would hold back creative ideas).

I'll play anything Miyazaki and From puts out, some I'm there day one, but doesn't stop me from being a bit disappointed visually.

What were you expecting tho? I agree that in an ideal world all FromSoft games would be comparable to Demons Souls graphically, that would be great. But there's been nothing to suggest that this game would have anywhere near that kind of fidelity. If you're dissapointed in that aspect of the game then your expectations are unreasonable tbh.

Not only that, but this video is not going to be representative of the full game.

It has to run on the same hardware as Dark Souls 3, while having a larger scale due to being open world. It's 3 months away from release, running on the weakest hardware they'll have to target, on developer mode and the leaker mentioned that some video quality was lost due to their recording technique.

It won't be some amazing blow-your-mind game graphically, but like most FromSoft games it will probably be servicable. Chill out, save the dissapointment for when something of substance shows something worth being dissapointed in.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Not impressed by the visuals, when I saw the grass and ground textures I was actually surprised... I get that this is an open world game and all, but this just looks like a PS4 game to me

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
The disconnect here is that you seem to think the trailers we have seen look good, visually, whereas I think they look pretty middling and very much like a last gen game visually…this gameplay just being a continuation of that sense.
Well, I'm not going to expect anyone to automatically think it looks impressive or anything like that. I just haven't seen anything that looks worse than what I experienced in Dark Souls 3 on PC.

? That's what Dark Souls III looks like. Actually it looks better than that on PC. Or is that your point? It's hard to detect sarcasm in this thread with so many terrible takes. Like this one:
100% sarcastic.

KingBae

Oct 28, 2017
let's see it.

Edit: At this point if we combined all the Berserk references in all the Souls games we would have 1 solid berserk game. Someone just please give Miyazaki the rights and let him finally do it.

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
Not impressed by the visuals, when I saw the grass and ground textures I was actually surprised... I get that this is an open world game and all, but this just looks like a PS4 game to me

I mean that's literally what it is, the game will run better at higher resolutions on PS5 and Xbox Series consoles but it won't all of sudden becomes a next gen game.

From Software has always been somewhat technically behind while elevating their games visuals through the art on display so seeing some rough stuff around the edges shouldn't be surprising for what will be their very first open world game.

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
What do you mean its unreasonable to compare a game with a large scope by a smaller studio with shorter turn arounds than most bigger games and outdated tech to studios that spend 7 years working on a single game with hundreds of people and significantly more resources at their disposal?
Fwiw I'm hyped as hell for Elden Ring and this clip only got me more hyped knowing the context (should be amazing in 4K at high framerates maxed out on PC). That said, I disagree that comparing it to other AAA games is unreasonable. If it's being marketed like a AAA game (i.e., priced the same as AAA games), comparisons regarding fidelity, game length, innovation, etc., are fair game from a buyer perspective.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
best piece of info is that this game uses the superior dark souls 2 idle pose when holding the sword

tsmbzej0s0u71.png

look at how much more natural it looks not to be awkwardly pointing the sword up to the sky

bob1001

▲ Legend ▲
May 7, 2020

Bear in mind: 3 months out from release, running on Xbox One (weakest console the game will be targetting), some settings might be toned down because the video is from a game test, the original leaker said the footage lost some quality due to the recording technique they used. It's definitely not representative of the final product.

Youtube link

YT link might get taken down, the video on Jeff Grubb's twitter hasn't been taken down yet so I'm gonna post that too

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
I mean that's literally what it is, the game will run better at higher resolutions on PS5 and Xbox Series consoles but it won't all of sudden becomes a next gen game.

From Software has always been somewhat technically behind while elevating their games visuals through the art on display so seeing some rough stuff around the edges shouldn't be surprising for what will be their very first open world game.
Idk if I fully agree with their games being technically behind, but I do agree that their visual direction tends to elevate their games. That being said, seeing how the game is open world, and everything from that hill looked so barren, I hope this game isn't just a huge long empty field for you to go from "dungeon" to "dungeon". If that is the case, I'd much rather they cut off the open world and took us directly to the well crafted levels that they are well known for being good at. And heck, with all the extra resources they have, push the technology for those.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
Posting to see the footage.

Edit: yep thats some alpha footage of a Dark Souls boy.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
It was obvious from the trailer but the trailer was nicely cut between slow walking and combat action to really let it sink in, but returning to Souls style movement is such a step back. With Sekiro we have concrete evidence that From can do better but this design choice in an open world game is hella disappointing.

wonkybump

Apr 29, 2020
This could be the dumbest move I've ever seen to drive some attention to a blog. This dude is in for a rough Monday at work tomorrow.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
The haters are crazy

Post covid cross gen game that began development forever ago

Shit most people cant even get PS5s right now.

Sorry but the wait for games development to catch up to the bar you are setting is still a long ways out

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I just want to play it and hope the open world doesn't ruin everything. I'm fine with DS3 levels of visuals in 4K and 60FPS.
The only thing I'm afraid of is the non linear structure of the game. So many games were ruined with repetitive and boring content in open worlds. That would break my heart.