• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ChitonIV

Nov 14, 2021
Im intrigued, how do you do this?
Registry key to change AMD's shader cache behavior.

Open the start menu and search 'regedit'. Run it as administrator.

Find this path in the registry:

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0001\UMD

With the UMD folder highlighted, look for "ShaderCache".

open it and I changed it to "32 00".

31 00 = Amd Optimized
30 00= Off
32 00= Alternate Shader Cache behavior from the default "31 00". I have only seen it described as "on".

Anyway, made a drastic difference for me and smoothed out most of the stutter associated with caching shaders.

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
Ok I can't believe this. So I was playing with my 360 controller and since it started drifting, I switched to my DS4 controller. Performance instantly shot up from around 45 fps to nearly 60 fps. It was the problem all along. What in the world... I can barely believe this.

BuBu Jenkins

Oct 27, 2017
Any way to play the game at 1620p or 1800p? 4K struggles to hold 60fps on my 3080 with everything maxed out once out of limgrave and drops to the low 50's and when in heavily forested areas and foggy areas. 1400p is rock solid 100% but i'd like and option higher than it but less than 4k.

AliGalactic

Oct 27, 2017

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0001\UMD

31 00 = Amd Optimized
30 00= Off
32 00= Alternate Shader Cache behavior from the default "31 00". I have only seen it described as "on".

Anyway, made a drastic difference for me and smoothed out most of the stutter associated with caching shaders.

interesting, I don't have any key entry for ShaderCache in my registry. Huh.

Rewind

Oct 27, 2017
Any way to play the game at 1620p or 1800p? 4K struggles to hold 60fps on my 3080 with everything maxed out once out of limgrave and drops to the low 50's and when in heavily forested areas and foggy areas. 1400p is rock solid 100% but i'd like and option higher than it but less than 4k.
Special k in boderless let's me pick 1800p.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
Been playing at Max settings 1440p since launch and I still get some stuttering, but it honestly feels like it's gotten alot better. The only setting that I changed that may have helped was the NVidia Shader Cache. Not sure if I'm just getting to the point where there isn't anything left to cache or what, but it's feels pretty damn good 99% of the time.

3700X
RTX 3070

Freshmaker

Oct 28, 2017
Generally feels pretty good til you hit new areas I think.

Getting trapped in volcano hole was extra hellish tonight tho. Gotta do precise platforming? Ok *lurch*

ChitonIV

Nov 14, 2021
interesting, I don't have any key entry for ShaderCache in my registry. Huh.
When you get to this part of the registry path .......0001\UMD

try looking through a different numbered folder to find UMD. The reddit post I originally got this from, had their UMD folder inside of 0000. It probably differs slightly per system. even if you also have a 6600 xt.

You have registry keys for shader cache. you just gotta find them. dig around a bit.

Jhey Cyphre

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't run into anything game breaking. The pause/skip issue is pretty infrequent and I can play for hours without seeing it. Stutters are there, but my g-sync monitor is smoothing them over.

The biggest issue I see is that performance is shit in general. Like, a lot of areas just run at 45 Fps for no reason. Also big bosses tend to make the FPS dive as well.

Not sure what they will do to improve this.

5800x/3080 RTX.

ditusjack

Oct 26, 2017
Haven't run into anything game breaking. The pause/skip issue is pretty infrequent and I can play for hours without seeing it. Stutters are there, but my g-sync monitor is smoothing them over.

The biggest issue I see is that performance is shit in general. Like, a lot of areas just run at 45 Fps for no reason. Also big bosses tend to make the FPS dive as well.

Not sure what they will do to improve this.

5800x/3080 RTX.

Same thing here, that's why i just ended up locking the FPS to 40.
Tired to try resolution variations or settings optimizations, with a 40fps lock the frame time graph on Afterburner is a smooth line that only varies on loading screens and i'm running the game at 3440x1440 on maximum.
There is a place to test the performance that is perfect, the Church of Elleh, that is the first one after you go out in the open world, the one with Kalé the first vendor with the Santa like costume.
Just go there and turn your camera this way:

Performance-Tanking-View.png

When i do that my FPS tanks 15 to 20 fps from 60, tried everything, could mitigate this performance hit to at least 50, but that means the game would be running with fluctuating FPS even with lower resolution than my monitor and ugly graphics.

Nah 40fps lock it is.

10700k/3060 Ti RTX.

Naru

May 11, 2019
Same thing here, that's why i just ended up locking the FPS to 40.
Tired to try resolution variations or settings optimizations, with a 40fps lock the frame time graph on Afterburner is a smooth line that only varies on loading screens and i'm running the game at 3440x1440 on maximum.
There is a place to test the performance that is perfect, the Church of Elleh, that is the first one after you go out in the open world, the one with Kalé the first vendor with the Santa like costume.
Just go there and turn your camera this way:

Performance-Tanking-View.png

When i do that my FPS tanks 15 to 20 fps from 60, tried everything, could mitigate this performance hit to at least 50, but that means the game would be running with fluctuating FPS even with lower resolution than my monitor and ugly graphics.

Nah 40fps lock it is.

10700k/3060 Ti RTX.
Something ain't right. I have 42-ish fps with the same resolution/settings there and my Vega 56 is way slower than your 3060Ti. This is also one of the few spots where fps are below 50 fps for me.

Yudoken

Jun 7, 2019
Sooooo, what you should do, is capture the game on the PC which you are using to play.

It's either record and stream via Shadowplay (best performance but less options) or OBS (tons of options but bigger performance hit).

The gpu can hold most of the time 4k/60 but some places with a lot of foliage (e. g. when you are at the uni and teleport to the forest area) the shadow option has to be lowered to high for significant better performance.

No other option has significantly lowered the fps hit specifically there in my testing. That area is the most demanding place in the game in my 40 hours.
Oh and also when the big flowers exhales his pores the drops can be felt and it might help to lower particle effects too.

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
Ok I can't believe this. So I was playing with my 360 controller and since it started drifting, I switched to my DS4 controller. Performance instantly shot up from around 45 fps to nearly 60 fps. It was the problem all along. What in the world... I can barely believe this.
Turning off steam overlay damn near fixed every single problem I had from the freezing, huge stutters, slowdowns speed ups, etc. Way more than any other game I've ever played

Janus

Oct 18, 2020
Man, I hope From Soft is pushing out the patch soon. And hopefully it alleviates some major PC issues.

It's sad to see a great game creating a subpar experience due to tech issues.

AirDrive

Feb 2, 2022

31 00 = Amd Optimized
30 00= Off

Thanks for this. It actually worked on my 5700 xt. I have no stutters anymore!

Pharaoh

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Man, looking at this thread I'm glad I've decided to keep my PS5 for a few more months and wait for the next GPU series.

tok9

Prophet of Truth
Nov 2, 2017
I initially only put an hour or so into this on launch day and stopped due to stuttering and still playing Forbidden West. Since I beat Forbidden West, I've gone back and sunk in 18 hours or so now.

To no surprise the stutter is still there and it's really frustrating at times. The only good thing is it hasn't been at the absolute worst times, maybe once or twice during a fight.

I'm on a 1080 and playing on a 1440p monitor, put everything to medium settings basically and mostly getting 60fps.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
Man, looking at this thread I'm glad I've decided to keep my PS5 for a few more months and wait for the next GPU series.
Why? I'm on a 3080 and have zero issues that impact my enjoyment of the game. It has crashed once in 50+ hours. The PS5 version runs badly and have other issues too.

www.resetera.com

Elden Ring's constant crashing and progression loss on PS5 is unacceptable

Before any of you come in with "well, its not happened to me and I have a million hours in the game already" I will vaporize you on the spot just stop. It is affecting quite a few people (myself included obviously), look it up. So I've been trying to play the game since I got it on launch and...

Pharaoh

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Why? I'm on a 3080 and have zero issues that impact my enjoyment of the game. It has crashed once in 50+ hours. The PS5 version runs badly and have other issues too.

www.resetera.com

Elden Ring's constant crashing and progression loss on PS5 is unacceptable

Before any of you come in with "well, its not happened to me and I have a million hours in the game already" I will vaporize you on the spot just stop. It is affecting quite a few people (myself included obviously), look it up. So I've been trying to play the game since I got it on launch and...

Well, I'm having zero issues with the PS5 version, so...

Kaiken

Oct 25, 2017
So is this an instance where the engine they use is just not going to work properly on PC? Is the stuttering even possible to fix? I'm not trying to use someone elses patch or go through all of these ridiculous steps to maybe get a marginally better performance. More power to those that have but man. What's going on, From?

Reektan

Oct 30, 2017
Just incase it helps anyone. I played this day 1 and also for a week or so on an i7 6700k with 16gb ram and a 3080FE Windows 10 and a standard NVME SSD. I would get the little pauses now and then but also I would see the FPS fluctuate between 47-59fps with gsync and this was running at 4k all Max and HDR. Dropping to 1440p etc still had the same issues.

I thought my CPU was a bit long in the tooth so I just built a 5900x 32gb ram and Windows 10 and a gen 4 NVME ssd. Downloaded Elden Ring again on Steam, changed no settings etc - just turned gsync and vsync on as normal in the nvidia panel.

I just picked up on my save I was using testing on the older machine on tree sentinel and it was 59fps locked - I was pulling him up the hill into the wooded bit, spinning the camera. No drops at all just a constant fluid 59. Went to Margit - again nothing will have been compiled in shaders etc and did that fight first go and it was 59fps constantly with zero locking up or anything. Went to storm hill etc and the water area and it was just constant 59fps.

I mean its too late now as im 40 hours into the PS5 version but at least I know!

The performance is night and day here.

Last edited:

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
So is this an instance where the engine they use is just not going to work properly on PC? Is the stuttering even possible to fix? I'm not trying to use someone elses patch or go through all of these ridiculous steps to maybe get a marginally better performance. More power to those that have but man. What's going on, From?
Until the impliment a solution for all the shader loading stutters the game will never run properly on PC.

trashbandit

Dec 19, 2019
It can "work properly", but really that's on FROM to make it happen. Afaik, fan patches aren't going to be able to do anything about shader compilation issues, which right now comprises the bulk to this game's technical issues.

hannuraina

Prophet of Truth
Jan 7, 2018
32gb ram. 3080. 8700k. gsync. running medium@1440p(!)

wild stutters still after 20 hours and ive just been running around limgrave. ive tried setting unlimited shader cache and framecap to 58/59, nothing. oh well ill eventually adjust to it (maybe). excited for next patch

dsk1210

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh UK
The game has been running well for me almost since the start, there was the odd occasional shader caching stutter when I first started playing but it's pretty damn silky 99.8% of the time.

I can't see how the ps5 version could be better when floating between 60-45fps.

3080 12700k Nvme 16gb

GreySquirrel

Oct 27, 2017
Here's me still wondering when ray tracing etc will be implemented 😂 I have enough games to play so I will await at least a decent PC patch

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
Has anyone lost their save without prompt from Steam Cloud to do anything?

I played a little bit on Saturday, it did a backup then.
I played 4 hours on Sunday, it didn't do a backup then.
I had to format the PC to reinstall Windows and I trusted that, as the saturday save, the sunday save had been backed up, but I've lost my Sunday ours and basically all the progress on the Liurnia lakes.
Never at any point Steam Cloud asked me anything (only when I first bought the game since I had first played a pirated version because I don't trust FromSoft games on PC) about saves, choosing a version, etc.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017

31 00 = Amd Optimized
30 00= Off

ShaderCache is missing under 0000/UMD with no 0001 on my end

ChitonIV

Nov 14, 2021

31 00 = Amd Optimized
30 00= Off

If you can't find the reg key here or by going back one or two folders and digging around, you can try RadeonMod. It automatically finds the entries for you.
www.guru3d.com

RadeonMod Download

Download RadeonMod (previously known as AMD Registry Editor). This is an application that allows you to edit registry values for AMD GPU's.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018

31 00 = Amd Optimized
30 00= Off

How would this change anything unless its buggy by default and is not storing shaders at all on AMD GPUs? Shaders still have to be built once.

manupa14

Mar 8, 2022

Enable nvidia image scaling on nvidia control panel and it will create several resolutions. Set the resolution in game and tweak the sharpness with alt+F3 (ansel overlay).

Aditionally, you can create custom resolutions too. On a 4k monitor it will create 1836p or so, but if you want exactly 1800p you can create it yourself

Snagret

Oct 25, 2017
How it runs on a 1070? Can I expect a 1080p@60fps ?
I'm on a 1660 which isn't too far off. I was able to get mostly 60fps at 1080p after playing around with some of the settings, starting at High and dropping down from there. The biggest improvements for me were turning down Grass and Shadow Quality. Some people say they get weird flickering at anything less than maximum on shadows but for whatever reason I actually get less shimmering on medium and the game runs waaaaay smoother with them turned down.

ChitonIV

Nov 14, 2021
How would this change anything unless its buggy by default and is not storing shaders at all on AMD GPUs? Shaders still have to be built once.
I don't know exactly. But, I have seen a post suggesting that the default "amd optimized" setting means that shader cache is off, unless AMD specifically has a driver profile for the game which you are are running.

It could also be that AMD Optimized has some form of shader cache active, but maybe limited. Kind of like how Nvidia's driver limits the cache size unless you set it to unlimited.

Regardless, changing the registry key made a huge difference for me in Elden Ring, with my RX 6600 XT.

It might get reset after the next amd driver release. I will check.

Last edited:

Ostinatto

Oct 30, 2017
It seems there are multiples ways to unlock framerate, what would be the best one from an inter i9 cpu and nvidia card?

Oct 26, 2017
I know I have a high end PC, so I don't want this to be one of those posts that is like "Oh wow my High end PC works great in this game! Crazy!" But I've had a 99% flawless time with Elden Ring, if I didn't know about the stutter thing before I would have never thought this PC version even had any issues whatsoever compared to past titles. I've been to a lot of different places all over the open world as well. 3080 / 5800x / 32gbs. Never did anything with the game or used any programs to cap framerate or anything like that.

ChitonIV

Nov 14, 2021
It's a 6700XT on the latest driver
I suppose it's possible that your specific hardware and OS resulted in the reg keys being placed in a different spot.

But if you can't find them and are experiencing a lot of stutter in ER: I would try Display Driver Uninstaller and doing a new install of the AMD drivers.