• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nicko

Oct 25, 2017
Just got access yesterday, yet didn't receive an email. If you're still waiting to get in, just try opening the game!

So far I have been having quite a lot of fun with the game! It reminds me of a Diablo lite dungeon crawler in the ES universe. Haven't had too much trouble with the chest timers, as they sort of perfectly line up with my game time these days (play in short bursts, multiple hours between playing).

Quite enjoyed the controls, although I wish they had separate X/Y invert for portrait mode vs landscape. Been going back and forth between playing in the two styles.

Pretty impressed with the level of polish here. Way above standard mobile game cash grabs.

Deleted member 9479

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just got access yesterday, yet didn't receive an email. If you're still waiting to get in, just try opening the game!

So far I have been having quite a lot of fun with the game! It reminds me of a Diablo lite dungeon crawler in the ES universe. Haven't had too much trouble with the chest timers, as they sort of perfectly line up with my game time these days (play in short bursts, multiple hours between playing).

Quite enjoyed the controls, although I wish they had separate X/Y invert for portrait mode vs landscape. Been going back and forth between playing in the two styles.

Pretty impressed with the level of polish here. Way above standard mobile game cash grabs.

Tried. Still not in. /sigh

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Graphically the game is pretty good for a mobile game, but the amount of timers on everything you do is very annoying. Having to repair equipment like Oblivion under a timer/pay to repair is the most mobile thing I could imagine them doing back when Oblivion was released.

Overall all the missions feel slow, generic, and samey with little to no diversity. I keep misclicking on the map or get stuck behind a wall because of how fidgety the movement can be. Not to mention double (or quadruple) clicking to speak to NPC's because I'm trying to click on something else or trying to move away from them. Which is very annoying. The game doesn't feel generous unlike a few good mobile games out there. I can't see myself continue to play unless they tone down on the timers, allow me to perform more actions like unlocking all my chests at once and not one at a time. Rework the speed and efficiency of their fetch quests and offer more material specific quests that can be taken at any time.

The game really doesn't have much to go off on right now. I'd love if they had more written story quests like an actual Elder Scrolls game, tie in the gods and daedric, and so on. Still its early access and it's not fair to judge until its official release (which will still probably be exactly how it is in early release but a few small bugs and changes worked out). Overall, I say this game could be ready for release in it's current state, but it would be a terrible mobile game I'd never be able to recommend to anyone.

Feb 10, 2018
Graphically the game is pretty good for a mobile game, but the amount of timers on everything you do is very annoying. Having to repair equipment like Oblivion under a timer/pay to repair is the most mobile thing I could imagine them doing back when Oblivion was released.

Overall all the missions feel slow, generic, and samey with little to no diversity. I keep misclicking on the map or get stuck behind a wall because of how fidgety the movement can be. Not to mention double (or quadruple) clicking to speak to NPC's because I'm trying to click on something else or trying to move away from them. Which is very annoying. The game doesn't feel generous unlike a few good mobile games out there. I can't see myself continue to play unless they tone down on the timers, allow me to perform more actions like unlocking all my chests at once and not one at a time. Rework the speed and efficiency of their fetch quests and offer more material specific quests that can be taken at any time.

The game really doesn't have much to go off on right now. I'd love if they had more written story quests like an actual Elder Scrolls game, tie in the gods and daedric, and so on. Still its early access and it's not fair to judge until its official release (which will still probably be exactly how it is in early release but a few small bugs and changes worked out). Overall, I say this game could be ready for release in it's current state, but it would be a terrible mobile game I'd never be able to recommend to anyone.
Pretty much how I feel.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Can we just get an Elder Scrolls version of Fallout Shelter when we build up Vivec style city instead of a vault?

Blades is okay but yeah too many timers, combat is weird and bith styles of movement feel
Off.

Thizzles

Banned
Feb 9, 2019
This game is awful. Its like bethesda is actively encouraging you to not play the game. The timers are everywhere and ridiculous. The quests suck and the dungeons more or less all feel the same. The story quests are given out sparingly and every time ive gotten one i havent been leveled/geared to do them. Plus even when you do them theyre short and barely progress whats passing for a story in this game. But the chests are what really bother me. I have 19 silver chests and can only unlock 1 at a time every 3 hours. At this rate ill never unlock them all. This game is gonna flop hard and never shouldve been made

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
I'm having an OK time with this. It's mostly a good time waster for me.

Buy holy shit fuck Cave Trolls. Those things eat me UP. Level 14 with relatively decent gear. I can see where there will be value in having different gear and skills available for situations, but they'll need to implement loadouts.

Also, the timers on chests needs to be tweaked and they need to allow the trashing of chests, too.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
For some reason Youtube recommended this video to me

That's a hard pass, this monetization model has to die. Simple as that.

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
These games are pretty much worthless cash grabs 100% of the time on mobile. They're blatantly trying to squeeze you for cash before their inevitable downfall, because at their core the driving force isn't art or fun but capitalism and profits.

Nicko

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with some of the sentiment here that the timers need to be reduced and more mechanic variety added to the missions, but in terms of actual enjoyment, I can't agree.

So far, I've had quite a lot of fun playing this. Compared to other mobile games, I actually see myself sticking with this for a while.

Chests haven't been a nuisance to me so far. I just make sure to always have a silver chest running.

I only have time to play in short bursts every few hours, so this game sort of works perfectly for me. I like the feeling that something is happening (chest unlock) when I'm not playing as well.

Maybe I'm the target audience for this game. These days I rarely have time to sit down and play a more fleshed out rpg like Skyrim, so this has been a nice alternative.

I'm having significant flash backs to playing Diablo as a teen. Simple mechanics that allow you to easily jump in and grab some loot. Maybe this feeling wont stick long term, but for now, I am looking forward to jumping back in.

Dellstrami

Feb 1, 2018
The game itself looks really nice but it feels really annoying to play. The timers, obviously, but I really don't like how it plays. Looking around, moving and interacting all feels really clunky. I probably won't play much more of it.

Perzeval

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Hmm, it seems this game has adaptive difficulty. I have this one main quest (talk to the blood something queen) I'm struggling with it and failed 2 times now. I'm sure it had 3 skull difficulty before but it has dropped to 2 skulls now. Can someone confirm this?

Edit: Or maybe it was a rebalance through an update?

Last edited:

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
This fucking game. I've had the game since the minute it became available and I still haven't been able to play it. It just says turn your notifications on

alundra311

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah they don't explain it at all so I was wondering if I was missing something. I did the same thing as you but I'm using slow axes and maces so the window is really wide between attacks

Combos are documented in the help screen.

Basically you do it by attacking the enemy on one side and immediately attack on the other side. Rinse and repeat.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
It's possible even with slow weapons. Just alternate between 2 fingers (playing landscape mode) and start charging up one attack immediately after you let go with the other. For higher combos (like 4x or 5x) it helps if the weapon is lower damage like 1 handed weapons cause usually a 2 handed weapon will kill anything in 2 or 3 hits
Yeah, this worked. It also kinda trivialises the combat further, which wasn't really that difficult to begin with

Combos are documented in the help screen.

Basically you do it by attacking the enemy on one side and immediately attack on the other side. Rinse and repeat.
I never even knew that help thing existed

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I haven't played much yet, but I don't think this game is very good. There isn't much to the gameplay and the timers combined with the monetization suuuuuuck. Just feels like a soulless Skinner box with the minimum amount of gameplay to go through as an Elder Scrolls thing.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
What level were you when that difficulty wall hit?

The level 14+ quests get tough. Also around Abyss 16-17. But crafting new gear and enchanting it with additional health and tempering has made a big difference.

You need absorb and the two dodge skills to make solid progress early on. Abyss grinding is also a good way to get mats and gold. But I really wish they would rejig the timers on the crates. Wood should be zero seconds. Silver should really be like an hour, 90 minutes max. Golds should probably drop to 3 hours. The two above it (I think legendary and elder?) are fine I guess. Or let us queue up one of every chest so you aren't always waiting for nothing.

qatak

Oct 27, 2017
i've been playing the last few days. i feel like it's just about everything I dislike about mobile game economies paired with garbage controls and extremely boring combat. will likely delete tonight and never revisit.

Daitokuji

Oct 27, 2017
I played it a bit...it mostly feels like every other mobile game on the market but with an Elder Scrolls skin. All these games have the same core gameplay loop: grindy and repetitive tasks to complete, timers to open loot boxes, daily quests, ever increasing requirements to level up items/buildings, etc.

Playing this just makes me want to play a real elder scrolls game, rather than a gimped mobile version.

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
I played a bit yesterday and this game seems ok. I'm just hoping there's enough unique missions where you're not doing the same thing over and over.

friz898

Oct 27, 2017
Florida Panhandle
I played it a bit...it mostly feels like every other mobile game on the market but with an Elder Scrolls skin. All these games have the same core gameplay loop: grindy and repetitive tasks to complete, timers to open loot boxes, daily quests, ever increasing requirements to level up items/buildings, etc.

Playing this just makes me want to play a real elder scrolls game, rather than a gimped mobile version.

I'm quoting/replying to you, not to debate, but to point out how I'm part of the problem.

I posted in a thread not too long ago about how Mobile gaming is now my favorite, and my ps4 and gaming pc had been collecting dust (finally gave it to my 14yo around Christmas) because all my time goes to FF Record Keeper, Dissidia Opera Omnia, a little "battle game", and now trying out this ES Blades.

My point is, I havent made time for this game yet to try it out, and part of me almost wants it to suck because I feel like I have no time for it, but then you said it's like every other mobile game, and I'm like "fuck ya!"...but then you describe how the game plays, and to any sane person, that sounds very shitty, but for me I'm like "Cool, ok, It sounds good!" -- Isn't that crazy?

Last edited:

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
I tend to enjoy these games for a few hours and then forgot about them because of the the timers. I played a little of Blades and it seems like this won't be any different. When I'm playing it is fun, it's just those pesky timers are roadblocks.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
I've been playing for two days and it just makes me want to play a real Elder Scrolls.

I hope they at least make the timers for silver chests shorter or make them drop more rarely.

Topper

Oct 27, 2017
I've been playing this the past couple days, I enjoy it for what it was but as everyone else said the timers on everything is a downer. Increasing chest storage capacity alleviates it a bit but it's still annoying when I stack up a bunch of the 5 second chests and can't open them for 3+ hours.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
TBH, I've grown to like the hold-controls. It makes you commit to your moves more and you don't have to move your thumbs as much as if you were swiping.

There is a pretty decent mobile title here, buried under the omnipresent timers and boneheadedly flawed progression. I hope they don't cheap out on the content getting added over time, and keep improving things.

Oct 27, 2017
Quests are incredibly unfair as you get higher level in the game. I'm level 17 doing a 3 star quest and no joke there are 30 plus enemies in this dungeon. No amount of still is going to prevent them from hitting you.

Later on unless you spend a lot of money (like $5 plus a day) you are not getting anywhere. Forget chests you need dozens of health potions per dungeon or 6+ revival scrolls.

I'm done with this game until they do a complete overhaul. Unreal how much of a cash grab this is.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
Quests are incredibly unfair as you get higher level in the game. I'm level 17 doing a 3 star quest and no joke there are 30 plus enemies in this dungeon. No amount of still is going to prevent them from hitting you.

Later on unless you spend a lot of money (like $5 plus a day) you are not getting anywhere. Forget chests you need dozens of health potions per dungeon or 6+ revival scrolls.

I'm done with this game until they do a complete overhaul. Unreal how much of a cash grab this is.
I'm level 18 and I don't find this to be the case at all, I almost never use potions or scrolls of revival. I'm curious what is your gear? At level 17 I had all Orcish and I didn't spend any money.

Some general tips for people.
-Always carry different weapons (1, heavy, 1 light) heavy two handed weapons work great against trolls, bears. If a weapon breaks during a quest it'll only do 1 damage and then you'd have to abandon if you don't have a backup.
-Buy chest slots with gems early
-Commit to one armor type, salvage its type and sell the opposite for gold.
-Start and abandon quests that have rewards you don't need, better yet play through the quest before completion and collect the two wooden chests, then abandon. I do this to get more building material rewards from the repopulated quest list.
-When completing jobs maximize the resources in the dungeon, if there's still unexplored rooms explore and collect everything. Pottery and whatnot usually only carries only one material, but this could help in the long run.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I'm level 18 and I don't find this to be the case at all, I almost never use potions or scrolls of revival. I'm curious what is your gear? At level 17 I have all Orcish and I didn't spend any money.

Some general tips for people.
-Always carry different weapons (1, heavy, 1 light) heavy two handed weapons work great against trolls, bears. If a weapon breaks during a quest it'll only do 1 damage and then you'd have to abandon if you don't have a backup.
-Buy chest slots with gems early
-Commit to one armor type, salvage its type and sell the opposite for gold.
-Start and abandon quests that have rewards you don't need, better yet play through the quest before completion and collect the two wooden chests, then abandon. I do this to get more building material rewards from the repopulated quest list.

Thanks those are really useful tips. I think I was just frustrated last night. I'll take a look at my equipment and make adjustments.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
I gave it a few days and I can't see myself playing long term. In fact, the past two days, I log on to grab my free store items and check out my 3 hour chests.

Then I click "Unlock" for the next chest I have and log off until the next day.

The P2W wall hits you right away. I'm only level 8 and I'm already blocked out of progression due to the lack of gems I can find on my own without paying for them.

Without gems, you sit on a pile of locked chests that take 3 to 6 hours to unlock. You get most of your weapons, armor and building/crafting mats in chests, so without gems, you wait. And wait. And wait.

Time-gates are awful in games and when you build around those to make money off a store, it's too much.

Could be a great mobile ES game, but P2W kills it for me.