• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
Why do you think microsoft paid 7 billion for those IPs? Lol

Raigor

May 14, 2020
There's no way the rest of the IPs, all the tech, the studios and the staff was only $500m more

Like, no way lol.

MS either made the biggest deal of all time or this figure is wrong, i just can't believe it.

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PREY, Dishonored, and DEATHLOOP estimated (by me) to be worth a combined $451 million.

No, I will never pass up a good opportunity to make a dumb 0451 joke. Mods will have to ban me if they want me to stop!

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
It's easily believable, considering that Skyrim alone has probably made around $2B in revenue by now.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
To me that just looks like a post by the security lead at Bethesda stating the value based on MS' purchase price? I'd also say that it's likely referring to all Bethesda titles, not just those three series.

Elog

Oct 21, 2020
I think Timur222 needs to read up on how goodwill arise on the balance sheet of a Company. It is worth exactly that number because MS paid that amount. I.e. it is a circular reference and as long as there has been no new negative information MS does not have to conduct an impairment test to verify that amount through any type of bottom-up analysis.

In financial terms Timur222 is saying the same thing as 'MS paid 7bn USD for Bethesda Zenimax' which we already know.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
There's no way the rest of the IPs, all the tech, the studios and the staff was only $500m more

Like, no way lol.

MS either made the biggest deal of all time or this figure is wrong, i just can't believe it.
The acquisition was a huge steal for MS, that's kind of a fact. How big of a steal is the question.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I think Timur222 needs to read up on how goodwill arise on the balance sheet of a Company. It is worth exactly that number because MS paid that amount. I.e. it is a circular reference and as long as there has been no new negative information MS does not have to conduct an impairment test to verify that amount through any type of bottom-up analysis.

In financial terms Timur222 is saying the same thing as 'MS paid 7bn USD for Bethesda Zenimax' which we already know.
They paid 7.5b

Elog

Oct 21, 2020
Yes - and then you deduct the computers, office furniture, real estate etc from that amount and get to intangible assets, i.e. intellectual property. That is the delta between physical/tangible assets and amount paid. So my point is that Timur222 is basically saying that water is wet.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Yes - and then you deduct the computers, office furniture, real estate etc from that amount and get to intangible assets, i.e. intellectual property. That is the delta between physical and value paid. So my point is that Timur222 is basically saying that water is wet.
Could be yeah
Btw Timur isnt saying that. :)

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville

Like, no way lol.

Staff and studios have real expenses and can be replaced, IP cannot. Big IP is worth a ton, everything else is just the stuff around it, the cost of doing business and bringing in the revenue from the big IP.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
He's saying that their assets are worth over $7 billion, which we all learned when MS bought them for over $7 billion.

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
Im praying Microsoft starts devolpment of a new Fallout immediately, and doubles the staff for Elder Scrolls. I dont want to wait 10 years for either.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
TES universe would make for amazing movies and television.

Surprised it hasn't happened yet. So many septims on the table.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
Now imagine the deal of the lifetime Disney got for buying Star Wars at $4 billion or Marvel at $4 billion as well (though I guess Marvel might have been riskier considering the state before the MCU really expanded under them). Both are worth magnitudes more than Bethesda.

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
This isn't a remotely accurate assessment, outside of the fact that Bethesda was bought for $7.5B and owns those IP.
  • This guy is a systems security analyst looking to make his resume seems more impressive. He doesn't have any special insight into what value would/should be placed on those IP.
  • A huge part of what MS is buying in the Zenimax acquisition is workforce-in-place, a goodwill-flavored "asset" that describes the value of essentially snapping your fingers and having ten studios with a demonstrated history of producing critically acclaimed / financially successful games up-and-running. The kind of stable of teams that would take Microsoft the better part of half a decade to build otherwise. If MS could have done exactly the same deal, but with the Doom/Fallout/Elder Scrolls IP stripped out at half the price, they'd have done it in an instant.
I'm not saying those aren't valuable IP, but we're going off the LinkedIn resume of some guy who knows as little about the formal valuation of those IP as anyone here.

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
Bethesda/Zenimax has way more games than those 3 franchises but it's definitely believable. That said this is just a random LinkedIn and the guy is clearly using the Microsoft acquisition numbers.

Oct 27, 2017
You guys realize that's a job opening at Bethesda, right? They probably just valued themselves at what MS paid for them. That's it

Jimmy1984

Banned
May 19, 2018
MS could win this generation with Bethesda. 7,5 bilions are not too much, now. I can't realize why many people and media are thinking to PlayStation version of those IP.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
I mean, its easy to update the valuation to that when MS disclosed last year they were paying $7.5 billion lol

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
Im praying Microsoft starts devolpment of a new Fallout immediately, and doubles the staff for Elder Scrolls. I dont want to wait 10 years for either.

Even better... they own Obsidian too... get Obsidian to make the next Fallout *Grin* (Yes, I want a New Vegas 2 damnit... or even just a Fallout in the Western US with the better focus on RPG Obsidian gives it and a story revolving around the whole area and the politics of hte people in rather than revolving around your character).

Guymelef

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
This isn't a remotely accurate assessment, outside of the fact that Bethesda was bought for $7.5B and owns those IP.
  • This guy is a systems security analyst looking to make his resume seems more impressive. He doesn't have any special insight into what value would/should be placed on those IP.
  • A huge part of what MS is buying in the Zenimax acquisition is workforce-in-place, a goodwill-flavored "asset" that describes the value of essentially snapping your fingers and having ten studios with a demonstrated history of producing critically acclaimed / financially successful games up-and-running. The kind of stable of teams that would take Microsoft the better part of half a decade to build otherwise. If MS could have done exactly the same deal, but with the Doom/Fallout/Elder Scrolls IP stripped out at half the price, they'd have done it in an instant.
I'm not saying those aren't valuable IP, but we're going off the LinkedIn resume of some guy who knows as little about the formal valuation of those IP as anyone here.

Basically this.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Threads get closed off tweet speculation and this is going off a LinkedIn bio? Really? Fabtacular basically sums it up and this thread should prob just be locked. This isn't really news or even a rumor.

Jan 4, 2018

Fallout: New Vegas remake with the cut content, new engine and FO4 QOL (sprint, gunplay)
Fallout 5 (New York please)
Fallout: Los Angeles (FNV planed sequel a decade ago)
Fallout 1&2 remakes (or a new entry) built with the Wasteland 3 engine

There is no time to lose.

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
Despite how "gamers/posters on message boards" feel about those IP's, they're bigger than exclusive IP's.

MS really got a steak of a deal. It's a purchase that only they could make too.