• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Strakt

Oct 27, 2017
3b8f32e065c5aa96624ab51685d31160f145d415.png

Zenimax Online has revealed to USG that following the release of Elder Scrolls Online: Elsweyr on PC, Xbox One, and PlayStation 4, it has reached 13.5 million lifetime players. That's 2.5 million new players in a single year, up from the 11 million announced during Bethesda's E3 2018 presentation. Bethesda stresses that this number does not count free trials, but does count those who play on Xbox Game Pass.

"It seems like ever since our One Tamriel update back in 2016, which leveled out the leveling curve and let everyone play with everyone else, that's when the game really started taking off," Elder Scrolls Online game director Matt Firor tells USG. "We did have a pretty hefty explosion of player from [late December 2018] through [February 2019] that took us off-guard. We didn't know we were going to be that popular, which is a great problem to have."

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I keep telling myself I ought to jump in and play but it seems so intimidating to do it now.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
It's a good ass MMO. Especially for those like myself who don't have the time to organize with other players and just wants to jump in by their self. This thing really has come a long way.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
I definitely seem to be hearing about the game more and more over the last year.

One day I'll give it a shot.

Altera

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Is the base game worth it or will I be missing out on something if I don't buy expansions at the same time?

Seeing as it's on sale right now I'm willing to give it a shot.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
Can I buy only the last expansion or need everything? How is it for play solo?

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
Is the base game worth it or will I be missing out on something if I don't buy expansions at the same time?

Seeing as it's on sale right now I'm willing to give it a shot.
Base game is alright, all of the DLC is better from dungeons to overland content. The game gets better and better. At least in my opinion there have been no missteps in added content where something is worse.

OP
OP
Strakt

Strakt

Oct 27, 2017

you can play like 90% of things solo ; if you buy the latest expansion (chapter), it includes all previous chapters. smaller story DLCs unlock with a $15 subscription or you can buy em separately

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
Good for them. One of the better turnarounds we've seen in a game for a long time. I tried to get into it as a longtime TES player since Daggerfall, but MMOs are just not for me.

Altera

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Base game is alright, all of the DLC is better from dungeons to overland content. The game gets better and better. At least in my opinion there have been no missteps in added content where something is worse.
Is that content I wouldn't be able to access until I got through the base game content anyway or will I be missing out on not having the expansions at the beginning?

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017

I leveled a Warden a few months ago just doing the Summerset content. So I basically played a single player rpg for about 30 hours doing the Summerset expansion with that new character. And then I jumped off again, I was "good" until elswyer came out. It's one of the best things, everything scales so you can level whereever you want, even with a level 1 character.

One of these days ill do Morrowind when im in the mood again.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
After a poor launch and not a lot of QoL things, the game has really changed a lot since launch. I play it on and off on Xbox and there are always a ton of people on. Even in obscure out of the way places I find people running around. They have been great and providing new content and expansions and the game has really been great.

Moose

Oct 25, 2017
Is that content I wouldn't be able to access until I got through the base game content anyway or will I be missing out on not having the expansions at the beginning?
It's not a theme park MMO where you are restricted, it's more snadbox-like where you can go into whatever zone you like. Obviously there's a correct order to approach things for faction quest lines and some of the DLC chapters have an overall arc too, but you can access what ever zone you like. As for dungeons, the DLC dungeons are much harder so those should only be done at higher levels.

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
One of the best MMOs ever. Have almost 4000 hours playtime on PS4 and was EU #1 on the leaderboards in raids like vAS. Sadly I gave up on it due to it being equivalent to a full time job. It's still worth it for solo or role players since you can always play at your own pace. PvP is also very active.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
it's a really fun game, I play it casually when I take a few days break of EVE Online, I just love questing most of all (and do some vet dungeons/trials now and then with my alliance mates from EVE), because it's not traditional MMORPG questing, and it's voice acted. It's just a really fun game esp. if you're a fan of TES.

Bunga

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Sort of in two minds about trying this. I've been watching the WoW Classic streams and getting excited about maybe playing that again in August but I've also started playing SWTOR recently too and I dunno whether to continue with that.

I've got the MMORPG itch basically but not sure what to scratch it with!

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Elder Scrolls Online's success and improvements are a big part of why I have faith in 76 moving forward.
This is Zenimax Online, a studio that specializes in MMOs/live service games.

The Fallout 76 team has zero experience in live services games. I wouldn't look at this and assume it means good things for the future of Fallout 76.

Gero

Oct 28, 2017

The Fallout 76 team has zero experience in live services games. I wouldn't look at this and assume it means good things for the future of Fallout 76.

HDR is pretty terrible. Overblown colors and thats is.

fenners

Oct 27, 2017

Bethesda Game Studios Austin was founded by a number of people from Bioware Austin with history of online games going back to Star Wars Galaxies.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
Sort of in two minds about trying this. I've been watching the WoW Classic streams and getting excited about maybe playing that again in August but I've also started playing SWTOR recently too and I dunno whether to continue with that.

I've got the MMORPG itch basically but not sure what to scratch it with!

WoW and SWtoR are the classic experience with SWtoR having really great class story. TESO's combat takes adjusting to if you're used to standard Tab to Target;Hotkey stuff. TESO's combat just isn't for me.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
game used to be shit on so much back when i played it. loved it but it was a "dozens of us!" kind of deal

bittersweet to see it doing so well, don't really have time to mess with it these days

Moose

Oct 25, 2017
Combat still sucks. That is why i cant get into it at all
Combat is serviceable but not great. I don't think it sucks although there's definite room for improvement, ZOS just got a new combat designer. The game shines mechanically in dungeons and trials where bar rotation and attack weaving come into play, but I wouldn't fault someone for never getting to that point.

Moose

Oct 25, 2017
How many are ACTIVE players though? That's the real question.
It's the second most active MMO behind WoW. I think Final Fantasy is also around it as well, probably depends on time of year. It's also divided per platform. I hope they can add crossplay once the new consoles hit.

NaturalHigh

Oct 27, 2017
I just bought it yesterday on Steam (Base game was down to $10). Gonna try it out later today actually.

Twstr709

Oct 27, 2017
Having no subs helps a lot. I jump back into it every few updates to see what I missed.

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
It's the second most active MMO behind WoW. I think Final Fantasy is also around it as well, probably depends on time of year. It's also divided per platform. I hope they can add crossplay once the new consoles hit.
FFXIV reached more than 14 mln players last year.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't hurt that it goes on sale every other week and makes it easy to get all the relevant content