• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Vonnegut

Banned
May 27, 2018
I started playing Skyrim again recently because I wanted to be ready for ES6. Then I read that ES6 is perhaps 5 years off because Bethesda wants to wait for new tech to be ready before developing the game.

I'm pretty bummed by this.

What new tech could they be waiting on? All I want them to do is improve graphics, animations, physics, diversity of objects and NPCs, writing (dialogue), quest structure, and weather effects.

As far as I'm concerned, technology has advanced to the point to make massive improvements possible in all the areas I just listed.

Bethesda has the money (Skyrim sold 30+ million copies).

And it's been 8 years, already. Do they really need a decade and a half to produce a sequel?

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
They take (alot) of time to make and they decided to make other games first.

Nothing you can do about it sadly. Very long wait indeed.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They just want to utilise next generation power and abilities, you should be excited they'd do that over releasing another, similar looking Scrolls this gen.

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
Thats all just side talk. Theyre not making it because they wanted to make a new ip first, and dont want any other stuudos touching ES. Techs irrelevant.

Do you really think if Starfield didn't happen they'd be twiddling their thumbs waiting for tech? Nah.

Personablue

Feb 10, 2019
I really want to like TES games but the character models are too repulsive. Hope they change that for the next installment

Woylie

May 9, 2018
Wasn't there some interview where they said it hadn't even started development yet?

It's gonna be a while. Try to look forward to Starfield in the meantime.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Yeah, I started a new playthrough of Skyrim again last month, with all the bells and whistles of mods. Though tbh, visually the SE version is not that bad. But mods can help refresh the game with new gameplay modifications and such.

Remember

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Chicago, IL United States
-They're working with an archaic engine.
-You're going to be waiting longer than 5 years.
-I hope you aren't planning to quit games at age 35.
-All of those fixes you want are more work than you think, especially with that engine.
-Yes, technology has advanced, but they are having trouble keeping up with said engine
-It's not that they need a decade or longer to make a new one, it's that they are using those resources on other Franchises. Please see: Fallout 4 and Starfield.
-Feel free to look forward to Starfield in the next 5 years, not Elder Scrolls 6
-Take a look at Elder Scrolls Blades, which is made on a different engine and is a callback to Elder Scrolls 1
-Feel free to look forward to Starfield in the next 5 years
-Check out Doom 2 or any projects from Bethesda that don't have to do with Bethesda Game Studios
-Feel free to look forward to Starfield
-You won't be seeing ES6 anytime soon, so look forward to Starfield and check out Fallout 4.

Valdega

Banned
Sep 7, 2018
Elder Scrolls, Fallout and Starfield are all developed by the same team. They already made Fallout 4 and are now working on Starfield. Starfield likely won't come out until 2020 and it takes them about 4-5 years to develop each game, so 2025 makes perfect sense for ES6.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Amazing it's been 8 years BGS launched Skyrim

Nothing they've done has interested me in that time

If ES6 is another 5 years out, that's 13 years potentially in releasing a product I'll buy and enjoy

That's bonkers

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
I'd rather they take their time and make something decent rather than puling off a new 76 quality crap.

the lizard

Nov 1, 2017
That's about how long it'll take them to perfect their online-only infrastructure that they tested the waters with in Fallout 76...

plié

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
And it's been 8 years, already. Do they really need a decade and a half to produce a sequel?
People want it to be bigger, better and the whole shazaam. In this day and age, that takes a lot of time + they have had releases in between and Skyrim is still a seller.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Remember Bethesda was working on a lot of other games. They probably didnt even start production until recently. They probably thought Elder Scrolls Online was enough to entice fans for years. (Which was my greatest fear when they announced and released that game).

I'm definitely picking up the glitch filled mess the game will be at launch. I love the world and gameplay of the games.

But I agree Bethesda probably should had started on this game years ago.

Barkspawn

Oct 27, 2017
I wish they would let another studio like Obsidian take a crack at it.(Although I suppose Obsidian is too busy with Outer Worlds)

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
We have 4-5 years minimum before we can expect it. Better get comfortable. We got a very long while to go still.

Cincaid

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
I'm with you OP. Skyrim, Oblivion and Morrowind are some of my all-time favorites. And I feel that BGS have been on a somewhat downward slope since Skyrim. I enjoyed Fallout 4, but in no way did it have the same impact as their previous titles had. And we all know how well Fallout 76 went for them.

I think that we'll just have to try and be patient and hopefully Starfield will fill the void in-between. Also, after Fallout 76 it wouldn't surprise me if they went through even longer development periods to make sure they don't repeat that mistake, even if they internally probably blame their newly opened Austin studio. I still don't know how involved their main studio in Maryland was in that mess (even if their pre-marketing made it sound like "all hands on deck").

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
I really really really struggle to understand Bethesda, they got a gold mine in their hands, Skyrim must be by far their most successful games, it's been criticized to death for its countless problems, yet people love it. And here we are, 8 years after its release we just learned that a new ES is coming but we will have to wait. And in between they have been doing one bad move after another. It doesn't make any sense.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Starfield will be out in the next year or two, so I'm not too bummed by the long wait for TES 6.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Judging by FO4, '76, and the "effort" into SE, I think I'm actually good with modded up Morrowind and Skyrim.

I think they struck while the iron was hot in the mid to late 2000s and now that iron has cooled and they're just not on the curve anymore.

Others are stepping up and stepping in.

I would love to be wowed though, but given the pattern of their releases for the past 15 years, I'm not holding my breath.

Coxy

Oct 28, 2017
Whilst I don't quite agree with the OPs reasoning - I do agree it's a shame that we're waiting so long between Skyrim and the sequel - elder scrolls is my favourite series so I wish it wasn't so long between titles.

OP
OP
Vonnegut

Vonnegut

Banned
May 27, 2018

After 8 years, some of the things I mentioned should come naturally, right? Better graphics (textures, lighting, etc), weather effects, physics, and animations (facial, movement, combat, etc.) would be easy to pull off considering that Skyrim came out 8 years ago and the engine they used for Skyrim was already old in 2011.

Also, when they released Skyrim, we were in the 360/PS3 gen.

PC gaming tech has evolved and so has console tech. Should we not expect a new ES for the XB1/PS4 gen?

Oct 25, 2017
It's kind of odd to see that in the time between ES5 and 6, CD Projekt has released The Witcher 3 and will probably realese Cyberpunk 2077. And this seems to be the first gen without a new Elder Scrolls game.
I hope they are using the time to buff their engine.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
It's ok for me to wait this much, I like the idea that the next in the series will be something big and new.
But I also really miss the series... I hope the fact that is not rushed at all, will give us something special (I dont believe they are not working on it at all)

Joffy

Oct 30, 2017
I really want to like TES games but the character models are too repulsive. Hope they change that for the next installment
They really are. I gave it a pass up to oblivion but by the time skyrim rolled around I'd had enough.

Sake goes for a lot of the world design to, aspects of which have been left in the past long ago

Remember

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Chicago, IL United States
After 8 years, some of the things I mentioned should come naturally, right? Better graphics (textures, lighting, etc), weather effects, physics, and animations (facial, movement, combat, etc.) would be easy to pull off considering that Skyrim came out 8 years ago and the engine they used for Skyrim was already old in 2011.

Going by your post, the video game industry still does a terrible job at telling the public just how difficult, time consuming, and complicated developing a big game can be.

I blame publishers for this.

WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH 35!

3047.jpg

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
All I want them to do is improve graphics, animations, physics, diversity of objects and NPCs, writing (dialogue), quest structure, and weather effects.
They will barely improve any of that and you still gonna love it.

PC gaming tech has evolved and so has console tech. Should we not expect a new ES for the XB1/PS4 gen?
That would be the expected outcome but obviously they decide to skip this gen.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Not trying to be a downer OP but the wait might be even longer. Bethesda could be reassessing everything after the Fallout 76 debacle.

Mington

Banned for use of alt account
Banned
Dec 22, 2018
Elder Scrolls is a $1bn+ IP and Bethesda would rather release flop after flop then make new games in the series.

Whoever is running the show at Zenimax needs the chop

El Mariachi

Oct 31, 2017
Austria
Really don't get why Bethesda is taking so long with this. Baffles my mind that we got 2 proper TES + Fallout 3 last gen and basically no Bethesda RPG this gen (Fallout 4 was more or less cross gen). Like, what the hell is taking them so long? Todd ain't getting younger either and if he continues to make games in this pace he has like 2 more left in his career.

I fully understand not wanting to shove out sequels every year but a full scale RPG (weather Fallout 4 or TES or whatever) every 2-3 years should be in the books. Not just for the fans but also from the dev perspective.