• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Vonnegut

Vonnegut

Banned
May 27, 2018
Going by your post, the video game industry still does a terrible job at telling the public just how difficult, time consuming, and complicated developing a big game can be.

I blame publishers for this.

Rockstar made Red Dead Redemption 2 and it looks amazing compared to Skyrim. Bethesda has made a lot of money from Skyrim, so I don't think they have financial difficulties.

But they have chosen to stick with, from my understanding, a heavily modified version of the Gamebryo engine.

Maybe it's taking a long time because perhaps they are building a new engine from scratch.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
They'll have some convincing to do, I think. Not seeing TESVI for another 4-5 years, honestly.
By then, I'll be 45, so...

OP
OP
Vonnegut

Vonnegut

Banned
May 27, 2018
It's kind of odd to see that in the time between ES5 and 6, CD Projekt has released The Witcher 3 and will probably realese Cyberpunk 2077. And this seems to be the first gen without a new Elder Scrolls game.
I hope they are using the time to buff their engine.

I just read on Wikipedia that CD Projekt Red has about 800 employees while Bethesda has about 400. But since both companies are publishers as well as developers, I don't know how many core developers each company has.

GalmLikePalm

Nov 29, 2017
What new tech could they be waiting on? All I want them to do is improve graphics, animations, physics, diversity of objects and NPCs, writing (dialogue), quest structure, and weather effects.

I want a TV show where they take people that say things like this and put them in front of a computer with all the necessary tools and say "Alright you do it".

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
I'm over 35 so I could go any day

I'm more interested in Skywind and Skyblivion just because they're closer as well as the other big mods out there.

I want to be pumped for VI but will wait until we start seeing stuff because games that huge take forever these days

Avantgarde

Oct 27, 2017
Bethesda has the money (Skyrim sold 30+ million copies).
I'm not sure this is how it works, the profits from Skyrim may have been pocketed long time ago by the private investors. Since they don't seem willing to reinvest some of that money in a new engine, it's pretty clear to me they want to keep the status quo: maximum profit with minimum investment, it worked well until Fallout 76 happened. Now that Fallout 76 failed its purpose to print money, BGS might also have a harder time than before to pitch a high buget for a game.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Not trying to be a downer OP but the wait might be even longer. Bethesda could be reassessing everything after the Fallout 76 debacle.

They better be. The Elders Scroll is their legacy. They are who they are because of it. They can't fuck it up.

76 was a huge blow to them but if they manage to fumble on TES 6, they are done. It will be game over. Nobody will try any new game of theirs. And i hope they are already reassessing stuff for Starfield because they need to drastically up their work for future titles.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
Kinda nuts that Bethesda and Rockstar basically skipped this generation for their biggest franchises and still made bank with remasters from last generation.

Jun 20, 2018
Games take so long these days, that if a dev has more than a couple of IP they want to keep working on, you're going to see some series miss out on a generation entirely. By the time GTA 6 is out, we could be very close to GTA V being a decade old.

Oblivion and Skyrim were two of my favourite games last gen, but the news they're sticking with the same engine has killed a lot of my excitement for the next one.

Oct 30, 2017
I still can't believe they announced TESVI when it's still in pre production phase... we won't see it till late 2023 or early 2024 at earliest.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Modders are here for you OP!

Beyond Skyrim is a massive multi-team mod project that opens the borders and brings Skyrim's neighboring provinces to life. No longer will you be turned back at the borders of Skyrim, but you can travel onwards to the lands beyond.

Cyrodiil's team is furthest along in development, with the Bruma pre-release available on PC and Xbox right now, larger in size and with more content than the official Solstheim DLC. Here's an 8 minute recent dev diary covering progress from all the teams (Cyrodiil, Morrowind, High Rock, Hammerfell, Elsweyr, Blackmarsh, Roscrea, and Atmora):

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
I'm not sure that telling the devs who just put 76 out that they should rush to make a game your excited for is a great idea.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
after Fallout 4 i'm puzzled over anybody wanting BGS to shove ES6 out the door. i mean, i liked Fallout 4, but the engine is nowhere near suited for a Skyrim follow-up. unless we got Skyrim 1.5 essentially

Hanbei

Nov 11, 2017
Trust me OP, when you reach the venerable age of 35 years old, you'll still feel young.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
You'll be thirty-five by the time they finish squashing its bugs and making it actually playable.

Not giving Bethesda Game Studios another dime for a game until they prove they can put out something that isn't riddled with problems.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Wasn't the majority of the game developed by Bethesda Austin while the main team worked on starfield? Not really 4 years wasted...

That's the impression I got.

I can't see BGS not trying to get another game out this generation after launching Skyrim late in the PS360 era worked out so well for them. I also don't see why they would have logodropped Starfield at E3 2018 if it was, like, a 2022 title. But then again, they did the same for TES VI…

…really, I'm not sure why they did a lot of the things they did last year. If they really did take a "big BGS single-player game" slot and make a second Fallout in a row, and a weird multiplayer one at that, that just seems like a bizarre choice to me. If you're trying to juggle three universes with a single team, you don't make two games in a row for one.

I hope FO76 was an Austin side-project, for Bethesda's sake.

Oct 25, 2017
Did you play Enderal already, OP? I'll finally start it this year, maybe even this month. Really looking forward to it. I love Skyrim, one of the popular opinions I have that make me an outsider around here.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone actually trust Bethesda to make a good game, by 2022 standards?

They would need to completely overhaul their studio philosophy. Maybe Fallout 76 was the shock they needed to actually improve? But I can already foresee TES6 having the exact same bugs as Skyrim.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
They just want to utilise next generation power and abilities, you should be excited they'd do that over releasing another, similar looking Scrolls this gen.

Not everyone cares that much about graphics. Considering Skyrim still sells and keeps getting ported then a ES6 with ps4 graphics would've been perfectly ok.

It's the only IP from them that i care about, i really don't want to wait that long.

Oct 29, 2017
I never understood people who say they need to be won over after 76. 76 is a completely different spin-off, which is not going to affect ES. It's pure crap, but we also saw that coming from miles. It was a low-effort game, which ES is not going to be.

This is the dream for Bethesda. People are worrying about it being like 76, which is absolutely isn't going to be, Bethesda knows this too, and then they are going to get away with crap writing and simplifications again, which is going to have a much bigger impact on the series. 76 will be long forgotten by the time ES6 arrives.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After the debacle that is F76, I am not jumping into any BGS game right away. Bethesda has lost so much credibility in my mind that I have severe reservations about Starfield and ESVI. As for new tech...they need to replace and or fix so so much.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Fallout Vegas was somewhat derivative of Fallout 3 and was pretty good.

I don't understand the reluctance to release a derivative sequel to Skyrim. Give me Skyrim+ in a new location with a shit ton of single player content.

Wolfgunblood

Dec 1, 2017
The Land
I still play Skyrim, Oblivion, Morrowind, Fallout 4, 3 and New Vegas all the time. I take solace knowing that it will be added to the list of BGS games I'll be playing forever.

F76 doesn't mean anything for their next games, why would anyone think that.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
This new gen game is going to take a while to develop, so you have to wait. you'd be lucky if you get it before 35. haha!

lowmelody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While I share your burning desire for more Elder Scrolls, I'm happy that they're taking their time and waiting for tech to catch up to the ambition and potential the series always had. ES6 should be something very special.

I'm personally hoping for a sweet confluence of mature VR hardware (varifocal , foveated rendering, glove controller etc.)and ES6 that will blow minds out of the galaxy.

I'm perched for that future.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
I hope FO76 was an Austin side-project, for Bethesda's sake.

I have a feeling they were expecting it to be their tentpole for 2-3 years.

I never understood people who say they need to be won over after 76. 76 is a completely different spin-off, which is not going to affect ES. It's pure crap, but we also saw that coming from miles. It was a low-effort game, which ES is not going to be.

This is the dream for Bethesda. People are worrying about it being like 76, which is absolutely isn't going to be, Bethesda knows this too, and then they are going to get away with crap writing and simplifications again, which is going to have a much bigger impact on the series. 76 will be long forgotten by the time ES6 arrives.

"We knew it was going to be crap" is not an excuse to release a garbage game for $60. The people behind The Elder Scrolls tried to exploit Fallout fans, and that's indefensible.

And you're right, Starfield is coming before TES6. Their entire marketing campaign will be overshadowed by the spectre of FO76. Pete Hines' credibility has been ruined, and Todd Howard has been a no-show since last E3.

If they save their image with Starfield, TES6 will be smooth sailing.

Wolfgunblood

Dec 1, 2017
The Land
"We knew it was going to be crap" is not an excuse to release a garbage game for $60. The people behind The Elder Scrolls tried to exploit Fallout fans, and that's indefensible.

And you're right, Starfield is coming before TES6. Their entire marketing campaign will be overshadowed by the spectre of FO76. Pete Hines' credibility has been ruined, and Todd Howard has been a no-show since last E3.

If they save their image with Starfield, TES6 will be smooth sailing.

Is this the new meme post thing, like the Japanese culture one?

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I hope they keep waiting. Maybe time make all us wiser to understand there are more important things than our present desires.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
-They're working with an archaic engine.
-You're going to be waiting longer than 5 years.
-I hope you aren't planning to quit games at age 35.
-All of those fixes you want are more work than you think, especially with that engine.
-Yes, technology has advanced, but they are having trouble keeping up with said engine
-It's not that they need a decade or longer to make a new one, it's that they are using those resources on other Franchises. Please see: Fallout 4 and Starfield.
-Feel free to look forward to Starfield in the next 5 years, not Elder Scrolls 6
-Take a look at Elder Scrolls Blades, which is made on a different engine and is a callback to Elder Scrolls 1
-Feel free to look forward to Starfield in the next 5 years
-Check out Doom 2 or any projects from Bethesda that don't have to do with Bethesda Game Studios
-Feel free to look forward to Starfield
-You won't be seeing ES6 anytime soon, so look forward to Starfield and check out Fallout 4.
Why don't they change the engine? It's been a decade they should have done it and they are still gonna use an upgraded version of their old engine. Why not learn a new engine even if it take 1-2 year to learn it properly...

Corsick

Oct 27, 2017
Why don't they change the engine? It's been a decade they should have done it and they are still gonna use an upgraded version of their old engine. Why not learn a new engine even if it take 1-2 year to learn it properly...
For right or wrong, BGS has certain design goals and objectives that they will not budge from. The creation engine is the best tool for them to use based on how they want to create open worlds. The more important question is how hard will they work on the renderer, scripting etc to overhaul it. If they don't try and borderline gut the engine to suit the more power they'll have with next generation consoles, then what's the point?

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
I'm 31 now so I can resonate very well with this thread! :D

I think Fallout 76 was a big mistake, not only because of the quality of the game but also because it was developed right after Fallout 4. Bethesda should have jumped to Starfield instead, with TES VI next in line. The other reason why TES VI will be developed later, though, is Elder Scrolls Online. And OP, you should give this game a try. It has been massively improved, can feel like a singleplayer experience in many ways, and offers many interesting regions - even now including Morrowind, of course.

Also keep yourself busy with content mods to Skyrim (they really change up the experience in a great way!) and the Enderal total conversion.

All of this is not TES VI, but you will feel better about it all if you give this a try :-)