• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Vonnegut

Vonnegut

Banned
May 27, 2018
Modders are here for you OP!

Beyond Skyrim is a massive multi-team mod project that opens the borders and brings Skyrim's neighboring provinces to life. No longer will you be turned back at the borders of Skyrim, but you can travel onwards to the lands beyond.

Cyrodiil's team is furthest along in development, with the Bruma pre-release available on PC and Xbox right now, larger in size and with more content than the official Solstheim DLC. Here's an 8 minute recent dev diary covering progress from all the teams (Cyrodiil, Morrowind, High Rock, Hammerfell, Elsweyr, Blackmarsh, Roscrea, and Atmora):

Wow. This is fantastic. Thank you for sharing!

Stuggatz

Jun 6, 2018
Seriously, I got back into Skyrim a month ago after a five year absence and the mod support is jaw-dropping. I have a link saved on my other computer that I should post here; it's a comprehensive breakdown and mini-review of dozens of content mods. Enough content to keep me playing for months. And it's just going to keep growing until TES 6 drops.

Incidentally, I played through Undeath and Falskaar as a necromancer and 4+ skelebros hanging around at all times. I even gained the power to turn into a lich at will. It's fucking crazy.

And I highly, highly recommend playing Vigilant at least to the end of chapter 3. Things happen that you would never expect in a TES game (such as honest-to-god awesome boss fights).

I also suggest trying a melee character with mods that make it feel like Dark Souls (TK Dodge, Critical Hit and Mortal enemies).

Last edited:

water_wendi

Oct 25, 2017
Modders are here for you OP!

Beyond Skyrim is a massive multi-team mod project that opens the borders and brings Skyrim's neighboring provinces to life. No longer will you be turned back at the borders of Skyrim, but you can travel onwards to the lands beyond.

Cyrodiil's team is furthest along in development, with the Bruma pre-release available on PC and Xbox right now, larger in size and with more content than the official Solstheim DLC. Here's an 8 minute recent dev diary covering progress from all the teams (Cyrodiil, Morrowind, High Rock, Hammerfell, Elsweyr, Blackmarsh, Roscrea, and Atmora):

The mod community is making sequels for Bethesda now lol

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
I'll be 37 so....I don't empathize with your position. I say let em take as long as they need to deliver a good experience, there's plenty of great games to play in the mean time.

Prison_mike

Oct 26, 2017
Seeing as the series has gotten continually worse, I don't have much hope for the next ES, which breaks my heart because its one of my favorite games to get lost in the lore and immersion.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
This, it's crazy to me that this goldmine IP is being allowed to sit on the shelf for ~15 years.
Yup.

Any competent dev would be making new games every 5 years.

With the guilds as well Bethesda have spin offs that can made into different genres
Elder Scrolls Online is a thing, and it's making them money as much as Skyrim, possibly even more. The game had 10 million players (which means unit sold as it's not F2P) in 2017, dunno about today. The fact that they keep making new expansions means that the game is doing pretty well and making money for them.

Stuggatz

Jun 6, 2018
Seeing as the series has gotten continually worse, I don't have much hope for the next ES, which breaks my heart because its one of my favorite games to get lost in the lore and immersion.
"Continually worse"? So if you had to choose between Arena and Skyrim you'd go with Arena?

To be clear, this is Arena:

TopherDL

Oct 25, 2017
I had the same thought a couple of days ago. I might be a different person or dead by the time it comes out lol. It'd be cool if Bethesda was still officially supporting Skyrim, treating it like a platform rather than an iterative sequel by releasing official expansions for it every so often.

FWIW, I'm still having plenty fun with my Dawnguard build.

Prison_mike

Oct 26, 2017
"Continually worse"? So if you had to choose between Arena and Skyrim you'd go with Arena?

To be clear, this is Arena:

Although I love Daggerfall and Arena and have them both on my macbook, I wasn't really comparing those. I meant from Morrowwind on and yes I would say Skyrim was the weakest of the those 3. I just did not appreciate the dumbing down, in all aspects.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
plenty of good games will be released in the meantime so don't worry about ES6...Half Life 3 might come out within 5 years

Arthoneceron

Oct 27, 2017
Minas Gerais, Brazil
Now, if Starfield turn itself into a bomba (which, after 76, can be anything, from selling "just" five or so milions to having a failed marketplace inside their game) will Bethesda Game Studios ever recover from this?

I mean, in the narrative part, people already have The Witcher 3. From the open world and innovative approach from the overworld, people already have Zelda: Breath of the Wild. And even in the combat part, people already have Soulsbourne.

What Elder Scrolls could have to beat this games above? I mean, if they only consider lore, I doubt that anyone care about Decumus Scotti, CHIM or even the Landfall theory.

Deleted member 4413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They should have had an outside studio do a New Vegas style TES game. It's irresponsible to let your biggest IP go so long like this. Can you imagine the outrage if Rockstar came out and said "No GTA6 for 15 years". There would be an uproar and fans would rightly be upset.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
It'll be a long time until we get ES:6 (I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see it released for 6 more years) but it's such an important franchise that I want it to come out later rather than sooner.

The type of game BGS has been making needs overhauls in almost every single area of game design to catch up to what's expected of modern open world games. The next Elder Scrolls needs to be set in a massive open world with cities 3 to 5 times larger than what was in Skyrim, NPC density and animations need to be increased and overhauled, loading screens need to be dramatically cutback, etc.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
They should have had an outside studio do a New Vegas style TES game. It's irresponsible to let your biggest IP go so long like this. Can you imagine the outrage if Rockstar came out and said "No GTA6 for 15 years". There would be an uproar and fans would rightly be upset.
GTAV released in 2013. GTAVI will probably release 10 or more years after that.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Isnt Starsky or w/e it's called next on their books anyways? At the very least we'll have their next new big RPG title that will likely look better than Fallout 4 at least. And next ES will look better than that.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Games take way too long to make now-a-days :(

No they don't. Poorly managed game projects just flounder for a long time. Ubi reinvented Assassin's Creed in the span of three years. Huge games are routinely made in 2-3 year development cycles. You don't get a 7-10 year dev cycle without a whole lot of scrapping, rebooting, and confusion. And in the end, 8 years from now, I'm sure Elder Scrolls VI will be a slightly prettier Skyrim and that's about all.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Although I love Daggerfall and Arena and have them both on my macbook, I wasn't really comparing those. I meant from Morrowwind on and yes I would say Skyrim was the weakest of the those 3. I just did not appreciate the dumbing down, in all aspects.
Morrowwind is hot garbage. Like, I never got the praise for that shitty dice rolling action game. The moment I couldn't physically hit an enemy even though they covered the screen because of some DND shit, I gave up. Morrowwind would be a good game if the combat wasn't the worst fucking thing since the meteor took out the dinosaurs.

Prison_mike

Oct 26, 2017
Morrowwind is hot garbage. Like, I never got the praise for that shitty dice rolling action game. The moment I couldn't physically hit an enemy even though they covered the screen because of some DND shit, I gave up. Morrowwind would be a good game if the combat wasn't the worst fucking thing since the meteor took out the dinosaurs.

Totally hear you about the combat, its truly awful. It's the everything but the combat. The story, the lore, the side quests, the world building from simple details. I love the book series and the lore that extends from previous games about events hundreds of years prior to anything weve ever even seen.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
No they don't. Poorly managed game projects just flounder for a long time. Ubi reinvented Assassin's Creed in the span of three years. Huge games are routinely made in 2-3 year development cycles. You don't get a 7-10 year dev cycle without a whole lot of scrapping, rebooting, and confusion. And in the end, 8 years from now, I'm sure Elder Scrolls VI will be a slightly prettier Skyrim and that's about all.
There is likely a lot of truth there. But I don't believe that every great AAA game takes 2-3 years. God of War, RDR2, Cyberpunk, The Witcher 3 - those all were likely worked on for at least 4 years. That still feels like a long time. Considering we used to get something like Final Fantasy every 2 years.