• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Soi-Fong

Oct 29, 2017
Illinois
Any Tesla owners here trying out the free FSD trial?

I have over 300 miles driven on FSD v12.3.3 so far and I'm dumbfounded by how good it drives. In 300+ miles in a mix of country roads, towns, and highways, I've only had three times where I took over, and honestly two of them was more due to me being nervous, I think the car would have done fine if I had let it. The other time I took over because it entered a roundabout in the wrong lane, but its also navigated other roundabouts over a dozen times absolutely perfectly. I also disengaged a few times for courtesy stuff like letting other drivers in front of me at stop signs, but nothing the car did wrong.

It does drive slower than I'd like sometimes, like its an old man afraid of the gas pedal, but for the most part its been fantastic.

Its unreal how good it is. I really didn't expect it to be THIS good. 🤔

I'm excited to get the trial. My car is on 2024.8.4 and I believe the updated FSD is on 2024.3.10, so Tesla needs to port it over to the .8.X branch. Hopefully, I'm still able to get the full trial lol

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
Welp, I bought a used Tesla Model 3. Got lucky and managed to find a former rental that wasn't completely beat up, it's a 2022 short range with the lfp pack. Unfortunately, despite the dealership carrying about 90% of the used Teslas in my area, they didn't have a mobile charger adapter. It made for an interesting stop at a supercharger; since the ownership transfer hasn't gone through yet plug and charge didn't work, and the app wouldn't even admit there was a charger there. Turns out it was a V2 supercharger, I'm going to try a V3 today since the app will let me charge random cars on it. I had to sit for an hour on an L2 charger last night to try and get a little bit in.

The infotainment still has Disney+. I'm going to be sad when it updates, aren't I?

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
Welp, I bought a used Tesla Model 3. Got lucky and managed to find a former rental that wasn't completely beat up, it's a 2022 short range with the lfp pack. Unfortunately, despite the dealership carrying about 90% of the used Teslas in my area, they didn't have a mobile charger adapter. It made for an interesting stop at a supercharger; since the ownership transfer hasn't gone through yet plug and charge didn't work, and the app wouldn't even admit there was a charger there. Turns out it was a V2 supercharger, I'm going to try a V3 today since the app will let me charge random cars on it. I had to sit for an hour on an L2 charger last night to try and get a little bit in.

The infotainment still has Disney+. I'm going to be sad when it updates, aren't I?
It only left due to a software bug awhile ago. It's still accessible.

Raftina

Jun 27, 2020
electrek.co

CATL launches new EV battery with close to a 1 million mile, 15-year lifespan

Leading EV battery maker CATL released its new breakthrough battery pack with up to a nearly 1 million mile (1.5...

CATL launched the battery pack with Yutung Bus Co to power commercial vehicles like buses and different classes of trucks.

Yutong, one of China's largest bus makers, said the new battery packs will be used in upcoming electric vehicles. According to the company, the new long-lasting EV battery has zero degradation through the first 1,000 cycles.

The new EV battery pack, made with CATL, has a 932,000 mile (1.5 million km), 15-year warranty. Yutong calls the long-life battery an industry first.

But this could change faster than we thought. The world's largest maker of batteries for electric cars, China's CATL, claims it will slash the cost of its batteries by up to 50 per cent this year, as a price war kicks off with the second largest maker in China, BYD subsidiary FinDreams.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
And this year BYD is making new LFP blade battery with a bit higher capacity. This will most likely later land in basic Tesla models.

Native_Vel

Jun 5, 2022
These bz4X lease deals are getting a little silly. I just checked inventory and I could not believe how many are near me. I like the size of the EX30 (Tight turning radius would be perfect for DC parking/streets) but $189 a month, zero down for 10k miles? Maybe push it to $250 for 15k if I'm feeling cheeky. (Your state may have different incentives).

Its nice to see so many lease deals for EVs to ride out until the next gen batteries/EVs start hitting the streets in 2026/2027.

Last edited:

Schlep

Oct 29, 2017
Joined the club today. Hopefully the pic works since imgur is acting up.

IMG-0628.png

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
Unfortunately our '22 Ioniq 5s 12v battery is dead. Taking it to the dealer Monday since they actually have a real recall this time for the ICCU failures. Just been charging the 12v battery with a portable jumper battery, since the amber light doesn't even come on anymore on the dash indicating that the HV battery is topping off the 12v.

I hope legacy auto finally makes the move to lithium ion 12v batteries like my model 3, so we can move on from these crappy things finally…

Raftina

Jun 27, 2020
carnewschina.com

China’s EV sales now over 50%

During April 1-14 sales of EV and PHEV in China were over 50% of all cars sales. China may well achieve over half for 2024.

Figures from the Passenger Association show that retail sales during the period were 516,000 down 11% year-on-year and down 3% month-on-month, which are not the greatest of figures. However, of these 260,000 were NEVs which is an increase of 32% YOY and 2% MOM. This makes the NEV share of sales 50.39%.

Previously the Economist Intelligence Unit predicted that NEVs wouldn't make up over half of sales until 2028. And the Chinese Federation of Passenger Cars only predicts a 40% penetration rates for 2024. Based on that prediction sales would be in the region of 12 million this year.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately our '22 Ioniq 5s 12v battery is dead. Taking it to the dealer Monday since they actually have a real recall this time for the ICCU failures. Just been charging the 12v battery with a portable jumper battery, since the amber light doesn't even come on anymore on the dash indicating that the HV battery is topping off the 12v.

I hope legacy auto finally makes the move to lithium ion 12v batteries like my model 3, so we can move on from these crappy things finally…

its a little help but honestly shouldn't be needed if they have decent hardware using the HV to top up the 12v regularly enough. Ultimately any LV battery is still a weak link

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
It's honestly pretty weird to think that a massive skateboard battery on wheels needs a separate 12 volt battery at all.

Does it just run the alarm / immobiliser and keyless entry stuff the way it would in a petrol car? Do those have to live on a separate circuit? Because I've been assuming that all the other connectivity (OTA updates and such) sip from the main battery.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
It's honestly pretty weird to think that a massive skateboard battery on wheels needs a separate 12 volt battery at all.

Does it just run the alarm / immobiliser and keyless entry stuff the way it would in a petrol car? Do those have to live on a separate circuit? Because I've been assuming that all the other connectivity (OTA updates and such) sip from the main battery.

normally runs everthing. Think of the big battery pack as the fuel tank - only used for running the engine(motor) and also drives the alternator to charge the 12v when the engine is running (charges the 12v when the car is on/driving)

most cars should monitor the 12v and kick in the battery pack to charge it when needed, even when sleeping. But they aren't always good at this. Plus modern cars run so much like big computer systems that they can draw more than old cars that were only keeping the alarm ticking over when parked up

Muu

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Did a quick trip to central Oregon for daughter's soccer game. managed to go 140miles? and ~5000ft in elevation w/ no real issues. EA gave me some headache initially cause the first stand I pulled into didn't work, but second gave me a topup from 11% to 84% charge in 30mins. Woulda skipped that altogether if I knew earlier that there's a free charging station 3 blocks away from my AirBNB, but alas.

Do feel like 200mi range is more than enough the more I use the car. Having the bigger battery id4 wouldn't have discernably changed this trip at all, as it'd have required a charge somewhere along the route either way. This will be ever more the case as more chargers come online.

Doom

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
I checked out of the EV market last year because I didn't qualify for the tax credit and felt like things were too expensive. Just saw the price on used Tesla's and my jaw dropped. I'm already about halfway convinced that I'm going to pick up a 7 seat model Y used under 40k$ soon.

Are there any major differences between the year models of the Model Y? I've seen lists of what look like minor changes, but generally it seems like a 2022 is every bit as good as a 2023 from what I can tell.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
I checked out of the EV market last year because I didn't qualify for the tax credit and felt like things were too expensive. Just saw the price on used Tesla's and my jaw dropped. I'm already about halfway convinced that I'm going to pick up a 7 seat model Y used under 40k$ soon.

Are there any major differences between the year models of the Model Y? I've seen lists of what look like minor changes, but generally it seems like a 2022 is every bit as good as a 2023 from what I can tell.

I don't know the Model Y as well as the 3 (apparently lfp isn't an option for the Y yet in the U.S.), so I'm not sure how useful any of this will be. The ryzen infotainment is probably good to have, but both years should be good there. Try to avoid the 4680 models if you have any way to tell, they're apparently relatively poor on charge speed and heavy, so all of the downsides of lfp with none of the benefits. They should be relatively rare though, and only(?) in some 2023 short range models?

They'll probably have yanked some sensors in the 2023, so if it's like the Model 3 with the 2022 you'll get the irony of having better parking sensors and worse auto-parking because Tesla's concentrating on camera-only systems now. All this is iirc, I only got the FSD beta today, haven't tried it yet.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017

The '22 model Y is still a good sweet spot, just make sure it has Ryzen chip for the infotainment computer which it should. Also don't bother with a model that doesn't have dual motor/performance imo.

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like the Tesla Model 3 performance is finally revealed and available:

View: https://twitter.com/SawyerMerritt/status/1782803844658790590?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1782803844658790590%7Ctwgr%5E8f46dedc224ea3e917531dd32a6749bd9b12c12b%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fteslamotorsclub.com%2Ftmc%2Fthreads%2Ftesla-tsla-the-investment-world-the-perpetual-investors-roundtable.139047%2Fpage-22767

Here's everything that's new:
• Starting price: $52,990
• 0-60mph: 2.9s (vs 3.1s in old version)
• Range: 296 miles
• Top Speed: 163 mph
• Adaptive Suspension: Powered by in-house software. Gives enhanced body control, without sacrificing daily usability or comfort.
• All-new high-performance drive units deliver 500+ horsepower.
• Track Mode V3: All-new calibration for the powertrain and adaptive suspension.
• Ventilated Sports Seats: New seat design with enhanced side and cushion bolsters.
• Performance Chassis
• Forged Performance Wheels: Lightweight, staggered wheels provide sharper turn-in response, improved predictability, increased traction out of corners and optimized aerodynamics.
• High-Performance Brakes: Enhanced pedal feel and improved heat management.
• Exclusive to Model 3 Performance, redesigned front and rear fascias, rear diffuser and carbon fibre spoiler.
• Carbon Fibre Details: Lightweight carbon fibre interior décor and refined weave pattern.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like the Tesla Model 3 performance is finally revealed and available:

View: https://twitter.com/SawyerMerritt/status/1782803844658790590?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1782803844658790590%7Ctwgr%5E8f46dedc224ea3e917531dd32a6749bd9b12c12b%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fteslamotorsclub.com%2Ftmc%2Fthreads%2Ftesla-tsla-the-investment-world-the-perpetual-investors-roundtable.139047%2Fpage-22767

Here's everything that's new:
• Starting price: $52,990
• 0-60mph: 2.9s (vs 3.1s in old version)
• Range: 296 miles
• Top Speed: 163 mph
• Adaptive Suspension: Powered by in-house software. Gives enhanced body control, without sacrificing daily usability or comfort.
• All-new high-performance drive units deliver 500+ horsepower.
• Track Mode V3: All-new calibration for the powertrain and adaptive suspension.
• Ventilated Sports Seats: New seat design with enhanced side and cushion bolsters.
• Performance Chassis
• Forged Performance Wheels: Lightweight, staggered wheels provide sharper turn-in response, improved predictability, increased traction out of corners and optimized aerodynamics.
• High-Performance Brakes: Enhanced pedal feel and improved heat management.
• Exclusive to Model 3 Performance, redesigned front and rear fascias, rear diffuser and carbon fibre spoiler.
• Carbon Fibre Details: Lightweight carbon fibre interior décor and refined weave pattern.

Crazy that it gets the tax credit too lol

tremolo

Apr 20, 2024
Just bought a 2021 Kona Electric with only 20,000 or so KMs on it. One of the things that I like about it is that it's...just a car, but electric, you know? Also a huge upgrade from my previous student-ey car that I'd essentially driven into the ground!

(also, thankfully I think the 2021 models avoid most of the issues that plagued the earlier ones)

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
This is tempting. I'm on the fence for this.
I'm perfectly fine with my '22 LR and Ioniq 5 SEL, but I felt some legit FOMO for the first time when I found out the stealth grey performance is cheaper than the '24 LR with the tax credit lol.

Really wish they kept the front air vents for all the models like the pre refresh, because the front looks so damn dull now on the '24 models.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
Same. $45,500 after tax rebate and no sales tax on EV's in NJ. Might just lease it for 2 years.

Only thing holding me back is the minimalistic interior (which I hate) and my local Hyundai dealer is finally getting their Ioniq 5 N allocation at the end of May.
If you're leasing anyways, you can't really lose after two years when there will be even more options and most of the EV models will have NACS built in including Hyundais cars. Ioniq 5 N looks so dope though, but I wish it had the '25 refresh feature suite brought over which fixes a lot of owner complaints At least the damn rear wiper Is there for the N.

Oct 29, 2017
I'm perfectly fine with my '22 LR and Ioniq 5 SEL, but I felt some legit FOMO for the first time when I found out the stealth grey performance is cheaper than the '24 LR with the tax credit lol.

Really wish they kept the front air vents for all the models like the pre refresh, because the front looks so damn dull now on the '24 models.
I have a 21 LR. I did a test drive for the refresh two months ago. Excellent drive. The ventilated seats were so nice! The only thing holding me back is I don't need a car.

Tallshortman

Oct 29, 2017
I wonder why the performance qualifies for the full rebate and the LR doesn't. I assume the battery is the exact same. I don't know why anyone would buy the LR assuming your personal tax situation qualifies for the credit as the performance is now cheaper.

LaneDS

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder why the performance qualifies for the full rebate and the LR doesn't. I assume the battery is the exact same. I don't know why anyone would buy the LR assuming your personal tax situation qualifies for the credit as the performance is now cheaper.

I guess for the longer range? Not wanting to switch out more expensive tires seasonally? I don't love the design on the seats in the new performance model but that's a nitpick.

I was going to say "for the stalks!" but I'm sure all models they're selling now are stalk-less, so uh not that.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
The battery is apparently sourced at their Nevada plant, the battery for the LR is sourced out of South Korea, and the LFP battery for the rwd model is from china.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
I have a 21 LR. I did a test drive for the refresh two months ago. Excellent drive. The ventilated seats were so nice! The only thing holding me back is I don't need a car.
Yea I hit the sweet spot getting my '22 LR from a friend. Just gonna ride it out and see where everything is at in 8 years. Model 3s are still the most fun to me to drive. Really want the R2/3, so I'm hoping Rivian nails those models and keeps improving the software.

Tallshortman

Oct 29, 2017
I guess for the longer range? Not wanting to switch out more expensive tires seasonally? I don't love the design on the seats in the new performance model but that's a nitpick.

I was going to say "for the stalks!" but I'm sure all models they're selling now are stalk-less, so uh not that.

I bet if you switched the tires to 18 inch aero wheels like on the standard LR you'd have almost the same range. The LR with the 19" sport wheels only has 9 more miles of range than the Performance. Yeah I saw a video showing the interior being the exact same except for the seats.

The battery is apparently sourced at their Nevada plant, the battery for the LR is sourced out of South Korea, and the LFP battery for the rwd model is from china.

They really should be doing everything practical to get all their vehicles qualified. $7,500 off is such a big selling point.