• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
From the dealership to immediately getting X-Ice tires installed. No fancy pics yet:

dGzLYfX.jpg

Awesome, congrats! I'll likely be buying a Y in a few years, in red though.

SteveMeister

Oct 31, 2017
Honda E is a really great design, but there are no plans to bring in to the United States, which is a shame.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Im guessing its aimed at city drivers that never drive more than like 30 miles a day. Same with the Honda E and similar cars.

Or people like me that have multiple cars and would just use an electric for daily commuting

yeah we could replace my wife's polo for instance and still keep my car for longer journeys or those with the full family

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, heat pumps should be standard. Easy the cost and just make it standard. Beats having thousands of angry customers.

You'd think. Even Tesla doesn't use a heat pump in the Model 3.

I know Hyundai offers an optional "Winter Package" for their EVs with stuff like heat pump, battery warmer, heated steering wheel etc. Same with Nissan and Kia I think

But it's not available everywhere.

I guess margins are very thin on these cars if they can't make it standard, you'd need a resistance heater and the heat pump.

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
anyone have any experience with the Hundai Kona EV? From my limited research it seems to be the longest range behind the Model 3.

MrWhiskers

Oct 27, 2017
I wish my closest tesla store had a SR+ that I could test drive. When I went a while back they only had a performance module which was insane... And definitely something I can't afford. Just want to see if the SR+ would be enough for me

Ryno23

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
I wish my closest tesla store had a SR+ that I could test drive. When I went a while back they only had a performance module which was insane... And definitely something I can't afford. Just want to see if the SR+ would be enough for me

You could always test the performance and put it into "chill mode", which might give some idea although I think chill mode would be much slower 0 to 60 than the SR+, as it throttles rapid acceleration for snow driving etc. so if it's enough for you then the SR+ certainly would be.

MrWhiskers

Oct 27, 2017
You could always test the performance and put it into "chill mode", which might give some idea although I think chill mode would be much slower 0 to 60 than the SR+, as it throttles rapid acceleration for snow driving etc. so if it's enough for you then the SR+ certainly would be.

Not even related to speed but I'd want to see how the partial premium interior is (ex sound system) and stuff are. The only thing I can think of is renting one for a day but to spend however much just for a little test drive seems wasteful to me.

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Transit bus manufacturer New Flyer sent an electric Transit bus to my city, Baltimore, for testing, this is New Flyer's Xcelsior Charge electric Transit bus:

facebook_1580397013386.jpg

The Maryland General Assembly currently has a bill crossfiled in both the Maryland House and Maryland Senate that if enacted would mandate the public transit agency for the Baltimore metro area (Maryland Department of Transportation's Maryland Transit Administration) to only order electric Transit buses.

Maryland House Bill 432 - "Maryland Transit Administration - Conversion to Electric Buses (Electric Bus Transition Act)":

Corresponding Maryland Senate Bill 423 -"Maryland Transit Administration - Conversion to Electric Buses (Electric Bus Transition Act)"

Ryno23

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Not even related to speed but I'd want to see how the partial premium interior is (ex sound system) and stuff are. The only thing I can think of is renting one for a day but to spend however much just for a little test drive seems wasteful to me.

Oh gotcha. Yeah if you live near a city or somewhere populated there's lots of Tesla owners clubs that have EV meet-ups and awareness events, might be worth looking into reaching out to... They are more than happy to give test rides, walk throughs etc usually

MrWhiskers

Oct 27, 2017
Oh gotcha. Yeah if you live near a city or somewhere populated there's lots of Tesla owners clubs that have EV meet-ups and awareness events, might be worth looking into reaching out to... They are more than happy to give test rides, walk throughs etc usually

Good call. I'll give that avenue a try! Thanks

Byakuya769

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
anyone have any experience with the Hundai Kona EV? From my limited research it seems to be the longest range behind the Model 3.

I took a test drive before buying my bolt (bolt beats its range but literally one mile). It seems like a really good car. The backseat is a bit cramped and it doesn't have much space for luggage. I still may have been convinced to get one, but they have very limited stock and dealers don't have many rebates to play with (so a new bolt is far cheaper).

Hesemonni

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can't get over Model Y's chubby looks :/

Also, am I the only one who thinks the tail lights on ALL models need a remodelling. They're pretty much the weakest link of all vehicles. Model S for example is still looking really sharp, but the tail lights ruin it.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
Transit bus manufacturer New Flyer sent an electric Transit bus to my city, Baltimore, for testing, this is New Flyer's Xcelsior Charge electric Transit bus:

facebook_1580397013386.jpg

The Maryland General Assembly currently has a bill crossfiled in both the Maryland House and Maryland Senate that if enacted would mandate the public transit agency for the Baltimore metro area (Maryland Department of Transportation's Maryland Transit Administration) to only order electric Transit buses.

Maryland House Bill 432 - "Maryland Transit Administration - Conversion to Electric Buses (Electric Bus Transition Act)":

Corresponding Maryland Senate Bill 423 -"Maryland Transit Administration - Conversion to Electric Buses (Electric Bus Transition Act)"

Vegas was looking into these. They currently have a very, very limited range, especially compared to existing hybrids and natural gas vehicles, but they may work over short hauls.

Hopefully the transit authority has full impact and the final say on that bill.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Just got an email from BMW saying they're launching an i4 gran coupe in 2021. Says 375 mile range so probably bloody expensive but as a current gran coupe driver it'll be on my shortlist

I've been soaking in EV reviews recently and pretty convinced at least one of our family cars will be EV next time

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
That's actually not great news for VW. Deiss seemed to really understand the ways the market is changing, didn't he?

It would be hilarious if Tesla hired him to run the Gigafactory in Germany, LOL!

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's actually not great news for VW. Deiss seemed to really understand the ways the market is changing, didn't he?

It would be hilarious if Tesla hired him to run the Gigafactory in Germany, LOL!

No it's not. If true it's probably bad. It's possible it's due to a lot of things, but one potential is they didn't like his take on the EV future.

Deleted member 8741

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Was he 100% all in on EVs?

I don't understand the impact here.

Volkswagen CEO: We Need To Move Faster On Electric Vehicles Or We Will Follow Nokia's Fate - CleanTechnica

Volkswagen's CEO, Herbert Diess, has reportedly expressed yet again the corporation's powerful internal struggles regarding the transition to electric vehicles.

electrek.co

Volkswagen CEO says he can catch up to Tesla and ‘probably overtake’ them

The VW CEO admitted that his company is behind Tesla in the EV race. But he said, "We can keep the pace with Tesla and probably at some stage overtake.”

Mollymauk

Oct 27, 2017
The lease on my Leaf is coming up soon, so we've been trying to work out a deal over email. Unfortunately there aren't very many other options in Washington state, so we will likely end up with another Leaf, although the offers we've gotten haven't been great so far. The cheapest EV here still seems to be the Leaf.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Seems everyone apart from Tesla is getting their batteries from LG Chem.

Edit: Nissan is still with AESC.

Arkanius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do we have any more news of the ID.3?
The Model 3 here costs almost 50k and seems out of reach for a "cheap" EV. Extremely interested in the Honda E and the ID.3, but VW just seems to be dragging their feet in their EV forray.

SteveMeister

Oct 31, 2017
I like Rivian a lot, but that 4.5' bed would make things difficult for my needs. Plus it's a lot more expensive than Cybertruck.

Deleted member 8741

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Do we have any more news of the ID.3?
The Model 3 here costs almost 50k and seems out of reach for a "cheap" EV. Extremely interested in the Honda E and the ID.3, but VW just seems to be dragging their feet in their EV forray.

Last I heard there were software issues: https://insideevs.com/news/391335/volkswagen-id3-delayed-until-august-2020/

VW assured people that it wouldn't cause delays, but we'll see. If rumors are true that they're outing the CEO as well I would imagine that wouldn't bode well either.

SteveMeister

Oct 31, 2017
I like the concept of Rivian a lot and I hope they are successful. That said, we've seen nothing yet of an actual product that is going to prove viability yet.

I also wonder if, given the massive orders they have from Amazon for an electric van, they're going to be releasing the pickup and SUV any time soon. That's going to take a lot of effort and resources.

Deleted member 8741

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I also wonder if, given the massive orders they have from Amazon for an electric van, they're going to be releasing the pickup and SUV any time soon. That's going to take a lot of effort and resources.

I also wonder how compelling it is to rush to the truck when the CyberTruck has, as you mentioned, presented a far more affordable option. Obviously the looks are a big differentiator as well as the potential tank mode feature being kinda cool. However, I just wonder with battery constraints and the CyberTruck how viable the market is.

Deleted member 8741

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
currently it starts at 69k but they recently said that it will be cheaper, but they haven't said.

the one thing they do have going for them is they still get the 7500 dollar credit.

Even if it's $65,000 - $7,500 = $57,500. The Cyber Truck is $39,900 for the similar spec. And Rivian hasn't established the supercharger network, and ecosystem. It's gonna be rough. Would love to see another EV company be competitive though.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Even if it's $65,000 - $7,500 = $57,500. The Cyber Truck is $39,900 for the similar spec. And Rivian hasn't established the supercharger network, and ecosystem. It's gonna be rough. Would love to see another EV company be competitive though.
im not saying a direct price comparison.

also the tax credit doesn't work like that. For someone like me, its beneficial to get the tax credit because we typically owe at the end of the year, so the tax credit takes care of that.

Deleted member 8741

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
im not saying a direct price comparison.

also the tax credit doesn't work like that. For someone like me, its beneficial to get the tax credit because we typically owe at the end of the year, so the tax credit takes care of that.

The tax credit does basically work like that. It doesn't matter if you owe or not. It's not a deduction, it's a credit. So if you didn't owe and received $1500 back normally you would get $9,000.

hwalker84

Oct 29, 2017
Pittsburgh
They have been quoted at $69,000 for the base model with 230 miles of range. Which they state won't be available at release and will be the $100,000+ first.
I wish the Cyber truck was the middle of this year. I'd consolidate to one vehicle and push my home owners association to figure out a solution for us Townhome owners without garages. Not sure if the model y is enough for me to go through the hassle.

Deleted member 8741

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ooph x2

translate.google.com

Ford: Geringes Interesse am Mustang-Mach-E-Vertrieb

Lediglich 20 Prozent der deutschen Ford-Partner haben bislang die Vertriebsvereinbarung für Fords ersten Stromer unterzeichnet. Das hat vor allem einen Grund.

However, the Ford partners' interest in selling the Mustang Mach-E has so far been manageable: According to the Ford Partner Association, only around 20 percent of all Ford partners have signed the corresponding side letter, which was approved in November 2019. For Fabio Krause, managing director of the Ford partner association, this is not a surprise: "Since the only purely electric model from Ford has been the Mustang Mach-E so far, many companies do not yet see the economic benefit for themselves, especially as the margin for it Cars are set too low from a retail perspective and are under massive criticism, "he emphasizes.

The Ford Partner Association had been able to significantly reduce the electrical standards originally required by the manufacturer in terms of retail: Instead of two 22 kWh charging stations, only two 11 kWh charging stations are required. "In addition, we were able to give dealers the freedom to choose whether or not to take on the residual value risk for the partially and fully electrified models in leasing transactions," comments Johann Gesthuysen, President of the Ford Partner Association.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Ooph x2

translate.google.com

Ford: Geringes Interesse am Mustang-Mach-E-Vertrieb

Lediglich 20 Prozent der deutschen Ford-Partner haben bislang die Vertriebsvereinbarung für Fords ersten Stromer unterzeichnet. Das hat vor allem einen Grund.
ridiculous. my mid range model 3 is capped at 31mi/hr of charge. Which when you do the math it works out to 7kwh max charge. Other tesla's can go to 80amps, mine is 30. So in essence tesla will be able to charge faster at home than Fords chargers at their dealerships?

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
ridiculous. my mid range model 3 is capped at 31mi/hr of charge. Which when you do the math it works out to 7kwh max charge. Other tesla's can go to 80amps, mine is 30. So in essence tesla will be able to charge faster at home than Fords chargers at their dealerships?

Every dealership I've seen only has 1-2 6.6kW chargers.

Basically 200V/30A.

Few cars can draw more than 30A from an AC charger besides Tesla so if that means the Mustang Mach-E can charge at over 30A then that's mildly impressive.

Also LOL at the lukewarm response from dealers. People are going to have to jump through hoops to buy this car.

-Find a dealer who will sell you one, has one on the lot so you can test drive it(assuming they keep it charged) and will have people trained to service it.

And I bet most them will try and steer you toward an ICE vehicle anyway.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
which will defeat the purpose cause charging a car even up from half will take 3 or so hours

Yeah and those chargers are usually reserved for dealership customers, they might let you use it.

A lot of GM dealerships also have a 24kW DC charger. Assuming it works and they didn't park a truck in front of it you might be able to use that if you're desperate.

But using dealerships as non-Tesla superchargers of sorts(which once seemed like a good idea) ain't happening.

Good to see they stand behind their products.