• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

- Is developing technology that can accelerate cloud/streaming games.
- Can increase potential addressable market to 2.5b to 3b
- Has an advantage with its already existing subscription service.

Apex Legends stats: 2.5 million unique users in the game after 24 hours. Trending towards 3 million users. 600K peak concurrent users.

Mubrik_

Dec 7, 2017
FIFA and micro transactions coming up strong as always.
Even after flat fifa sales and battlefield missing target .

Not sure if they misread the battlefield audience, chasing a story mode instead of BR

OP
OP

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Update:
unknown.png

EA says Apex Legends built from the ground up. Will be operated as a live service with content updates and changes. Opportunities to take the game in different directions. Esports will be part of that. New game modes, legends etc... Looking at mobile ver. and crossplay

Last edited:

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder how long will FIFA be enough to carry them on. Everything outside of FIFA in past 3 years or so underperformed.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
The possible EA Access on PS4...I thought it was assumed Sony didn't want it.

Is this saying they're ok with Sony terms, or they never approached them before?

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
The possible EA Access on PS4...I thought it was assumed Sony didn't want it.

Is this saying they're ok with Sony terms, or they never approached them before?

If i had to guess, i would say it's more likely that Sony is backing down due to pressure like they have with cross play. EA Access seems pretty popular and Sony's excuse for not having it was pretty weak.

Darmik

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't it possible that the major platform could be mobile due to streaming? I'm sure they talked about developing that last year during E3.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully Anthem hits it's targets. I want Dragon Age.

Good to see Access possibly coming to PS4. I won't be using it since I already own the good games. It might be useful down the line but the next EA game I am planning to buy is the new Dragon Age.

Just give me a Mass Effect Trilogy Remaster please

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And we end with EA's full transcript here. Some important quotes:
https://s22.q4cdn.com/894350492/files/doc_financials/2019/q3/Q3-FY19-Prepared-Remarks-FINAL.pdf

In addition to Apex Legends, another team at Respawn is set to deliver Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order this fall. The game's development is led by the former director of the God of War series, with a team of veterans from some of the industry's biggest action-adventure games. It's very far along in development, and having spent time with it recently myself, it plays spectacularly well. This game truly captures the fantasy of becoming a Jedi, and we will have a lot more to share soon.

Our plans for FIFA 18 were aggressive in a World Cup year, and we ended up selling an additional 2.4 million units of FIFA 18 throughout the year, with the intention of converting those players to FIFA 19 when it launched.

Fiscal year to date sales for FIFA 19 are approximately 20 million units, and we've also sold over 3 million units of FIFA 18 this fiscal year. And, as Andrew said, FIFA 19 was the bestselling console game in Europe in calendar 2018.

As Andrew discussed, the desire to make changes to Battlefield V led us to move its launch into a more difficult window, and prioritizing the single-player campaign over battle royale also hurt sales. As a result, we sold 7.3 million units, about 1 million less than comprehended by our Q3 guidance.

We will launch Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order, a new Plants vs. Zombies shooter and a new Need for Speed. We have modest expectations for Battlefield and Anthem live services, given that they are not yet proven. We continue to refine mobile live services and work on new games. Overall, we expect net bookings to grow low single digits and for underlying profitability to grow in line with that.

OP should be updated and all good. Now if you'll excuse me I really need to sleep.

Gatti-man

Banned
Jan 31, 2018
Expecting anthem to sell 6 million by March? No way I'm buying this dip, anthem sells 3 million by March jmho

Bud23

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Fiscal year to date sales for FIFA 19 are approximately 20 million units, and we've also sold over 3 million units of FIFA 18 this fiscal year. And, as Andrew said, FIFA 19 was the bestselling console game in Europe in calendar 2018.

"Underperformed"

Add to that, a couple of billion dollars generated from microtransactions, and the conclusion is that capitalism is fucked

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I'm assuming next NFS will just be heavily influenced by Horizon. There's no reason to not go that route at this point.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Stocks are priced based on past/present performance and future expectations. The Stock was priced with an expectation of hitting a certain target revenue/profit that EA said they would get. If a result/news impacts any of these there is a price correction. They missed their target so the price corrects. This is normal.

I'm aware of how it works. I still think it's crazy and leads to lots of problems but that is for EtcerEra.

Oct 27, 2017
Does DICE have anything scheduled for this Fall? The last handful of years they've done Battlefront one year then Battlefield the next, but with the Respawn Jedi game coming out this fall, is DICE just going to keep working on BFV this year?

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
Are new games made available on EA pass? Because I would totally sign it if they are. I'm not going to buy Anthem at launch but I would play it if it's on the pass

Real

Oct 28, 2017
Them missing EA Access on PS4 in time for Anthem's launch is them missing out on a shit ton of dollars...

unless they stealth drop EA Access Februrary 15th to coincide with the week head start on PS4?

Best news out of that earnings report is Respawn getting more money to make amazing games and a Garden Warfare 3 confirmation.

JimD

Aug 17, 2018
Interesting stuff. I believe in past years mainline FIFA game sales spike on a World Cup year and then drop the year after. FIFA 19 sales being flat might have missed projections but certainly doesn't seem to be disappointing to EA.

JimD

Aug 17, 2018

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
I'm assuming next NFS will just be heavily influenced by Horizon. There's no reason to not go that route at this point.
Honestly the only way I'm buying a NFS game is if the actual gameplay is solid, which they could take cues from Horizon with. The last NFS I played was the most wanted reboot and that had handling from a zero budget PS1 game, like Hot Pursuit's but even worse. The rest could be peak corny ass hell for all I care, like they could just put a new paint job on the first Underground game and I'd be interested.

Kyuur

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
only $4.875B instead of $5.2B. Completely doomed.

It's funny to compare like this but that's entire budget of an AAA title with hundreds of staff working around the clock on it. The gap amounts to them developing GTAV in its entirety and then scrapping it. If that actually happened, it would be reported as a catastrophic failure.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Digital sales on ps4/xb1 jumped from 37% to 47% in 1 year. That's huge. They'll cross the 50% mark this year.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Freaking hell, another new boring NFS game :(, give us a new Burnout for crying out loud, so many of us are wanting a brand new Burnout Paradise type of game, not another stale NFS game. I mean if they "must" do NFS let them give us something more like NFS Underground 2, but this time with the crashing/detail of Burnout games.

Also whyyyy do they continue to Ignore Skate and Fight Night? Those are two fanbases that literally have NO ONE catering to them, it makes absolutely no sense to me. There is literally no AAA game out there for Boxing fans nor Skate fans (there is some promising indie ones being worked on though).

It's like they are literally ignoring them and leaving money on the table.

There's plenty enough room for both Fight Night AND the UFC games, I like both but I am growing tired of UFC and it's stand up game is no where near as fun as Fight Night's boxing.

Last edited:

InspectorJones

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I honestly can't see Anthem performing up to their expectations. Firstly because they will almost certainly have crazy unrealistic expectations (in the words of Jim Sterling, "they want ALL THE MONEY"), and secondly because the recent demos were rough as fuck and the word of mouth is far from overwhelmingly positive.

That is to say, Anthem will probably sell very well regardless, but almost certainly not according to their expectations.

This is my prediction as well. I browse quite a few gaming sites and the amount of Anthem presence is near 0. I wasn't even aware that Anthem was releasing this month and that's definitely not a good sign for the less informed customer. All my initial takeaways were the demo was disappointing and no one trusts the monetization system.

I'm sure it'll do fine but it will not hit 5-6 million unless this game gets critical acclaim like 95%+ and gets crazy word of mouth; both things I'm betting against.