• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jefferies analyst Timothy O'Shea downgrades EA to hold from buy Thursday and warned clients that EA's 2019 content lineup remains largely untested.

"Non-sports games is precisely the area where EA has the most to prove," O'Shea wrote. "Excluding sports games, EA has launched a string of misses," he writes.

The company — and its investors — hasn't had too much to worry about in recent years thanks to the success of FIFA Ultimate Team, the latest chapter of what's become one of the most popular sports video game series in history. Ultimate Team, which allows gamers build up a dream team, is EA's highest-margin business, generating sales through virtual goods, the analyst said.

Such purchases, though, have proven to be a heated topic among EA customers and across its games.

"When EA brought loot boxes to Star Wars Battlefront 2, the fan backlash was swift and severe," O'Shea added. "Battlefront 2 dramatically underperformed its original estimates, and bowing to pressure EA capitulated to gamers by removing loot boxes from the game. This was a first important sign that Ultimate Team growth would begin to stall."

SOURCE

When even investors begin to get alarmed about EA, you know they've fucked up.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Not an advocate for people losing their jobs or anything like that, but I still think gaming would be better off without EA, actually also Activision and others. The AAA has gotten too big and it's eating the rest of the industry.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
This dinosaur of a company is being held together solely by sports license exclusivity and pushing gambling onto kids and addicts.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not an advocate for people losing their jobs or anything like that, but I still think gaming would be better off without EA, actually also Activision and others. The AAA has gotten too big and it's eating the rest of the industry.
I think this is one of the stupidest stances I keep seeing from some posters and I continue to think it's pretty stupid. Advocating anyone to lose there job should be ashamed of themselves.

jrDev

Banned
Mar 2, 2018
Hope the talented devs jump ship too and let EA continue to fall out of relevance and leave just a sports license husk...

Such a weird decision by Respawn to let EA buy them too to this day and they will regret it...

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
ttAG3sg.png

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
Good. If Bioware has to be the last sacrifice for EA to die it sucks but so be it. Its for the greater good.

Edit: forgot about Respawn...dammit.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
Still feel like EA could regenerate some interest and potentially sales through quick remasters of more of their last gen titles.

Also EA isn't going anywhere, they just need to diversify their big profit streams beyond FIFA/Madden. They are still one of the biggest companies in the industry, even bigger than Nintendo.

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
EA needs to go through a lot of pain before they'll get better. Even now investors still have completely ridiculous expectations for their games. Only when that notion is dispelled, which will most certainly be accompanied by their stock tanking and a lot of restructuring, will they be in a position to go for lower margins and higher quality.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
This is actually fucking awful, but EA has been handling themselves kinda poorly. BF II pissing off so many fans, BF V being boring and not really well received. Their sports games are a mess of MTX that are basically robbing people, and they can't do anything for the SW franchise outside The Old Republic. This is a mess.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Both EA (BF is in a bad state currently and it's unclear how the future will be) and Activision have been mainly dependent on a single franchise, considering how big they are it's really weird how they can't find some other huge successes, Anthem is coming soon though so that could change.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
If you sell a product you simply can't be perpetually mocked and meme'd and not expect to erode. Eventually people just don't like you and they stop wanting to buy anything from you.

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
Outside of their ultimate team scam cash, they have nothing going for them at the moment. They better hope Anthem takes off. I hope Respawn survives this car crash.

Deleted member 46922

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
The bad thing about this is that EA is still making so much profit and the idiots that run companies like this will always be firing the wrong people and closing the wrong departments.
Eventually it will catch up with them, but not before a lot of motivated people are being thrown under the bus.
Sick companies like this just work like that. It's repulsive, but true.

Dukie85

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
"Not an advocate for people losing their jobs or anything like that, but all these people at these companies should lose their jobs"

Kiraly

Oct 30, 2017
EA is in a downward spiral and they have no one else to blame other than themselves.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
The bad thing about this is that EA is still making so much profit and the idiots that run companies like this will always be firing the wrong people and closing the wrong departments.
Eventually it will catch up with them, but not before a lot of motivated people are being thrown under the bus.
Sick companies like this just work like that. It's repulsive, but true.
Blame the people who spend thousands on FUT annually and keep buying their shit and the suits at EA.

The dev's aren't to blame and by all accounts are treated well.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure Dragon Age will save them.

All they have to do is release it during a lame duck year so it wins all of the GOTY awards.

cdm00

The Fallen
Dec 5, 2018
As much as excited I am for Anthem this shit scares me cuz it's EA but this kinda looks like the Iron Man game we've been waiting for 10 years

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
The good thing is, Next time the likes of Sterling try to tell you that publishers make more than enough money already, show them how vulnerable even mega publishers are to market cap losses due to slowing demand and canceled projects.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
For a forum that constantly complains about publishers wanting to make "all the money", it's rather surprising they are celebrating the idea of a publisher getting punished for only making some money, not all the money - the report did not actually say that any of these games lost money. So why are you encouraging the idea that a publisher needs to make all the money with every ga,me to please investors? Just so you can see "hah, fuck EA!"?

Raider34

Banned
May 8, 2018
United States
wish all the people would stick together one good time and boycott Madden Ultimate team make them lose so much money that they gotta give up that NFL License

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
The good thing is, Next time the likes of Sterling try to tell you that publishers make more than enough money already, show them how vulnerable even mega publishers are to market cap losses due to slowing demand and canceled projects.
"B-b-but i googled their annual revenue and it looked high to me"

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
For a forum that constantly complains about publishers wanting to make "all the money", it's rather surprising they are celebrating the idea of a publisher getting punished for only making some money, not all the money - the report did not actually say that any of these games lost money. So why are you encouraging the idea that a publisher needs to make all the money with every ga,me to please investors? Just so you can see "hah, fuck EA!"?
The point is the reason they're losing market share is because they ruined their games with shitty monetization and short dev times. People are glad that the gaming public successfully punished those bad habits with their wallets.