• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

OG Kush

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
YouTube is a great place to learn from as you're most likely to find someone teaching you methods that would be within the sub-genre of your choosing. You'll be walked through the steps you need taken to build the kind a track but I do recommend reading the Ableton user manual so you have a clearer picture. Buy or *cough up* some sample packs as you'll need sounds to work with. Ripping sounds from YouTube is always a cool as idea although you'll need software that records system audio. Don't worry about buying extra plug-ins and shit until you've mastered the built in ones. Basically download Ableton, fuck about and have fun.
Is ableton a good software to start with? I know evryone says is no the tools you have, but what you actually do with the tools. Meaning the software preference is subjective. However I have heard things like logic pro x is kind of complicated, and fruity loops is the simplest.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
Can you or someone in the thread recommend a place to start if I wanted to learn how to use Ableton, as someone who has never made a beat before?

If you want to casually do some beats, could I recommend grabbing a copy of Korg Gadget on iPhone etc to have a faff around with. I found the UI a bit of a pain to be honest (but I find that with DAWs in general) but it could be a quick way to have some fun.

Mi goreng

Oct 28, 2017
Melbourne
Is ableton a good software to start with? I know evryone says is no the tools you have, but what you actually do with the tools. Meaning the software preference is subjective. However I have heard things like logic pro x is kind of complicated, and fruity loops is the simplest.

Ableton is my favourite amongst all of the music production software due to being able to capture ideas the quickest. Logic is cool, looks nice and if you have a mac you may want to go that route or could even use both. The thing with Ableton is I find it to be the most versatile, and usually if you see an artist using something else such as Cubase, it's because they've been producing for decades and learnt that thing. Ableton came along more recently and is objectively easier to work with. Also Ableton 10 has features coming that are going to increase workflow productivity a lot such as groups within groups.

OP
OP
BeeDog

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, that Avalon Emerson EP is excellent, glad I got a hold of a vinyl copy since her stuff tends to sell out immediately.

Anyway, yesterday I discovered an utterly amazing techno-EBM EP from some French newcomer(?). He managed to get I Hate Models, The Horrorist and Codex Empire as remixers too!

https://djvarsovie.bandcamp.com/

Mi goreng

Oct 28, 2017
Melbourne

giphy.gif

Kaiser Franco

Oct 28, 2017
This week marks the 10th anniversary of Burial's Untrue album which inspired so many artists. Some interesting facts from RA:

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
Don't think I've got any soundclips for this, but the Nocow release on Rekids in December is really nice. Kind of murky, like Young Male, but with Galcher style vocals over the top. Got a weird fluid energy that I really like.

The Michel Isorinne LP is great stuff, I've gone through that a few times end to end now.

Mi goreng

Oct 28, 2017
Melbourne
Don't think I've got any soundclips for this, but the Nocow release on Rekids in December is really nice. Kind of murky, like Young Male, but with Galcher style vocals over the top. Got a weird fluid energy that I really like.

Sounds good, looking forward to it. Been enjoying that Galcher album.

Just bought some nice things on Bandcamp
https://andras.bandcamp.com/album/corn-dust < dope producer from Melbourne
https://moneysexrecords.bandcamp.com/album/m-r011-borrowed-cs < Money$ex Records is a great label from Max Graef + Glenn Astro
https://nathanmelja.bandcamp.com/album/raindrops-ep < Had to buy it, dude has other releases on Ninja Tunes sub label Technicolour which are juice

Call Super LP drops this fri. We all know it's going to be the AOTY.

Last edited:

OG Kush

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So went that Afterlife event at Printworks London over the weekend. Damn what a party! Printworks as a venue is bloody amazing, security were chill and crowd were great. Tale of Us and Woo York were something special. Every artist smashed it to be fair though.
Check out the lights/venue (and some tale of us) here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSuQXqOw_wQ

Another thing was that the daytime event was a nice change (all of Printworks are daytime due to being in a residential area I believe) and being done by 10pm felt good. How do people deal with most electronic music events being late night and running till very late? it can really mess up the next day for me, and especially when you work Monday-Friday, I like to utilise the weekends too and be up at reasonable times! Ah, guess its a trade off one has to make for the music.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
Finally here! Yay!! You know what is crazy for me? I used to heavily listen to trance/tech trance/techno/deep house/progressive/big room high energy shit but now ive been daddling more into that headbanging shit. For instance like Snails, zomboy, phaseone, rezz(yeah not headbanging but trippyaf), figure, botnek, stonebank, excision, flosstradamus, knife party and etc. Then i also started to realllly dig Just a Gent, what so not and droeloe.

Anyway, glad this is made and ill be watching! LOL

toku

沢山特別
Oct 25, 2017
Ne Monde
Don't sleep on that latest slackk, was really into this summer but it might be appropriate for fall/winter

oledome

Oct 25, 2017
So went that Afterlife event at Printworks London over the weekend. Damn what a party! Printworks as a venue is bloody amazing, security were chill and crowd were great. Tale of Us and Woo York were something special. Every artist smashed it to be fair though.
Check out the lights/venue (and some tale of us) here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSuQXqOw_wQ

Another thing was that the daytime event was a nice change (all of Printworks are daytime due to being in a residential area I believe) and being done by 10pm felt good. How do people deal with most electronic music events being late night and running till very late? it can really mess up the next day for me, and especially when you work Monday-Friday, I like to utilise the weekends too and be up at reasonable times! Ah, guess its a trade off one has to make for the music.

I've been there a couple of times for Secret Cinema but hadn't found a night to go (that vid you posted is where they had a full size X-Wing in the ceiling!) I didn't know they were earlier in the day, I know the tickets are pricey, awesome venue though. I don't handle anything the day after a big night out so I just schedule the time off.

I was out in Bogotá to a place called Video Club over the weekend and DJ Tennis had a great set, better than the last time I saw him, lots of variation, personal highlight was this track that was released earlier this year:

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
Dark Matters are being lovely enough to send me a copy of this. The lead track is a stunning swirl of dub. You think it is going to be a churning GAS like piece of ambience and then starts to solidify halfway through:

jacket

Oct 25, 2017
Ran through M.E.S.H.'s new album twice and it at times kind of sounds like an expansion of Lee Gamble with some other complicated shit thrown in that I haven't fully interpreted yet.

OG Kush

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm liking the DJ Seinfeld album. Nothing crazy buy nice lo fi stuff and i have a weakness for female vocal samples.

Saw Biceo last night. They advertised it as like (LIVE) set but did not see what was live about it? Looked like they were DJing as normal. Now I know "live" is very subjective when it comes to electronic music, but this just seemed like a away to charge the promoters more money. It was their headline show and they did only did 1 hr 15 set, would have really preferred a 2 hour one.

OP
OP
BeeDog

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, the DJ Seinfeld album is the epitome of "nice lo-fi house". Really like it.

Anyway, my latest batch of purchases, some damn great stuff in there, if I may say so myself. Can maybe act as recommendations to you guys and girls:

skrmklippr9jmk.png

OP
OP
BeeDog

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
Double post, but have you guys heard the new Equiknoxx album? It's pretty fucking cool, considering I'm usually not into that kind of stuff. Will probably be super-limited like most DDS, so cop it quickly:
Equiknoxx - Colón Man

OP
OP
BeeDog

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
Gotta say, Claro Intelecto - Exhilarator has quickly risen to the top of my "best of 2017" list, it's utterly amazing. Greatly appreciate the variation on in while still delivering killer tunes.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
Hnnng, I just cannot get into this Seinfeld LP. I've got the title track on and that distorted kick is really grating on me. And having lived through the nineties house thing, the knowing cheeky throwbacks have less of an impact on me.

Dicer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Goin back in time... DJ Keoki is always a solid energy booster. GO SPEED GO!!!

see5harp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Liking some of the DJ Seinfeld. Some sorta just blends in with what I'm doing which can be the case with the more chill stuff. This Bicep is the shit though.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
So. Content.

I've you've followed various publications over the years, you might have noted the sad demise of a few favourites. LittleWhiteEarbuds and Juno Plus come to mind here. The enthusiast scene and writing content isn't exactly something that go hand in hand with remuneration unless you find yourself on one of the few top tier sites. For my purposes, I cram everything in around doing my day job and I do it for free. Listening to music, talking to PR, speaking to artists, sorting out the content and making it nicely formatted - it all takes time. I'm usually cramming it into scant hours after the kids are asleep, on the train (less so now my MacBook died) and at lunches. It's incredibly fatiguing and easy to see why outlets end up winding up.

Obviously you would love to have a reward. There is the constant stream of digital tunes. Sometimes labels will be kind and give you a vinyl dump. Sometimes you just want some currency without having to pimp yourself out to do PR copy, though. Patreon is an avenue, but it always feels like a sacrifice of what you want to focus on in order to provide reward tiers. Ko-fi is a low commitment donation engine, but low commitment often means no commitment. So I'm going to have a stab at something a bit esoteric. After poking around recently, I stumbled upon Steemit. Essentially think of it as Reddit (ish) except the upvotes translate to cryptocurrency. Steem is no Bitcoin, and doesn't have a fancy technology disrupting idea like Ethereum, but the concept of monetising content is intriguing. My mind is starting to drift off to concepts of websites having Steem intrinsically tied into their structure.

Right now, there is a huge gap in electronic music writing there (i.e. none) and I'm waiting to get active to see how things go. It would be interesting to see if cryptocurrency could provide a solution for creative content producers. I'll give you all a Twitter hookup once I start pumping out some content. Not a cash beg, as I think you have to be registered to upvote. No public spamming. But yeah, let's see what this is like.

Mi goreng

Oct 28, 2017
Melbourne
Year isn't over yet but with not much left on the horizon i'm narrowing down between these...

Call Super - Arpo
Octo Octa - Where Are We Going?
Teengirl Fantasy - 8AM
Visionist - Value
Sophia Kennedy - Sophia Kennedy
Various Artists - mono no aware

For my AOTY.

And it's between

Vatican Shadow - Luxor Necropolitics
Airhead - Shaded
Beatrice Dillon & Call Super - Inkjet / Fluo
WK7 - Rhythm 1

For my EPOTY.

It has been a great year for interesting electronic music.

OP
OP
BeeDog

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
Definitely an amazing year, especially for albums. Some of my picks for best albums so far, no ordering since I flip-flop every passing day (will narrow it down to a top 10 at the very end of the year):

- Actress - AZD
- Varg - Nordic Flora Series Pt. 3: Gore-Tex City
- Claro Intelecto - Exhilarator
- Ninos Du Brasil - Vida Eterna
- Broken English Club - The English Beach
- Delta Funktionen - Junior High School Excursion To The Parallel World
- Emmanuel - Rave Culture
- Kangding Ray - Hyper Opal Mantis
- Markus Suckut - Resist
- Perc - Bitter Music
- Sigha - Metabolism
- 1800HaightStreet - Endless
- Special Request - Belief System
- Phase Fatale - Redeemer
- Equiknoxx - Colón Man
- Blush Response - Infinite Density
- Deepchord - Auratones
- Dave Clarke - The Desecration Of Desire

Too many great EPs for me to even attempt to make a list.

Mi goreng

Oct 28, 2017
Melbourne
Other music i've enjoyed this year:

Actress - AZD
Adam Feingold - Rapcha
Andy Mac & Ossia - Soup / Cado / Linguine
Arca - Arca
Avalon Emerson - Whities 013
Baba Stiltz - Can't Help It
Ben Frost - The Centre Cannot Hold
Bibio - Phantom Brickworks
Bicep - Bicep
Björk - Utopia
Blanck Mass - World Eater
Blawan - Nutrition
Blondes - Warmth
Blondes - KDM (Barker & Baumecker Remix)
Blue Hawaii - Tenderness
Borrowed cs - M$R011
Call Super - fabric 92
Carla dal Forno - The Garden
Celestial Trax - Nothing is Real
Clark - Death Peak
Dark Sky - Othona + Remix EP's
Dark Sky - Lossless
Dauwd - Theory of Colours
Denis Sulta - Nein Fortiate
Denis Sulta - Our World (With a Boy On Its Shoulders)
DJ Python - Dulce Compañia
DJ Richard - Path of Ruin
DJ Seinfeld - Time Spent Away From U
doon kanda - Heart
Dwig - What's Paradise
Equiknoxx - Colón Man
Equiknoxx - Mark Ernestus Remixes
F ingers - Awkwardly Blissing Out
Fever Ray - Plunge
FJAAK - FJAAK
Florian Kupfer & Torn Hawk - Hungry for Candy
Forest Swords - Compassion
Four Tet - New Energy
Gajek - '17
Galcher Lustwerk - Dark Bliss
Gas - Narkopop
George FitzGerald - Burns
Gerry Read - New Junk City
Giant Swan - Celebrate the Last 30 Years of Human Ego / IFTLOYL
Go Hiyama - I Am Goodbye
Grant - Grant 001
Grant - Grant 002
Greenspan & Taraval - Greenspan & Taraval
Helena Hauff - Have You Been There, Have You Seen It
Hieroglyphic Being, Sarathy Korwar & Shabaka Hutchings - A.R.E. Project
HKE - SQ777-1 No Man Is God
Hodge - No Single Thing
Hodge - Swing for the Fences
Illum Sphere - Glass Remixes
IMYRMiND - Uniwersum Luxus
Jabu - Sleep Heavy
Jacques Greene - Feel Infinite + Remixes
James Holden & The Animal Spirits - The Animal Spirits
Jlin - Black Origami
Joe - Tail Lift / MPH
John T. Gast - wygdn
Juju & Jordash - Sis-Boom-Bah!
Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith - The Kid
Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith - I Will Make Room for You (Four Tet Remix)
Karen Gwyer - Rembo
Kelela - Take Me Apart
Kelly Lee Owens - Kelly Lee Owens
King Krule - The OOZ
Kllo - Backwater
Kowton - Pea Soup / Iodine
Krikor Kouchian - Pacific Alley
Lanark Artefax - Whities 011
Lapalux - The End of Industry
Laurel Halo - Dust
Lee Gamble - Mnestic Pressure
Lock Eyes - First Sight
LOFT - Turn My Built Dances
Lone - DJ-Kicks
LUWTEN - LUWTEN
M.E.S.H. - Hesaitix
Machine Woman - When Lobster Comes Home
Mana - Creature
Max Graef & Glenn Astro - The Yard Work Simulator Remixes
Mica Levi - Delete Beach
Minor Science - Whities 012
Moiré - No Future
Mount Kimbie - Love What Survives
Nathan Fake - Providence + Reworks
Nathan Melja - Raindrops
NHK yx Koyxen - Exit Entrance
Nick Höppner - Work
Ninos Du Brasil - Vida Eterna
Nite Jewel - Real High
Norwell - Follow the Sea
nthng - It Never Ends
nthng - Turn to Gaia
O'Flynn - Pluto's Beating Heart / Eleven
Objekt - Objekt #4
Octo Octa - My Feelings Toward You
Oneohtrix Point Never - Good Time OST
Orson Wells - Pneumatics
Parris - Your Kiss Is Sour
Patricia - Several Shades of the Same Color
Pearson Sound - Robin Chasing Butterflies
Project Pablo - Hope You're Well
Rabit - Les Fleurs Du Mal
Regis - The Master Side
Relaxer - Relaxer IV
Relaxer - Jamie Lee (Halal & Relaxer's Me-Time Meltdown)
Rimbaudian (DJ Seinfeld) - Letters
Roman Flügel - fabric 95
Ross from Friends - The Outsiders
Samo DJ & 5ive - Drunkenstein
A Sagittariun - Pseudo Science
Shed - The Final Experiment
Shigeto - The New Monday
Skee Mask - ISS002
Skee Mask - 2012
Tessela - Hackney Parrot (10_Ton_Mix) / Headland
The/Das - Exit Strategies
tobias. - Eyes In the Center