• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fliep

Banned
Feb 13, 2018
One thing to note about the above is that the Prince Of Denmark/Traumprinz/DJ Metatron aliases have now been fully retired and won't be revisited.

They are now running under the monikers of Prime Minister Of Doom and DJ Healer. For now.

Wow. I knew that he retired and broke up with the Giegling-Label but I did not know he was releasing under new aliases (so happy right now).
But I must say, that while listening to the DJ Healer Album it reminded me fairly often of the Traumprinz-style I just did not draw the final conclusion.

toku

沢山特別
Oct 25, 2017
Ne Monde
https://www.xlr8r.com/news/premiere-hear-an-atmospheric-bass-cut-from-vio-l3t

ey6HbY7.gif

ohhthegore

Nov 25, 2017
I was on my first rave this weekend and I gotta say I'm officially converted now. I was always fascinated by techno and rave culture but for some reason could never get into the music. I never hated techno, but I didn't like it either. Was just indifferent
I guess I had to experience it live once to really get and appreciate it. And WOW. One of the best evenings of my life. And it was just like they say, the music was literally inside me and I was in sort of a trance all night long. Never had so much fun on a night out. Although I'm sure the mdma played a part in that as well :P
And the thing that I loved the most was everybody was there to have fun and dance. Nobody is judging you for how you look or how you dance, no superficial posers who just stand on the side trying to look cool, pick up chicks and update their instagram profile. Just people who are there for the music only.

Will need to do a crash course in Techno though before I start going out more. What I can already say is that I dig minimal techno and I'm not really into the "pop" side of Techno that sounds like it could've been made by Aviic or David Guetta. Not really familiar with all the Techno slang yet but I think you get what I mean.
I LOVE that Paula Temple set that was posted here. Any recommendations of similar sounds?

try some of these

https://soundcloud.com/rotterdamse-rave/perc-trax-labelnight-podcast-by-perc-1

https://soundcloud.com/reaktorevents/domenico-crisci-at-unpolished-2018

https://soundcloud.com/bythecreek/ansome-live-by-the-creek-2017

https://soundcloud.com/awakenings/kobosil-awakenings-festival-2017-25-06-2017

https://soundcloud.com/hate_music/remco-beekwilder-hate-podcast-048

kev.wav

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't been on Era much recently, is this the official unofficial Groundbreaking Electronic Music Thread rebirth? I really hope it is

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if this is the right thread for this. Wondering if any of ya'll have heard of...

Keep Shelly in Athens (KSIA)
Gazelle Twin
Sarah P. (more pop)
Pastel Ghost
Computer Magic

I'm a really big fan of KSIA, which led me to find the other artists last night while browsing spotify.

Fliep

Banned
Feb 13, 2018
Not sure if this is the right thread for this. Wondering if any of ya'll have heard of...

Keep Shelly in Athens (KSIA)
Gazelle Twin
Sarah P. (more pop)
Pastel Ghost
Computer Magic

I'm a really big fan of KSIA, which led me to find the other artists last night while browsing spotify.

I got got to admit, I do not know any of the names you listed.
Could you post some of your favorite songs?

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can I ask what all of y'all's favorite LPs from the past 6 months have been? I've been using Resident Advisor for recommendations on electronic LPs, so I've been curious to see if there's anything I've missed. The more underground, the better.

Kaiser Franco

Oct 28, 2017
Can I ask what all of y'all's favorite LPs from the past 6 months have been? I've been using Resident Advisor for recommendations on electronic LPs, so I've been curious to see if there's anything I've missed. The more undetrground, the better.

Some of my favs, do not know whether RA reviewed them or not (probably some of them) from the last 6 months: Vince Watson - Via, Microtrauma - Sonar, Skee Mask - Compro, Daniel Avery - Song for Alpha, Rival Consoles - Persona, Ripperton - Sight Seeing, DJ Healer - Nothing 2 Loose/Prime Minister of Doom - Mudshadow Propaganda, Pablo Bolivar & Sensual Physics - Traverse (Reprise), SW:SVN - AMB1805 (this is an ep).

Fliep

Banned
Feb 13, 2018
Hey, sorry meant to reply yesterday. Added a song for each to a spotify playlist: https://open.spotify.com/user/43io7...8EPC847aswr5WuBb3V0?si=v2lnVkC5TZmqiA8p0DipxA

Thank you, I liked the songs from Computer Magic and Pastel Clouds, the other ones I find not bad, but they are not giving me much.
The thing is that for a few years now I tend to listen to music without vocals because I find them distracting most of the time. That does not mean that music with vocals is bad per se or anything but that I tend to like it when they leave it out.
I gotta say that despite having vocals I liked the new album from Blue Hawaii, it might be up your alley.

Fav track

Whole LP

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
Thank you, I liked the songs from Computer Magic and Pastel Clouds, the other ones I find not bad, but they are not giving me much.
The thing is that for a few years now I tend to listen to music without vocals because I find them distracting most of the time. That does not mean that music with vocals is bad per se or anything but that I tend to like it when they leave it out.
I gotta say that despite having vocals I liked the new album from Blue Hawaii, it might be up your alley.

Fav track

Whole LP

Thanks, I'll check it out!

kev.wav

Oct 25, 2017
Skee Mask, Daniel Avery, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins (not exactly underground anymore but still really good) LP's are all great

hearing good things about Blawan's one but it's not out yet

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some of my favs, do not know whether RA reviewed them or not (probably some of them) from the last 6 months: Vince Watson - Via, Microtrauma - Sonar, Skee Mask - Compro, Daniel Avery - Song for Alpha, Rival Consoles - Persona, Ripperton - Sight Seeing, DJ Healer - Nothing 2 Loose/Prime Minister of Doom - Mudshadow Propaganda, Pablo Bolivar & Sensual Physics - Traverse (Reprise), SW:SVN - AMB1805 (this is an ep).
Skee Mask, Daniel Avery, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins (not exactly underground anymore but still really good) LP's are all great

hearing good things about Blawan's one but it's not out yet
Thanks for the reccs.

I've really dug this EP from the Modern Institute, "Another Exhibit at the Modern Institute."

nin

Asked Politely
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Kinda LTTP to this thread but hey hwere we go :)
Currently listening to the new New Nicolas Jaar project
Against All Logic / 2012-2017 and it is really really good!
Enjoying it a lot

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know the name of the song playing when the beat drops? I know the vocals are from If I Lose Myself, but I'm not sure if it's a remix of that song or if the DJ was just playing those vocals on top of something. Shazam failed me.

https://youtu.be/NXHL24yttp8

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
Yep, last. No word on who is doing the final physical 100th Fabric release yet. I do like how there have been 4x vinyl sets for the last couple of mixes.

Fabric are definitely going onto Spotify. They've been testing the water on the Sasha & Tale Of Us mixes, you can find the unmixed versions of those on there. I'd expect them to go 100% digital this way but back things up with vinyl sets.

Who wants to enter speculation wars for who is mixing the final Fabric 100?

Terry Francis & Craig Richards swansong?
DJ Healer b2b Prime Minister Of Doom?

kev.wav

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, last. No word on who is doing the final physical 100th Fabric release yet. I do like how there have been 4x vinyl sets for the last couple of mixes.

Fabric are definitely going onto Spotify. They've been testing the water on the Sasha & Tale Of Us mixes, you can find the unmixed versions of those on there. I'd expect them to go 100% digital this way but back things up with vinyl sets.

Who wants to enter speculation wars for who is mixing the final Fabric 100?

Terry Francis & Craig Richards swansong?
DJ Healer b2b Prime Minister Of Doom?
Craig Richards & Villalobos I'm hoping

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
ehhhhh I don't know about that. Does Dixon have any sort of special connection to the club? If so I wasn't aware of it

Don't believe so. I'm just trying to think of "big" names to go out with a bang. I mean, we've had Sasha do the penultimate, and that is fairly sizable.

I've got no particular love for Dixon, although, in the distant past, he has been part of a good few memorable mix CDs for me. The Grandfather Paradox is an all time favourite.

PMOD/DJ Healer isn't affiliated with the club, however has a following that is near Apple/Boards Of Canada-esque in terms of wide eyed fandom. Plus the massive stash of archive material that can be exclusive to a mix / put on vinyl.

kev.wav

Oct 25, 2017
Don't believe so. I'm just trying to think of "big" names to go out with a bang. I mean, we've had Sasha do the penultimate, and that is fairly sizable.

I've got no particular love for Dixon, although, in the distant past, he has been part of a good few memorable mix CDs for me. The Grandfather Paradox is an all time favourite.

PMOD/DJ Healer isn't affiliated with the club, however has a following that is near Apple/Boards Of Canada-esque in terms of wide eyed fandom. Plus the massive stash of archive material that can be exclusive to a mix / put on vinyl.
Sasha is almost synonymous with British electronic music though and has a long history with fabric itself. I feel like for the "last" one (rumor is they're just changing formats) they'll pick someone(s) on a similar level of connection with the club or British electronic music

plus, and maybe it's just the corners of dance music I inhabit these days, it doesn't seem like Dixon is the cultural force he once was. but that could just be me

Dreaver

Oct 27, 2017
The past few weeks both Justice and Disclosure released new music. I'm excited as fuck.

Settle is one my favorite all-time albums. Caracal is probably the hugest disappointment I've ever had in music. From cool unique-sounding house-y/garage-y/electro to a shitty pop album (imo). I LOVE the new music though. It sounds both like old Disclosure and totally fresh. I wonder if it's stuff for their new album, or just some "random music" they dropped. Either way, I'm very pleased with it!

Also, Justice released a new album based on their live show (which I've seen a few weeks ago). It's basically a mash-up of all their old work. I'm sure they were very inspired by Alive 2007. I was a bit disappointed with the second and third album too, but this is so rad.

kortvarsel

Avenger
Dec 11, 2017
The past few weeks both Justice and Disclosure released new music. I'm excited as fuck.

Settle is one my favorite all-time albums. Caracal is probably the hugest disappointment I've ever had in music. From cool unique-sounding house-y/garage-y/electro to a shitty pop album (imo). I LOVE the new music though. It sounds both like old Disclosure and totally fresh. I wonder if it's stuff for their new album, or just some "random music" they dropped. Either way, I'm very pleased with it
Just listened to the new Disclosure stuff and holy shit. Very pleasantly surprised by the new disco-influenced sound, as that is my favorite kind of house. "Love Can Be So Hard" is amazing.

Oct 27, 2017
I hope this is the right thread, but a while ago a buddy of mine noticed that almost all of Artful Dodger's stuff was completely gone from most music services (All About The Stragglers seemed to be completely unavailable digitally here in UK...). I only found out earlier today about what actually happened, and that the duo have in fact had to rename themselves as Original Dodger and have started making music again!

It nearly killed them. Hill smiles, but is not joking when he says "I'm just happy we got through it with all our limbs". The pair had assumed that the mainstream would operate in the same ad-hoc, mates-in-it-together way that kept the underground just about functional, but the industry had other ideas. So, while they went about signing different tracks to different labels, and took every booking going - to the point they were often doing eight sets a week around the party towns on the Mediterranean from Ibiza to Ayia Napa - they found themselves royally ripped off left, right and centre.

They say that they lost all the publishing money for their infernally catchy hit Moving Too Fast – 4m streams on Spotify – because they lost the printout of a fax from the Italian company that owned the rights, promising them a percentage. Likewise, the duo's 12-inch singles would sell in the tens of thousands, but they suspected certain pressing plants or labels might only account for a third of what they produced and sold, again doing the pair out of royalties (it is an open secret on the UK garage scene that such shady practices were commonplace for successful releases). By the time they both reached burn-out point early in 2001, they were so frazzled that they ended up signing away the name "for peanuts". But they were not alone: UK garage, which for a precious couple of years promised to create an entirely new blueprint for British pop, collapsed in on itself among similar mismanagement and dodginess, while the young kids on the scene took it back underground into grime and dubstep.

As someone who grew up during the early rise of UK Garage, its great to see them back and (nostalgia googles aside), I'm glad to see that they've still got it.

Dreaver

Oct 27, 2017
Just listened to the new Disclosure stuff and holy shit. Very pleasantly surprised by the new disco-influenced sound, as that is my favorite kind of house. "Love Can Be So Hard" is amazing.
Yes it's great. I hope they continue this trend. I really wonder if these are just some random tracks or part of the new album (seems weird they release so many songs pre-album release).

sd_falter

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Waheey. Only just discovered this thread. I always wondered if there was a more chinstroker friendly counterpart to the EDM thread considering having enthusiastic conversations about dub techno with Guetta fans isn't really gonna fly. ;)

Saw Skee Mask play the other day and mid set he threw down some Kyle Hall, made me wonder what happened to him as it seems like he was crazy prolific in the post dubstep days but now not so much..

DJ Stingray still occasionally plays this beast as well.

sd_falter

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
https://www.residentadvisor.net/features/3262

Cool article on Copenhagen's fast techno scene, gotta admit as soon as I see the words 140+ bpm and techno I worry but tbh I'm feeling this, musically kinda reminds me of some early Robert Hood et al. (Playlist at the bottom of the article)

Genre and scene wise what other newish developments have been exciting? Obviously breakbeat house has had a massive resurgence and post-punk/cold wave influenced output (see Minimal Wave, Dark Entries records etc) has been strong for a couple years, but apart from that and maybe South African qgom I can't think of many new, exciting/emerging scenes in recent times.. Any interesting tips?

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
New? Not sure about new, but EBM is really making a push back. That is all I can offer on that front as I'm not particularly in to it.

I like the stuff that is really mashing together genres without being completely knowing about it. S.O.N.S. is what I'm thinking here, and the resent Orbe release.

sd_falter

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Yeh good point about EBM, I sorta lump that in with the cold-wave influenced stuff because there seems to be a lot of music pulling in sounds from 80s dance in general - new beat, acid etc.

S.O.N.S. seem to be taking some elements of trance but in a less cheesy format, more interesting beat programming too. Cheers :)

Had a quick flick through Orbe, see what you mean about mashing genres as I hear lots of dub techno, Detroit, breakbeat hardcore, bleep techno influence there. Actually with the resurgence of proper electro (LA-4A, Shedbug, Helena Hauff, Stingray, Lobster Theremin etc) lately I wouldn't be surprised if bleepy stuff makes a comeback too.

Tethered Penguin

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Apologies if this post is off topic, but I'm having trouble determining what type of (at least I think it is, if I'm wrong feel free to correct me) electronic this is, does anyone know what it is?

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
BeeDog - are you BeeDog on Discogs too? Because I love seeing a familiar face external to context!

I just pressed randomise on my collection and it brought up Grant - Cranks and was reading the comments...

kev.wav

Oct 25, 2017
Waheey. Only just discovered this thread. I always wondered if there was a more chinstroker friendly counterpart to the EDM thread considering having enthusiastic conversations about dub techno with Guetta fans isn't really gonna fly. ;)

Saw Skee Mask play the other day and mid set he threw down some Kyle Hall, made me wonder what happened to him as it seems like he was crazy prolific in the post dubstep days but now not so much..

DJ Stingray still occasionally plays this beast as well.

I'm seeing Stingray on sunday and I'm super stoked

also btw I was thezerofire on gaf, there are more of you here now than when I moved to Era and I'm glad this thread exists again