• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 6137

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How does it compare to Dragons Dogma romances? The more unstable the better.
maxresdefault.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I don't know why I keep giving Piranha Bytes so many chances. Elex has the exact same issues all of their games have, and the fact that they do nothing to improve upon it is annoying as shit.

Gothic games were great for their time, despite the bad combat. Risen had one of the best worlds in any RPG I've played, while the combat was worse than ever. I appreciated how small and detailed it was in an industry where every open world tries so hard to be gigantic and meaningless, and could generally forgive the horrible combat. The sequels were really bad, which is one of the biggest disappointments of the last 10 years or so. The worlds were a lot worse (though they still had some great quests) and they didn't do anything to improve the bad gameplay.

I was expecting so much more out of Elex. Elex is the same game they always do, except somehow more unbalanced and with a completely uninteresting world and set of factions. The worlds were what kept me going in their games with terrible gameplay, but Elex is just booorrrriing. Everyone and every faction feels exactly the same, and almost no one has any personality at all. I mean, not a single character in the entire game has any sense or urgency or even seem like they give a shit at all. The environments also are boring as hell and have no personality, and the world is too big with very little that's interesting in it. A loooott of empty environments and boring ruined buildings.

Such a disappointment. This is their third franchise (I'm assuming they are gonna make sequels) in this style of game, yet they do nothing to try and improve themselves.

I have 35 hours in the game. It's still decent enough where it has that same Gothic addiction, but every single corner is riddled with bad game design and a boring ass world. I'd say in general it's a better game than Gothic 3 and Risen 3, but it's worse than all their others. But in terms of disappointment, this is by far their most disappointing title. It should have been so much more.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
So playing for a bit now, I keep running into dialogue that requires charisma checks and other things in the Berserker camp near the beginning of the game, however I don't have nearly the attributes or skills to reach them this early on, how on earth did they expect you to reach those checks since there's no way for you to be that high of a lv so early on?

I went to upgrade it and they require like 50 points in certain attributes...which seems like fairly far off at this point (I'm like 2 levels up from where you start at), most attributes are in their 10-20'ish range at this point, no where near the 50 or more many skills require.

Can you go back and talk with those characters to select them again? I Tried to talk to some people that had them and the dialogue option was no longer there, I hate feeling like I "missed" out on something.

When it comes to rpgs I tend to like expanding the dialogue as much as possible, going for high charisma and things so I don't miss out on the extra dialogue, seemed really weird that they'd throw these at you out of the gate with no clear way of you even having a chance to see that dialogue.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
So playing for a bit now, I keep running into dialogue that requires charisma checks and other things in the Berserker camp near the beginning of the game, however I don't have nearly the attributes or skills to reach them this early on, how on earth did they expect you to reach those checks since there's no way for you to be that high of a lv so early on?

I went to upgrade it and they require like 50 points in certain attributes...which seems like fairly far off at this point (I'm like 2 levels up from where you start at), most attributes are in their 10-20'ish range at this point, no where near the 50 or more many skills require.

Can you go back and talk with those characters to select them again? I Tried to talk to some people that had them and the dialogue option was no longer there, I hate feeling like I "missed" out on something.

When it comes to rpgs I tend to like expanding the dialogue as much as possible, going for high charisma and things so I don't miss out on the extra dialogue, seemed really weird that they'd throw these at you out of the gate with no clear way of you even having a chance to see that dialogue.
you will miss out on a lot, it's a game about choices and consequences.
however, most of those dialogue checks just give you 2 additional lines of dialogue and a small reward like currency, ammunition or crafting items. it's not a big deal, only in very rare cases do they actually change the story or the outcome of a quest.
you can actually start out in any of the three faction cities so that's why there are checks early on on the berserker town which seem impossible to have for most players, because most players of course start in that town.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm loving the first few hours of this. Exploring is so dangerous and rewarding, no enemies scaled to your level bullshit that plagues a lot of modern RPGs.

Okii

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone try out the new Xbox One X patch? Thinking about picking this up but I don't know if I want it on Xbox or PC.

BigDes

Knows Too Much
Oct 25, 2017
As much as I am enjoying this game I wish enemy density was lowered a tad

It feels annoying to get rushed by a mob every ten feet or so

Loganclaws

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
I'm hearing that a patch is about to be released on steam based on the registry, can someone please check and see if it's really been updated recently?

Loganclaws

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
The new patch is out on PC without any patch notes. Can someone please check their game and let us know if they made any UI changes like adding a stat screen?

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
I wish my PC was capable on running this game.

Gothic 3 (post patch and with all the mods) and Risen are among my favourite RPGs of all time.

Arx

Oct 25, 2017
What really pisses me off is that they basically removed the volumetric lighting with the last patch :-(
The game used to look pretty nice but now its just flat.

lightchris

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
What really pisses me off is that they basically removed the volumetric lighting with the last patch :-(
The game used to look pretty nice but now its just flat.

Just checked it. I don't think they removed anything. It does look a little toned down, probably to make it look more realistic. I feel that it looked more beautiful and imposing before though.

Nov 29, 2017
Pismo Beach, CA
Risen 1 = ELEX >>> Risen 3 > Risen 2

This is so true.
Risen 1 was so fucking good. But I think ELEX gets it right.I think ELEX does surpass Risen 1.

Risen 2 I did not like. And Risen 3 I liked but can't speak much as I didn't finish it (not because it was bad).

The one thing I didn't like in this game was how difficult it was sometimes. I can understand having there be danger in the game. But there was almost nowhere to go without being murdered quickly, and nothing to find that you can use. Then when you do go and try to level up via killing you get so little XP that it seems like it'd take forever. Yeah you can do the story and level up that way, but that wasn't really what I wanted to do. I put the combat on easy and turned off combat stamina. I then used a trainer to stick every skill to 61. I just wanted to use weapons I kept finding. It was annoying.

I'm not sure if I broke the experience, but it is still fun enough.

Loganclaws

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
How can Elex be as good as Risen 1 when it lacks so many basic RPG necessities like a PROPER stats screen? What the heck is PB thinking? Have they even released patch notes for today's patch yet?

Last edited:

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
I'm 20 hours in and it's a weird experience. It's definitely a bad game for me. The combat is truly awful and unbalanced. Enemies hit you in quick succession until you die since they have infinite stamina and you progress so slowly that you get thrashed again and again and again and you can do nothing about it. You try to find quests you can do and boom you get kill in 1-2 hits again. Counter says 20 hours but I probably died so many times trying to progress that it's probably 25 hours. Every weapons or armor you find cannot be used most of the time since they have insane stats requirements and past a certain points it takes two attribute point to raise a stat by 1 point. The early game was pretty awful because of the above. You try to go anywhere you die. You try to do the quests in the first area and you die. You try to get better armor and weapons and you cant because you are already missing 20+ points in some stats. Really unsatisfying. All of the combat tactics I've watched on videos are basically exploits haha. Either use the black hole from the clerics' psi amplifier which stun and knock down enemies so you spam that until they die, or use a gun with the explosion effect that knocks them down too or simply guard and let the AI partner kill stuff. Otherwise it's basically trying to circle around enemies while not getting stuck in a rock pixel or some thrash on the ground that ends with you being attacked into oblivion. It's also fairly buggy and overall ugly outside of vegetation. The UI is pretty bad too with clunky menus and lack of information.

I'm finding the lore and plot fun so far but not sure I can keep going with this for another 20 hours.

Lat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this game is so janky that I think I like it? I dunno but this game really needs an XBX patch.

Salmone_D_Oro

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I am playing Risen 3 Titanlords from the same guys who made ELEX and it's not that bad . It runs like shit but the gameplay is quite good and the dialogues aren't terrible as i thought . It's also quite challenging . It's not a 4/10 game for sure .

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I'm 10 hours in and enjoying the game a lot. Elex is a big step up from recent PB games and I dare to say it's their best work since Gothic II. I just love open-world RPGs where you can't do or go wherever you want from start, where you have to take risks to get better equipment, learn new skills and to climb the factions ranks.

Animations are clunky, some movements are unresponsive, graphics are a mixed bag and voice acting is dreadful, but no matter how janky the game feels, the atmosphere and world design are way better than most AAA RPGs out there. And as for improvements, I just wish they removed the animations for picking up items and opening the inventory. It's just annoying...

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
I'm level 11 and I'm pretty much paralyzed from choice. I want to be a laser gun wielding cleric. To get strong enough to actually join the clerics and get some HP I invested mainly in strength and constitution. I have about 36 points waiting to be spent on stats, and spent them all on dex to get the laser rifle from the clerics. It is a total piece of shit, and barely scratched anything. I have several melee weapons in my inventory that are better than my current axe, but they are all str/con weapons. I just don't know what to do. To be competitive I need to dump into str and con, but in order to get a good laser rifle I need like 65 dex and I'll never be able to kill anything if I start investing in dex right now.

Ugh, what should I do?