• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
I just picked this one up in the Steam sale. I'm hooked already. I have no idea what I'm doing but it's a lot of fun :)

Ghostavus

Nov 16, 2017
Is it possible to set the difficulty to easy in this game and just play to enjoy the world and story?

I love games with lore and interesting worlds, but sadly I just don't have the time to put a lot of time into mastering games anymore. I like to be able to just cruise and enjoy of that makes sense. Thanks!

Bog

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I got this for $15. My friend Jason Rowa already put in more than 40 hours since I got it last week.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
Is it possible to set the difficulty to easy in this game and just play to enjoy the world and story?

I love games with lore and interesting worlds, but sadly I just don't have the time to put a lot of time into mastering games anymore. I like to be able to just cruise and enjoy of that makes sense. Thanks!

This game really won't be for you judging from those points. It's really hard (especiall in the first few dozen hours) its characters and lore aren't very interesting or special. You got to love that challenge, love encountering enemies you have no chance against only to finaly find out what they were guarding 30 hours later, love exploring an incredibly lived in and detailed world that's not welcoming at all and will frequentely kick your ass, love the RPG aspects of really having to work for every piece of equipment, every weapon and finally feel that immense sense of accomplishment when entering a faction after countless hours.

What is the best way to get a better armor and weapons

There's no easy way. If you want something in these games, you gotta work for it. And that means talking to a lot of NPCs and exploring quite a bit :)

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bought the game on the Steam sale after being wary of the criticism, but aww yiiiissss, this game is giving me the sweet, sweet Eurojank goodness straight into my veins.

The only criticism I have is that the textures aren't very good. I love the menus and controls, it feels so early 2000s!

I unironically love the old school PC rpg feel, too many games feels console-ified.

ELEX also runs really well, I have everything maxxed at 1440 and am over 90 fps.

IMACOMPUTA

Oct 27, 2017
Any comparisons between PS4 pro and Xbox one x? I'm thinking about picking this up.

Or is PC the way to go? Framerate on console?

wombleac

Nov 8, 2017
I love when this thread pops up. Beat it last week and did all side quests I could find plus the Outlaw faction quests. I clocked right at 50 hours.

I did abuse the merchant glitch to get OP b/c I have limited gaming time, but I did explore every inch of this world. Everything takes it self so seriously yet everything is so ridiculous. Raptors, jet packs, cults, outlaws, space drugs, Nasty, mutants, giant bugs, baby birds, cave birds, heart plants and on and on.

I'll probably go back and platinum it at some point.

ELEX RULES!!!

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
I love when this thread pops up. Beat it last week and did all side quests I could find plus the Outlaw faction quests. I clocked right at 50 hours.

I did abuse the merchant glitch to get OP b/c I have limited gaming time, but I did explore every inch of this world. Everything takes it self so seriously yet everything is so ridiculous. Raptors, jet packs, cults, outlaws, space drugs, Nasty, mutants, giant bugs, baby birds, cave birds, heart plants and on and on.

I'll probably go back and platinum it at some point.

ELEX RULES!!!

Wow, great review.

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
I've had the game for 2 weeks and I've put like 55hrs into it. The game is amazing.

What truly astounds me is just how much dialogue is in it. The story is pretty well done. I'm tempted to skip some of the audio at times but I'm afraid of missing something.

The script for the game must have been >500pgs.

One really interested thing I've noticed is there are literally no closed doors you can open in the game. (Well, almost none)

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Glad to see this thread popping up. I loved my time with ELEX, even as I cursed it. Of course the balancing patch hit the PS4 just as i was finishing up.

I can't remember another game that had me constantly weighing my options over which faction to join. Except the Outlaws. Fuck those assholes.

Silent Disco

Oct 26, 2017
USA
Hows elex on xbox one x compared to ps4pro,does it look better or run better?

Any comparisons between PS4 pro and Xbox one x? I'm thinking about picking this up.

Or is PC the way to go? Framerate on console?

sorry for the late response.

I have Elex on both PS4 Pro & Xbox One X and play on a Sony 4K TV. Its better on the Xbox One X since last update. Im sure PC is the way to go if that's possible but for me I strictly only console game these days as i'm mainly in front of a pc all day for work and therefore the last thing i want to do when i get home is sit upright at my computer desk... sprawling out on couch playing games on a 55" tv is just my preference for unwinding at night. Yes I know you can do that with a pc too but i just choose not to.

Elex now runs great (meaning; fine. obviously it runs better on pc) on both PS4Pro & X1X but I think it runs/looks better on the X1X. i think it runs at a higher resolution on X1X? but don't quote me. on the X1X i play in performance mode with the xbox set to output everything in 4K.

and one last thing... i play this game for the game design/mechanics. on consoles there are better choices for graphics/animations/game-play so keep expectations in check. this isn't slick like dark souls combat or pretty like AC:Origins.

Classicrock78

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
San Antonio
sorry for the late response.

I have Elex on both PS4 Pro & Xbox One X and play on a Sony 4K TV. Its better on the Xbox One X since last update. Im sure PC is the way to go if that's possible but for me I strictly only console game these days as i'm mainly in front of a pc all day for work and therefore the last thing i want to do when i get home is sit upright at my computer desk... sprawling out on couch playing games on a 55" tv is just my preference for unwinding at night. Yes I know you can do that with a pc too but i just choose not to.

Elex now runs great (meaning; fine. obviously it runs better on pc) on both PS4Pro & X1X but I think it runs/looks better on the X1X. i think it runs at a higher resolution on X1X? but don't quote me. on the X1X i play in performance mode with the xbox set to output everything in 4K.

and one last thing... i play this game for the game design/mechanics. on consoles there are better choices for graphics/animations/game-play so keep expectations in check. this isn't slick like dark souls combat or pretty like AC:Origins.
Thanks for the reply I appreciate it.

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
Hah. I was using a bow and I got shot by an Alb robot just as I was shooting and it broke my arrow mid-air. First time I ever saw that and I've been playing the game like 100+ hrs.

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
It's next on my backlog after Assassins Creed Origins which I'm almost done with the main quest and then onto the dlc's.

Deleted member 2533

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This game is hard tho. It kinda sucks doing half a quest and thinking, "this is okay" and then the other half is like 14 enemies in an area that all one-hit you.

It's still early for me, only about 10hrs into the game and my stats are in the low 30s.

I think maybe I'll min-max, but there are so many skills that I've ended up being very balanced. It's also only now that I've reached the 30s in stats that I see that stats get more expensive as they increase as well, so getting up to 55 for some equipment is really far off.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
This game is hard tho. It kinda sucks doing half a quest and thinking, "this is okay" and then the other half is like 14 enemies in an area that all one-hit you.

It's still early for me, only about 10hrs into the game and my stats are in the low 30s.

I think maybe I'll min-max, but there are so many skills that I've ended up being very balanced. It's also only now that I've reached the 30s in stats that I see that stats get more expensive as they increase as well, so getting up to 55 for some equipment is really far off.
you are supposed to be underpowered at least until you join a faction and get some decent gear and abilities. don't worry about it, it makes the payoff so much sweeter, I think I spent 20 hours without joining a faction and getting my ass kicked. you are supposed to find ways around enemies, lure them to stronger enemies who will attack them.

min maxing doesn't exist in this game either, it's best played as a jack of all trades and end game gear and skills require several attributes anyway so just level them all up.

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
I've done so many things and killed so many people where it says "this will change the course of the game" I'm really wondering how it's going to turn out.

I also keep discovering new places even though I have 82hrs invested.

Sketchsanchez

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just got the game and I'm 5 hours in and I'm in love. I run away from A Lot but I have managed to kill some things but I'm absolutely enthralled with the world which just feels so dangerous

I'm stuck with a rusty hatchet cuz I've either not had enough shards or not the right stats. So far I've also found two rad swords I can't use. One of them was in a stone, how awesome is that?

My only gripe is due to its lower budget but it rains alot and looks awful and night time is so well lit it feels like an overcast afternoon lol

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Picked up my 20 hour save on this.

I'm having a great time, but damn this game has serious frame rate issues on my Pro. It goes from 60 to 15 fps for extended periods at times. I dont remember it being this bad before. Was this introduced in a patch?

The most annoying issue is that the map/menu takes longer and longer to come up the longer you play. After 2 hours, it takes like 5 seconds to come up after pressing the button. Restarting the whole game from dashboard fixes this, but it's very annoying to have to reboot the game every 2 hours. Is there any other way to fix this issue, or some way to avoid it happening?

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
The game is on sale on Steam for 19.99, FYI.

I decided to pick up the PC version because the map thing on PS4 was driving me crazy.

The game performs at a rock solid 60 fps with all settings on highest with my 1070. And there is no map pausing bug. I think the graphics also look a bit better than the PS Pro as well.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What is the state of this game right now? All patched up?

I got the game at launch but never really did more than fire it up.

Is now the time to play or are there reasons to wait?

Oct 27, 2017
Southend on Sea, UK
Go for it. Its had several patches on all platforms. Now nearly a year after launch - I don't think anything new is going to happen. Enjoy. A great time is ready to be had if you've got the constitution and mind set for a Piranha Bytes joint.

OP
OP
His Majesty

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
What is the state of this game right now? All patched up?

I got the game at launch but never really did more than fire it up.

Is now the time to play or are there reasons to wait?
I doubt more patches are coming and there aren't any major issues on PC. No idea about the console versions.

I'd say go for it! Glorious eurojank awaits.

BGA

Oct 26, 2017
I started the game yesterday on PS4 and I'm quite overwhelmed. I really need to understand the mechanics of the game.

Deleted member 2533

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just beat it, loved it. Took about 40 hours.

I was having trouble with not having enough stats, but oh man, if you craft a wack of Elex potions and drink them all...

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I picked this up in the current PS4 sale, the exploration praise sold me on it. I can deal with Eurojank, The Witcher 1 is in my top 5 RPGs of all time, and combat in the jankier western examples like Elderscrolls never bothers me.

Question: I've been reading up ITT and other places, I see that they added a bunch of difficulty options to the game in a later patch that wasn't there when the game was reviewed etc...

Are there any of these options I should tweak for a better experience in your opinion? Or should I leave them all at default?

OP
OP
His Majesty

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I picked this up in the current PS4 sale, the exploration praise sold me on it. I can deal with Eurojank, The Witcher 1 is in my top 5 RPGs of all time, and combat in the jankier western examples like Elderscrolls never bothers me.

Question: I've been reading up ITT and other places, I see that they added a bunch of difficulty options to the game in a later patch that wasn't there when the game was reviewed etc...

Are there any of these options I should tweak for a better experience in your opinion? Or should I leave them all at default?
The vanilla game could be very difficult in the beginning, no idea about the added difficulty settings. Just know that you'll encounter a lot of monsters that you won't be able to defeat initially and should probably run away from.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
The vanilla game could be very difficult in the beginning, no idea about the added difficulty settings. Just know that you'll encounter a lot of monsters that you won't be able to defeat initially and should probably run away from.

These are the settings I mean:

Player Damage - Easy / Normal / Difficult / Ultra (how much damage you inflict)
Enemy Damage - (same as above, how much damage you take)
Stamina cost - (same as above)
Combo difficulty - (same as above)

These are the main ones I'm interested in, in your experience with the game would tweaking any of these improve things?

OP
OP
His Majesty

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
These are the settings I mean:

Player Damage - Easy / Normal / Difficult / Ultra (how much damage you inflict)
Enemy Damage - (same as above, how much damage you take)
Stamina cost - (same as above)
Combo difficulty - (same as above)

These are the main ones I'm interested in, in your experience with the game would tweaking any of these improve things?
Weren't these settings already there from the start? I think I finished it on difficult, which is hard at the start but makes the progression very satisfying.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Weren't these settings already there from the start? I think I finished it on difficult, which is hard at the start but makes the progression very satisfying.

Sorry for the double post but i have one more question.

What are the main reasons for choosing each faction? I prefer the idea of using tech in place of magic, and I prefer ranged over melee in games like these.

I've read ranged isn't as good as melee, but is there a faction that is more suited to it that works well? Is there any clear superior faction, or is it really whatever you prefer?

OP
OP
His Majesty

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Sorry for the double post but i have one more question.

What are the main reasons for choosing each faction? I prefer the idea of using tech in place of magic, and I prefer ranged over melee in games like these.

I've read ranged isn't as good as melee, but is there a faction that is more suited to it that works well? Is there any clear superior faction, or is it really whatever you prefer?
I chose based on what I liked visually haha. Basically:

- Berserkers: magic and melee
- Clerics: tech and guns
- Outlaws: drugs

I went with a melee outlaws character. Didn't really like guns but you can test out everything beforehand as well visit all the factions before making a choice.