• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Trode

Mar 27, 2018
I love Piranha Bytes and their games but I feel they've never managed to reach the same magic as Gothic 2 with Risen. From what I've read so far in this thread though, Elex seems to be a return to some of those Gothic principles. Might even buy the unpatched console version.

Deleted member 11995

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
I don't think I can get into this game. The Jank will defeat me.

Also, why did everyone in the first settlement shout at me whenever I tried to look at my codex or map :-(

Deleted member 11995

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Yeah I know, Berserkers hate tech. I got that message.

Seems to me that it would've been a good idea to either not introduce them first (you know, because I'm just getting used to the game and want to be checking all my info quite regularly for the first couple of hours), or maybe to put the map and stuff in the pause menu. It doesn't make for an especially smooth introduction to the game.

It's just a tiny little example of how user-unfriendly the game is shaping up to be, for me.

Oct 27, 2017
Southend on Sea, UK
I love Piranha Bytes and their games but I feel they've never managed to reach the same magic as Gothic 2 with Risen. From what I've read so far in this thread though, Elex seems to be a return to some of those Gothic principles. Might even buy the unpatched console version.
The consoles have had three patches. The last one just a couple of weeks ago - which fixed a load of bugs and enabled 4Kish modes on the Pro and X. If you've played and enjoyed any PB games before then Elex has plenty to offer you.

Einherjer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Just picked this up since it was down to 25 bucks on steam damn i hope it's really as good as you ppl say it is.

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I know, Berserkers hate tech. I got that message.

Seems to me that it would've been a good idea to either not introduce them first (you know, because I'm just getting used to the game and want to be checking all my info quite regularly for the first couple of hours), or maybe to put the map and stuff in the pause menu. It doesn't make for an especially smooth introduction to the game.

It's just a tiny little example of how user-unfriendly the game is shaping up to be, for me.
Funny, I thought it was a nice touch. And introducing Berserkers first was basically to make old Gothic 2 players know "hey, this is basically Gothic 2 again!" since Goliet and its surroundings are so reminiscent of good old Khorinis.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
The whole point of the PB formula is that the game is brutal at first, and as you slowly grind the ranks you end up being a demigod who just racks kills for breakfast. So yes, it's unfriendly at first.

dabri

Nov 2, 2017
What exactly is eurojank

Edit: never mind. Google found an old gag thread explaining.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
i just want to say.........I hated Gothic insanely....and i mean hated the jank.

But somehow the jank in this is tolerable.....and tolerable to the point where I can't stop fucking playing it. The amount of quests, dialogue, world building and choices for carrying out quests are literally insane.

If these guys ever had a budget behind them, they literally would be on CD Projekt's level in terms of a game.

Oct 25, 2017
I had never played a pb game before but this game is damned good. This ended up hooking me way harder than I expected it to. I would take this over Fallout 3 or 4 any day. I would love to see what this team could do with a AAA budget

Jerykk

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
i just want to say.........I hated Gothic insanely....and i mean hated the jank.

But somehow the jank in this is tolerable.....and tolerable to the point where I can't stop fucking playing it. The amount of quests, dialogue, world building and choices for carrying out quests are literally insane.

If these guys ever had a budget behind them, they literally would be on CD Projekt's level in terms of a game.

I don't know about that. Even with a bigger budget, PB would still make some questionable design choices. There are tons of little tweaks and changes they could have easily made in Elex that would have greatly improved combat and traversal.

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
So, what's the combat like in this game? I don't mind jank as long as it's fun

It's not very good but I think melee is definitely more developed than other options. There's a bit of a combo meter with melee where your attacks do more damage the longer you sustain and then you can unleash a really strong attack, getting the most out of it will allow you to do quite a bit of damage even early in the game. Later on you can unlock a flying jetpack attack that is actually a lot of fun.

Last edited:

Gizamaluke

Oct 28, 2017
I would take this over Fallout 3 or 4 any day. I would love to see what this team could do with a AAA budget

Absolutely. ELEX is not without it's flaws (mainly the brutal first 5 hours) but get past those and it does post apocalypse way better than Bethesda, which is no small feat considering the difference in budget. By the end, I adored ELEX and the 10 hours running up to its conclusion, where I finally felt badass enough to mop up hard quests and search every corner of the world before making my final choices were some of my finest hours in gaming last year. I mean, up there with BotW good.

Deleted member 32101

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
It has all the values from a typical German game production; Bugs, glitches and a mediocre execution of otherwise intersting ideas.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Southend on Sea, UK
I can't confirm because I sold it, but I have been seeing videos this week with last patch for PS4 Pro and I'm sure they downgraded graphics on PS4. The game was unstable 60fps and now looks like unstable 30 fps, lighting looks like was downgraded too.
I actually took screenshots from my save points as the patch was downloading and then again after it was installed to see if I could see any difference. I didn't notice much of a difference, but I'm only on a 1080p TV on PS4 Pro. I'll try and host the screenshots on abload and link them here once my son and nephew stop hogging the PS4 and the PC playing Fortnite - we could be waiting a while though!

I haven't played much since the patch - but I do think the framerate took a bit of a hit. But I did expect that once 4K modes were coming.

Oct 27, 2017
Southend on Sea, UK
elex_20180322160541efr0g.png
elex_20180322192953lyopy.png

So the first picture is patch 1.02 on PS4 Pro and the second is 1.03 on Pro. Colours have changed for sure, partly due to the changes to lighting and dynamic weather and the AA solution they were previously using. If you look at the distant buildings on the second set of pictures - you can clearly see the resolution bump though.

Einherjer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Game is really great so far 10 hours in way better then i expected after some of the reviews i read online.
Here are some mods for the pc version i'm using to improve the gfx a bit:
Small sweetfx to remove the excessive blue tint they seem to have added it in one of the last patches (there is also a mod to change the weather back on Nexus but i like the new weather better so this is the best choice for me):
https://www72.zippyshare.com/v/8hwXKijO/file.html

More and better looking Vegetation: https://forum.worldofplayers.de/forum/threads/1504790-Elex-NeffO´s-Vegetation-Mod-1-0
Fog Tweaker: https://www.nexusmods.com/elex/mods/3/ adjusted looks best in my opinion.

There are few more nice mods on those pages especially: https://www.nexusmods.com/elex/mods/13 and https://forum.worldofplayers.de/for...Helmet-s-with-Item-Sight-buff-from-Sunglasses.

Last edited:

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What if they win the champions league? :o
As discussed in the Footy thread, I'm to change my avatar to a truly heinous full kit wanker if we progress to the Semi's (looking likely) and there's been lots of high brow discussion about hoe football = anime. So I must have an LFC anime waif tattooed on me if we win the whole thing.

anthraxus

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Just embrace it as a seal of quality. When somebody calls a game janky, my interest is immediately piqued.
Yea, reminds me when I see a review from a site like IGN or something and many of their negatives will actually be positives for me and vice versa.

Their priorities seem to lie with high production values over interesting game design.

Xaero Gravity

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I keep going back and forth as to whether or not I should pick it up. It looks incredibly interesting, but I keep hearing just as many bad things about it as I am good things.

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
The sense of progression in PB games is always hard as nails, in the best way. You'll be running from enemies for a good portion of the game and then you start getting a foot hold. By the end youre hate fucking everything.

AlternateAir

Oct 27, 2017
Finally did the double dip on this with the Xbox One X patch, and the recent sale. Thankfully it's been long enough that I don't terribly mind replaying the opening bits, but I am in a hurry to get my faction selected.

Also the X patch is... not great? Like it looks better for sure, but the frame rate isn't great, and there is some pretty noticeable frame tearing going on. Thankfully, it seems like dropping it down to 'performance' mode gets you up to 60fps pretty solidly, but with everything going a bit soft. I've been bouncing back and forth between the two flavors honestly. Can't decide which I like better as neither is really perfect, but also neither is terrible either.

BlackSalad

Oct 27, 2017
It has better framerate on the pro compared to base ps4 but still starts to chug during continuous play after a couple hours, nothing reloading the game doesn't fix but still annoying