• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Saya

Oct 25, 2017

NY Daily News

An elite Brooklyn private school has been thrown into chaos by a racist blackface video filmed and circulated by students, the Daily News has learned.

World-famous Poly Prep Day School in Dyker Heights was reeling this week over a video of white students in blackface jumping around making monkey noises, school sources said.

In a part of the footage provided to the Daily News, two white female students can be seen laughing as they jump like primates and mug for the camera with their faces painted black.

The video made the rounds at the posh private school last week, which counts musician Jon Bon Jovi's son and professional basketball player Joakim Noah as alums.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
that picture looks like it could be a still image from a James Wan film

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I guess I'm old, but when I was their age, racism just wasn't cool. It was rather lame. I have no idea why racism became "cool" with the younger set.

Anyone know what the hell happened?

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
See? It has nothing to do with age, class, sex, education, etc.

We need to stop acting like this is a "redneck America" problem.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I guess I'm old, but when I was their age, racism just wasn't cool. It was rather lame. I have no idea why racism became "cool" with the younger set.

I grew up in Indiana outside Indianapolis (class of '03) and in my 4-star suburban middle and high schools kids were aggressively using racist, misogynistic and homophobic language all the times. Hell, they even bullied the mentally handicapped kids and got away with it.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017

I think it was probably always there...now everyone has a camera in their pocket though, so it's on full display.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

I teach 15 year olds. It's the internet. 4chan, youtubers, memes, etc. It's extremely complex, but I'd argue a lot of it started with gamergate. There's a huge movement to radicalize young white men on the internet.

Important edit: Not say that it hasn't always been there, just saying why it's getting more attention and seems to be more widespread lately.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I teach 15 year olds. It's the internet. 4chan, youtubers, memes, etc. It's extremely complex, but I'd argue a lot of it started with gamergate. There's a huge movement to radicalize young white men on the internet.
These are young women, though. Are they going to these sites? Those sites seem heavily male. Maybe there's spillover.

Koo

Dec 10, 2017
You'd think they'd at least not record themselves doing it. Zero brain cells in their heads. Punishment for things like this need to be severe and across the country. There was some other video just yesterday of someone in blackface saying the n-word. Like c'mon! Stop this shit immediately!

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
Let me just say that I'm not shocked all that much here. I'll leave it there.

Hopefully they get it together because the school is - or at least has been in the past - better than that shit.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
"Thrown into chaos."

There's a way to fix the turmoil, Poly Prep.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
You'd think they'd at least not record themselves doing it. Zero brain cells in their heads. Punishment for things like this need to be severe and across the country. There was some other video just yesterday of someone in blackface saying the n-word. Like c'mon! Stop this shit immediately!
But its so easy. Every girl uses thoses black charcoal face masks and snapchat. How could they resist such a hilarious combination? I'd feel bad for them if they weren't racist assholes. Its almost like dumb racist entrapment at this point.

Bonefish

Oct 28, 2017
This sort of behavior is pretty much the norm in schools like this I'd imagine. I went to a fairly expensive high school like the one described here and was pretty much 100% white. Racism was already rampant then, there just wasn't any Snapchat or instagram to leak it...

Mar 10, 2018
Racism won't die with the older generation.

Actually I'm not sure if it ever will.

And if it does, it will take muuuuuuuuuuuuuch longer than we think.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017

Nah I respectfully disagree, people don't magically become racist because of websites. It's the parents. Your personality and moral compass are moulded, in part, by them. If their parents objectify certain people, their kids pick up that behaviour and follow suit. Couple that bigotry with privilege and entitlement and you get these idiots mugging for the camera without any self awareness or fear of repercussion.

The USA is a very young country, born through oppression and enslavement of minorities. All these threads on Era lately is us still seeing the aftermath of that birth. These kids great-grandparents owned slaves. That's how young the country is, and how recently the slave trade was outlawed. Bigotry isn't going to filter and get weaker through the generations quickly, it's going to take a long time. And unfortunately the current administration isn't going to implement policies to make the country more progressive, improve the education system, make cops face punishment for their actions, etc, etc. The exact opposite in fact. :|

Oct 31, 2017
racism is traditional like our holidays and names of our streets. Yes, the internet is a very effective tool for radicalizing but racist mocking like this is American tradition that has never really gone away. and it's definitely not just "low class" whites who embrace the tradition of racism; it's America

It fucking sucks though. For the vast majority of American history, Black people have just being trying to survive and this stuff is what we have to deal with on top of life itself being hard.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I guess there's always some desire for younger generations to be edgy and countercultural. Not being racist is PC now, so teens choose to be racist to "stick it to the man"? As fucked up as that is.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Heh, I also went to an elite Brooklyn private school where an extremely similar incident occurred. Was half expecting to see that schools name show up.

Oct 27, 2017

Internet + racist president + a political party that doesn't denounce it. These dumbshits just keep trying to outdo one another.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
It's not just that. Kids these days have many more avenues to ingest and get influenced by racist beliefs.
On the other hand, those avenues have also provided opportunities to be able to expose these incidents on a much wider, and more public scale to be scrutinized by not just their racist friends, but everyone.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
I'm in my early thirties, and the one time I got into a fight in high school was when a kid came up to me during PE and asked me, seriously (or jokingly, don't care), if my skin color washed off when I showered, as if my skin naturally secreted dirt.

This was in Los Angeles.

This ain't new.

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

There's many answers to this question that all maybe valid but it's important to know that racism never disappeared.

Trickstah

Banned
Sep 16, 2018

It has always been there, but I think once Trump got elected, everything just got heightened in a sense. Someone needs to just hit the reset button on humanity.

Nerdyone

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I grew up in Indiana outside Indianapolis (class of '03) and in my 4-star suburban middle and high schools kids were aggressively using racist, misogynistic and homophobic language all the times. Hell, they even bullied the mentally handicapped kids and got away with it.
I graduated in 94 from a very nice suburb outside of Philadelphia. Racism was looked down upon where I grew up.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
smfh...be better than this shit NY. (and America obviously but I know that's a much harder/longer fight).

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
Racism was always there.
When I grew up in Germany, in the '90s, it was frowned upon to be racist (at least in my part of East-Germany). That doesn't mean that there were no racists, just that they weren't openly racist. They didn't want to be associated with skinheads, who were seen as imbecile no-gooders.
Don't know how it is now in the schools.

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Blaming racism amongst the youth on the internet is some short sighted poppycock. The internet has just allowed the racism that's always been there to be more easily propagated and publicized.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. I know. But I'm talking about teenagers specifically.

Teens have never had a problem with racism. It's always been cool to punch down. It doesn't matter the time period teens have always made racist "jokes" with their friends it's just now that you can have hundreds of "friends" on social media the likely hood of one of them ratting you out increases.
tx_lynching_detail.jpg

Dec 12, 2017
This sort of behavior is pretty much the norm in schools like this I'd imagine. I went to a fairly expensive high school like the one described here and was pretty much 100% white. Racism was already rampant then, there just wasn't any Snapchat or instagram to leak it...
I went to both public (mixed) and private (mostly white) schools in LA and never experienced this type of shit.

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
Nah I respectfully disagree, people don't magically become racist because of websites. It's the parents. Your personality and moral compass are moulded, in part, by them. If their parents objectify certain people, their kids pick up that behaviour and follow suit. Couple that bigotry with privilege and entitlement and you get these idiots mugging for the camera without any self awareness or fear of repercussion.

The USA is a very young country, born through oppression and enslavement of minorities. All these threads on Era lately is us still seeing the aftermath of that birth. These kids great-grandparents owned slaves. That's how young the country is, and how recently the slave trade was outlawed. Bigotry isn't going to filter and get weaker through the generations quickly, it's going to take a long time. And unfortunately the current administration isn't going to implement policies to make the country more progressive, improve the education system, make cops face punishment for their actions, etc, etc. The exact opposite in fact. :|
I endorse this take