• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, that sounds like a private school. Not saying this doesn't exist at public schools, but at least you're more likely to get called out by your peers.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is me, coming into this story and the Catholic school story.

NSFL Mulholland Drive spoiler and horrible visual that the thumbnails immediately reminded me of.

3rXwXny.gif

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah I respectfully disagree, people don't magically become racist because of websites.

It's dangerous to understimate how powerful peer acceptance and groupthink can be, even in a vacuum. In fact, plenty of formerly nice kids, with progressive parents and prior influences, are now card carrying racists because they wanted to belong to a group. Most of the loud racists probably did come from environments where that was a natural or predictable outcome. But by no means all of them. And both things need to be addressed. If we ignore the fact that this racism is being fomented as well as simply evolving, we're going to have a massive infection. And unformed young minds aren't just malleable for bad people to take advantage of. Good people should be trying to catch this before it happens, or before it's too late to undo.

Nah I respectfully disagree, people don't magically become racist because of websites. It's the parents. Your personality and moral compass are moulded, in part, by them. If their parents objectify certain people, their kids pick up that behaviour and follow suit. Couple that bigotry with privilege and entitlement and you get these idiots mugging for the camera without any self awareness or fear of repercussion.

The USA is a very young country, born through oppression and enslavement of minorities. All these threads on Era lately is us still seeing the aftermath of that birth. These kids great-grandparents owned slaves. That's how young the country is, and how recently the slave trade was outlawed. Bigotry isn't going to filter and get weaker through the generations quickly, it's going to take a long time. And unfortunately the current administration isn't going to implement policies to make the country more progressive, improve the education system, make cops face punishment for their actions, etc, etc. The exact opposite in fact. :|

I don't disagree with your premise but it's supremely dangerous to think that this racism is a mostly historical artifact or hangover - it's certainly a direct consequence of our country's history and youth - but this is deliberate resurgence of racism - being fed and amplified on purpose by outside vectors, but much more disturbingly, by elected officials who are either enthusiastic and passionate racists themselves, or in many cases, simply see it as a way to assemble, corrall and grow a base, or get elected. They're not simply taking advantage of it, they're trying to grow it and increase it as a deliberate strategy - and literally creating new racists too. This will be one of the scariest aspects of the Trump legacy. Hopefully it can become a clarion call to clean house.

But it's not just historical or institutional -Teenagers who previously would have been oblivious to or even progressive on issues of race through normal peer influences, are now being encouraged to do this shit - on top of the not-inconsiderable number of underlying extant racists, I mean.

It's a resurgence and a trend, not just a hangover from a tumultuous history. And yes, their parents are either missing this entirely, encouraging it or not taking adequate steps to see what their kids are like.

This little private school, unlike the catholic school, will probably be horrified institutionally that this is happening - whereas the cathpoic school in the other story actually contributed to putting those maga kids directly into the situation having embraced some of those elements in its very charter.

A brooklyn private prep school I suspect will try to fix this (although my first read of the other school was pre the realization that the school is like that on purpose...) impotently, without adequately punishing ther students, but as an institution, unlike the other school, probably wishes this didn't exist and if it could press a magic button, make it go away.

My daily reminder to people to not go after children or schools where innocent students could be endangered via proximity. But the school will aslo need to take responsibility publicly to defuse this and make sure it's an aberration.

Last edited:

HyGogg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I guess I'm old, but when I was their age, racism just wasn't cool. It was rather lame. I have no idea why racism became "cool" with the younger set.

Anyone know what the hell happened?
Racism was always there, but it was spoken about in hushed tones to "safe" company. The internet airs a lot of this stuff out that we just wouldn't see before.

Racism is still considered super not cool and antisocial among most kids today, but the others have gotten more visible and more obnoxious, especially once they find each other on social media and encourage each other.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah I respectfully disagree, people don't magically become racist because of websites.
Racism was always there, but it was spoken about in hushed tones to "safe" company. The internet airs a lot of this stuff out that we just wouldn't see before.

Racism is still considered super not cool and antisocial among most kids today, but the others have gotten more visible and more obnoxious, especially once they find each other on social media and encourage each other.

People can ironically use something as open as the internet to create self-selected bubbles of confirmation bias and information filtering. And again, while I think that those bubbles can become safe spaces for extant racists to say their stupid shit, there's also a worrrying phenomenon of previously progressive or accepting young people, choosing group acceptance over their own existing moral or ethical standards, and evolving into behaviors or beliefs they previously didn't hold. And that's a spiral that gets more pronounced the deeper people go. There's no racists on my Facebook feed because I challenge them - and if it's not a typo or they double down, I delete them. Somebody once said that was the creation of the very bubble I suggested racists live in. Which is true in a vacuum, but we don't live in a vacuum, we live in an objective reality where racism has no moral or practical value to the successful function of a society.

They don't need a voice and they should not be represented - because like vaccine conspirators, they are doing net harm to the common social good and adding nothing. There's no scientific basis underlying their racism.

Claimed economic or crime concerns are either totally false, or self-fulfilling prophecy. The other totems racists tend to use for justificition are Cultural rejections - let's use the Burqa as an outlier example - are usually exaggerated fears, or irrelevant distant concepts, but furthermore have no underlying bearing on race whatsoever. They're cultural disputes. Those should always be discussed openly and rationally. It's also funny to see the some of the same people claiming a Burqa oppresses and commoditizes women (which I personally think it does) are the same people flipping out because Gillette suggested we should maybe report rapists or step in to protect our daughters and moms from being harassed.

But racism? There's no productive good coming from it. And giving it a voice is like exposing people to a disease. We can't have a chicken pox party for racism because that's not how innoculation or immunity work. And because being exposed to racism isn't going to eventually immunize you from racism.

Jersey_Tom

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
I guess I'm old, but when I was their age, racism just wasn't cool. It was rather lame. I have no idea why racism became "cool" with the younger set.

Nothing's changed.

It's just that dipshit kids now have access to social media for the world to see their exploits.

Deleted member 36543

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 20, 2017
I teach 15 year olds. It's the internet. 4chan, youtubers, memes, etc. It's extremely complex, but I'd argue a lot of it started with gamergate. There's a huge movement to radicalize young white men on the internet.

Important edit: Not say that it hasn't always been there, just saying why it's getting more attention and seems to be more widespread lately.
This.

DrFunk

Oct 25, 2017
I teach 15 year olds. It's the internet. 4chan, youtubers, memes, etc. It's extremely complex, but I'd argue a lot of it started with gamergate. There's a huge movement to radicalize young white men on the internet.

Important edit: Not say that it hasn't always been there, just saying why it's getting more attention and seems to be more widespread lately.

Yeeeep

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA

As someone who has worked in public schools for a decade and a half (even in liberal and diverse areas), I can confirm how very fucking untrue this is.

Last edited:

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What's the story on the walk out? Is that in response to the racism or the girl leaving?

John Doe

Avenger
Jan 24, 2018
Here's what I don't understand.

If racism is so looked down upon and considered uncool by so many people in society, teens in school and I assume that extends to work places.

Why is society so racist? Why is systematic racism still a thing?

I feel like I live in a world where everyone constantly says how much racists are shunned and are very much an out group in society, yet the world is still very fucking racist.

I can't reconcile those two things.

Then again, most people's benchmark for not being racist is not using the N-word or other racial slurs in public

Deleted member 8118

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
These kids are fucking around with serious shit yet there's no ramifications for what they do. The US needs to go into levels of German Nazism apology in order to try and curb this, but I'm too optimistic because I highly doubt that'll happen.

The chaotic part in me wants there to be a Rodney King level of riots, burning down any thing that these rich cunt's families have touched, I want the repercussions of racism to be on their fucking doorsteps in a matter of minutes after these kids post shit just so that they understand that this is apart of a history that does not need repeating.

Maybe that's just wishful, but I'm so disappointed with the current youth. It's like they're detached from reality, where everything is a joke, meme or Twitter status that needs likes or upvotes.

Paz

Nov 1, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
I literally can't imagine being present for a conversation someone has that results in them painting their faces black, jumping around making animal noises, and asking somene to film them. It's just so utterly absurd and horrible.

Eugene's Axe

Jan 17, 2019
Hello everyone, this is my first post.
Just wanted to say thank you for making this one of the few places on the internet where racism is not seen as the coolest thing among young people. It really gives me some hope that not everything has gone to shit nowadays.

Deleted member 8118

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hello everyone, this is my first post.
Just wanted to say thank you for making this one of the few places on the internet where racism is not seen as the coolest thing among young people. It really gives me some hope that not everything has gone to shit nowadays.
Welcome.

There are racists on this site but we air them out pretty fast.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Here's what I don't understand.

If racism is so looked down upon and considered uncool by so many people in society, teens in school and I assume that extends to work places.

Why is society so racist? Why is systematic racism still a thing?

I feel like I live in a world where everyone constantly says how much racists are shunned and are very much an out group in society, yet the world is still very fucking racist.

I can't reconcile those two things.

Then again, most people's benchmark for not being racist is not using the N-word or other racial slurs in public

Just wanted to say this a good post. Glad stories like this come out more and more so people can stop pretending racism is isolated to some area, class , age or gender. Racism is what America is about and most participate in it with out even realizing it all the while pointer their fingers to those racist over there.

Oct 25, 2017

Racist jokes were made and shared on the internet, but there was never the level of content there is now. You knew of sites/boards where it happened, but you needed to actively seek those out. Now kids can gain access to a multitude of articles, memes, and videos to conform to their ignorant racist shit

Aiustis

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Cybertronic Purgatory

PanickyFool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fixed that for ya pal. Long Island is segregated as all fuck. Go upstate and it's like going down south and back in time 20 years. Whole state is like that.
I don't disagree, but people tend to exclude NYC from the conversation of racism and there is a shit load of it here. So I explicitly call out NYC whenever I can.

Last edited:

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
These are young women, though. Are they going to these sites? Those sites seem heavily male. Maybe there's spillover.

I'm sure plenty of young women go on those sites.

hell, I saw a young black women streamer on twitch using 4chan speak (apparently, i had to look that shit up at the time) and talking like richard fucking spencer.

the internet can really do a number on people.

(not that these girls couldn't just be getting their racism from parents and shit like that).

Nov 26, 2018

Racism has always been prevalent. I saw it with my New Yorker relatives to the people in the south who would give my husband and I dirty looks. Instant video recording equipment is now more accessible to the everyday person.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
People saying "being racist is not cool to kids" clearly aren't around MS/HS kids, like, fucking ever.
Two white students in blackface jumped and gibbered like monkeys in an allegedly racist video
Holy shit.. from link in OP. This is why we can't have nice things

HyGogg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As someone who has worked in public schools for a decade and a half (even in liberal and diverse areas), I can confirm how very fucking untrue this is.
You would honestly say a majority of them are openly racist or okay with racist views? I would find that shocking (and depressing), but I'm also genuinely interested to hear you elaborate on that, as someone who works with kids.

Polling of young people seems to suggest a vast majority of school-age kids today reject racism, but polling obviously doesn't tell the whole picture. I do think that the racists have gotten more extreme, and more visible, which jives with a general trend of polarization, but I haven't seen a lot of evidence of them getting more numerous. They were always there.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
You would honestly say a majority of them are openly racist or okay with racist views? I would find that shocking, but I'm also genuinely interested to hear you elaborate on that.

Polling of young people seems to suggest a vast majority of school-age kids today reject racism, but polling obviously doesn't tell the whole picture.
From my (lengthy) personal experience, there are a huge chunk of students who are either straight up racist or say/perpetuate racist ideologies. Casual racism is a thing. I would definitely not say that most students find it "super uncool" to say racist things.

I hear students throw out racist commentary about other students all the time. It's definitely seen as a cool thing by many students who are trying to fit in.

Just the other day I heard students citing YT videos and throwing around homophobic and racial slurs, out in the open, walking around campus and laughing (right in front of the school office where admin is). I hear racist things in the classrooms I work in very often and in some cases, every day.

Keep in mind, students who don't really care that much about their peers saying this are also included in my point. I would say most students either say or contribute to racist language without really caring a whole lot either way.

Last edited:

Noah Om

Oct 25, 2017
I grew up in Indiana outside Indianapolis (class of '03) and in my 4-star suburban middle and high schools kids were aggressively using racist, misogynistic and homophobic language all the times. Hell, they even bullied the mentally handicapped kids and got away with it.

In the same area, I had the exact same experience 10 years later. Nothing has changed unfortunately. Really disgusting stuff.