• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I got a T.16000M FCS (and set my TrackIR back up) in anticipation of getting back into this game a little. So far I am not impressed with this HOTAS compared to the X52. The joystick is pretty stiff, neither the stick nor the throttle is particularly comfortable, for me they're a bit too big. Now the Saitek is a little big as well, I get it, I have relatively small hands but it was something I could work around there. All the reaches were comfortable enough, and the stick's hand rest was adjustable. The pinkie and thumb button on the Thrustmaster throttle in a vacuum would be a little uncomfortable to use at the same time, but throw in the index finger ministick and it feels unworkable. The ministick itself is actually rather nice though. If I pretend the bottom hat and thumb button don't exist then the throttle is reasonably comfy. I'm trying to figure out where the hell I want to bind boost and flight assist. On the X52 they were both throttle thumb buttonsThe action of the throttle feels pretty good but since it's flat and has no detents I'm finding myself not being able to set my throttle purely on feel at the moment but maybe that will come with time.

The hat switches feel pretty good. The buttons feel pretty mediocre, especially the thumb buttons on the stick. I'm definitely missing the stick side pinkie shifter button from the X52. The buttons on the base are completely useless but I guess that at least makes sense as they are also sold without the throttle. The trigger button is pretty loose as well. It feels like a dual stage trigger without actually being a dual stage trigger.

I don't think I feel confident enough to take out the Anaconda with this thing. I guess I'll see what sort of low rebuy ships I have to screw around with. The combat training scenarios I've been testing on have not been going well.
I'm flying with this Thrustmaster HOTAS since over a year and I'm really glad I bought it to replace a simple joystick.
I use my own mapping and the analog stick on the throttle is very good to move the ship during combats and landing.

I'm using it mostly with an Anaconda now since months and never got any problem, I also have a Beluga Liner and never stuck it in the stations' door.

Quality may look cheap, but it's really great and never failed.
I never got to try the X52 though.

SnakeyHips

Oct 31, 2017
Wales
Did my first set of skimmer missions last night and made a cheeky 4 mil from just one run. Exploit or not, it's a damn easy way to make money especially as the bounty hunting in the current community mission pays so low with it just being low res sites.

Does anyone fly with a controller and flight assist off? I tried but I don't think it's really possible as you don't have enough bindings for general use AND lateral/vertical thrusters.

Oct 26, 2017
So, trying to familiarize myself with my new controls I did some bounty hunting for the community goal. Went to dock, flew through the mail slot. Zeroed out my throttle.. and the docking computer couldn't handle it at all. It was ramming into something. Then it was getting a pad loitering warning... So crap, after a few seconds of fumbling I got over to the power modules tab and disabled the docking computer which you can see happening just as this clip starts and well.....

Ok.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Did you boost toward the slot before you throttled down?

You really have to watch the docking computer, it's kind of a pain.

I don't zero throttle until I'm through the slot.

Oct 26, 2017
No boost, just moderate throttle to the mail slot and I pretty much cut to zero as I was coasting through... it started auto-thrusting calmly and then when it started going towards the landing pad it started hitting stuff and somehow got stuck near another landing pad triggering the loitering warning.... and then... whatever the hell that was... instant death with plenty of shields and hitting.... some random protrusion at what... ~10m/s. Come on.

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sometimes if you send them evidence of a BS death, they'll restore your stuff. Check with FD support.

I'm excited to try the new update but it was still sounding like the Megaship gameplay was lacking in risk v. reward. Curious what the final values will be--the beta sounded like the bounties/fines/security wasn't worth the amount and value of cargo.

SnakeyHips

Oct 31, 2017
Wales
Yeah the docking computer can be funny. Once it tried setting me down on a pad which already had a ship on it so it just kept bouncing on top of the other ship. Was pretty funny actually.

Does anyone know if they've fixed the skimmer issues in 3.0? As in kills not being counted and having to restart the instance in order to get the amount of required kills?

Oct 26, 2017
I did send my logs and video to FDev and they did refund me my stuff so I got that going for me. I'm pretty familiar with the docking computer's shortcomings over the course of the game, though it seemed like it had gotten better in the later days of my gameplay (I really haven't played much if at all since before Commanders dropped) and obviously I'm refamiliarizing myself a bit.

The support response was both "well that didn't look right" and "please be more careful docking in the future". Like hey, if my docking was so bad it should blow up my ship fine then don't refund me. But since you did refund me maybe send that piece of geometry as a bug report to the dev team to be fixed instead?

Oct 26, 2017
I think I'm just about done with that Thrustsmater joystick. It just feels awful to me in general. I guess I can keep it around to try dual stick stuff since you can convert it to left handed? I don't know.

The throttle can stay for now. But I'm not sure where I go from here. My X52 stick is on its deathbed, and the X52 has that unfortunate design decision where it plugs into the throttle, and then into your PC from there, so you can't use the stick by itself. A CH Products Combatstick looks and sounds good. How is the tension compared to an X52?

I know we've been over the drawbacks as well. No twist rudder, and ancient pots tech compared to modern Hall Effect or whatever...

You may be reading too much into those lines, and I don't know why you'd assume that they don't keep logs of their support tickets.
Where did I say they don't keep logs of their support tickets? I don't doubt that they log it for a time (that's obvious as I can access the support ticket myself) but I doubt they're going to pay any more attention to a closed ticket.

My point with harping on the wording is probably rooted in dealing with Sony. If you complain to Sony about something and want a refund, no matter how in the right you are, they will eventually tell you how much of a favor they are doing by refunding. And if you ever have a problem again, even if you're completely in the right, they will sayd "oh, well we gave you a one time exception to our no refunds policy out of good faith, so sorry we can't do anything now". Because they don't admit they were actually wrong in the first place. So I don't like that kind of doublespeak. If it's a glitch with your physics, don't tell me to be more careful. Fix your game. If I'm supposed to blow up for tapping something at the slightest of velocities then fine, don't refund me.

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
CH Products Combatstick looks and sounds good. How is the tension compared to an X52?

The tension is lighter but it's much more precise allowing much finer control.

I've said before and I'll say it again: I went from a Saitek to a full CH setup and it completely transformed all of my flight games for me. I did not realize just how crappy my Saitek was until I switched to the CH, now I'm mad at myself for wasting all of those years playing with the Saitek stuff. For example in Elite I could never control the SRV with my Saitek as it would just spin out and was frustrating, but with the CH I can drive with precision control in all axis. Completely changes how much fun planet surfaces are for me.

Felix Lighter

Oct 25, 2017
I switched to a CH setup just because I had to RMA my X55 twice in less than a year. I have a brand new X55 I never opened that they sent me because I bought a CH fighterstick, pro throttle and pro pedals while I was waiting for the second RMA. Saitek was known for poor QC and CH are known for sticks that can last 15+ years. Logitech does seem to be looking into improving quality though, so we will see.

Oct 26, 2017
Just ordered Combatstick and pedals... or maybe it was Fighterstick. It was the one with the buttons instead of extra hats. I'm going to try pairing it with the Thrustmaster throttle so that hopefully that purchase isn't a total waste. And I'll probably just keep the joystick from that around as well and convert it to left hand mode so I can screw with dual stick stuff that seems to be all the rage at least in like Star Citizen.

Burny

Oct 26, 2017
Just ordered Combatstick and pedals... or maybe it was Fighterstick. It was the one with the buttons instead of extra hats.

That's the Combatstick then. Why did you go with that over the Fighterstick if I may ask? From my experience, the additional hats are dead useful in Elite, while the game is artificially limited to two triggers anyway.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm sticking with the Thrustmaster for throttle for now. And it already has 3 hats on my thumb. That plus the pinkie shift makes me feel that there is more than enough. And otherwise I didn't really love the placement of button 2 on the Fighterstick. I do like the big grey button for secondary fire on the Combatstick. But now I'm finding that the second hat is also not in the best place on the Combatstick.

Joystick movement feels fantastic though, no contest compared to X52 or the Thrustmaster, but rudder pedals for yaw is going to be more of a learning curve for me. I'm still randomly drifting when my feet forget they're involved with the game and just want to fuck around. Still need my muscle memory to unlearn trying to twist rudder. Second hat and button on top could be easier to reach but it's far more comfortable to stretch for those than it is with the Thrustmaster.

The trim knobs are a little janky, and yeah I guess the internals are like stepping back through a time machine with the 8 bit resolution but in game it feels fine.

Anyway the limitation of two fire groups is annoying but I'm not going to let Elite of all things dictate where my HOTAS setup goes. Though I also want to get back into DCS (and others, don't worry Burny I've already subbed your flight sim OT) so maybe losing hats there will hurt as well. I don't know.

The layout of buttons was best on the Saitek X52 stick (though that doesn't hold for the throttle which is pretty wack as far as button placement goes). X52 also has pretty good trigger and button feel, but terrible hats. CH Products Combatstick has good button feel as well. Hats are a little stiff. Thrustmaster hats feel nice, fast and clicky. It makes a big difference for power distribution and targeting stuff which you really have to spam in ED when in combat.

So yeah, really there are things I prefer about each of these three setups. I think these companies can do better.

BTW, since I mentioned power management... I just have to say that ED's system is so stupid. X-Wing did it so much better 25 years ago... You cycle shields and weapons, and whatever's leftover is your engines. It lets you dial in exactly what you want quickly. As opposed to ED where you're memorizing stupid little scripts to work out what you need as every allocation steals a half pip from two other things.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like everyone gets amnesty when the patch goes live. Open must be a warzone right now.

Burny

Oct 26, 2017
3.0 patch notes are out.

Edit: Dimly remember reading it before, but a Keelback multicrew seat is a fine addition!

Anyway the limitation of two fire groups is annoying but I'm not going to let Elite of all things dictate where my HOTAS setup goes. Though I also want to get back into DCS (and others, don't worry Burny I've already subbed your flight sim OT) so maybe losing hats there will hurt as well. I don't know.

Good to hear! :) The main complaint I remember seeing about the Virpil MongoosT-5,a 300$ high end Joystick with metal mechanics, is - guess what - the lack of the 4 way hat on the thumbrest. Going for the stick with less options just appeared completely unintuitive to me from a combat game PoV. Less inputs is practically never what you want. Still, so long as the keyboard's not far away, you'll be able to make anything work. It may just not be located on the Joystick or might require an otherwise unnecessary shift button. I found the additional hats to be very useful in my CH HOTAS configuration:

chproducts_layoutburncvsog.png

Last edited:

Burny

Oct 26, 2017
Also, a feature overview of 3.0 has been posted:

Edward Lewis;6447488 said:
Greetings Commanders,

Here's an overview of all the features coming to Elite Dangerous: Beyond - Chapter One. With one or two exceptions (outlined within the section) the information below is how the feature will work at launch of Elite Dangerous 3.0.

Enjoy!

---------------------------

Engineering Improvements

Engineering has been significantly updated in Beyond Chapter One, focused on a single principle: the process should always result in an improvement on your existing module.

You now progress a module's capabilities through a series of modification grades, with every upgrade you craft improving the module you apply it to. Any penalties are static and visible upfront.

Experimental effects are no longer randomly applied but can be purchased by spending materials, putting the choice fully in your hands.
Increasing your reputation with an Engineer, reduces the number of rolls you need to progress through lower grades. This means you will be able to reach higher grades much more quickly if you have a higher reputation with an Engineer.

You can now remotely engineer your modules. You can pin all grades of a blueprint and upgrade at any starport (or planet port) that has outfitting.
Material Bucketing
Rather than a single large storage of materials that would become filed with un-wanted resources, we have split this into per materials buckets vastly simplifying its management. The tier of the material affects how many can be stored. The storage works in the following manner:

Tier 1: 300
Tier 2: 250
Tier 3: 200
Tier 4: 150
Tier 5: 100

Materials Trader

We've also added a new contact called a Materials Trade, providing players the ability to hand in materials in exchange for others at set exchange rates based on grade and material type.

This will allow players to trade for rarer items or items obtained by gameplay they do not want to take part in (E.G. killing trade ships) as well as converting stockpiles of unwanted materials to ones that the player needs.

This is not intended to replace material gathering completely, but be a useful tool to help shorten the gameplay loops around gathering materials, making engineering more accessible.

• Allow players to trade one material of another in a single trade.
• Only one trade at a time can be completed.
• Material traders operate on a true barter system. There are no credits involved.
• Traders are split into types – Raw, Manufactured and Encoded.
• Each trader type only trades in their type of materials and can be found in different economy types. Locations material traders can be found are:
- Raw Materials Trader: found at extraction and refinery economies, only trades in raw material found on planet surfaces and planetary rings.
- Manufactured Materials Trader: Found at industrial economies, only trades in manufactured materials.
- Encoded Materials Trader: Found at High Tech and Military economies, only trades in encoded materials.
- Systems also need to be mid to high security systems and have populations between 1,000,000 and 22,000,000.​
• Materials Traders will not show up in anarchy systems.
• Materials Traders will not show up at stations that are currently controlled by a criminal faction.
• Materials Traders will be unavailable when a station is damaged, under repair or put on lockdown.
• Horizons is required to use Material traders.
• Material traders can be found using the new map view configuration 'By Service' option. This has a 40ly range and only shows traders that you have discovered.
• Material traders will also be shown on the system map in the station services list.
• Material traders will appear in the Human Bubble, Colonia and Pleiades regions at economies types listed above.

Galnet Audio

At the simple click of a button, you'll now be able to listen to GalNet audio whilst flying your ship.

All you have to do is select the play button at the bottom of the right-hand system panel in your cockpit to play through the headline news stories.
If you're looking for a specific story, or you want to curate your own playlist of handpicked news, you can do so by opening up GalNet news from the same panel and select the stories individually.

GalNet news will fade in and out depending on the situation, and stop altogether in some key situations. In some cases, such as counting down to hyperspace jumps, the news will pause and then resume once the countdown is complete. The story, or playlist, will continue from where you left off.

COVAS Customisation

COVAS (Cockpit Voice Assistant) is a new addition to Elite Dangerous and the first of these will be Victor, ready at the launch of Chapter One of Beyond. Commanders will be able to change their COVAS at the Starport Services livery customisation section.

It is also possible to choose a different COVAS for your SRV to your ship, you'll need to head over to the SRV customisation bay to change your preference.

And... if you miss Verity, you'll be able to change the COVAS back.

Frontier is working in partnership with HCS to bring you new COVAS packs in the future. These voices are intended to bring a new flavour to commanders out in the black, however, it's important to note at the current time we do not intend to introduce celebrity voice packs.

Crime and Punishment

Note: a small number of crime related features are listed as "Coming Soon". We hope to deploy these updates within a few weeks of Chapter One's launch.

Bounties and Fines

• Bounties and fine are applied to the ship you're in.
• Fines never mature into bounties.
• Bounties never become dormant.
• Bounties never expire.
• Fines can be paid off at security contacts.
• Bounties can be cleared by Interstellar Factors (when your Notoriety is 0).

These changes aim to simplify crimes. You will now have more control over your criminal status risk and reward. You can store a ship with bounties on (a hot ship), hiding your criminality, but at the cost of not using the ship. Bounties are now more significant as only Interstellar Factors can clear them.

Notoriety and Murder

• Commanders gain a 'notoriety' rating, a value between zero and ten.
• Notoriety increases by one whenever a Commander commits a murder crime.
• Notoriety decays one unit every 2 hours of time when you're logged in the game back down to zero.
• For each level of notoriety, murder bounty values are increased by a fraction of the perpetrator's rebuy cost - the higher the notoriety, the bigger the fraction.
• If the victim is a Commander (a player rather than an NPC) then you pay 10% percent per point of notoriety of the difference between your base rebuy cost, factoring in engineering, and the victim's rebuy cost. If your cost is less than your victim's, this will be zero. This is to de-incentivise destroying smaller ships than your own. This number, as well as others in the Beyond update, will be revisited and tweaked after launch to make sure the game is as balanced and enjoyable as possible.
• In addition, Commanders that are destroyed have their rebuy cost reduced based on the notoriety level of their murderer - the more notorious the assassin, the bigger the discount on rebuy cost for the victim.
• Notoriety is linked directly to the Commander, regardless of which ship they fly in.
• Any Notoriety means the interstellar factors cannot clear your fines or bounties.

These changes ensure that Commanders can't completely shed their criminal status by swapping to clean ships. It also addresses the seriousness of the murder crime, especially against other Commanders, as well stopping people from attacking smaller ships unnecessarily.

Currently, any death that results from collisions will not apply to the notoriety penalties nor will it increase notoriety. This is to prevent griefing by cheap ships against expensive vessels.
Ramming and combat logging are two examples of other things that we're giving specific care and attention to – keep an eye on the forums and on social media for any news relating to these topics.

Hot Ships and Modules

• A ship with bounties on it is hot.
• A hot ship cannot be transferred to a port in a jurisdiction where the hot ship is wanted.
o Elsewhere - ship transfer costs are increased for the hot ship.
• Modules taken from a hot ship are hot modules.
• Hot ships can be cleaned of bounties and fines using Interstellar Factors.
• Hot modules can be cleaned in storage for a price based on the module's value.
• Hot modules cannot be placed in a clean ship.
• Hot ships and modules can be sold at a mark down.

These changes mean there are more consequences for criminals, to close off potential "laundering" exploits.

Friendly Fire and Reckless Weapons Discharge

• The tolerance for friendly fire has been increased - you can deal more damage before you gain the assault crime.
• A new crime has been added "Reckless weapons discharge", which triggers at the old friendly fire threshold, and is only a fine.

These changes reflect the potential increased consequence for a bounty, allowing more leeway before one is issued.

Anonymous Access Protocols

• When in a hot ship, port services are restricted in jurisdictions where the ship is wanted (your ship logs in anonymously).
• Fines prevent access to all services except missions in progress, security contacts, Interstellar Factors and black markets.
• Bounties prevent access to all services except missions in progress, Interstellar Factors and black markets.

This helps to make sure there are consequences for your crimes without your vessel being destroyed.

Power Bounties

• Crimes committed between Powerplay pledged Commanders generate power bounties instead of normal bounties.
• Power bounties can only be detected and claimed by Commanders pledged to the power that issued them.
• Commanders destroyed for their Power bounty are not processed as criminals and do not pay any additional costs during respawning.
• Authority ships will no longer get involved with Powerplay. For example, A Hudson Commander can still attack a Patreus Commander with impunity in a system controlled or exploited by Hudson. However when the Patreus player fights back they will get a Power bounty and no authority ships will be summoned.
• Powerplay NPC ships have an increased chance to travel in packs for increased defence.

Power bounties remove Powerplay from the standard crime response, allowing consensual PvP without interference.

Advanced Tactical Response

• Authorities now have access to new security vessels: ATR (Advanced Tactical Responders)
• ATR ships are kitted out with top tier hardware, in exclusive, customised configurations. They are extremely competent pilots.
• ATR ships can be summoned once a Commander has committed enough crimes in a jurisdiction.
• The security of the system determines the level of crime before they are summoned
• ATR ships arrive with full knowledge of their target and are cleared to arrive "weapons hot".
• Once ATR ships respond to crimes, they will continue to respond until the Commander leaves the system.

Another piece of the crime consequences puzzle, ATR should also help mitigate Commanders attempting to exert excessive influence in the background simulation as well as challenge heavily engineered ships.

Crime and Ship Destruction (Coming Soon)

At 3.0 launch, you will respawn at a starport of the faction that controls the system when you are clean rather than the faction who controlled the jurisdiction you were destroyed in, and will pay bounties and fines for this jurisdiction, along with bounties detected.

Whilst 3.0 rules work, the changes proposed below will make the system clearer and work better with the revised Kill Warrant Scanner, which will be updated at the same time.

• When a hot ship is destroyed where it is wanted the Commander will respawn at the nearest Detention Centre.
• There are lots of Detention Centres in human space.
• When respawning at a Detention Centre, a Commander *must* pay off their bounty or fine for the jurisdiction where they were destroyed and any bounties detected by a Kill Warrant scan, in addition to their rebuy cost - all other bounties and fines remain attached to the ship.
• When a ship is destroyed where it is not wanted it will respawn at a starport owned by the jurisdiction's controlling faction.
o If there are no appropriate starports, it will respawn at the last port it was last docked at.
• When a ship is destroyed where it is not wanted but hostile to the jurisdiction's controlling faction, it will be deported and respawn at the nearest Detention Centre.

This change makes the crime flow more consistent and plausible and ensure you will not be trapped by re-spawning in a station you are hostile.

Kill Warrant Scanner (Coming Soon)

The Kill Warrant Scanner in its current form will detect the single largest bounty on the scanned ship. However, based on in-depth feedback and dialogue on the forums we are looking to release an updated version.

We've listened to and incorporated all of the feedback regarding the Kill Warrant Scanner and we're pleased to reveal the following solution. It addresses all of the concerns, from collecting bounties in different systems, to safeguarding reputation, to tactically supporting factions, to actually allowing the scanner to grant a kill warrant!

• The Kill Warrant Scanner detects all bounties issued by system factions in every system.
• The Kill Warrant Scanner grants a license to kill if at least one detected bounty is issued by a faction that is aligned to the same superpower as the current jurisdiction.
• When used, the Kill Warrant Scanner prevents reputation loss for destroying ships, except criminally aligned vessels.
• NPC ships can have bounties for factions not present in the current system, favouring nearby systems where possible.

Making this change involves a significant amount of under the hood changes to the way bounties are generated, which increases the robustness of the whole bounty system. This has meant that this Kill Warrant Scanner update will deploy a little after Chapter One's launch.

Superpower Bounties (Coming Soon)

These are not currently in the game but are an important compliment to our core fixes that will be rolled out with the Kill Warrant Scanner update.

• When you gain five or more bounties for factions aligned to the same superpower, a superpower bounty is issued against you.
• Superpower bounties are valid for every jurisdiction aligned to the superpower.
• Superpower bounties are detected by a basic scan.
• When a superpower bounty is detected, all bounties issued by factions aligned with the superpower are also detected.
• Superpower bounties grant credit rewards and reputation for the superpower.

We've looked at all of the feedback concerning bounties, background simulation and the Kill Warrant Scanner, and these rules are the result. Because they are changing from our original interpretation, they will be deployed along with the update to the Kill Warrant Scanner and ship destruction rules tweaks.

Superpower bounties add consequence to those who commit crime sprees across multiple systems. They also help define clear boundaries between Empire, Federation and Allied space.

Planetary Improvements

We have overhauled the surface material system for the rocky, high metal content and metal rich planets. We have pushed the system to get a lot more out of it, but this is just the first step towards further major planetary system improvements. The contrast and variation across and between bodies is much improved.

We also hope that these planetary visual improvements (with more surface level improvements coming later in the year) will also bring a new vibrancy to the Elite Dangerous galaxy, encouraging wanderlust explorers to discover far systems and planets.

The colouration of the surfaces now more clearly telegraphs the chemical makeup and volcanic activity of the worlds. In addition, binary rocky/metallic planets more accurately simulate having similar colourations from shared formation materials where appropriate.

We have a range of colourations for:

RockyHigh MetalMetal Rich
No VolcanismNo VolcanismNo Volcanism
Low VolcanismLow VolcanismLow Volcanism
Mid to High VolcanismMid to High VolcanismMid to High Volcanism

See the visual improvements for yourself here: https://youtu.be/cGZ4GfR09uo?t=532

The Chieftain

The Alliance Chieftain is a medium-sized ship that has been designed not only to dish out punishment, but to avoid it. Manufactured by Lakon Spaceways, the Chieftain is more manoeuvrable than ships of similar size and weight, and its combat profile means it can more than hold its own in a fight. The ship also boasts three internal military compartments, allowing the pilot to equip a shield cell bank, hull reinforcements and module reinforcements.

Important note: as there are no Alliance ranks, you will not need a specific rank to unlock this ship.

Get a closer look at the Chieftain and see it in action on the stream here: https://youtu.be/cGZ4GfR09uo?t=749

Brief Chieftain outfitting can be seen here: https://youtu.be/cGZ4GfR09uo?t=1815

Tech Broker

Technology Brokers are dealers in new and rare technologies and items. These contacts appear in various stations across known human space and can generally be found in highly populated systems with a high security level. Visit tech brokers to see what items they currently have available and complete set requests to unlock these items by handing in the required commodities and materials. The addition of Technology Brokers allows pilots to acquire new items based on their personal narrative giving even more ways to play elite your way.

For more details about the new Tech Broker, check here: https://youtu.be/cGZ4GfR09uo?t=1956

Trade Data Changes

We are making changes to the commodities markets and the galaxy map to allow players to find profitable trades more easily in-game.

In the game at the moment, by default the galactic average column shows the average price of the commodity or rough profits from various stations where you have purchased the trade data from.

How trade data works in Beyond Chapter One:

• Commanders will be able to select the trade data column header to enter the trade data overlay.
• From there, you can select specific markets by typing in the system name or finding the system using the galaxy map.

Important note: only systems you have docked in or scanned the 'Nav Beacon' at will display a result when entered, so the more systems you visit in the greater the amount of trade data you will have to use when looking for a potential profit.
• Once a system is selected, as long as you have the trade data, a tab will appear.
• Using this you can select which market in the system you want to display the trade data for.
• You can now select whether you want to show export profits (the money you would make when exporting to the system) or import profits (the money you would make from importing goods from the system to your current market).
• Once the parameters have been chosen, you can hit the OK button to display the data for the selected market on the commodity market screen allowing you to see what profits you could make on any commodities.

Important note: profit given is accurate at the time of being displayed and can fluctuate when travelling to the chosen market.

• The commodities market interface has also had a makeover with more information about potential markets displayed in the right hand panel. Supply and demand is shown as pips instead of high (3 pips), medium (2 pips) and low (1 pip).
• When you select a commodity, a confirmation overlay will open, allowing you to select how many of the item you want to buy or sell and then you'll be able to confirm the trade

Using the galaxy map for trade data:

• You can use the same interface to access and use the galaxy map to select a target market. This is also available straight from the galaxy map tab in the left cockpit panel.
• With the galaxy map open you can use some new configuration options to display trade data, find trades and select a market to compare with your current location.
• New options are stored in the Map option under 'Map View Configuration.'
• There is a new entry in this drop down called 'By Commodity'.
• This will open up the new commodity search options
• You will be able to select the commodity category and type that you are interested in.
• If you already have a commodity in your ships inventory it will be highlighted with an icon, allowing you to see at a glance what you have onboard.
• With a commodity chosen the galaxy map will display trade heat map icons within a 40 light year radius of your current position to indicate star systems that import or export that commodity.

Important note: you can search for and look at trade data for systems further than 40ly, it's just that the heat map has a set range so the icons will only show up within that range of your current location.

• A Blue Diamond is a system that imports the item and Green Triangle is a system that exports the item. In addition, a White Diamond represents that the player has trade data for the system, but the system doesn't deal in the selected commodity.
• Under the commodity selection on the left hand panel are also three new filters allowing you to set the icons to show:
- Best import and export prices
- Import prices only
- Export prices only​
• With the By Commodity map mode selected, you can move your cursor over a system and select it.

As mentioned before, if you have previously docked in the system or scanned the 'Nav Beacon' there then an expanded overlay will display trade data. But for systems that you have not visited, a message will be displayed telling you that the system's data is unavailable and how you can unlock it.
• When you select a system, you will be able to scroll through each market in the system and see the per unit price of your chosen commodity on the system selection overlay. This will allow you to quickly work out the best locations to trade at (based on price).
• Below 'import/export price' there is a new selection of filters. Using these filters you can find the best location with the best price to suit your ship and cargo.

These filters are:
- Landing pad size – This allows you to see what landing pad sizes are available at the Starport.
- Planetary Market - This allows you to show or hide markets that are on a planets
- Distance from star – This allows you to filter between market a short, medium or long range from the main system star.​

• We have also added another new button on the system selection overlay: mark market for comparison. This automatically sets the market for comparison when you select the station services Market view (instead of displaying the galactic average.)

Trending Trade Route Data

We have also updated the trade data routes in the galaxy map to now show trending trade routes used by commanders and commercial pilots. Using these filters can, alongside the various commodity filters, help commanders get a clear view of who is trading what and where in the systems near to you.

Ultimately, we hope these new tools will make it easier for players to find the best trades, while also encourage them to explore and visit multiple systems to unlock new markets and potential profits.

For a full recap on trade data changes, watch the stream here: https://youtu.be/cGZ4GfR09uo?t=2258

Megaship Interactions

Another change coming to this chapter of Beyond is the additional gameplay interactions that will be available at the various megaships found across the galaxy. As well as the simple data links and NPC ship scenarios we have added a new flow for scanning these and (in later Beyond updates) other large space objects.

Initiating Interactions:

1. Megaships will now need to be scanned with the data scanner before any of the interaction objects become interactive.
2. Doing so will release a scan pulse which highlights all interaction objects attached to the vessel.
3. Interaction objects are added to your ships contacts panel and can now be targeted and interrogated to discover how to interact with them.
4. Some of interactions utilise limpets of various types to allow you to activate, deactivate, damage, hack or simply operate an item. While others can be shot or scanned to interact.

Discover all of the new ways to interact with megaships in the beta, details here: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showth...a-Announcement

One thing to note is that all current interactions are considered illegal, tying in with the changes to Crime and Punishment. These interactions provide criminal pilots new gameplay options as well as giving lawful players new locations to find wanted pilots.

In addition to the aforementioned interactions, we have tweaked the scenarios around the megaships to include a greater variety of criminal and lawful pilots, as well as crime responders such as police ships, to add a bit more depth to these locations.

Wing Missions

Chapter One introduces wing missions. These are missions designed to be shared by up to four players. It's one of the most requested mission features and we are excited to take out first steps into multiplayer missions.

There are four wing mission types at this time: delivery, collect, massacre and assassination.

• In order to accept the missions, one member of the wing needs to access the mission board and select a wing mission, which are denoted by a special blue icon.
• Once accepted, the player who took the mission can share it by clicking the share button on the mission's entry, located in the 'Transactions' panel. Doing so sends the player's wingmates an inbox message and adds the mission to their own Transactions panel.
• The wingmates can choose to then either accept or decline the mission invite in the Transactions panel.
Important to note: each player can only share one mission at a time, this means that with a maximum of four players in a wing, players can be part of up to a maximum of four active wing missions at any given time.

Mission Depots

In the case of a wing delivery mission, players will be charged with transporting large quantities of goods from point A to point B. previously, when taking a delivery mission, all the cargo would be placed into the player's hold for them to deliver. However, as we are now dealing with larger quantities and missions involving multiple players, this added a new development challenge; we needed to add a way for players to collect and deliver part of the mission's total required cargo. In order to facilitate this, we introduced the 'mission depot,' which allows members of a wing to collect and deliver any amount of cargo that they require for the mission.

• The mission is completed when all the cargo has been delivered and each member of the wing is then able to collect their rewards.
• All players who are members of the wing at the point that the mission is completed are eligible for the mission rewards.
• Once all cargo has been collect and a set amount of cargo has been delivered to a mission depot the owner of the mission has the option to partially complete it. In this instance all wing members will receive a credit only reward proportional to the amount of cargo delivered. For example if 75% of the cargo is delivered all wing members will receive a credit reward equal to 75% of the mission's promised reward.
• If a player has collected cargo, which has not been delivered when a mission is completed, they will receive a fine based on the cargo's value.

For more details about Wing Missions, check here: https://gaming.youtube.com/watch?t=2807&v=4ocPr8DlBQs

Mission Reward Choices

In 3.0 we have added reward choices to the majority of missions. This system provides player with up to three different reward packages to choose from upon completion of the mission. One of these reward packages will always be credits.

• Every member of the wing receives the same reward choices for completing the mission.

Burny

Oct 26, 2017
Also: Actual narration.

Still on youtube, rather than in the actual game, but who knows? One day these assets might be used in the game as well.

Is the 3.0 release thread worthy?

OP
OP
Frontieruk

Frontieruk

Oct 25, 2017
How much of an update is it sorry life has caught up with me so not been following this as much as I should

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Getting ready to fire it up. Looking forward to getting a Chieftain geared up and engineered.

Oct 26, 2017
3.0 patch notes are out.

Good to hear! :) The main complaint I remember seeing about the Virpil MongoosT-5,a 300$ high end Joystick with metal mechanics, is - guess what - the lack of the 4 way hat on the thumbrest. Going for the stick with less options just appeared completely unintuitive to me from a combat game PoV. Less inputs is practically never what you want. Still, so long as the keyboard's not far away, you'll be able to make anything work. It may just not be located on the Joystick or might require an otherwise unnecessary shift button. I found the additional hats to be very useful in my CH HOTAS configuration:
I've seen these sorts of joystick mapping graphics in a few places now but I guess I don't know what software is behind them. Can you point me the right way? It will be useful to get my controls settled and a good reference to have on a secondary monitor for a while before muscle memory kicks in.

I actually would have preferred a hat on the thumbrest. But I do want that gray button instead of a hat up top. Pinkie button for me on the stick is very natural as a shift key coming from the X52. So I need something as a secondary fire and the smaller button way up top doesn't really fit the bill either (I think it will be select target ahead). I'm not sure what to do with the thumbrest button at the moment.

Burny

Oct 26, 2017
I've seen these sorts of joystick mapping graphics in a few places now but I guess I don't know what software is behind them. Can you point me the right way? It will be useful to get my controls settled and a good reference to have on a secondary monitor for a while before muscle memory kicks in.

For Elite in particular, there's the reference sheet generator. The sheet I linked though is a vector graphic I did trace of the CH HOTAS to have something printer and somewhat eye friendly. The bindings where filled in "by hand".

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For Elite in particular, there's the reference sheet generator. The sheet I linked though is a vector graphic I did trace of the CH HOTAS to have something printer and somewhat eye friendly. The bindings where filled in "by hand".
Nice tool, here are my bindings with the Thrustmaster T16000M, and Xbox controler for camera :
https://www.mcdee.net/elite/binds/qnxyhb?replay=qnxyhb

I should bind more things and use modifiers, but for now I can access everything I want.

Oct 26, 2017
Haha, former Star Citizen devs with a kickstarter. That is epicly hilarious.

That tool is pretty handy. It's kind of hilarious because it has all the Thrustmaster stuff and CH Products stuff on one big long thing but it will still help me visualize what is going on with my setup. I think it's glitched for the Combatstick though, seems like button 2 and right on one of the hats are confused. Your custom cheatsheet is really cool, I respect the DIY approach Burny.

I haven't even started pondering what I'm going to do with the SRV. Last time around I used an Xbox controller but I couldn't get he mapping 100% correct at the time. With Throttle ministick I feel like I can make a go of it with my HOTAS though. Especially since I have the pedals... I mean, gas and brake pedals for sure right? I also noticed that material inventory has been massively expanded, so going out and collecting mats might be a good way to spend my time and will let me engineer up some other ships than my Anaconda. I feel like an FDL needs to be reintroduced into my fleet at the very least.

Burny

Oct 26, 2017
With Throttle ministick I feel like I can make a go of it with my HOTAS though. Especially since I have the pedals... I mean, gas and brake pedals for sure right?

Pretty much what I'm using and it's rather comfortable. Throttle's mini stick for steering, flight pedals' toe brakes for acceleration and brakes, joystick for turret aiming.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
For some reason I thought the Chieftain was going to cost more outside of the beta. Glad it wasn't to expensive.

Haha, former Star Citizen devs with a kickstarter. That is epicly hilarious.

That tool is pretty handy. It's kind of hilarious because it has all the Thrustmaster stuff and CH Products stuff on one big long thing but it will still help me visualize what is going on with my setup. I think it's glitched for the Combatstick though, seems like button 2 and right on one of the hats are confused. Your custom cheatsheet is really cool, I respect the DIY approach Burny.

I haven't even started pondering what I'm going to do with the SRV. Last time around I used an Xbox controller but I couldn't get he mapping 100% correct at the time. With Throttle ministick I feel like I can make a go of it with my HOTAS though. Especially since I have the pedals... I mean, gas and brake pedals for sure right? I also noticed that material inventory has been massively expanded, so going out and collecting mats might be a good way to spend my time and will let me engineer up some other ships than my Anaconda. I feel like an FDL needs to be reintroduced into my fleet at the very least.
Assuming the gameplay videos are actually real it looks interesting. The art style could use some work and polish but that can come later. I like that they have a working combat system setup up that already looks like it could be fun with a lot happening on screen. Work on the foundation first then worry about making it look pretty.

This could end up another situation like the people that left Star Citizen before and ended up making Descent: Underground while Roberts is still screwing around with whatever he calls a "Alpha". Continues the pattern where you remove him from the situation or remove yourself from him and something decent actually happens and is released.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
"Former Star Citizen devs" doesn't inspire a lot of confidence, either in SC or this kickstarter.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017

Pretty cool that you can filter by known Thargoid and Guardian sites.

HDMF76

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Its so tough to get into this. I can 'feel' there is a great game experience here, but its all so bloody over complicated. Whenever I play I just end up being a space delivery boy for an hour and switch it off as it feels so aimless. Are there any general starter guides anybody can recommend please?

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I want to dive into 3.0 but I still feel like we haven't gotten a good examination of wing missions? Weren't major changes coming in 3.0? I just want to know if they're worth it or not.

Oct 25, 2017
I want to dive into 3.0 but I still feel like we haven't gotten a good examination of wing missions? Weren't major changes coming in 3.0? I just want to know if they're worth it or not.

Flew back to Apam to see a lot of 4+ million missions, mainly cargo and few combat. Really want to test it out for difficulty but the payouts look good

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
I just got this today, I had known about Elite: Dangerous for a long while but had kept on hearing about how there's "nothing to do". I actually just saw some screenshots and footage of it being passed around in a discord server I'm in earlier on Wednesday and it made me very curious to see if I would like it. 3 hours of research later I picked up the deluxe edition and messed around with a couple of training modes before the maintenance. Now that I've looked into it more and even tried it out a bit, I'm actually really excited to get into the game now.

I've never played a flight or space sim, actually I've never really played a simulator at all before, but this seems to be ticking off all the boxes I would want from a space sim.

Burny

Oct 26, 2017
Saw this on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDange...wing_mission_rewards/?st=JE7SS73L&sh=5291d99a

At least going from that, the math on Wing missions make them out to be less fruitful than going solo. Why FD why

reddit said:
I sure hope they plan on adjusting payouts or requirements. The massacre missions are a joke. Apparently instead of killing 50 ships on my own for 3 or 4 mil I should wing up and kill 3 times that many with a couple other people for half the payout. I'm assuming the RNG mission scaling is not working as intended. Or I hope at least.

reddit said:
A friend of mine saw a mission for 250 kills that paid out 4 million. It's laughable especially when you can get that 4 million doing about 5-10 minutes worth of passenger runs even after today's nerfs.

Sigh.

Still maintainign that the game design and balancing department of Frontier have missed their job compentencies by a landslide. Or is it again their woefully unmanagable RNG mission generation doing things they didn't foresee? If so, who designed that RNG system? Probably said department, no?

Sigh.

Nerix

Oct 27, 2017
Its so tough to get into this. I can 'feel' there is a great game experience here, but its all so bloody over complicated. Whenever I play I just end up being a space delivery boy for an hour and switch it off as it feels so aimless. Are there any general starter guides anybody can recommend please?
ED really is a complex game - but after getting into it, you'll have a blast. Even very experienced players learn new stuff almost every day.

A good summary post for new players (it's not PS4 specific, just branded as PS4 because this was the latest platform ED was released on):
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/356410

Day 0 Guide:
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/273168-Day-0-A-guide-for-brand-new-commanders/

The community is really kind and helpful. If you have any questions: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...s-of-Elite-Dangerous-Post-in-here-and-tell-us

A spreadsheet I created after starting to play Elite. Collected all the things I've learned so far (a bit messy, but contains a lot of information):
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VhMUI2BbpSBBr8WJ8sldrRPWykbbBl7Bmn1UVAIEwJk/edit?usp=sharing

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
Saw this on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDange...wing_mission_rewards/?st=JE7SS73L&sh=5291d99a

At least going from that, the math on Wing missions make them out to be less fruitful than going solo. Why FD why

We tried to make Frontier change this during the beta, but they didn't want to.

What's happening is that the wing missions are balanced around wings of four completing them. All wing members get the full reward, so when you have four big cargo ships do a 3000T wing hauling mission and they each get 5 million at the end it doesn't look too bad because it's only two trips each or so. However, a wing of one only gets the full reward once yet they have to haul the full 3000 tons over many trips, so the reward per hour looks crappy.

What Frontier should have done is gave the mission (my example above) a 20 million credit reward and then divide that up in the end among the wing members. So, in a wing of four each still gets the 5 million but if someone wants to solo the whole 3000T they get 20 million instead of 5 million.

Frontier didn't want to do that, and their reason was because they wanted "better control" over things. That didn't make sense to any of us beta testers and it still confuses me, but we never got a better reason than that.

So wing missions are only worth it for actual wings, and while you can solo them they really just aren't worth it sadly.

Oct 25, 2017
So wing missions are only worth it for actual wings, and while you can solo them they really just aren't worth it sadly.
See this is one of those instances where I'd like to give fdev more shit but I really can't because of the nature of the game. They really wanted wing missions to benefit only people in wings, and this was probably the easiest way to go about it. If you make it so it's inefficient to do them solo then despite the fact that you can solo them you probably wont. Meanwhile if you make them harder or overly complicated you run into the problem of actually having to design content lol. Like how do you make a wing hauling mission interesting or challenging enough to warrant a wing? The only two ways I can think of is having to haul a lot of shit in a really short period of time so you basically work as a caravan, or having to make several long distance drop offs in opposite directions basically having each wing member go to a different location. A lot of the core design of the game naturally doesn't lend itself well to wing missions so I can see why they did it this way.

If you look at it another way, say they did it the way you're saying they should've done it, wouldn't that lend itself to the complaint that wing missions end up being more efficient in smaller wings or solo?

Wing missions still have a long way to go but honestly I am just happy the game has a way for me to actually play with my friends that isn't just sitting in draco or a haz RES.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I can definitely see why they do it that way, but it kind of kicks the "play your way" shtick right in the crotch.

Next on my agenda is playing around with the new guardian ruins.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Going to use my Chieftan to test out this new crafting system. If I like the results, I do more of my ships. I played some y esterday and maxed out a few materials already so I should be able to roll a lot of stuff.

OgTheEnigma

Oct 27, 2017
Liverpool
Whoops, I've just found out the Beyond update was finally released a few days ago. It's about time I head back into the black on PS4!

I'm still mainly excited for the upcoming exploration updates later in the year, although the new engineering system should keep me occupied for now.