• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing sea of thieves, when asked by one of the guys at work who plays elite what it was like I said elite dangerous on a boat.

Timed delivery missions? Check
Timed collect and deliver missions? Check
Kill a bad guy mission? Check
Random encounters? Check
Go to location find something and return it? Check
Reputation with factions? Check

There's a raid on a random island that can become a shitfest, players work together to kill the baddie then turn on each other for the spoils.

But the co-op is encouraged, the smaller ships can be successfully captained by one person, but with two its easier to have the sails trimmed and adjusted to keep the sails catching the wind for fast sailing. Its also easier to raise the anchor.

With the 4 player ships you can sail it on your own, but it takes about 15 seconds to raise the anchor vs 3 with 4 people, with the sails fully unfurlled the captain can't see ahead so relies on someone calling out obstacles, with multiple sails its basically impossible to keep the ship moving its fastest where with other players you can keep it moving at its fastest.

Its also easier to deal with skeletons while digging up treasure as you can have two people digging (which speeds the process up) while two fight the oncoming hoarde.

But its not really the missions that make the game enjoyable, its the team work to get around, its the knowledge that when you see sails on the horizon that is another team of people and people are unpredictable, we've sunk ships we've passed just because, and waved and played music with others because we felt like it, its the unknown, the worry about your loot being stolen or stealing someone elses loot.

Its the interactions with people rather than the world, the problem is there's not really a player progression path, its mostly cosmetic changes as you don't own the boat you sail.

Apparently becoming a legend changes this but how I don't know. But the bulk of people will of gotten bored before then, so they need to introduce more varied missions, and perhaps find a way to create more player interactions like the random raids.
Yeah I had played it too, and other than fighting other ships and working together to drive our ship, it's pretty bland. The content really isn't fun and combat is incredibly shallow. Elite is often considered a mile wide and an inch deep, well I would say SoT is a few yards wide and a half inch deep. The combat on foot is particularly boring, especially since the only thing you are fighting are hordes of skeletons or other players. Other players are more interesting to fight, but still it's a lot of the same stuff, over quickly, and the players just respawn close by pretty fast.

I do want the multicrew in Elite to be more like SoT's, as right now I feel it's not up to snuff in that regard, but overall SoT was a disappointment. It's a damn shame because they were on to something with the sailing mechanics and ship to ship PvP, just everything else is extremely lacking.

Elite does have repetitive content, there's no two ways about that, but in Elite a good chunk of that content is fun. The flight model is excellent and honestly never gets boring to me, especially in combat. Most of what I do is bounty hunting in RES, and I still LOVE it. Exploration is quite cool, especially since you see all the neat screenshots posted on Reddit as people get further and further out. You have stuff like Fuel Rats and the Distant Worlds expeditions. There was also fun stuff going on like when Robigo Runs were a thing (good times for my wallet). But most importantly Elite has something to work for, even if it still needs work in that area. There's many ships, modules, and Engineer upgrades. The latter took many iterations to get close to right, and still has issues, but it's something.

SoT really should have taken pages from Elite, because even at Elite's launch, I felt like Elite had more to do than SoT does now.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Most of you probably figured this out, but for the new crime and punishment system, when your notoriety hits zero, you have to log out and back in to get it to "take". I waited for mine to hit zero to go to an Interstellar Factor and remove my bounty, and it wouldn't let me until I relogged.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
So I have not been paying much attention to Elite (Monster Hunter) and I had NO IDEA that they buffed the shit out of the Type 9!

It's cargo space is up with the Cutter now!

Add that to the new haulage missions and now it makes the money grind for a Conda, Cutter, or Vette INFINITELY easier.

Has anyone missed that buff or am I just a slowpoke?

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
So I have not been paying much attention to Elite (Monster Hunter) and I had NO IDEA that they buffed the shit out of the Type 9!

It's cargo space is up with the Cutter now!

Add that to the new haulage missions and now it makes the money grind for a Conda, Cutter, or Vette INFINITELY easier.

Has anyone missed that buff or am I just a slowpoke?

They also reduced it's mass a bit so it jumps farther now too!

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
They also reduced it's mass a bit so it jumps farther now too!
I saw. I traded in my Clipper for a Type 9.

I need to grind like a mother to deck it out but once I'm done I won't need another ship until I aquire Conda money.

I mean it's like flying a dead cow with 6 dead whales tied to it's back, but that amount of space is INSANE and allows you to make BANK with the haulage missions quickly.

Whereas before only Condas and Cutters could do them quickly, but if you already have them you don't need to money as badly. This makes it MUCH easier to grind money trading if you don't have one of the big 3 and it's fantastic.

That being said going from a Clipper to a Type 9 is jarring as hell. I went from one of the more agile ships in the game to the worst lol

schatuk

Oct 25, 2017
I saw. I traded in my Clipper for a Type 9.

I need to grind like a mother to deck it out but once I'm done I won't need another ship until I aquire Conda money.

I mean it's like flying a dead cow with 6 dead whales tied to it's back, but that amount of space is INSANE and allows you to make BANK with the haulage missions quickly.

Whereas before only Condas and Cutters could do them quickly, but if you already have them you don't need to money as badly. This makes it MUCH easier to grind money trading if you don't have one of the big 3 and it's fantastic.

That being said going from a Clipper to a Type 9 is jarring as hell. I went from one of the more agile ships in the game to the worst lol

Yup. Flies like a brick but the capacity redeems it. Makes a fantastic space bus too

schatuk

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I figured it would. What passenger layout do you use if you don't mind me asking.

I have no clue how to fly the thing let alone how to properly build it lol

Off the top of my head, 2 biggest slots are passenger cabins, economy or business depending on where I'm working out of, biggish scoop, D class shield (just enough for slot bumps really) a docking comp (because I'm lazy) and economy cabins in every other slot

D rated thrusters, plant and pdist, A FSD (engineered for range)

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Off the top of my head, 2 biggest slots are passenger cabins, economy or business depending on where I'm working out of, biggish scoop, D class shield (just enough for slot bumps really) a docking comp (because I'm lazy) and economy cabins in every other slot

D rated thrusters, plant and pdist, A FSD (engineered for range)
Thanks!

And btw I use a DC too so no shame there man. If the computer can park faster than me and does it perfectly why not?

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Not sure if anyone in here has tried Passenger missions lately, but I am based in the Cubeo system and have been running them like crazy between Cubeo, HIP 5700, and HIP 5623 in my Orca and I am averaging about 8-11 million credits an hours right now.

Its INSANE

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if anyone in here has tried Passenger missions lately, but I am based in the Cubeo system and have been running them like crazy between Cubeo, HIP 5700, and HIP 5623 in my Orca and I am averaging about 8-11 million credits an hours right now.

Its INSANE
I may have to invest in a T9 or T10 and start giving these a try. Or outfit my Anaconda for it.

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness

Its INSANE
Everything I do around that area seems to net me a ton of money. Some of the nearby systems were giving out over a million for a complete scan.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I may have to invest in a T9 or T10 and start giving these a try. Or outfit my Anaconda for it.

I am working my way to the Anaconda, but yeah its great money so far for me. Full disclosure though thats with me at max reputation at all the stations I am going to so my missions are getting a bump from that I assume.

Its crazy though. Before I got off last night I had a "Rich Tourist" pay me for 93ly jump to a Dwarf Star. A little risky yeah, but not too bad. How much you ask? 5 million. For 93 ly!

Everything I do around that area seems to net me a ton of money. Some of the nearby systems were giving out over a million for a complete scan.

Yeah HIP 5700, Yaque, Lambda Hydri, HIP 5623, Primi, etc etc all of the Systems around Cubeo are just swimming in credits right now and I have no idea why. Not all of them are in boom either. There is a outbreak and even civil unrest, but the money just keeps flowing.

Especially if you are a trader. Cubeo is sending massive amounts of Liquor and Tobacco to D-Arrest Ring in the HIP 5623 system. But if you stop at Gunter station (in the same system as D'Arrest Ring) before you go there Gunter Station will also give you missions to transport stuff to D'arrest ring.

I am gonna grind it as much as possible before F-Dev decide to "fix" it lol

Last edited:

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
About two years ago, there is a system far out of the bubble called Robigo, and it had an outpost in it called Robigo Mines. In this station there were TONS of smuggling missions. You could take an Asp outfitted to jump far, as well as cargo space, and just stack as many of these smuggling missions as you could. Most of them had a condition of not getting scanned. They tell you to deliver stuff mostly to stations in the bubble. You can go do all these deliveries and make an easy millions fast. It was even better if you had Horizons because you could take missions that involved planetary stations.

After a few months of this, Frontier nerfed it heavily.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017

Z7HeRxU.png

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
I looked it up today and saw it was less than 100LY from my home system, and they sell T9's in my home system. I could get one of those or just re-outfit my Anaconda to do it and head over there.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I looked it up today and saw it was less than 100LY from my home system, and they sell T9's in my home system. I could get one of those or just re-outfit my Anaconda to do it and head over there.
I did notice today though that the majority of the missions I was getting were "Criminal Masterminds" for some reason.

I was still able to get some "Rich Tourist" and other high paying bulk missions, but they were not as numerous as they were yesterday. RNG was not as kind to me tonight, but I still made a clean 17 million before I called it a night.

If you are talking about trading though those missions are still everywhere. Tobacco, Wine and Liquor missions out the ass.

Oh shit... Cubeo is my home system.
QXgydPO.gif

Mine too! Adelman Station to be exact.

Last edited:

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
Question. I haven't done much Pvp in all the time I've played Elite but I've always wondered something. Does the offline/online status of a module/weapon matter? Can you see everything on a ship regardless of its state? Or can someone surprise another person by having missiles offline, can't see them as something they can target and then suddenly bringing them online later in the fight?

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Just checking in.

The money out of Cubeo and it's surrounding systems is still flowing like water.

I got a 3.7 million 12LY bulk passenger mission to carry 18 businessmen

Then once I got back I got a 2.5 to go back to the same system.

Wash rinse repeat. No board flipping. Just good old fashioned missions.

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man that aint even the original robigo meme, you could just load up on slavery transpiration missions, abandon the missions, and sell the slaves back to the station for a ridiculous amount, it was boring as hell but you could make about 80m an hour if your menuing was fast enough with that method. The downside is you would rack up an INSANE bounty where if you got shot down in the robigo system you'd basically be forced to go back to the startwinder.

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
The money is good indeed, though there's a system nearby with apparently many data missions stacked. Might hop over there for fast ranking.

Felix Lighter

Oct 25, 2017
Finally, after years, then a year break, I've returned to finish job!

High_Res_Screen_Shot_2018-04-03_01-45-15.png

Now, someday, I'll have to do some exploration again... ugh

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I have enough for a Conda FINALLY. I logged off last night with 170 million which is enough for the bare minimum I need for my Conda Starter build.

I just need to work my way over to Li Yong Rui space to get the discount.

Oct 26, 2017
Finally, after years, then a year break, I've returned to finish job!
I've been sitting on whatever the second to last rank is (deadly?) for... I'm gonna say 2 years now... Still haven't worked up the will to get myself combat ready again, last time I went out the new pedals in place of twist rudder was surprisingly difficult for me to work with.

As for making money, it doesn't seem worth doing unless I could make at least 50 million an hour. I probably have enough credits to decently kit out a Cutter or Corvette but data missions for rank also doesn't sound that appealing. Going mat hunting and engineering a fighter up from scratch (FDL I assume is still top tier before you get into the huge ships?) probably sounds the most fun. Except do you still kind of have to drag your ship all around the galaxy to engineer it? The bad jump distance for FDL seems like it would be a bit of a nightmare to do engineer stuff... and mailing your ship between engineering systems seems like its own sort of nightmare.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
I've been sitting on whatever the second to last rank is (deadly?) for... I'm gonna say 2 years now... Still haven't worked up the will to get myself combat ready again, last time I went out the new pedals in place of twist rudder was surprisingly difficult for me to work with.

As for making money, it doesn't seem worth doing unless I could make at least 50 million an hour. I probably have enough credits to decently kit out a Cutter or Corvette but data missions for rank also doesn't sound that appealing. Going mat hunting and engineering a fighter up from scratch (FDL I assume is still top tier before you get into the huge ships?) probably sounds the most fun. Except do you still kind of have to drag your ship all around the galaxy to engineer it? The bad jump distance for FDL seems like it would be a bit of a nightmare to do engineer stuff... and mailing your ship between engineering systems seems like its own sort of nightmare.
Yeah my goal for a while has been to hit Elite in combat. The FDL of probably the most efficient non-large ship for any kind of combat farming, although when you get into the large ships it's more efficient to use them as it's less time to kill ships and less trips back to station. You can avoid more damage with the FDL and make less trips, but it takes longer to down ships, at least in my experience. I use my Anaconda for RES farming, and I mainly care about grinding rank, mats be damned because it takes too long to collect them.

On the FDL I use 4 gimballed pulse lasers and huge gimballed multicannon. I have a bi-weave shield with some boosters, SCBs and heat sinks.

On the Anaconda I have a fighter with dual beam lasers: really good at taking out shields. I have 3 Large turret pulse, one huge gimballed cannon, and the rest are railguns. I have bi-weave, SCBs and heatsinks. I usually go back to station when shields drop and I am out of SCBs. This usually happens with the FDL. With the Anaconda, I am usually forced back because I run out of ammo for the railguns, cannon, or both. The Anaconda can stay for a LONG time.

Btw, if you go to Gende, there is a Hazardous RES that is always less than 2 LS from a station. Even in the FDL, the trips back and forth are quick. There's also a system nearby with an Interstellar Factor in a station that can fit large ships, in case you fuck up and shoot/kill an innocent.

I'm deadly 54%, generally moving up about 1% per day I play.

Felix Lighter

Oct 25, 2017

I fully engineered an FDL, which is what I did most of my combat in until very recently. After engineering the FSD drive I think I had my jump range near 20 ly. As for engineering, you can do everything with remote engineering except experimental effects. If you want experimental effects but you don't want to jump around with a fighter, put the modules on an anaconda or Asp, get the experimental effects and then swap the modules out to the fighter. You can do that with most of the modules with some exceptions. For PvE, a 100% engineered FDL is way overkill so I wouldn't get too hung up on engineering everything completely with experimental effects if you don't like doing it. Just do what's convenient.

With the mat traders in game, I'm finding engineering not bad at all anymore, though. Focus on only farming rare (4 & 5 rarity mostly, maybe 3) mats, and trade down to anything else.

Combat isn't a huge money maker but this recent CG, I've probably made about 100 million between combat bonds, massacre missions on the board that complement the CG and the CG reward which should be ending soon. I should be in the top 10%.

I grind out money with long supercruise Vip passenger missions at the moment. It's probably the best money maker still in the game, 80 - 90 million an hour in a Python (using a python because the source of my VIPs is outposts at the moment) if you are willing to board flip, which I am until the parts of the game I enjoy are adequately profitable. Also, of all the money making activities, long supercruise passenger missions are nice because I can do other things while my ship is super cruising for 40 min.

I figure I'll grind those out until they nerf them or I reach 10 billion, whichever comes first.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
My Anaconda is "Arcanaconda", in reference to the Dota "Arcana" items and how expensive they are.

I might change the name to "Don't want none unless you got guns hun" if that fits.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Sorry for the double post, but for anyone doing the Community Goal in HIP 33368 you can jump to Tuan Station in the Torenai system to buy Super Conductors at a great price and then jump back to make a nice profit while also doing the CG.

Its 2 jumps there for me in my Conda and 3 jumps back and I make 1.8 million per trip.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry for the double post, but for anyone doing the Community Goal in HIP 33368 you can jump to Tuan Station in the Torenai system to buy Super Conductors at a great price and then jump back to make a nice profit while also doing the CG.

Its 2 jumps there for me in my Conda and 3 jumps back and I make 1.8 million per trip.

Thanks for the heads up. It's 1.7 million for me but you probably don't use a autodocking computer in lieu of more cargo racks.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Thanks for the heads up. It's 1.7 million for me but you probably don't use a autodocking computer in lieu of more cargo racks.
No I use one. Did the prices go up since earlier today? I got 432t capacity in my Conda.

Not a single chance in hell I could park that monstrosity on my own consistently lol

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
No I use one. Did the prices go up since earlier today? I got 432t capacity in my Conda.

Not a single chance in hell I could park that monstrosity on my own consistently lol

I got a 400 capacity one....I'll have to go back and look at what I've got. Do you have an SRV hangar? I might have one on mine, though I'm not sure why.

Edit: Must be my discovery scanner. Can't do without it unfortunately. Every bit helps on the way to getting Explorer Elite.

Last edited:

Felix Lighter

Oct 25, 2017
Here's the anti-thargoid anaconda build I'm going to be trying. I'm working on the engineering now. I haven't gone after them yet but I'm going to be trying to solo a cyclops. Doesn't seem too difficult with guardian weapons but I expect to get rekted a few times while I learn.

Last edited:

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Just sharing how I feel after owning a Conda for 2 weeks. I will paste what I said on the Frontier forums.

I just can't help myself. I feel like I need to share just how much having an Anaconda has changed my outlook on the game and how much more fun I have had since I bought it. I have well over 400 hours in the game and I have spent the vast majority of that time being a passenger mission player in order to make alot of money quickly and it was pretty okay. I wasn't exactly having a blast, but it was a nice chill thing to do. No stress. No competitiveness. Just go here and fly there. Simple. Easy.

I had done all of that with the Conda in mind. The very first gameplay I ever saw of the game was of someone using the Conda and I knew then that I wanted the game and I wanted the Conda. So I grinded my butt off the old fashioned way and refused to use exploits like Smeaton, Skimmers etc etc and then I FINALLY got my Conda. I was ecstatic.

Then I threw some passenger cabins in and started moving people like crazy. I was making money like crazy, but it was exactly what I was doing before just on a larger scale and thats not that fun I realized. I had NEVER done any combat outside a few signal sources in my Clipper when I first got it, but I decided that there was no point in owning a ship like the Conda if I wasn't willing to put her through her paces.

And good god its a blast. I was worried about me not knowing anything about combat so I threw on a 6A Shield Gen, A buttload of Shield Boosters and then threw on all turreted weapons and a gimballed multicannon in my Huge slot.

and I feel like a GOD

My rank is technically "Novice" now, but I am doing Dangerous, Elite etc etc with no issues at all. Yeah she handles like a cathedral in Supercruise, but once I get interdicted by my target or interdict them its cake. I just point my ship in their general direction and watch the fireworks. I had an Elite mission where it was a Python and that was the 1st time I thought I might have an issue, but nope. I melted the shields and destroyed the guy in seconds.

I had no idea the game could be this fun once you get one of the Big 3. It changed my whole outlook on the game.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
It can still get hairy if you get multiple bad guys on you, especially bigger enemies.

My 'Conda is kitted out with a combination of turreted pulse cannons on top with gimballed beam lasers on the bottom. Turreted cannons on top mean you can still pick away at them while you're turning to get them lined up. And then you unleash hell with the big guns and they go down in seconds (which is good, because those beam lasers will drain your power distributor like nothin').

Oh, and a fighter bay on top of that, with AI pilot. Assassination missions are a breeze, and getting interdicted is a hoot. Aside from that, though, I actually use it more for passenger missions.. lol. They're good money, and I've got it engineered with a decent jump range (mid-20s, which isn't bad considering how it's kitted out), so most tourist missions don't' take long.

Avinash117

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know how the damaged stations effect the local economy and galactic economy( if they do)?

Last edited: