• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
So I have to say, Sothis was a pretty great suggestion for someone as new as me. The rep gains have been great, so I already have access to Sol and a few other systems I don't know a thing about. Money has been good too. I think I'll stay here until the weekend, at the rate I'm going I think I'll have 30ish mill when I arrive in Sol.

I'm not sure what to do once I get there though. Expanding my hangar so I'm not just flying a Viper still seems like the smartest choice. That said, with the potential bank balance I'll have, I feel like I have more options.

A Vulture or one of the Asp hls seems doable, but maybe a Diamondback Explorer is a more reasonable/modest exploration choice. I have a couple of invites from engineers and I know I'll need to get some specific items to do anything more than meet them. That'll require a lot of travel so focusing on exploration seems most sensible for the moment. Or maybe I should still be looking at sub 1 million credits hulls.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So I have to say, Sothis was a pretty great suggestion for someone as new as me. The rep gains have been great, so I already have access to Sol and a few other systems I don't know a thing about. Money has been good too. I think I'll stay here until the weekend, at the rate I'm going I think I'll have 30ish mill when I arrive in Sol.

I'm not sure what to do once I get there though. Expanding my hangar so I'm not just flying a Viper still seems like the smartest choice. That said, with the potential bank balance I'll have, I feel like I have more options.

A Vulture or one of the Asp hls seems doable, but maybe a Diamondback Explorer is a more reasonable/modest exploration choice. I have a couple of invites from engineers and I know I'll need to get some specific items to do anything more than meet them. That'll require a lot of travel so focusing on exploration seems most sensible for the moment. Or maybe I should still be looking at sub 1 million credits hulls.

Get the ASP explorer next, imo best ship in the game.

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
It's what I'm really leaning towards. While I want to dabble in most aspects of the game, I think the Asp Explorer is probably the best fit for the things I want to dive into next.

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
Well the Asp it will be. I want to head out now to start the next leg of my journey, but I really want the fatter wallet for when I get to where in going. So patient I must.

That said, I have a few more questions. The first being, is discovery data tied to your ship? I was planning on buying the detailed system scanner before heading to Sol and trying to earn as much as I can on the way without spending too much time in each system. I also see that the engineers I have invites to go see have rep gains from selling said data. So in a perfect world, I'd collect a bunch on my way to Solve, buy my Asp and trek out to...Maia or whatever for the turn ins I apparently need, then fly to Felicity and sell all of that data to her for a (hopefully) nice rep gain. But I'm not sure if that data is per ship. Also are the rep gains worth while or are they basically not needed?

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Well the Asp it will be. I want to head out now to start the next leg of my journey, but I really want the fatter wallet for when I get to where in going. So patient I must.

That said, I have a few more questions. The first being, is discovery data tied to your ship? I was planning on buying the detailed system scanner before heading to Sol and trying to earn as much as I can on the way without spending too much time in each system. I also see that the engineers I have invites to go see have rep gains from selling said data. So in a perfect world, I'd collect a bunch on my way to Solve, buy my Asp and trek out to...Maia or whatever for the turn ins I apparently need, then fly to Felicity and sell all of that data to her for a (hopefully) nice rep gain. But I'm not sure if that data is per ship. Also are the rep gains worth while or are they basically not needed?
As far as I am aware its not tied to your ship. Kind of a dilemma not too many people come across tho so I may be wrong.

schatuk

Oct 25, 2017
No, exploration credits are per CMDR. You can safely change ship and still sell your data

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
So last night I decided it was time to leave Sothis and check out Sol. Despite being a longer trip than the one I had taken nearly a week ago, it went way quicker. A better FSD and fuel scoop were probably the main reasons, but a better understanding of the game didn't hurt either.

Upon arriving I checked out some of the stations and planets. It was definitely neat, though perhaps a little anticlimactic given how scale works and also where you warp into a system. Not much pomp and circumstance or grand views in supercruise. Still, I haven't explored the whole system or visited all the places I wanted to, so I'll hang around for a while.

That said, I had to square away a new ship in a hurry. That Viper had served me well but it was time for a change. So I took my 30 million and popped a system over to buy an AspX. I expected to blow through most of my credits and rating it, but after a little research it occurred to me that A rating the whole thing doesn't make much sense. My main goal is to fly around and look at stuff with this ship. So I wound up D rating some stuff that seemed less important. Small upgrade bover standard E modules and reduced weight. Think I'm sitting around 31 LYs for jump range right now, which seems a respectable start. Doing the community goal to try and earn some credits while I figure out exactly what comes next.

I enjoy the Aspects so far. Handling feels a bit odd still, but I haven't had much time with it. The cockpit however, is pretty awesome, I really like how open the canopy is. It seems the Anaconda is many folk's end game explorer, but I'm not sure I'm willing to give up this unobstructed view.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
It seems the Anaconda is many folk's end game explorer, but I'm not sure I'm willing to give up this unobstructed view.
Not me, if it makes you feel better. My Asp is my dedicated exploration ship, and it's made it as far as Sagittarius A*. I have an Anaconda, it's kitted for multi-purpose, and I use it mostly for passenger runs. But I've easily got ten times more flight time in my Asp than anything else (probably ten times more than all of them combined).

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
Not me, if it makes you feel better. My Asp is my dedicated exploration ship, and it's made it as far as Sagittarius A*. I have an Anaconda, it's kitted for multi-purpose, and I use it mostly for passenger runs. But I've easily got ten times more flight time in my Asp than anything else (probably ten times more than all of them combined).

I'm glad it's not just a stepping stone ship. I was pretty it wasn't, but it's good to know I'll be able to take it that far when I'm ready.

Could I get your recommendations on fitting it for exploration? I haven't gotten too crazy with mine, but I'm a little unsure of what optionals to slot in. Right now I've got the two best scanners, an srv bay, two empty 3 slots a 5D shield generator and the stock 5E cargo rack.

Obviously it needs a fuel scoop, but I'm unsure if I should gut the big cargo bay and fit either a 5 or 6 fuel scoop in there. A 6A is like 15 million credits...not sure if it's overkill or not. And then for the 3 slots would the repair modules be wise? A small cargo hold?

Side question, so the mats you use for synthesis get stored in the cargo hold? Cause, if so, I imagine you want at least some space to make sure you can conduct repairs or fuel your srv or w/e.

Cantaloup

Oct 27, 2017
Could I get your recommendations on fitting it for exploration? I haven't gotten too crazy with mine, but I'm a little unsure of what optionals to slot in. Right now I've got the two best scanners, an srv bay, two empty 3 slots a 5D shield generator and the stock 5E cargo rack.

Obviously it needs a fuel scoop, but I'm unsure if I should gut the big cargo bay and fit either a 5 or 6 fuel scoop in there. A 6A is like 15 million credits...not sure if it's overkill or not. And then for the 3 slots would the repair modules be wise? A small cargo hold?

Side question, so the mats you use for synthesis get stored in the cargo hold? Cause, if so, I imagine you want at least some space to make sure you can conduct repairs or fuel your srv or w/e.

For long range exploration, get a 5A FSD and engineer for increased range. D rate all other core internals and pick the lightest power plant to cover what you have installed in your ship. Engineer with lightweight mods where possible. Remove all weapons and install a heat sink launcher in utility mounts.

For optional internals you want an advanced discovery scanner and detailed surface scanner, which it seems you already have. I suggest a 5A fuel scoop. A 5C is adequate, but 5A scoops faster although is much more expensive. Use a smaller shield, like a 3D. You won't be going into combat, it's just to prevent accidental collisions with stations or planet surfaces. You can use the left over slots as you see fit. An auto field maintenance unit is useful if you get into trouble in deep space and damage your systems. You have room to fit a size 6 passenger cabin and can make good money running VIP sightseeing missions within the bubble.

Synthesis/engineering mats are not stored in your ship and are tied to your account.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
I've got mine with a 5A FSD, engineered upwards of 50+ly. I think my fuel scoop is a 6B. Everything else is D-rated to save weight. I have a single SRV bay, scanners (obviously), and very weak shields. Like Cantaloup said, the shields are only to avoid damage when landing on planets. I actually have two auto field maintenance units, one large and one small. The small one is actually only there to repair the big one if it ever takes damage. I want to say that's it for interior components, but I do know that I actually don't even have room for a cargo bay at all. There's nothing out there to pick up, so there's not much point in having it. As far as saving weight goes, I also have a much smaller power plant and power distributor, it's down at least a size or two from the default one, and it's also D-rated. That makes it a lot lighter, but it also makes it weaker. Since I don't carry weapons, have only D-rated thrusters and weak shields, you don't really need much. The only downside is that it doesn't have enough juice for a Boost, which is kind of funny, but then you don't really need to Boost when you're out in the black. Also, as I just mentioned there, don't carry weapons. They're just extra weight.

The other thing I do when I'm out there is shut down all nonessential systems when I'm not using them. So stuff like the maintenance units don't draw power unless you need them to. I turn off my shields once I'm outside of the bubble unless I'm landing, and I hardly ever turn on the power distributor (hint: the power distributor actually locks at its current setting when you turn it off, so it will still have 4 pips in engines or whatever, you just won't be able to see it or change it until you turn it back on). Your cargo hatch should always be turned off unless you're doing missions where you're actually using it. I also turn off my SRV bay unless I'm actually landing on a planet. As far as fuel usage goes, all of this doesn't really help much, it only slightly reduces the fuel drain while flying around (most of your fuel is obviously used by jumping). But what it does do is reduce heat buildup and keep the ship running cool. Outside of scooping, even with the tiny power plant that I have, I usually run only around 20-25% heat, and it makes it easier to scoop high volumes for longer without overheating. I actually don't carry heat sinks on my Asp. Some commanders will call me crazy for that, but I honestly have never needed one. The only time I've taken any real heat damage was at the galactic core, and it was just internal systems, so my AFM units could repair it (I've actually got that on a YouTube video). The only thing the AFM can't repair is the hull, but the only damage it had was from an impact (because I was an idiot and decided to go canyon-running 30,000 light years from home, and my weak shields couldn't absorb the hit when I bottomed out the ship at 250m/s).

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
So this bonus weekend thing seems super awesome. My next goal after the CG completes was to get Felicity Farseer squared away. With the reduction in costs for engineering I feel like I should strike out for Maia now to get the Meta Alloy and find some mats. Not sure how hard they are to get, but if I could get my Asp's FSD to 5 by the end of this event that would be awesome.

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry for the double post, just want to ask some questions separately.

So I treked out to Maia tonight and messed around in the nebula a bit trying to find barnacles. That was a titanic waste of time and effort, none of the Google docs I was looking at seemed to be accurate and I am crazy bad and hitting the right coordinates on a planet. Anyways, needless to say I just gave up and flew back to Maia and bought a few Meta Alloys.

So my question is this; should I stay out here? I want to gather mats for the frameshift engineering upgrades but I'm not sure if I need to be outside the bubble for any of it or not. If I can just head back and look through USSs for mats, I'll probably do that. Everything out here is non human and would blap my Asp pretty fast I would think.

Lysistrata

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Paradise Lost
Sorry for the double post, just want to ask some questions separately.

So I treked out to Maia tonight and messed around in the nebula a bit trying to find barnacles. That was a titanic waste of time and effort, none of the Google docs I was looking at seemed to be accurate and I am crazy bad and hitting the right coordinates on a planet. Anyways, needless to say I just gave up and flew back to Maia and bought a few Meta Alloys.

So my question is this; should I stay out here? I want to gather mats for the frameshift engineering upgrades but I'm not sure if I need to be outside the bubble for any of it or not. If I can just head back and look through USSs for mats, I'll probably do that. Everything out here is non human and would blap my Asp pretty fast I would think.

This coordinate calculator may help for land specific targets. Put in your starting data and destination data in the boxes and it should calculate a bearing for you.
https://hotdoy.ca/ed/bearing/

As I recall FSD upgrade mats are:
Arsenic
Chemical Manipulators
Datamined Wake Exceptions

Arsenic is easy to locate. Find an instance on a moon with a concentration of about 2 percent or higher. You should stumble across some in your SRV to mine and collect. Just keep storing it up.

Chemical Manipulators can be found at Davs Hope. Info here if you have not been there before.
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...ED-List-of-Materials-at-DAV-S-Hope(Pictorial)
There are of course others ways to collect them too.

Datamined Wake Exceptions were best found in famine systems. Look for Distribution Centers in system when you arrive and then just sit and scan every ship wake with a Frame Shift Wake Scanner. (need to buy and fit one obviously)
This is from memory so hopefully it's still current. You'll find more famine systems in the bubble so would need to head that way.

Last edited:

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the tips! There seems to be plenty of neat stuff on planets like crashed ships and stuff. I'll never see them unless I can get the hang of the coordinates thing.

Your memory is correct, those are the upgrades to grade 5. The little event FD is having for the long weekend will actually mean I can get the grade 5 upgrade with the grade 4 mats. So, if Inara is accurate, the rarest thing I need is Eccentric Hyperspace Trajectories. That said, other than stopping at some USSs last night to see what I could find, I know/knew squat about gathering this stuff.

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
I think that's supposed to be in the Q4 update, with information coming on June 18th.

Yep, we won't see the improvements until the end of the year but we'll learn what is coming one month from now.

Until then I'm playing other games. A lot of people are waiting for this Q4 update.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, we won't see the improvements until the end of the year but we'll learn what is coming one month from now.

Until then I'm playing other games. A lot of people are waiting for this Q4 update.

Might just go ahead and grab a sidewinder or something, or even fly all the way back to the one I left back in the starter system and try a fighter path, at which point I guess it'll make sense for me to buy expansions.

Or I could just play NMS until then I don't know.

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
So does anyone have thoughts or suggestions on the "mid range" combat ships? By that I mean the stuff in the 15-20 mill range. My early grind with the Feds got me access to the Federal Dropship and Assault ship. The Chieftan is also in the same wheelhouse for price point. Don't have access to the Clipper, though I don't know if that's really considered a combat ship specifically.

Just kind of wondering if any of these ships are worth the time to fit and fly for pve stuff. Or is it better to just stick with a Vulture until the more top end stuff becomes financially viable?

Oct 25, 2017
Assault ship is a top brawler. Will cost near 100 to outfit but it hits heavy and flies like large Vulture. Chieftain is another good option as a medium size combat ship.

Heavily outfitted Vulture is your best bang for buck at your range though.

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watching Jurassic World Evolution videos, I hope the ED team gets to use that tech for planets. It's a much smaller scale, of course, but that game looks good. It wouldn't be mistaken for SC but I'd be more than happy with it.

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
2.1 is out on 6/28: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oFmaPCtEtE&feature=youtu.be

Chapter Two of the Beyond series of updates will be available on 28 June 2018.

In this new update, you'll be able to get your hands on the Alliance's newest Chieftain variant: the Alliance Challenger. Plus, you'll get a selection of wing missions, installation interactions, new settlements to explore and a collection of new Guardian weapons and technology from the Tech Brokers to combat the growing Thargoid threat, who will be introducing new Scouts that will buff other Scouts and increase their combat efficiency.

This is the first of the two smaller instalments coming as part of the Elite Dangerous Beyond series of updates, with a larger coming in Q4 of this year, bringing Squadrons and improvements to Mining and Exploration, and much more!

Here is the Challenger, from PC Gamer's article on the release date:
JYB7CiYocBreiBFQ2F55WQ-650-80.jpg

Via reddit, the engines firing up in the teaser are likely the Krait (comparing them to concept images), not the Challenger. So maybe a surprise additional ship?

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah some people in the announcement thread were pretty upset thinking that the Challenger was going to be a stand in for the Krait.

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
So Frontier actually decided to talk a bit today at Lavecon 2018. They even revealed some great information about details of the Q4 patch, including mining and exploration among other things:

Mining - [VID]

• New in-ring scanning mechanism to work out which asteroids are valuable and what they contain.
  • New asteroid looks (eyeballing opportunities?). [PIC] [PIC]
  • Sometimes you'll use traditional mining laser and strip the surface.
  • Some will have fragile resources on surfaces. New technique used.
  • Sometimes just below the surface. New tools and equipment.
  • Giant, high risk, asteroid which needs to be cracked open. Structural weakness and fissures. Placing charges on weak points to shatter the big gold rush asteroids (need to figure out how many is right number [?]). Prospector limpet will give you the info to do this. [PIC]
  • Can do as multicrew. (Maybe one is figuring out charge placements, while one gets the fragile surface stuff pre-explosion, while another prospects for the next rock).
  • Should be skill based. IE expected threats for most part. Some less expected threats = maybe this one is dusty and will lower visibility, maybe you missed a toxic aspect, maybe this one is just really volatile and will blow up almost immediately. A lot of danger, but 'expectable' danger which you can mitigate to some degree. Very risky for first-timers though.
  • New poss discoveries (& threats...?) in more unexplored areas.
Exploration: - [VID]
  • Sensor probes. Fire them around a planet (or rings) will follow a partially-guided orbit (parabolic arc). When close enough to surface will obtain data from large local area. They want you to 'paint' locations. (You can do 'trick shots' using gravity draw. IE you could hit the opposite side of a planet with skill). There will be 'mechanical rewards' [?] for doing efficiently, plus you'll want to do well to avoid synthesising probes all the time. [PIC]
  • Do-able in multicrew.
  • Multicrew exploration rewards.
  • Eliminating need to travel all the way around the planet eyeballing it.
  • When you have full surface data for a planet, you'll get locations of interesting POI. (May be a breadcrumb trail. WIP).
  • Aim is to give you info about whether to proceed, rather than go fairly randomly to see if 'something' is there.
  • Seeding the galaxy with 'discoveries'.
  • Geological / biological / 'phenomena' [?]. Space lightning shown!? [Vid]- EDIT: (NB they confirmed this is not atmospherics - it's in 'the vacuum of space' - see Q&A). Discoveries can be both beneficial and baneful.
  • Going to split galaxy into regions for codex etc
Art
  • Multi suns & scenarios make curating look of the game tricky
  • Look at adaptive lighting. (Aiming to look more 'cinematic'. Does look good). [VID]
  • colour grade can adapt scenes depending on sun light and local events etc
  • Ice shaders look pretty sweet. 'Just one part' of the pass on ice planets. [Vid]
Chapter 2: Q2 - [VID]

• Guardian Larges - shard cannon etc (+ human cannon).
  • Installations now have interactions like megaships + there will be damaged megaships in deep space
  • New locations (tharg infected human sites etc)
  • Challenger is a little bit more manoeuvrable than Chieftain as well as more hitpoints & a bit more armour. [VID]
Q&As
  • Will surface scanners find the crashed ships etc? Yes. [Any interesting site]
  • /missing/
  • How many elites do they have? Mark thinks he might be combat elite, but uses dev account mainly at mo.
  • /missing/
  • More immersive, same, or less in future? Especially re timers etc? Per case basis. Loaded term. Sometimes it's best to keep things instant. Cargo unload for example. Exploration + mining create a little bit of drama if there's time to breath.
  • Tharg attacks on stations. System response is poor, but if you turn up with Scouts they react. When an official in-game thing? -Wait and see.
  • More jaggedy [?] shapes in the ice planets. Work on that? Yes. WIP. Not every environment, but we showed that image for a reason.
  • New lighting. Impact? Zero impact. [? poss misunderstood this]
  • Multi point / star lighting? Currently not on schedule. Have looked at it.
  • Comets? Sandy doesn't know. Are looking at it. Concepts and challenges. Nothing to announce for Q4. We keep going.
  • Humans on moon first or SRVs on the moon? Couldn't tell you.
  • Plans to improve signal sources
  • Lightning bolts in an atmosphere? Safe to say it's 'environments'. It's within the vacuums of space. No atmospheres. No gas giants. Cheekies... ;)
  • Explorations data affecting expansion depending on faction given to? Looking at tweaks and changes to BGS. Nothing to advance re schedule / Q4.
  • /missing/
  • Ship specific modules for explorers / miners / traders? Started with passenger / military modules. Fair bet to say there will be role based modules / specific slots.
  • When SRV in multicrew? Nothing to announce. Not yet. Sorry.
  • GPS for flying to specific co-ords? Have definitely discussed bookmarking system. Can't remember if it's scheduled to make Q4.
  • Poss to get triple elite decal? Can't remember when that's falling. Have discussed.
Watch the video here:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/271209822?t=00h01m52s

Burny

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks a lot for the summary, Mengy! Looks like beginning of 2019 may be a good time to tentatively give Elite another try after all the changes. "Space thunderstorms" (reminds me of a demo of another perpetually unreleased project) and the ice shader look incredible. I hope they also add the detail in vertical, sharp features to the planet surfaces and go beyond the pure smothed height map look.

I'd still really like to know if they're working on a next major, potentially payed addon and how far they're along. Read: space legs and atmospheric world landings. If all of the Elite team is working on these changes and ETA is end of 2018, then I don't think there's a realistic hope of Elite expanding into the mentioned territory within 2019 or '20 even. No idea of how large the team working on Elite is, how much dev resources Frontier has overall and how much is taken up by Planet Coaster and JW Evolution.

SmartBase

Self-requested ban
Dec 17, 2017
What they've shown (but mostly only talked about) is too little and far too late for me. The "new" lighting system got a good chuckle out of me too (still no ETA on multiple light sources)
sos3zUT.png

m4We9w8.jpg

jfyF9jR.jpg

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think Elite will ever be "too late" for me. It's always going to be a game I'll be interested in coming back to. The developers may have bouts of startling stupidity, but they've rarely done anything to just straight up piss me off and repel me from the game.

SmartBase

Self-requested ban
Dec 17, 2017
I don't think Elite will ever be "too late" for me. It's always going to be a game I'll be interested in coming back to. The developers may have bouts of startling stupidity, but they've rarely done anything to just straight up piss me off and repel me from the game.

Every time I try getting back into it I ask myself at what point is it meant to be fun. After amassing credits? After grinding rep? After grinding engineering? After grinding the Guardian ruins? In the end I just stowed the old HOTAS and now spend that same amount of time in more fulfilling experiences.

Valkrai

Oct 25, 2017
I just bought the game on sale for Xbox yet I have absolutely no clue what to do. I can't find places to land either so I'm just drifting around. Any tips or help so I can progress?

Lysistrata

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Paradise Lost
I just bought the game on sale for Xbox yet I have absolutely no clue what to do. I can't find places to land either so I'm just drifting around. Any tips or help so I can progress?

If you are referring to orbital stations rather actual planets, then you can go to star map and sort by Economy then uncheck NONE and that will enable you to see inhabited systems with stations to land in. Planetary bodies with a blue arc around them can be landed upon and some also have bases.
You need to have the Horizons expansion for planetary content.

Deleted member 9650

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I recently started playing with Oculus Touch. Surprisingly great after a week or so. I just use their default controls.

I've been picking at this game every day and enjoying it a lot. I found that trick where you hang out by mining areas and last shot pirates to get the bounties. Unfortunately I don't know where to turn in bounties.

Actually that's a good question for people in here. How do you know what services a station offers before you land there? Is there any way to figure it out on the system map?

Cantaloup

Oct 27, 2017
I've been picking at this game every day and enjoying it a lot. I found that trick where you hang out by mining areas and last shot pirates to get the bounties. Unfortunately I don't know where to turn in bounties.

Actually that's a good question for people in here. How do you know what services a station offers before you land there? Is there any way to figure it out on the system map?

In the System Map, the info pane on the left side lists Facilities in the second tab from the left when your cursor is over a station. You can also use an external resource like eddb.io.

You can turn in your bounties in Contacts > Authority Contact in stations in the system where the bounty was awarded.

Deleted member 9650

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
In the System Map, the info pane on the left side lists Facilities in the second tab from the left when your cursor is over a station. You can also use an external resource like eddb.io.

You can turn in your bounties in Contacts > Authority Contact in stations in the system where the bounty was awarded.

Thank you. I didn't know that I had to turn in the bounty in the same station where it was awarded. I hope it says where I got it on the bounty :)

Also, thank you for the tip about the facilities. I'll double check that next time!

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
So I'm new to this game, bought it on sale yesterday. Don't have Horizons yet but there isn't an OT for the main game so thought I'd come say hello here. Will probably be posting back for tips as I'm finding flying quite difficult lol....got a grip of it enough to travel to some different systems and get some exploration and trading done, and managed to do the combat tutorials, but I'm still very much an idiot and I think dogfighting with a real player would immediately end with me in flames lol.

One thing that confused me is I have a mission to destroy 15 pirates in a specific star system, but there is nothing on the map to indicate where the pirates would be, and everywhere I've been is just federal ships etc. Is it just a case of flying around the system scanning contacts until I bump into them by accident?

Looking forward to get into this game, can already tell there's a lot to get my head around lol. The flying feels absolutely horrible on the PS4 and the turning is way too slow but I'm sure that's just me sucking and I'll learn some tricks sooner or later...

Burny

Oct 26, 2017
One thing that confused me is I have a mission to destroy 15 pirates in a specific star system, but there is nothing on the map to indicate where the pirates would be, and everywhere I've been is just federal ships etc. Is it just a case of flying around the system scanning contacts until I bump into them by accident?

Close. It's a matter of you dropping into the nav beacon and scanning all spawning ships for an hour or so while blowing those up that are wanted pirates of the required faction.

Welcome to Frontier's impeccable game design! Or rather lack thereof.

I'd recommend to drop into a high RES and help security ships blow up wanted ships instead for starting out. Remember to finish scanning them FIRST before firing! Even if security has already opened fire. Otherwise they'll magically know and blow you up for attacking an unknown ship without reason. :p If you're the only player having dealt damage when the wanted shop blows up, you get all the bounty. Not the most profitable activity as well, but you're in less danger of dying of boredom in the nav beacon. It's also a good way to get a better grip of combat and ship control with a bit less risk of getting squashed in the starter ships, since there's usually a lot more system security presence in the high RES.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
Close. It's a matter of you dropping into the nav beacon and scanning all spawning ships for an hour or so while blowing those up that are wanted pirates of the required faction.

Welcome to Frontier's impeccable game design! Or rather lack thereof.

I'd recommend to drop into a high RES and help security ships blow up wanted ships instead for starting out. Remember to finish scanning them FIRST before firing! Even if security has already opened fire. Otherwise they'll magically know and blow you up for attacking an unknown ship without reason. :p If you're the only player having dealt damage when the wanted shop blows up, you get all the bounty. Not the most profitable activity as well, but you're in less danger of dying of boredom in the nav beacon. It's also a good way to get a better grip of combat and ship control with a bit less risk of getting squashed in the starter ships, since there's usually a lot more system security presence in the high RES.

Thanks a lot for that, that does sound like a better option for these early moments. When you say dropping into the NAV beacon, is that the general area I land in when I first jump there? And what's a high RES? Sorry for being dumb but I've only played for a few hours so still piecing things together lol.

Burny

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks a lot for that, that does sound like a better option for these early moments. When you say dropping into the NAV beacon, is that the general area I land in when I first jump there? And what's a high RES? Sorry for being dumb but I've only played for a few hours so still piecing things together lol.

You have super cruise, which is the inter-planetary travel mode you're in when you arrive in a system. From there you see different POIs, e.g. the NAV beacon, signals and the likes. The NAV beacon, if available in the respective system, is usually located very close to the star you arrived at when jumping to the system. You need "drop into it", that means target it, travel to it in supercruise and when close enough, leave suprercruise to enter normal flight, which "drops" you in the nav beacon area in normal flight mode. The nav beacon itself is something like a satelite in that area around which every now and then an AI ship will spawn.

The RES is a "resource extraction site". They're POIs located in rings around planets in some systems, where mining ships, system security and wanted ships spawn. The wanted ships attack the miners and the security keep attacking the wanted ones. RES come in "low", normal, "high" and "hazardous" intensities. High offers the best payouts while still being relatively safe due to system security, while hazardous has powerful wanted ships and next to no security spawning.

In abstract terms, they're the Elite equivalent of mob farming spots for bounties.

This tutorial from ObsidianAnt is old by now and the game has since been expanded, but I can still recommend watching it to get started:

Edit: another snide remark... Since Frontier's game design department seems to be run by bumbling buffoons though, their love of time wasting randomness hasn't made halt of RES either. Since the beginning, RES have been plagued by this stupidity:

Elite Wiki said:
Randomness
A certain randomness directly affects the ship spawn at RES in major ways. Given bad luck, even high-intensity RES within high-security star systems can yield deficient ship spawns.

Ship spawns are seeded randomly in RES and can be re-rolled upon re-entering the RES with no other player present at the site. Logging out and back into the play session is a quick way to reset the ship spawn entirely.

The frequency with which ships spawn can degrade over time even in potent RES. Oftentimes large-bounty targets can be found a good distance away from the RES waypoint at which point upgraded long-range sensors can help with locating those.

You practically have to actively reinstantiate the RES once you've progressed to larger ships and want to do RES hunting, without wasting your evening time. Note to Frontier, not that they'd listen: If your randomness serves no other purpose than wasting people's time unless they relog into the game, get fucking rid of it! Since they don't seem to have learned that lesson between 2014 and now, chances of that happening seem to be the same as chances of Frontier replacing their complete game design department - zero.

So keep in mind: Logging out and in again is required. It's neither immersive nor elegant, but that reflects the entirety of for Elite Dangerous' game design. Still very fun, until you get fed up with it at some point.

Last edited:

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
You have super cruise, which is the inter-planetary travel mode you're in when you arrive in a system. From there you see different POIs, e.g. the NAV beacon, signals and the likes. The NAV beacon, if available in the respective system, is usually located very close to the star you arrived at when jumping to the system. You need "drop into it", that means target it, travel to it in supercruise and when close enough, leave suprercruise to enter normal flight, which "drops" you in the nav beacon area in normal flight mode. The nav beacon itself is something like a satelite in that area around which every now and then an AI ship will spawn.

The RES is a "resource extraction site". They're POIs located in rings around planets in some systems, where mining ships, system security and wanted ships spawn. The wanted ships attack the miners and the security keep attacking the wanted ones. RES come in "low", normal, "high" and "hazardous" intensities. High offers the best payouts while still being relatively safe due to system security, while hazardous has powerful wanted ships and next to no security spawning.

In abstract terms, they're the Elite equivalent of mob farming spots for bounties.

This tutorial from ObsidianAnt is old by now and the game has since been expanded, but I can still recommend watching it to get started:

Oh shit, thanks a lot for that! Can spend all night farming now, will take a look at that video too! I've watched a couple of that guys other videos, very informative.

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe they haven't sorted out RES spawning yet. They should have figured out how to make a spawn table that is fixed for each RES site, but which varies between RES sites depending on the security and politics of the system. Doing the log-in hokey-cokey until you find the spawn table with lots of big ships is really tedious.
They really need to focus more on risk/reward too. Top tier engineer materials should not be gained by sitting in a non-combat zone and scanning stuff with no skill required.
There's some really great gameplay, but too much of it is tedious.
The LaveCon reveal sounds like they're fixing a few things though. Making mining and exploration interesting would really improve things.

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
Why spawns and the like aren't distributed pseudo-randomly to begin with is baffling (as time accrues, increase spawn chance of a quest vessel, decrease it in a small step with a successful spawn, continue increasing spawn chance...). Really would iron out those cases of players spending hours on something that has no right to take that long.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Why spawns and the like aren't distributed pseudo-randomly to begin with is baffling (as time accrues, increase spawn chance of a quest vessel, decrease it in a small step with a successful spawn, continue increasing spawn chance...). Really would iron out those cases of players spending hours on something that has no right to take that long.
Yea

Burny

Oct 26, 2017

IMO most likely an issue caused by personel at Frontier. Look closely and you'll find tons of similar uses of RNG throughout Elite, that essentially serve no other purpose than to waste time.

Hint: Let's start with something at the game's absolute core, like the mission board. Get into a system in war state? No gurarantee you'll find good combat missions. Instead in order to make a sensible profit, you "reroll" the board, meaning you log back in and out after an intervall or cycle through modes in order to collect missions (or you did, while they were stackable).

Seems like either nobody at Frontier had the idea to make it so, that systems in certain states guarantee missions of certain types and certain profitability based on predictable factors. Instead, everything is RNG bullshit. E.g., Faction A offers massacre mission, you can take exactly one and can chose how many ships you want to kill. Instead, you either reroll the mission board or waste play time.

Don't even get me started on the material grind for engineers... The same rubish design handwriting permeates throughout the game and has since its release. At some point, I can only attribute it to personel. Immershun fanatics who like to talk any such criticism away aren't helping either. Which is why I have no hope for the game to approach anything I'd consider "good". They'd have to undo about 4 years of damage their game designers have done by now and that's simply not going to happen.

Is there anything exciting coming tomorrow with 3.1?

Last edited: