• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Burny

Oct 26, 2017

Is that a comment about their Gamescom announcements or lack thereof? Because it would fit it seems. To answer my own question: They won't be showing any content outside of "Beyond":

Ed said:
Hello!

Hope you're all well... genuinely excites me to still see so much enthusiasm for Elite, because believe me, it's an enthusiasm we share in the office (I'd argue our enthusiasm exceeds yours even... but this isn't a competition so I'll stop trying to win it).

Just wanted to set the correct expectations about what we're doing at Gamescom. As with previous Gamescom Frontier Meet events, we've focused on what's coming in the short term with our game releases, we've had giveaways, food and drink, and created a space where you can interact with the developers and meet each other (in some cases for the first time in real life!).

This year will fit the same mould, with us detailing what's still to come as part of Beyond.

As David was quoted in this post, we are still working on Elite Dangerous, and we'll let you know when we're ready to share our plans post-Beyond.

Thanks!

Ed

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
So here is what's coming next week for 3.2, announced at Gamescon:

• New weapons:
    • Large Dumbfire Missiles
    • Large Seeking Missiles
    • Large Torpedo Launcher
    • Large Multicannon Turret
    • Small Shock Cannon T/G/F
    • Small Plasma Launcher T/F
    • Small Shard Cannon T/F
    • Small Gauss Cannon T/F

• Planetary Wing Missions.
  • More narrative
  • Engineers arrive in Colonia
  • New Crusader Ship
  • New Guardian space-based locations, technology
  • New 3.2 Trailer
  • New Guardian-tech SLFs:
    • Trident with Plasma Repeaters
    • Javelin with Shard Cannon
    • Lance with Gauss Cannon

Mostly just a bunch of more combat stuff. Big surprise. Beyond hasn't done very much good for the game so far IMHO.

Burny

Oct 26, 2017

It's not that I wouldn't be down for combat stuff. Those fighter designs look pretty cool.

But in the foreseeable future, I'm done with Elite grind, so not for me.

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Post on the FD forums: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/443558-3-2-Launch-Announcement

Greetings Commanders,

Elite Dangerous: Beyond - Chapter Three is launching on August 28, and is the second of our two smaller content updates before the larger update called Chapter Four at the end of the year. Here's a breakdown of the key features that we talked about at Gamescom:

Guardian Beacons

New Guardian Beacons have been discovered in the galaxy. These will lead you to new discoveries and help you uncover new Guardian secrets. The puzzles you solve at these giant structures will lead you to unlock some incredible new technology.

New Ships – Hybrid Fighters

The Hybrid fighters combine the best of both standard and Guardian technology to make them hyper-effective combat machines. They come in three variants:

• The Trident armed with a plasma charger
  • The Javelin with a shard launcher
  • The Lance with a gauss projector

These ships are light, fast and agile with strong shields to let them dart into the fray. The trade-off, as with other smaller fighters, is that they have weaker hulls.

To acquire a Hybrid fighter blueprint you will need to investigate new Guardian beacons which will point you in the direction of the sites to investigate.

afec3632-62d3-47c8-b44a-10434622b1f0.jpg

New Ship – The Alliance Crusader

A new member of the Alliance ship group, the Crusader acts as a midpoint between the Chieftain and the Challenger with one very important difference: A fighter bay!

a6f63db3-501c-4ec1-a3c9-15fd8c40f894.jpg

Engineers in Colonia!

The Engineers have arrived in Colonia! The engineers will be found at planet bases across the Colonia region and will only be available to players who have purchased the Horizons expansion and have done some engineering previously.

The new Engineers will only make contact with Commanders who have interacted with Felicity Farseer, Elvira Martuuk, The Dweller, Liz Ryder and Tod "The Blaster" Mcquinn. As with all existing Engineers, the new additions will all have to be unlocked before they make their services available.

Given that Colonia is a human colony on the fringe of space, not all technology will be available at first. Commanders out in fringe will need to work together with the Engineers to expand the available tech. That means the more a recipe is used the sooner will the improved version be made available.

Each Engineer will start as level 1 and as usual you will need to complete a request to unlock the engineer before you can upgrade any modules. The community can work together to raise the level of these engineers from 1 to 3! The current grade of the Engineers will be show on a local news article.

cbf015f3-9cee-4b9d-80ff-a6753278db2d.jpg

Wing Missions

Commanders will have the opportunity to take on planetary Wing Missions, further increasing the mission types you can take on with your friends.

More Weapons!

The galaxy grows ever more dangerous, so we've increased the available firepower to help you defend yourselves. The following weapons have been added to outfitting:

• Large Dumbfire Missile
  • Large Seeking Missile
  • Large Torpedo Launcher
  • Large Multi Cannon (turret)

The following weapons have been added to the human tech broker:

• Small Shock Cannon (turret)
  • Small Shock Cannon (gimbal)
  • Small Shock Cannon (fixed)

The following weapons have been added to the Guardian tech Broker

• Small Guardian plasma launcher (turret)
  • Small Guardian plasma launcher (fixed)
  • Small Guardian Shard Cannon (turret)
  • Small Guardian Shard Cannon (fixed)
  • Small Guardian Gauss Cannon (fixed)

Thanks again for your continued support Commanders. We can't wait to see what you think of these new additions! o7

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
I'm starting to wonder just how few of us actually venture outside the bubble for them to completely ignore us for so long.

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm starting to wonder just how few of us actually venture outside the bubble for them to completely ignore us for so long.

A few Frontier devs have stated in the past that it's actually a large percentage of the players who venture outside the bubble. Frontier simply doesn't like developing content for them, not anything substantial at least.

Frontier's combat fixation is consistent. That might be because it's fairly low effort to create weapon and combat ship variants compared to non combat content, or maybe it's just because the devs don't care much for non combat stuff. Just look at the exploration improvements reveal, it's two months late now with no word at all on why or when we can expect it. Probably because they pushed it off til last and now need to cut features to make the Q4 update.

The four year neglect of exploration didn't happen by accident, that was by design, so the fact that it's still at the back of the bus despite finally having an actual update focusing on it really shouldn't surprise anyone. It's not combat content, so it's a lower priority.

It makes me so sad. :(

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's also strange to me how it feels like FD has been so combat-focused these past few years, yet little actual combat changes/improvements have happened. We just get new modules, new ships, and some tweaks to existing ones. Otherwise, entering a CZ or RES mostly plays out the same way it did years ago.

Burny

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe X4 will offer something more deep than Elite's grind when it releases? It will be less shiny than Elite though (probably considerably more niche and smaller budget) and I expect the ship handling to be less enticing.

In German, but some good new footage and explanation of the features nevertheless.

On the other hand, it won't be slowed down by trying to be a MMO, but somehow not daring to be a MMO - see the ridiculous lack of guild/group features in Elite and the total lack of either direct game world influence of players (Eve) or good authored multiplayer content (WoW Raids).

• nearly all ships flyable - from small single seat ships to capital ships
  • levelable AI crew for ships
  • fleet ownership
  • dynamic economy
  • space station ownership and construction
  • mixture of procedural and dynamic universe
  • space legs
Despite the lack of multiplayer, I'll definitely keep an eye on this.

Last edited:

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
We're the community spotlight! *Looks around*

It's not that I wouldn't be down for combat stuff. Those fighter designs look pretty cool.

But in the foreseeable future, I'm done with Elite grind, so not for me.

A few Frontier devs have stated in the past that it's actually a large percentage of the players who venture outside the bubble. Frontier simply doesn't like developing content for them, not anything substantial at least.

Frontier's combat fixation is consistent. That might be because it's fairly low effort to create weapon and combat ship variants compared to non combat content, or maybe it's just because the devs don't care much for non combat stuff. Just look at the exploration improvements reveal, it's two months late now with no word at all on why or when we can expect it. Probably because they pushed it off til last and now need to cut features to make the Q4 update.

The four year neglect of exploration didn't happen by accident, that was by design, so the fact that it's still at the back of the bus despite finally having an actual update focusing on it really shouldn't surprise anyone. It's not combat content, so it's a lower priority.

It makes me so sad. :(

It's also strange to me how it feels like FD has been so combat-focused these past few years, yet little actual combat changes/improvements have happened. We just get new modules, new ships, and some tweaks to existing ones. Otherwise, entering a CZ or RES mostly plays out the same way it did years ago.

Oh... Maybe this was a bad time.

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's definitely a great game especially if you've never played it and dig space and or flight sims. But yeah, waiting for that exploration update.

schatuk

Oct 25, 2017
I'd be interested in the Gnosis trip for a little nose around but I not big on going up against the Thargoids, combat really isn't my bag

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
Shame so many people are down on it at the moment, I know there is sooooooooooooo much more they could be doing with the updates etc and my mind runs wild with incredible things they could do but never will, but there is still an unbelievable amount of content and fun things to investigate, and if you're into upgrading and outfitting spaceships and flying them in a realistic flight sim type game you won't find better anywhere. The roleplaying side of it is like nothing I've ever seen too.

OgTheEnigma

Oct 27, 2017
Liverpool
I'd like to get back into Elite, but I'm mainly waiting for some meaty exploration updates. I hope we hear something by the end of the year.

SmartBase

Self-requested ban
Dec 17, 2017
Maybe X4 will offer something more deep than Elite's grind when it releases? It will be less shiny than Elite though (probably considerably more niche and smaller budget) and I expect the ship handling to be less enticing.

In German, but some good new footage and explanation of the features nevertheless.

On the other hand, it won't be slowed down by trying to be a MMO, but somehow not daring to be a MMO - see the ridiculous lack of guild/group features in Elite and the total lack of either direct game world influence of players (Eve) or good authored multiplayer content (WoW Raids).

• nearly all ships flyable - from small single seat ships to capital ships
  • levelable AI crew for ships
  • fleet ownership
  • dynamic economy
  • space station ownership and construction
  • mixture of procedural and dynamic universe
  • space legs
Despite the lack of multiplayer, I'll definitely keep an eye on this.

It sounds like any of the other X games on steroids which are already far beyond the faked economy systems that Elite has. If it had as visceral a flying experience as Elite I wouldn't play any other space sims.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/444800-Important-Community-Update

TL;DR:
  • Cutting fleet carriers for squadrons from Chapter 4
  • Cutting Ice Planet overhaul from Chapter 4
  • No longer planning paid premium content for 2018 (they were initially)
  • Beginning development on the next big milestone of Elite which will be paid content, no details at all about it yet, release will be a significant amount of time after the final Beyond update.

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017

TL;DR:
  • Beginning development on the next big milestone of Elite which will be paid content, no details at all about it yet, release will be a significant amount of time after the final Beyond update.

WOMP WOMP!!!!

What the heck is wrong with Frontier Developments? Even with this year's meager amount of content to develop, they still fall far behind their own very long drawn out schedules.

Terribly disappointed that the ice planet improvements at least didn't make it in. :(

SmartBase

Self-requested ban
Dec 17, 2017

TL;DR:

Telling, not showing. Par for the course for everything Frontier.

Burny

Oct 26, 2017
While I'm relatively confident in Frontier to eventually bring the ice planet updates and fleet carriers, what I'm most disappointed in is the seemingly "late" start of the next big (payed) update. From pre-production to full production "a while ago"? Mhpf.

That means either it's two years(+) out, or I'm expecting a Horizons situation. Trickle of features delivered months/years after initial release, one more half baked than the other and and none forming a cohesive whole in terms of game mechanics.

Overall makes it easier to ignore Elite for a couple of years and come back at some point.

Nerix

Oct 27, 2017
Curious if it's Space Legs or Atmospheric Landing. It has to be one of those two.

But also looking forward to chapter 4. Hope they'll reveal something soon, the focused feedback is overdue..

zorbsie

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't played in a long time. Have the engineers been fixed? Last time I played the results were so random that sometimes they were worse than the starting stats. Kind of made grinding the engineer mods pointless. I thought I saw that they were looking into fixing that but not sure if it was implemented.

Cantaloup

Oct 27, 2017
Haven't played in a long time. Have the engineers been fixed? Last time I played the results were so random that sometimes they were worse than the starting stats. Kind of made grinding the engineer mods pointless. I thought I saw that they were looking into fixing that but not sure if it was implemented.

They changed engineers awhile ago. Now you always get an improvement, but the amount of improvement is randomized. Experimental effects that used to be gained randomly can now be applied on demand.

Oct 25, 2017
Curious if it's Space Legs or Atmospheric Landing. It has to be one of those two.

But also looking forward to chapter 4. Hope they'll reveal something soon, the focused feedback is overdue..

I'm guessing it's atmospherics, hence why ice planets are pushed back. I'd love to see gas planets in so you can scoop materials and have that rickety flight experiance coasting though enormous gas formations.

Deleted member 35941

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 11, 2017
I love this game a lot, need to get back into it once they release some more content for it. I spent a weeks holiday once doing one of those insane explorer passenger missions close to the centre with a 25ly jump range in a Cobra. Thankfully I have an Anaconda now with a decent jump range thanks to engineers.

Looking forward to what they will do next, hoping for some more exploration type things as that's what I dig most about this game. And I still need to visit Sagittarius A...

MrLuchador

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
The winter of 2016 I started the voyage out to Colonia. It is now September 2018 and I'm 300 20LY jumps away. The T6 will do it. It will deliver the 40 units of clothes I promised those people nearly 24 months ago.

deltabreak

Oct 29, 2017
Does this game use the arrow keys and numpad? Because my right arrow key doesn't work and my keyboard doesn't have a numpad.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know it says 60fps but I hope it's not capped at that.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol totally wrong thread. Meant to post that in the Dragon Quest one.

snesiscool

Feb 15, 2018
Does this game use the arrow keys and numpad? Because my right arrow key doesn't work and my keyboard doesn't have a numpad.

By default, the arrow keys are used for power distribution - specifically, the right arrow is used to give power to the weapons capacitor. The numpad isn't used at all.

EDIT: Just remembered that the numpad is used for some camera controls in the free camera mode, so it's not something you need to worry about unless you like taking in-game pictures.

Last edited:

Burny

Oct 26, 2017
By default, the arrow keys are used for power distribution - specifically, the right arrow is used to give power to the weapons capacitor. The numpad isn't used at all.

You're right, I totally forgot about that! Because that default layout is utterly moronic. I bound the energy distributions to the 1-4 keys above WASD. That way you can actually use them while controlling the ship. On the arrow keys, you'd have to remove your hand from controlling lateral thrust to configure energy distribution. Less than ideal.

An alternative would be to use Voice Attack to configure makros. But that seems best suited to more "relaxing" trade runs, rather than fast paced combat.

Last edited:

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
I know this is a very broad question, but...what's the general gameplay loop right now?

The crime and punishment system, ship stats screens, terminologies, etc, all really got me lost the last time I played, and once I was ready to get serious and do something more than just small-time courier missions, I actually couldn't find out what anything really meant, even accidentally taking an illegal mission not knowing it was illegal. But it seems like I was only wanted by a certain faction and no authority came after me. Am I doing something wrong, is the game fairly straightforward and I missed something? Or is the game just not going to be for me if I don't like having to look up everything?

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
I know this is a very broad question, but...what's the general gameplay loop right now?

The crime and punishment system, ship stats screens, terminologies, etc, all really got me lost the last time I played, and once I was ready to get serious and do something more than just small-time courier missions, I actually couldn't find out what anything really meant, even accidentally taking an illegal mission not knowing it was illegal. But it seems like I was only wanted by a certain faction and no authority came after me. Am I doing something wrong, is the game fairly straightforward and I missed something? Or is the game just not going to be for me if I don't like having to look up everything?
Not much has changed. It's still a very "no tutorials allowed" game. Everyone I know play with either a tablet (on console) or of course a browser on PC with all the usual: inara, eddb, edtd, etc.

Edit: You don't always need them of course, but there's always a point where you need to confirm something. Like where exactly are you supposed to get this material, or where you can get that module without having to dock to dozens of stations to find them, etc.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
Not much has changed. It's still a very "no tutorials allowed" game. Everyone I know play with either a tablet (on console) or of course a browser on PC with all the usual: inara, eddb, edtd, etc.

Edit: You don't always need them of course, but there's always a point where you need to confirm something. Like where exactly are you supposed to get this material, or where you can get that module without having to dock to dozens of stations to find them, etc.
Yeah with VR it's really difficult because I have to pull myself out of the game everytime I want to look something up, it's what's keeping me from really getting into the game more.

Caesar III

Jan 3, 2018
Haven't played in a long time. The new updates are not helping here though :(

I'm glad I have the all-time update tier. I hope the next paid content is better again.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I was planning to check out this game again today but reading everything over at their forums kinda put me off. I kinda think them opting for Elite, Planet Coaster and Jurassic World evolution has spread them a bit thin.

Development issues aside though there's nothing to really pull me into the game. The thargoids are here now. I honestly preferred the days of solving the mysteries with cannon. A group that is no longer really present at the forums since they were asked to split their topics up instead of have a centralised thread.

My process was always check the cannon thread, see what's the hot topic and get involved. Well now that's basically gone I don't actually know what to do when I feel like playing it anymore.

Yeah with VR it's really difficult because I have to pull myself out of the game everytime I want to look something up, it's what's keeping me from really getting into the game more.

Depending on which headset you use the should be solutions. There's an app for opening an in VR window for Vive but I forget the name. Streamers use it for chat. Oculus has it built in and you can just pin any windows you need. It's not ideal but it's something at least.

Burny

Oct 26, 2017
I was planning to check out this game again today but reading everything over at their forums kinda put me off. I kinda think them opting for Elite, Planet Coaster and Jurassic World evolution has spread them a bit thin.

Not just those. They seem to be working on a fourth game. Smart from a business perspective probably and in the long run it might even benefit Elite, as it might fund its continued development more reliably then selling ship skins and space spoilers.

Still, it's very notable that they haven't been developing Elite as fast in terms of features as I'd like. And those existing features and the recently added content puts me off just by thinking about the grind involved.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Based on this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frontier_Developments

Number of employees: 312 (2017)

With 3 games, that's roughly 100 people per game.

That's not a small number. Like at all.

Elite ain't your usual AAA where you can just add some people to model a few more cars, weapons, buildings, maps, cities, whatever.

I have little doubt they're doing all they can to add/implement as many things as possible, even if I too find the recent releases (updates) to be mildly disappointing.