• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Not just those. They seem to be working on a fourth game. Smart from a business perspective probably and in the long run it might even benefit Elite, as it might fund its continued development more reliably then selling ship skins and space spoilers.

Still, it's very notable that they haven't been developing Elite as fast in terms of features as I'd like. And those existing features and the recently added content puts me off just by thinking about the grind involved.

Oh yeah this is no doubt a smart thing for them to do financially, and maybe even for the fans in the long run. But yeah features are getting further spread than I expected personally. I really figured we'd get one big new feature this year at least ala horizons.

I feel like their Galnet really doesn't suffice either. I only found out that cannon are actually still around and about to jump into uncharted space on Thursday thanks to ObsidianAnt. To be honest his youtube is the best place to get an idea of what's going on in game too, better than their official channels IMO

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That Gnosis jump into unknown/unvisited sectors, what a fucking joke.

FDev handled that very poorly.

Going back home.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That Gnosis jump into unknown/unvisited sectors, what a fucking joke.

FDev handled that very poorly.

Going back home.

Yeah they truly screwed it with that one. I'd only found out about it through ObsidianAnt just in time to get there. It's the only time I bothered logging in this year and what a disappointment it was.

I'll take a look at whatever they release as their big update next year, but seriously, stuff like this pushes me closer to just never looking back on the game again.

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
I thought the Gnosis thing was great. They may not have handled it perfectly, but I kept my expectations in check and had a blast when I logged back in after the jump.
The atmospherics, dog-fighting around the stranded megaship, the number of other CMDRs making the event feel more alive...

If you equipped yourself solely for exploration while knowing you were heading into uncharted space that was reported to be swarming with Thargoids, then you have yourself to blame to an extent.

Burny

Oct 26, 2017
Another potential game to play for people who love(d) Elite: Rebel Galaxy Outlaw

Looks pretty good to me. Less serious "simulation", more Rock and GTA in Space.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
Yep Gnosis went great, I agree. Don't know how much more people were expecting. Rebel Galaxy is looking great too, graphics are awesome. I enjoyed the first one and you can go up and down now lol.

Sidenote, were we removed from being the spotlight community for being too quiet? We definitely weren't there for a whole month haha.

Last edited:

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/447043-Chapter-Four-Exploration-Reveal

Their own summary (check out rest of the post for details for each):

Benefits of Exploration Improvements
  • Make exploration more involved: By introducing a process we aim to make exploration feel more meaningful, making the results more satisfying and rewarding.
  • Replace flying time with gameplay: We want to reduce the amount of time you have to spend flying to a planet just to discover it. The only time we want you to fly to a planet is because you want to visit it as there's something there you want to see or do. Ultimately that will make exploring planetary bodies and getting first discoveries in a system quicker and more engaging at the same time.
  • Remove Random USS Spawning: You will now be able to use your skill to locate signal sources rather than rely on luck. you will have the ability to identify a USS from anywhere in the system and then explore and discover these locations.
  • Reduce the time to find planet surface locations: You will now be able to employ game play to make searching out interesting surface locations/POIs quicker and more interesting rather than flying across the planet in low orbit.
  • Improve multiplayer exploration: With both of the module upgrades we are making sure that wings and multi-crew are supported.
  • Holistic System:The improvements to exploration mechanics tie together not just new discoveries, but mining, missions and signal source location in one package.
  • All new "First mapped": You'll be able to add a first mapped across any planet within the galaxy, including within the bubble. Giving all players that have joined the game since it's launch even more opportunity to make their mark on the galaxy.

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sounds cool, although that explanation of the system scanner didn't make much sense to me--need to see something like that in practice.

I'm glad they're thoughtful enough for stuff like this, though:
To allow for skilled play you can aim probes away from the planet, allowing them to arc around it, potentially letting you hit the surface on far side of the planet. If you aim too far away, the probe will fly right past and miss, but by using mass and size information displayed on the HUD you will be able to lob probes and get full coverage without having to fly around the planet.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
The more I read of this "new and improved" exploration system, the more I think they don't understand what explorers like me actually want.

All they're really doing is increasing the amount of time and gameplay involved in finding things. No more toot-and-scoot, you have to spend time in a system to figure out if anything's there that's worth your time. Gone will be the days of actually making a few thousand light years in a single session.

And they seem to be spending an inordinate amount of effort to link exploration systems to USS and combat zones... two things that don't exist once you leave the bubble.

I, for one, didn't want exploration to be more involved. I wanted it to be worthwhile. It's about what I find rather than how I find it. But it looks like they won't be changing that. No new worlds, no atmospheric landings, no new aliens or life or structures to find. Same shitty planets, now it just takes a lot longer to find out they're shitty.

Burny

Oct 26, 2017
I, for one, didn't want exploration to be more involved. I wanted it to be worthwhile. It's about what I find rather than how I find it. But it looks like they won't be changing that. No new worlds, no atmospheric landings, no new aliens or life or structures to find. Same shitty planets, now it just takes a lot longer to find out they're shitty.

Disclaimer: I haven't read up on what they plan to change and how. But from my previous experience with exploration I'd have argued for changes to how exploration works first, before adding more things to explore. It's not mutually exclusive, but I felt about the current exploration mechanics that I'd be in danger of suffering brain damage from underuse/boredom. It's literally mostly driving in circles around suns, pressing the "J" key and waiting a lot, pointing your ship at locations, waiting until you're close enough and holding the scanner trigger for a while. Things to discover? Geysirs spewing differently colored/shaped particles. Rocks to shoot at. Things to fire your scanner at with nearly no interlocking mechanics/immediately useful ingame reward.

What are more static 3D meshes to find worth, when there's nearly zero interactivity with them? Plus the way to discover them is a brute force search of the Elite Galaxy or triangulating star formations in Elite Youtube trailers showing the new locations, rather than sensible ingame means to discover and do something with them?

We'll see if their planned changes turn the exploration mechanics into something more involved then the current braindead "hit J" - sorry, watch Netflix - marathon. But in theory, I'm very much for fleshing out the underlying exploration mechanics first and then continuing to add new things to discover them with.

Edit: But I also agree that just turning the current exploration process into more tedium without changing payout (discovery of interesting things/credits/whatever) is a very, very bad idea. Just like forcing players into the SRV to discover ground POIs was. Why not give players hints from the ship scanner and let them discover things from the ship in Horizons? We can't have that! Frontier implemented a shiny new SRV, it must not go unused => force additional tedium on players. At least that's what their logic seemed to be when Horizons was released in 2015.

IMO, what current exploration scans provide should be trivialized. The mechanic to scan every single system is utterly trivial, but hellishly tedious after all. E.g. give surface information on all planets of a system with an advanced scan. But give additional beenfits - payout, discoveries or similar - for closer investigation. Ideally with a hint of where to look for after the system scan.

Edit 2: I may be a bad source for wishes for Elite changes to listen to though. :p If I'd be asked for how to change the game, I'd unabashedly ask for teleportation between stations (with a shipyard) that players have already visited, so long as the ship's cargo hold etc. is empty and the ship can in theory plot a course to the target station (sufficient jump range). Just about any RPG that was designed this side of the millenium allows for teleportation between defined points and doesn't force players to trot through its whole world just to visit various places again. Of course players may chose to ignore the option, but that's what respecting a player's time and handing the agenda to the player is for you. Not one of Elite's strengths and the primary reason I eventually stopped playing.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone ever have any experience playing elite with a controller?
I've only ever done mouse and keyboard and HOTAS, I kinda wanna give it a shot with a controller since I think that might be rather comfy

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chapter four announcement trailer :

More informations about the PC beta (open for every owner of the game), starting 30th October : https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/451045-Beyond-Chapter-Four-Beta-Announcement

a7fd4f74-d072-11e8-a8d5-f2801f1b9fd1.png

And scheduled streams showing the new features/changes :
  • Exploration, Codex and Visual Improvements – 18 October (19:00 BST)
  • BGS and Scenario Interactions – 25 October (19:00 BST)
  • Squadrons – 30 October (19:00 GMT)
  • Mining – 01 November (19:00 GMT)
  • The Ships – 8 November (19:00 GMT)

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
Anyone know when that update is due for PS4? Will it all come at once as opposed to rolling out like the Beta above?

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
So is there gonna be anything to explore on planet surfaces? For pure explorers there has been basically no reason to buy anything beyond the original 2014 game, no reason to actually land on a planet.

Edit: Oh, and it looks like Space Engine is coming to Steam soon.

Last edited:

Burny

Oct 26, 2017

That sounds like an (American) footbal club. ^^

Details on the exploration update in the live stream recording - about three years overdue (Horizons released at the end of 2015). But exploration is finally being fleshed out nonetheless!

• Orrery map (very end of stream)
  • More involved planet scans from a static position anywhere in the system.
  • Probing of planet surfaces for mapping and a "first mapped by" tag, similar to first discovered tag, when selling the probe data in a station.
  • Another player entering the system you already discovered/probed will have that information available.
  • Planet night side is now really dark and you may activate nightvision.
  • Cockpit "dims" light of the suns, so pilot may directly look into them (normal). Damaged cockpit with hole will apparently have a special effect when looking into a sun.
  • New "sun rays" effect in foggy asteroid fields, being blocked by the asteroids.
  • Codex as collection of all kinds of info. Audio logs, "rumored", "reported" and "discovered" items as means to give players hints about things to find in the galaxy. Also a knowledge base with fluff texts, which are also voiced.

Edit: Summary by ObsidianAnt, showing just the new footage without all the whaffling.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2507

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, is there good planetary exploration stuff coming or not?
That list doesn't seem to indicate that there's interesting stuff to find, just mechanical stuff.

Burny

Oct 26, 2017
So, is there good planetary exploration stuff coming or not?

No specific info on anything. Not that they'd ever outright announce adding new alien structures or similar. If there is though, the probes should be a big help in locating it, once you're next to a planet with anything interesting on it.

SmartBase

Self-requested ban
Dec 17, 2017
Main things I'd say I might be looking forward to:
-bountyhunting with nightvision
-no more random USS
-codex

Good thing there are a few more livestreams left, I really couldn't care less about scanning barren rocks for anything interesting.

Burny

Oct 26, 2017
...I really couldn't care less about scanning barren rocks for anything interesting.

Exploration until now in a nutshell. Fortunately, the Codex seems to introduce ingame means of giving hints for scavenger hunts. Items being "rumored" as means of giving hints about what and where to look for, "reported" once a player has discovered it and "discovered" once you've visited it yourself.

In theory, that sound a lot more fun than having to follow hundreds of pages of explorer threads on their forums or watching youtube videos.

SmartBase

Self-requested ban
Dec 17, 2017
Exploration until now in a nutshell. Fortunately, the Codex seems to introduce ingame means of giving hints for scavenger hunts. Items being "rumored" as means of giving hints about what and where to look for, "reported" once a player has discovered it and "discovered" once you've visited it yourself.

In theory, that sound a lot more fun than having to follow hundreds of pages of explorer threads on their forums or watching youtube videos.

That was sort of my point, findings things will be more involved (should've been like that since 16.12.2014) but it's just more boring copy pasted content to scan, shoot, relog and repeat.

Burny

Oct 26, 2017
That was sort of my point, findings things will be more involved (should've been like that since 16.12.2014) but it's just more boring copy pasted content to scan, shoot, relog and repeat.

The chances of you being right there might be 99%, but I'll give it a shot nonetheless. Who knows? Maybe there'll be fun scenarios to discover that don't just include scanning, scooping and relogging to fill a bar. After having spend half an hour googling and figuring out where to go, what to scan and scoop and when to relog.

Since they utterly inflated my hype for the 2.3 multicrew update by announcing that they'd gimp payouts for crew members, this is the first update to Elite which makes me interested in the game again. it sounds like they're finally replacing a game mechanic (exploration) that has so far felt like a mere placeholder with an actually designed and hopefully compelling mechanic. Maybe my sim-rig will also be in a playable, non deconstructed/perpetual WIP state again, once the update drops.

Last edited:

SmartBase

Self-requested ban
Dec 17, 2017
The chances of you being right there might be 99%, but I'll give it a shot nonetheless. Who knows? Maybe there'll be fun scenarios to discover that don't just include scanning, scooping and relogging to fill a bar. After having spend half an hour googling and figuring out where to go, what to scan and scoop and when to relog.

Since they utterly inflated my hype for the 2.3 multicrew update by announcing that they'd gimp payouts for crew members, this is the first update to Elite which makes me interested in the game again. it sounds like they're finally replacing a game mechanic (exploration) that has so far felt like a mere placeholder with an actually designed and hopefully compelling mechanic. Maybe my sim-rig will also be in a playable, non deconstructed/perpetual WIP state again, once the update drops.

Oh I'll definitely be giving it a try too but 4 years since the beta I can't expect much deviance from previous release behaviour.

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ED feels like it has very much the same problem as MWO. In both cases, the base game is pretty solid, base gameplay is good, overall there are good ideas, all that. But neither developer feels like they have vision for the game, get what is it that's holding the game back, or have good ideas how to fix or balance things.

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ended up reinstalling this. Everything else i wanted to play kept crashing, not sure that bodes well for flying in this game.

Logging back in, i was very confused, not knowing where i was, why i was flying a Cobra III, and why i had fitted it as i had. My last memory was flying a Keelback, which evidently wasn't true, though since my Keelback was in the same station...

Not sure what to do. Kind of thinking for working toward Federation ranks as i do have long-term goal in the Corvette. Pity the Federation has no "Federal Eagle" or something small equivalent of the Imperial Courier as a stepping-stone toward mid-sized ships, either ship type could look nice with boxy and angular Federation styling.

Probably should start working on engineers as well.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I'm really happy they're maki g the dark side of moons dark again. It was one of my biggest complaints, as the artificial brightening was making headlights redundant and irrelevant. and the funniest thing about it was during the Horizons beta, planets stayed dark and it was super fun riding around in the pitch black and relying on the headlights. Glad to see that coming back, if I understand the changes correctly.

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OK, i'm insane.
After some pondering, i decided to buy a Diamondback Scout for planetary exploration/missions, on the account of the Keelback being unwieldy and slow. DBS, because it is cheap and i merely want to try something else for now.
Of course, since i'm someone who values versatility and like running illicit cargo, i ditched the shield generator and put in cargo hold along with SRV bay and sensors. After some flying, i figured that yeah, i can fly this thing without shields no problem, as long as i'm patient and take care.
Then, i see a low-skill wanted Type-6. Naturally i attack... only to find myself losing, because i'm not particularly good combat pilot. The best part, or maybe the worst, is that the Type-6 has dumbfire missiles for some reason, and the AI ended up using them pretty well, not to mention its first hit really screwing over my weapons... Fortunately i managed to run away, at least the A-rated thrusters were good for something even if i couldn't take advantage of the agility they give, really should've avoided even getting hit in the first place.

Probably should train shieldless combat before trying it, get cheap Eagle without shield generator and see how long i can stay alive.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
OK, i'm insane.
After some pondering, i decided to buy a Diamondback Scout for planetary exploration/missions, on the account of the Keelback being unwieldy and slow. DBS, because it is cheap and i merely want to try something else for now.
Of course, since i'm someone who values versatility and like running illicit cargo, i ditched the shield generator and put in cargo hold along with SRV bay and sensors. After some flying, i figured that yeah, i can fly this thing without shields no problem, as long as i'm patient and take care.
Then, i see a low-skill wanted Type-6. Naturally i attack... only to find myself losing, because i'm not particularly good combat pilot. The best part, or maybe the worst, is that the Type-6 has dumbfire missiles for some reason, and the AI ended up using them pretty well, not to mention its first hit really screwing over my weapons... Fortunately i managed to run away, at least the A-rated thrusters were good for something even if i couldn't take advantage of the agility they give, really should've avoided even getting hit in the first place.

Probably should train shieldless combat before trying it, get cheap Eagle without shield generator and see how long i can stay alive.

Lol you're brave, I try to shield tank a lot, doesn't really work out for me against multiple tougher opponents though, maybe I should try what you're doing too

Burny

Oct 26, 2017
Good summary of BGS and scenario info revealed in Frontier's live stream.

Overall, much more voice acting, more directed scenarios and encounters (E. g. mega ship attacks, win condition in conflict zones), BGS effects more clearly communicated, multiple states per system and more powerful scanner/orrery map for locating targets/encounters in the system without random proximity based spawns. Oh, and a free alternative ship voice.

Oct 25, 2017
Conflict zones having a victory condition and mini-boses is a great addition. I think I'll actually reinstall this for the update

Last edited:

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whoah, beam lasers are fun, way more so than pulse lasers. (I'd like bursts but unfortunately they kinda suck.) Testing pairs of beams and cannons, rather than the usual pulses and multicannons.

Currently flying the Viper IV. Figured i'd want combat and exploration, and the Diamondback Scout didn't feel quite right so i didn't want to get the DB Explorer.

EDIT Oh and is there really any point to A-rated sensors over Ds? The extra range saves time some traveling while bounty hunting but frankly i'm not sure it is really worth the extra mass and penalties from that, as small as those may be.

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The game really could use some better in-game guidance for some things. Like how the hell do ranks work. Checking wiki, i need to do a mission when i'm at 100% rank, OK then. But really couldn't figure out this in-game. If there was a message, it got lost among many, many other messages i got at once due to mission stacking and resulting time bonus offer spam.

Really, just an UI screen that shows faction and superpower status, along with explanations how things work would be nice.
Or better yet, there should be a help-encyclopedia in-game, like how Civilization series later entries have. ED isn't the only game that could use one, though.

Slightly uncertain what my medium term goal is. Long term, rank up in the Federation and get a Corvette (mostly because i like how that ship looks), short term i need to get cash.
Kinda interested in going to take part in the Thargoid conflict, do some exploration on the side around that place maybe. But i wonder what i need for that?

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
After some pondering, i decided to buy a Diamondback Scout for planetary exploration/missions, on the account of the Keelback being unwieldy and slow

So is there planetary exploration stuff?

The stream didn't seem to indicate they were adding anything exploration-related on planet surfaces.

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So is there planetary exploration stuff?

The stream didn't seem to indicate they were adding anything exploration-related on planet surfaces.
I haven't followed Beyond news closely, no idea.
I bought the DBS earlier for planetary exploration simply because i like driving around planets. If the next patch makes stuff better, good, if not, oh, well.

I did sell the DBS though, it didn't really suit my purposes, unlike my current Viper IV which allows for both exploration and combat.

And i'm in a bind here. I managed to get a bounty due to picking a bad mission... and i'm in Ceos. As far as i can determine, there is no Interstellar Factor anywhere near, and turning myself in will probably teleport me to the bubble. Of course, not turning myself in means i can't do missions here... Oh, well, i can get back here later if i really need to.
EDIT Wtf, there's supposed to be an IF in Almagest but the in-game map is not showing it? A bug?
EDIT Wait, i need to have visited a place and it needs to be close enough to know the services it offers? What kind of nonsense is this? I'll just use third party tools to find those services then! Apparently there's a place 50ly from my position where i can get my bounty cleared. 600 credits. Seriously. The current crime system is kinda stupid, low bounties should be "fines" until certain threshold when they become local bounties, and then interstellar bounties.

Last edited: